Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire

I expect active natalistic politics from Zhirinovsky. They worked to some degree in Putin's Russia, and Zhirinovsky would be even more eager to implement them.

That marks the first time I've heard anyone refer to Putin's natalism as working. Not that I know for certain it hasn't; I just look at their birthrates....

Do you have a source?

Zhirinovsky's Russia benefits from controlling the oil and gas industry of Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and the other former Soviet republics in Central Asia and continued economic union between most former Soviet republics.

Oil, yes. But this Russia has overwhelming problems on the international stage that will translate into economic terms. It's not like Russian manufactured goods are of much quality to begin with, and now people view it as purchasing volkswagens from the Nazis.

That marks the first time I've heard anyone refer to Putin's natalism as working. Not that I know for certain it hasn't; I just look at their birthrates....

Do you have a source?

Russian TFR was 1.16 in 1999 while in the last year 1.61. Crude birth rates per 1000 have risen from 8.3 to 12.6 while death rates have dropped from 14.6 in 1999 to 13.5 in 2011. (Here the peak was in 2000 when the death rate was 15.2.) The natural population change was -129,091 in 2011 while in 1999 it was -929,627. The largest population loss was in 2000 when Russia lost 958,532 people. Overall the Russia population rose by about 190,000 in 2011 due to immigration. (All of these stats can be found in wiki but originally they are by Rosstat.) This year might be possibly the first year since the collapse of the Soviet Union that Russia will see positive natural growth if same trends continue than in the first half of year.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic and I may be getting ahead of the timeline, but I'm curious as to how the Russian Federal Space Agency and Mir will fare in TTL. While it'd definitely be an ongoing point of prestige for the UDR/UIS, (especially if Space Station Freedom keeps getting slashed and delayed) there's no way in hell the U.S. is footing the bill for launching the Spektr and Priroda modules and finishing the station in the mid-90s now. Add in the huge costs of the coming interventions in the Balkans (for starters) and the uncertainty of reliable launches from Baikonur in Kazahkstan for the indefinite future, and all I can see is an incomplete UIS space station that wastes away and crashes even faster than OTL.

Another good update. However, I should make one minor correction - TASS was (along with its affiliates) the Soviet (in TTL now UDR/UIS) wire service-cum-press agency. Under Gorbachëv, the entire Soviet broadcasting apparatus was renamed the VGTRK (which, as I mentioned, is different from the OTL Russian VGTRK, in that the Soviet VGTRK was an All-Union State Television and Radio Broadcasting Company - a de facto public broadcaster - whilst the current VGTRK is the All-Russian State Television and Radio Broadcasting Company). So, it looks like a showdown (as I noted) between the federal anti-Zhirinovsky VGTRK+TASS and the pro-Zhirinovsky RTR. Excellent news. :)does Monty Burns look:)

Slightly off topic and I may be getting ahead of the timeline, but I'm curious as to how the Russian Federal Space Agency and Mir will fare in TTL. While it'd definitely be an ongoing point of prestige for the UDR/UIS, (especially if Space Station Freedom keeps getting slashed and delayed) there's no way in hell the U.S. is footing the bill for launching the Spektr and Priroda modules and finishing the station in the mid-90s now. Add in the huge costs of the coming interventions in the Balkans (for starters) and the uncertainty of reliable launches from Baikonur in Kazahkstan for the indefinite future, and all I can see is an incomplete UIS space station that wastes away and crashes even faster than OTL.
That is quite interesting, it would be cool to see a section where the Russian space agency crashes and burns. Perhaps some Russian space engineers and Cosmonauts will defect to the US because they disagree with Zhirinovsky's policies. So NASA could get a bit of a boost while The Federal Space Agency implodes.

Do you have a source?

Russian TFR was 1.16 in 1999 while in the last year 1.61. Crude birth rates per 1000 have risen from 8.3 to 12.6 while death rates have dropped from 14.6 in 1999 to 13.5 in 2011. (Here the peak was in 2000 when the death rate was 15.2.) The natural population change was -129,091 in 2011 while in 1999 it was -929,627. The largest population loss was in 2000 when Russia lost 958,532 people. Overall the Russia population rose by about 190,000 in 2011 due to immigration. (All of these stats can be found in wiki but originally they are by Rosstat.) This year might be possibly the first year since the collapse of the Soviet Union that Russia will see positive natural growth if same trends continue than in the first half of year.

And this graph should make the link between Putin's natalism and rising birth rates in Russia obvious.

russian-cross-mark-adomanis.png

The natalist politcs stated in 2006, and as you can see there is a considerable increase since 2006 after a period of stagnation (2003-2006).

Oil, yes. But this Russia has overwhelming problems on the international stage that will translate into economic terms. It's not like Russian manufactured goods are of much quality to begin with, and now people view it as purchasing volkswagens from the Nazis.

Exactly, the Russian industry is not very export-oriented to begin with and with the survival of the Union ITTL it wll have less need for export to survive.
Not that the UIS won't face severe economic problems. They are probably among the main reasons for Zhirinovsky's fall, but they should be manageable, especially after the end of Zhirinovsky's presidency.

and all I can see is an incomplete UIS space station that wastes away and crashes even faster than OTL.

I hope they abandon the Mir in favour of the unmanned space programm, specifically the development and production of (military) satellites.
The Mir does not fit the theme of Zhirinovsky's Russia and manned space is rather needless.

That is quite interesting, it would be cool to see a section where the Russian space agency crashes and burns.

It is not even certain or likely that a Russian space agency will exist ITTL.

Perhaps, while the Russian government may not subsidize space, the private sector may be more than willing...and more than willing to open up to western dollars (or potentially non-Western dollars...).

Another good update. However, I should make one minor correction - TASS was (along with its affiliates) the Soviet (in TTL now UDR/UIS) wire service-cum-press agency. Under Gorbachëv, the entire Soviet broadcasting apparatus was renamed the VGTRK (which, as I mentioned, is different from the OTL Russian VGTRK, in that the Soviet VGTRK was an All-Union State Television and Radio Broadcasting Company - a de facto public broadcaster - whilst the current VGTRK is the All-Russian State Television and Radio Broadcasting Company). So, it looks like a showdown (as I noted) between the federal anti-Zhirinovsky VGTRK+TASS and the pro-Zhirinovsky RTR. Excellent news. :)does Monty Burns look:)

Good eye! Thanks!:)

Hmmm, I must admit, I have not yet decided where to take the space program. I tend to think Russia will have its hands full with everything going on, but I may still revisit the Space program and put something in on that end.

And this graph should make the link between Putin's natalism and rising birth rates in Russia obvious.

russian-cross-mark-adomanis.png

The natalist politcs stated in 2006, and as you can see there is a considerable increase since 2006 after a period of stagnation (2003-2006).

Exactly, the Russian industry is not very export-oriented to begin with and with the survival of the Union ITTL it wll have less need for export to survive.
Not that the UIS won't face severe economic problems. They are probably among the main reasons for Zhirinovsky's fall, but they should be manageable, especially after the end of Zhirinovsky's presidency.

Thanks for these stats, very interesting!

I have been also kicking around Dan1988's mention about Zhirinovsky reintroducing poligamy in the UIS. I don't think he has enough power to pass something like that right now ITTL (I would think Silayev would be appalled at that), but some thing a bit less extreme might be in the works in 1992. Perhaps outlawing abortions or something like that. While doing research on Romania for the next post I read about how Nicolae Ceausescu outlawed abortions in Romania, leading to a massive problem with unwanted children left at orphanages.

As for the population decline, I think in the 1990s it is going to happen, but you stats do give me a strong argument that the population decline will be somewhat short. The question is what is the impact of mass defections and/or those killed in wars.

^ I figured that would be what he would do anyway. Still, introducing polygamy would be interesting later on, if only to shocked looks from elsewhere in Eurasia.

Thanks for these stats, very interesting!

I have been also kicking around Dan1988's mention about Zhirinovsky reintroducing poligamy in the UIS. I don't think he has enough power to pass something like that right now ITTL (I would think Silayev would be appalled at that), but some thing a bit less extreme might be in the works in 1992. Perhaps outlawing abortions or something like that. While doing research on Romania for the next post I read about how Nicolae Ceausescu outlawed abortions in Romania, leading to a massive problem with unwanted children left at orphanages.

As for the population decline, I think in the 1990s it is going to happen, but you stats do give me a strong argument that the population decline will be somewhat short. The question is what is the impact of mass defections and/or those killed in wars.

Hmm...
On the one hand, earlier natalist policies would be a blessing for Russia and its demographics as long as they encourage rather than force to have children, and should minimize present-day Russia's next demographic challenge, dealing with the post-Soviet echo effect.
On ther other hand, outlawing abortions is a very bad thing for Russia and will ensure high levels of crime as well as lasting high death rates.
Ironically, the supporters of the UIS will probably benefit from the former because it justifies a large and powerful (federal) police force.

“Zhirinovsky was selected as leader of the Liberal Democratic Party by the KGB for one reason and one reason only,” former head of the KGB and perennial presidential candidate Vladimir Putin stated in an Interview with the BBC last year, “because he was easy to manipulate.”

Putin was never the head of the KGB IOTL.
Which party is supporting his canditature?

^ I figured that would be what he would do anyway. Still, introducing polygamy would be interesting later on, if only to shocked looks from elsewhere in Eurasia.
If they legalized polygamy, the Russian Orthodox would be SEVERELY upset, to say the least. (While the New Testament does not condemn polygamy, per se, it does look down negatively on it- and so does the Old.)

If they legalized polygamy, the Russian Orthodox would be SEVERELY upset, to say the least. (While the New Testament does not condemn polygamy, per se, it does look down negatively on it- and so does the Old.)

For the most part, yes. However, remember, this is Zhirinovsky we're talking about. As I mentioned already, in 2006 in OTL, he proposed it be applied to all of Russia - after the pro-Kremlin Chechen PM suggested it work there because of the war there. So there's some precedent for him suggesting it in TTL.

I believe that it said Zhirinovsky was the first Russian leader in X years to attend a service? It sounds like the sly dog is trying to put the church in his pocket by showing it patronage, but probably wants to control it in return. I can see Zhirinovsky basically threatening to marginalize them if they speak out against him.

PART TWENTY FOUR: THE ZHIRINOVSKY ULTIMATUM
PART TWENTY FOUR: THE ZHIRINOVSKY ULTIMATUM

PART TWENTY FOUR THE ZHIRINOVSKY ULTIMATUM

Well, we now see the liberals try to kick start the shock therapy reforms we saw in OTL. Right about the same time Zhirinovsky is nearly impeached and relegated to a bit player. But the west is still fuming over Prussiagate, and a familiar name in OTL emerges here for the first time: Halliburton. And we now (finally) start to get an idea about what is going on in Croatia and Yugoslavia while Germany pushes for NATO expansion in Poland...

Russian Parliament enacts major economic reforms; President survives impeachment

May 29, 1992
By Vincent J. Shanks,
Chicago Tribune.

MOSCOW — in a stunning development, the Russian Parliament voted today to embrace the radical reforms of Deputy Yegor Gaidar, who was named Russia’s new Deputy of Finance last week. The move proved controversial with many of the more conservative members of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party of Russia, with many of them threatening to walk out of the session. The move also earned scorn from Russian President Vladimir Zhirinovsky, who called it “a blueprint for the disintegration of the UDR.”

The move is seen as more evidence that Russia and the UDR are moving to ease international fears that have developed over the Prussiagate memo, and to show the international community that it is eager to make serious reforms to its economy. However, the steps have proved controversial in at least two of the other republics of the UDR, with Ukraine and Belarus condemning what they see as a dangerous and reckless modification of the status quo.

“We are not opposed to reform,” commented Ukrainian government spokesperson Anton Muratov, “but we were assured that these reforms would be undertaken in gradual fashion. These proposals embraced by the Russian parliament amount to ‘shock therapy’ and will badly weaken the federal economy. The Ukraine does not want to carry the burden of Russia’s reckless decision when it comes to the economic implications of this decision.”

Many observers cite the growing opposition to Prime Minister Silayev’s reforms as the primary reason Russian President Vladimir Zhirinovsky survived a vote to kick-start impeachment hearings shortly after the reforms were implemented. Reformists had made no secret of their desire to oust the Russian president, but growing tension with the conservative bloc ensured that the vote would fail to capture the necessary majority in the election. Prior to the impeachment vote dozens of representative’s walked out of the Duma in protest of the previous vote.

Serbian Power struggle in breakaway Croatian Republic of Krajina intensifies

By Jeff Coleman
Detroit Free Press
May 29, 1992

Goran-Hadzic.jpg

Ousted Republic of Krajina President Goran Hadžić being led away by troops loyal to the former President Milan Babić after Babić seized power in a coup

KNIN, CROATIA- In a stunning turn of events, President Goran Hadžić of the breakaway Serbian Republic of the Krajina, was deposed today by the man he overthrew just three months ago. In a lightning raid, troops loyal to former President Milan Babić stormed the Parliament building of the breakaway Republic inside of Croatia and arrested President Hadžić, claiming his failed economic policies have weakened the republic. The move stunned international observers, many of which felt that Babić was so badly weakened after his ousting in February as to render any potential political comeback impossible. The move also created shockwaves in Belgrade, with Serbian President Slobodan Milosevic condemning the move.

“Mr. Babić has weakened the government of the Republic of the Serbian Krajina and as a result has strengthened the position of the Croat military,” Milosevic said in a press release, “we call on Mr. Babić to restore President Hadžić lest he create a scenario in which the Republic of Krajina becomes isolated from Yugoslavia.”

Mr. Hadžić was seen as a close ally to Milosevic, and many international observers felt that Mr. Babić had been ousted in February under orders of Mr. Milosevic in an attempt to replace him with a leader who was deemed more in line with Belgrade. Many Serbs noted the icy relationship between Mr. Milosevic and Mr. Babić as the primary reason he was driven from office. However, early indications are that Mr. Babić has developed a valuable ally in Russian President Vladimir Zhirinovsky. Just ten days ago Babić had renamed the Serb Democratic Party, which he headed, to the Serb Liberal Democratic Party. Many saw it as an attempt to strengthen ties with the primary political party in Russia, which was headed by Mr. Zhirinovsky. Early reports also indicate that Mr. Babić may have had the assistance of at least 100 Russian volunteers during the coup.

MilanBabic.jpg

Milan Babić, shortly after seizing power in the Serbian Breakaway regions of Croatia (AP)

Russian’s protest economy, Estonia as ruble plummets in value

By Tim Welch
June 15, 1992

U.S. News and World Report

stpetes3b.jpg

Protesters in St. Petersburg clash with Russian police

(ST. PETERSBURG) For the third straight day, Russians citizens poured into Palace Square, in central St. Petersburg, protesting the rapidly collapsing Russian economy and the rapid disintegration of the UDR as both Belarus and Ukraine have threatened to secede from the Union. They also protested what they see as the failure of the federal government to protect ethnic Russians in Estonia and Latvia, where violent protests have spiraled out of control into a full-fledged civil war.

“They are forcing these changes on us, and yet they refuse to stop the anarchy spreading all over the country.” commented one protester who wished to remain nameless, “Thousands of our countrymen have been killed in Tallinn and all of our life’s savings have been wiped out! And we are supposed to do nothing about this?!”

The economic reforms in Russia have come at what is perceived as the worst possible time for the reformist minded Prime Minister, Ivan Silayev. With Estonia and Latvia descending into civil war, coupled with western threats of sanctions and NATO expansion into Poland, both Silayev and his federal counterpart, Yuri Luzhkov, have come under increased attack.

“I don’t understand why they changed the Zhirinovsky plan,” said one protester angrily, “a moderate and gradual application of reforms and a firm hand dealing with these other Republics. But now they’ve tried to oust him and the end result is this…anarchy and economic ruin!”

Many critics of the protesters have expressed doubts over Russian President Zhirinovsky’s claim that he did not instigate the protests. They have noted that many of the protesters have demanded Mr. Zhirinovsky be exonerated and that his ‘veto’ right be reinstated. However, others have ridiculed the accusation.

“I for one could not care less about President Zhirinovsky,” said one protester, “but they claim he wrote that ridiculous Prussiagate letter as an excuse for ousting him, and suddenly they are trying to implement all these changes that he was against? Clearly it was a coup. If it wasn’t, why haven’t the Germans lifted their demands for sanctions?”

CNN interview with Jack Matlock, former ambassador to the USSR

August 18, 2000

CNN: Did the Americans and Germans drop the ball after the Prussiagate scandal?

Matlock: I don’t know. In hindsight perhaps we did. For the Germans the key was to impeach Zhirinovsky, which the Russians didn’t do. Once that vote failed, German Chancellor Kohl’s angry ultimatum made it impossible for the Russians to remove Zhirinovsky without losing face.

CNN: The infamous Zhirinovsky ultimatum-

Matlock: Correct. After Zhirinovsky survived the first impeachment vote, we felt confident that he would subsequently be impeached in the following session of the Russian Duma. He really survived because most of the conservatives walked out of the session over the reforms that had been passed, not because he was particularly popular. But after Kohl issued his ultimatum, that Germany would not lift sanctions until the Russians impeached Vladimir Zhirinovsky, well, there was no chance of impeachment happening after that. It would look like the Russians were bowing down to the Germans, and there was no way the Russians were going to let themselves be pushed around by Helmut Kohl.

CNN: What about the American response.

Matlock: Bush felt personally betrayed by Zhirinovsky, so he backed Kohl’s ultimatum. Unfortunately, that backfired. For one thing, American sanctions were very limited, and with Halliburton just signing a large contract over the construction of the novo gorods, they were able to put enough pressure on Congress to exclude them from the sanctions. So what ended up happening is that the only organizations covered in the sanctions were those directly associated with the now reformist government, while the Zhirinovsky bloc still was getting American money funneled into their Greater Russia plans.

CNN: Why were companies like Halliburton so eager to build the novo gorods in Kazakhstan?

Matlock: One word: oil.

“My Russia- An Autobiography by former Russian Prime Minister Gennady Burbulis”

Published by Interbook, © 1998

CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE

We were all very worried. The war in Estonia and Latvia had made a turn for the worse and our attempted overtures of peace were falling on deaf ears. The Estonians were routing the Russian militias and killing every Russian they could lay their hands on, and they were not interested in stopping. Not after the incident at the Estonian Parliament. But we couldn’t believe the response from the West! We had implemented true reforms, viable moves towards a free market, and yet they belittled us like a bunch of dogs! They would not lift sanctions, which turned the reforms into a disaster. Overnight the ruble had lost 33% of its value, and hyperinflation was ramped. Of course the Russian Central Bank was in the pocket of Viktor Alksnis, and they responded like a bunch of buffoons. We knew that inflation would hit, but their response as soon as the ruble lost its value and sanctions were announced was to print out more money! They made the problem worse and then blamed us! But without the support we were expecting from the West, we knew that the reforms were doomed. When Germany announced the very same day we implemented the reforms that they were pushing for immediate NATO membership for Poland, it robbed us of all of the momentum we had going into the reform. Suddenly people on the streets were wondering why their savings had been wiped out and why the Russian ruble was now worthless and why Germany and the Americans were suddenly kicking us while we were down. And when the Germans issued that Zhirinovsky ultimatum, it was beyond insulting. Zhirinovsky was on the streets immediately afterwards, comparing it to Austrian demands made of Serbia right before the First World War, telling everyone that NATO was planning an invasion of the UDR!

Of course Vladimir Zhirinovsky was feeding off all the discontent. Telling everyone that the Prussiagate memo was a forgery, used to remove him from power because he was the only one willing to stand up to the Germans and Americans. He was telling everyone that, although he wasn’t against the reforms, he was against them being implemented so rapidly. He pointed to how the novo gorods under his reform plan were thriving, while ours had destroyed the Russian economy overnight. Sadly, we realized that, once again, Vladimir Zhirinovsky had dodged another bullet only to emerge stronger than before. Like a disease that is fought with too few antibiotics, he survived to emerge stronger, and deadlier, than before.

Last edited:
The Liberals in Russia and the West missed a golden opportunity to get rid of President Zhirinovsky,
and now he is able to rebuild his reputation and power base in Russia at their expense.
The new turn in the power struggle in Serbian-controlled Krajina shows that Zhirinovsky is truly the Hitler to Milosevic's Mussolini.

By the way, are Saddam Hussein and Gaddafi Zhirinovsky's potential allies/partner?

The Liberals in Russia and the West missed a golden opportunity to get rid of President Zhirinovsky,
and now he is able to rebuild his reputation and power base in Russia at their expense.
The new turn in the power struggle in Serbian-controlled Krajina shows that Zhirinovsky is truly the Hitler to Milosevic's Mussolini.

By the way, are Saddam Hussein and Gaddafi Zhirinovsky's potential allies/partner?

This sums it up very well. In OTL the economy collapsed when Yeltsin instituted shock therapy, and with so many people against Zhirinovsky I didn't think he could survive that kind of fallback like Yeltsin did. But here Zhirinovsky is seen as being opposed to the reforms. As a result Russians start wondering "would It have been better if we just stuck with the original plan?". This allows Zhirinovsky to consolidate his power and survive the economic collapse that I think was almost unavoidable in 1992 once any sort of reform was enacted

What would the fate of such Russian neo-fascist groups in a Russia ruled by Zhirinovsky? Surely those Russian neo-fascist movements would be a bit appalled by Zhirinovsky though, since he had a dubious ancestry or something.

'“I for one could care less about President Zhirinovsky,” said one protester, “but they claim he wrote that ridiculous Prussiagate letter as an excuse for ousting him, and suddenly they are trying to implement all these changes that he was against? Clearly it was a coup. If it wasn’t, why haven’t the Germans lifted their demands for sanctions?”'

Somehow for me this perfectly captures part the Russian spirit. Namely that special blend of imagined conspiracy and extra-national incomprehension.

Well done.