Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire

Incognito

Banned
3. I just realised that in chapter fifteen in 2004 president Lebed announced exclusion of Azerbaijan from UIS. However take into consideration that this republic have rich oil resources. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Oil_Reserves.png

If Moscow was able to hold Chechenya, why they cannot hold Azerbaijan? Yes, it have its price, but also it give much benefits.
I know this was not addressed to me, but it my personal pet peeve when people seem not to read what was written. in the update you referred to it was said that though Azerbijan was kicked out, UIS would get a cut of the oil profits for the next 100 years (!) as payment for the war on terror that was fought there.

There were also hints as to how UIS was able to hold Chechnya: Azerbijan was apparently dealing with a Chechen refugee problem and it was theorized (in the update) that one of the reasons why Lebed kicked Azerbijan out was so that UIS could wash its hands of the displaced Chechen population.

I know this was not addressed to me, but it my personal pet peeve when people seem not to read what was written. in the update you referred to it was said that though Azerbijan was kicked out, UIS would get a cut of the oil profits for the next 100 years (!) as payment for the war on terror that was fought there.

God, I forgot that. :mad: Sorry for my stupid question. I already edit it, just ignore my question.

Last edited:
So I guess this means that there will be a massive Chechen diaspora around the world by the time Zhirinovsky is done as President of the UIS.

So I guess this means that there will be a massive Chechen diaspora around the world by the time Zhirinovsky is done as President of the UIS.

If there are any Chechens left, as the prologue seems to imply something very bad happened to them under Volodya. For example, the one sole survivor of the massacre at Grozny being present at Volodya's eventual trial.

PART FORTY THREE: THE REAL TERRORISTS

Some new names in this update:

Former ISI Director General Shamsur Kallu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamsur_Rahman_Kallu

Former ISI Director Javed Qazi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javed_Ashraf_Qazi

Former ISI Director Ghulam Kahn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghulam_Jilani_Khan

The 1993 Pakistani General Elections

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistani_general_election,_1993

CNN interview with James Baker, former Secretary of State under President George H.W. Bush

July 13, 1997

CNN: You criticized President Kerrey for his inability to maintain UN sanctions on the UIS and Russia after elections on September of 1993. But President Kerrey was able to keep almost every western nation from normalizing relations with Russia and the UIS. Considering these countries carried more weight, economically speaking, isn’t it safe to say he really did keep sanctions in place?

Baker: President Kerrey badly miscalculated how the elections would go. First of all, his refusal to recognize the legitimacy of the Zhirinovsky victory citing a lack of voting centers in places like Grozny looked to many in Russia to be pure hypocrisy. Most felt that the reason Russia lost control over Chechnya was because of American intervention. Second, the refusal to recognize the Zhirinovsky victory because he failed to get “50 percent” of the total votes also rubbed people the wrong way in Russia. Kerrey himself failed to get 50% of the electorate. But he wasn’t required to take part in a run-off election as he was insisting Zhirinovsky do. Basically, it looked like we were telling the world that we believed in democracy…assuming you voted for who we wanted you to vote for.

CNN: But what could President Kerrey have done in that situation? The UN sanctions were tethered to Resolution 821, which tied sanctions to a free and democratic election?

Baker: That was his first mistake. It should never have been about democracy. It sounds good on paper and it makes the liberals feel good, but the sanctions were put in place for an entirely different reason by President Bush.

CNN: What reason was that?

Baker: Occupation, pure and simple. President Bush wanted Russia out of Croatia and Romania.

UIS Presidential Candidate Vladimir Putin in an interview with the BBC on August 1, 2011.

Discussing the aftermath of the election of 1993.

BBC: Many people in the UIS say that your support of Mikhail Arutyunov was what eventually cost you your job as head of the KGB in 1995. They say by supporting Arutyunov, you made a powerful enemy in Vladimir Zhirinovsky.

Putin: That is absurd. Although we were divided at first, the 16-man committee for state security and defense was ultimately very happy with the election of Vladimir Zhirinovsky as President. I was forced out of the KGB due to my desire to enter politics and run for President of Russia in 1996.

BBC: But sanctions by and large remained in place because of the Zhirinovsky election. How could the junta be happy with this?

Putin: For one thing we increasingly believed that the sanctions were going to remain in place regardless of who won the election, at least if the Americans had any say in the matter. After the election China and India restored relations with us, and that ultimately was all we needed to keep afloat. Besides, we had more pressing matters to deal with.

BBC: More pressing matters than the sanctions?

Putin: Yes. We were happy that Zhirinovsky won the election because we needed him as a scapegoat for one more operation. We had a problem that could no longer wait and required our immediate attention.

BBC: What problem was that?

Putin: Terrorism.

“My Russia- An Autobiography by former Russian Prime Minister Gennady Burbulis”

Published by Interbook, © 1998

CHAPTER FIFTY FOUR

Vladimir Zhirinovsky smiled as the cabinet all stood up to applaud his stunning election victory. Even those who openly called for his ouster were coming up and shaking his hand as he patted them on the back.

“Comrade Burbulis,” he said with a smile as he approached me, “I want to congratulate you as well on your election victory. I am happy to see you in the Duma, we need strong men like you to serve Mother Russia, but I must admit I will hate to see you leave as Secretary of State.”

I smiled as I took his hand. I knew that was a lie. He never trusted me after the 1992 Revolution and he was desperate to have me removed from my position. And the 16-man Committee for State Security and Defense was eager to be rid of me as well. But although the Russian people gave him the opportunity to finish his term, they also swept out nearly every Zhirinovsky supporter in the Parliament. When the new Duma would take over on January 1st of the New Year, Vladimir Zhirinovsky would be facing a much different and much more hostile Parliament. He figured that since I ran as an independent that perhaps I would be willing to work closely with him. But I had no plans of rolling over for him.

“Now Comrades,” Zhirinovsky said as he took a seat next to me, “we must decide how we are going to deal with this Chechen problem.”

“If not for the Georgians there would be no Chechen problem,” General Troshev, military commander of the occupied Republic of Azerbaijan said angrily, “the Americans are sending weapons into Georgia to go to the Chechens. If the Georgians closed their border there would be no rebellion.”

“There is little question that the Georgians are planning their own rebellion,” General Filatov replied, “they are just using the Chechens to see how firm our response will be, and to see how well American weapons will fare against the Russian military.”

“The Ukrainians and Armenians have indicated they will not send troops either,” General Troshev added, “they say this is our problem, not theirs. And President Lukyanov seems unwilling to challenge them on that.”

UIS President Lukyanov had long since lost his ability to control the other republics, and this blatant refusal by the Ukrainians and Armenians was living proof of that. The Ukrainians and Armenians were willing to go along with Croatia and Bosnia because it was only Russian troops involved in the intervention, but this was simply too much for them. They were tired of being tied to a military that was obviously stretching itself too far. I grew angry knowing that Zhirinovsky and these generals created this monster. By castrating the office of President of the UIS how could they expect him to control these other republics? How could they expect him to control the UIS military that he was mandated to control by our constitution? They made him a figurehead and now they were angry that he was acting like one!

“Well what are we going to do then?” I asked angrily. “The Russian President has no independent authority over the military. Do we send the Moscow police to liberate Chechnya?”

“We have already prepared for that problem,” Vice President Zavidiya replied, “tomorrow there will be a special session of the Duma to authorize new sweeping anti-terrorism laws for the President. Once we get these laws passed President Zhirinovsky will have the authority to take control of Russian troops to deal with this problem.”

“That is a lame duck parliament!” I screamed as I jumped out of my chair. “You are simply doing this to try and strip the Duma of power before the new legislature takes over! This is nothing short of a coup!”

“Mr. Burbulis,” General Lebed said coldly from his chair, “perhaps you didn’t notice, but the Chechens declared war on us and we have 103 dead civilians to prove it.”

“Pardon me Marshal Lebed,” I fired back angrily, “but if I recall correctly, it was the Pakistanis who were behind this! Do we have any plans to deal with the real terrorists?”

“Don’t worry about Pakistan,” KGB Director Putin said, “I have already taken steps to address that…problem.”

Terrorists strike the heart of Pakistan’s military as country heads to the polls

The Economist
October 6, 1993

carbomb6_zpsbc7129f1.jpg

A car bomb kills former ISI Director Ghulam Kahn as he drove to the polls to vote

(ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN)- As Pakistanis headed to the polls to vote for a new Prime Minister today, a series of car bombings and assassinations across the country have rocked the nation. Outgoing Prime Minister Moeenuddin Qureshi declared martial law and called on the military to help restore order. But in a shocking development, many inside of Pakistan wonder if the military, and more specifically the Inter-Services Intelligence agency of the military, will be able to survive this series of assassinations. It is believed that at least twenty-three top leaders of the ISI were killed. This includes ISI Director General Javed Ashraf Qazi, whose car exploded as he was heading to the polls to vote. Two retired former directors of the ISI were also killed by car bombs as they went to vote: Ghulam Jilani Khan and General Shamsur Rahman Kallu.

“The ISI has tremendous autonomy inside of Pakistan,” commented a British diplomat, “and this attack on their leadership has badly weakened the agency which, at times, operates as a virtual state within the state.”

A little known terrorist group with strong ties to Moscow called the “Balochistan Liberation Front” has taken responsibility for the assassinations; however there is evidence that Moscow may in fact be responsible.

“There is no way that a small terrorist group could launch such a coordinated attack as this one,” commented an ISI agent who was at the scene of the Kallu bombing, “Over one-hundred bombs explode within twenty seconds of each other?! One of them was loaded into a television at an agent’s house! This was a coordinated attack from the KGB!”

The United States has condemned the attack and called for renewed sanctions on Moscow. China, which had indicated that it was lifting sanctions on Russia, has now indicated that it was reconsidering the decision. However, Moscow has vehemently denied any part in the bombings.

“We have also been victims of terrorism,” said Marshal of the UIS Alexander Lebed in a press conference, “and just as Prime Minister Qureshi contacted UIS President Lukyanov to offer his heart felt condolences after the terrorist attacks in our country three weeks ago, we too offer our sympathies to our Pakistani counterpart. We have not forgotten all that Pakistan has done on September 15th, and we pray that this will be the last time we have to call Prime Minister Qureshi to offer our…sympathies.”

Last edited:
Intereasting thing is how entire popular culture ITTL will look like. OTL in 90's movies common trope were Russian bad military guys/oligarchs trying seized power via coup ("Saint") or corrupted officers selling nuke to terrorist ("Peacemaker"). ITTL with a new Cold War it will be certainly different image of Russia in action movies. And maybe Hollywood fall in love in Chechen nad Azeri freedom fighters :rolleyes: Maybe we will see Rambo in Chechenya :eek:

Just think how for example "Golden Eye" may look like with Russia still consider as enemy (even more dangerous than USSR under Gorby). Certainly there will be still common fear of nuclear war and keep in mind that 2000 year and all paranoia linked with that date is coming. "Postman" like movies should perfectly fit into new fallout genre caused by second Cold War.

Maybe some uptade will touch that topic? ;)

Pelergrino, few questions

1. Will we see Siege of Sarajevo equivalent during Civil Wars in Estonia and Latvia?

2. You intend to make Z lose 1996 elections. If junta is real in cotrol in Russia why they (after colapse of sanctions) still conducting free elections? Is it not to risky for them?

You know, that is acrtually not a bad idea. An entire update on IMDB reviews on films in the 90s that still feature Russia as the bad guy! I really like that idea a lot!

As for Estonia and Latvia (and Romania) we see in this last update that sanctions are weakened, but not gone all together. This gives the UIS some breathing room, but just as in OTL, I think the period from 1993-1996 is where the UIS military takes its biggest hits.

As for your second question, it will all start to come together in the coming posts...

That update was quick, wasn't it? :D

Where else can assassinations take place and who against?

LOL, Well, the holidays are behind me so that has cleared up my schedule

as for assassinations, this is not the last we have seen of them in this TL, and before too long we are going to see the introduction (just as in OTL) of polonium-210! :eek:

Just curious, could we see a plot or attempt to assassinate a leader of a Western European country or America?

So basically we have the 16-man committee using Zhirinovsky as a pinata they can beat on. Kinda scary, though I wonder if the junta in Russia will wield a lot more power once they kick him aside.

Just curious, could we see a plot or attempt to assassinate a leader of a Western European country or America?

I doubt it. The UIS will push the envelope for sure, but assassinating a western leader in a NATO nation would probably be pushing the envelope too far. But look for this to be used across the former USSR, Pakistan, and even inside Russia itself as it deals with dissidents.

The West should thank Zhirinovski and his allies if the UIS is behind the attacks on the ISI. They may have just stopped 9/11.

The West should thank Zhirinovski and his allies if the UIS is behind the attacks on the ISI. They may have just stopped 9/11.

9/11 *does* occur ITTL, and *does* include an attack in Moscow.

Also, Kerrey and his administration seem shockingly maladroit even by US standards. What are the reasons for his ineptness?

9/11 *does* occur ITTL, and *does* include an attack in Moscow.

Also, Kerrey and his administration seem shockingly maladroit even by US standards. What are the reasons for his ineptness?

Kerrey starts to find his berrings, and pulls things together to win the 1996 election. The thing in regards to the UIS is that the USA is limited in how it can respond. Basically the UIS is a giant North Korea right now, for as much trouble as they create, nobody wants to risk pushing them to hard. Rather, the plan is to bleed them dry (via the Chechens) from the inside out. And in regard to Pakistan, this tit for tat is hardly over between the two countries as we will see I the net post...

So with Russia's conflict against Pakistan, India obviously would support the Russians. I guess by the time Zhirinovsky is overthrown, the UIS will be in a sorry shape. Just out of curiosity, what is the flag of the UIS like?

Few random questions:

1. Any use of gas ITTL (Sarin, Mustard etc)?

2. How is the video game industry in Russia affected?

3. How is Kaliningrad treated?

4. Censorship in the UIS?

5. Would shooting remain as the execution method or a switch to hanging (hang several people at once)?

So with Russia's conflict against Pakistan, India obviously would support the Russians. I guess by the time Zhirinovsky is overthrown, the UIS will be in a sorry shape. Just out of curiosity, what is the flag of the UIS like?

Same as the UDR flag, I elected to go with the Russian nationalist flag since I had a better selection of real world pics I could use with the Russian nationalist flag...

600px-Romanov_Flag_svg.png

Few random questions:

1. Any use of gas ITTL (Sarin, Mustard etc)?

2. How is the video game industry in Russia affected?

3. How is Kaliningrad treated?

4. Censorship in the UIS?

5. Would shooting remain as the execution method or a switch to hanging (hang several people at once)?

1. Doubtful, the UIS just knocked a hole I sanctions, not a big one, but big enough to keep afloat. Use of chemical weapons when the world is already on edge would almost certainly backfire.

2. Not sure yet, I must admit I had not thought about it. But as we get later in the decade I will be looking into that area.

3. It is still under Russian control, but it does start to become a little more "fre" than Russia itself.

4. It was pretty harsh after the '92 revolution, and eased up during the '93 election. It we will see the impact of these anti-terrorism laws in the end post. :eek:

5. Most likely it will remain shooting, but it may vary from place to place. right now the UIS and even Russia has limited control over large parts of the country. But they will slowly start to centralize federal control over the next several years...