Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire

I'm using my phone right now so please excuse any errors.

I just got say PS, this is one of the best timelines I've read on this board. The formatting, the writing, the research, all Are just impeccable. If you we're to publish this I would definately pick up a copy or two.

I'm using my phone right now so please excuse any errors.

I just got say PS, this is one of the best timelines I've read on this board. The formatting, the writing, the research, all Are just impeccable. If you we're to publish this I would definately pick up a copy or two.

Thanks! :D:D

Greatly appreciate that, and it is always is good to know that the countless hours I have put into writing this TL is appreciated by the readers as well! To be honest, I was thinking of putting this thing together and throwing it on Kindle as a $1 eBook when I got done, just to give anyone a easier to read copy of this TL if they were interested. Not sure yet, and not sure if I would be allowed to plug it on this TL if I did that (does anyone know what the rules would be in such a scenario? I am not looking to make a million bucks on it obviously, just wanted to put it in ebook format for those people who might prefer to read it on a Ipad or Kindle)

Thanks! :D:D

Greatly appreciate that, and it is always is good to know that the countless hours I have put into writing this TL is appreciated by the readers as well! To be honest, I was thinking of putting this thing together and throwing it on Kindle as a $1 eBook when I got done, just to give anyone a easier to read copy of this TL if they were interested. Not sure yet, and not sure if I would be allowed to plug it on this TL if I did that (does anyone know what the rules would be in such a scenario? I am not looking to make a million bucks on it obviously, just wanted to put it in ebook format for those people who might prefer to read it on a Ipad or Kindle)

If you do put it on Amazon Kindle, I wonder what would happen if half the people in this story read it? People such as Zhirinovsky?

If you do put it on Amazon Kindle, I wonder what would happen if half the people in this story read it? People such as Zhirinovsky?

LOL, good point. There are a few people in this TL who don't end up looking very good. That could create a problem if they read it and took offense

A FLOW CHART

If Zhirinovsky becomes the President of the UIS, then who becomes the President of the Russian Republic?

MarshalBraginsky raised some good questions about Lebed and the 1996 election. I realize that some of these names are starting to blend into each other, and there is some confusion over the leadership positions in TTL. So I am going to create a chart if you will, listing what we know so far about the leadership situation in the UIS-UDR-USSR-Russia. What we see is that, more often than not, there is a balance between liberal and hardliner, and either because the “junta” controls more of the country than some might think or because there is this never ending power struggle going on between different leaders, what we have is a very fluid base of power. While the UIS President may be a figurehead today, he may be much stronger later. Or perhaps the Prime Minister of Russia gains power as the President of Russia loses power. It becomes a bizarre game of chess in the UIS, with the Queen becoming a Pawn and a Knight becoming a King depending on how the game is going…

I am breaking the political groups as follows:

Hard Line Communist (HLC)
Reformist Communist (RC)

Moderate Reformer (MR)
Radical Reformer (RR)

Right Wing Moderate (RWM)
Radical Right Wing (RRW)

1991 PRE COUP (OTL)

USSR:

Mikhail Gorbachev (President) (RC)
Gennady Yanayev (VP) (HLC)
Valentin Pavlov (PM) (HLC)

Russia:

Boris Yeltsin (President) (MR)
Alex Rutskoy (VP) (RC-MR)
Ivan Silayev (PM) (RR)

1991-1992 THE UDR

UDR:

Viktor Alksnis (President) (HLC)
Vladimir Ivashko (VP) (RC)
Yuri Luzhkov (PM) (RR)

Russia:

Vladimir Zhirinovsky (President) (RRW)
Andrey Zavidiya (VP) (RWM)
Ivan Silayev (PM) (RR)

1992-1993 THE UIS:

UIS:
Anatoly Lukyanov (President) (RC)
**UNKNOWN** (VP)
Yuri Luzhkov (PM) (RR)

Russia:
**UNKNOWN** (PM)

1993-1996 POST ELECTION UIS:

UIS:

**UNKNOWN**
**UNKNOWN**
**UNKNOWN**

Russia:

Gennady Burbulis (PM) (RR)

1996-2000 POST ELECTION UIS:

UIS:

**UNKNOWN**
**UNKNOWN**

Russia:

**UNKNOWN**
**UNKNOWN**
**UNKNOWN**

What we also know is the following:

In 2003 Lebed is VP of the UIS

The 1996 election for President of Russia looks like it may be won by either the communist, Gennady Burbulis, or Vladimir Putin. However, Putin is referred to as a “perennial candidate” which strongly suggest he doesn’t win in 1996.

keep in mind, these political classifications are just a guide, and become somewhat meaningless as the country moves farther away from Communism. But it is just to sort of illustrate how there is a never ending power struggle going on between liberal and conservative factions in the UIS

Also, would Dmitry Medvedev still be a potent candidate in this case, or would he not actually enter politics at all?

Doubtful. I think I am already pushing the butterflies with Putin as prominent in this TL as he is. Most likely he won't play into this TL, but I have not ruled anything out yet depending on how things develop

On the other hand, what's contemporary culture like in the UIS? I kinda figure that the UIS culture would have been repressed.

Intereasting thing is how entire popular culture ITTL will look like. OTL in 90's movies common trope were Russian bad military guys/oligarchs trying seized power via coup ("Saint") or corrupted officers selling nuke to terrorist ("Peacemaker"). ITTL with a new Cold War it will be certainly different image of Russia in action movies. And maybe Hollywood fall in love in Chechen nad Azeri freedom fighters :rolleyes: Maybe we will see Rambo in Chechenya :eek:

Just think how for example "Golden Eye" may look like with Russia still consider as enemy (even more dangerous than USSR under Gorby). Certainly there will be still common fear of nuclear war and keep in mind that 2000 year and all paranoia linked with that date is coming. "Postman" like movies should perfectly fit into new fallout genre caused by second Cold War.

Maybe some uptade will touch that topic? ;)

Pelergrino, few questions

1. Will we see Siege of Sarajevo equivalent during Civil Wars in Estonia and Latvia?

2. You intend to make Z lose 1996 elections. If junta is real in cotrol in Russia why they (after colapse of sanctions) still conducting free elections? Is it not to risky for them?

Last edited: