Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire

PART TWENTY ONE: THE HONEYMOON IS OVER
PART TWENTY ONE: THE HONEYMOON IS OVER

Transcript from The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, October 29, 2009

Guest: James Duncan

Stewart (to audience): I am here with James Duncan, author of “The Son Also Rises: The Rise and Fall of the Second Bush Presidency”-

(Turning to Mr. Duncan)

Stewart: And Mr. Duncan, I appreciate you coming on the show.

James Duncan: Thank you Jon.

Stewart: I have to say, fascinating book. What seems to be so interesting is that George W. Bush seemed almost obsessed with the mistakes made by his father in his presidency.

Duncan: Yes, it really was a driving force of his presidency; in fact I almost named the book “Mistakes of my Father.” But it is strange because there were really two major lessons to learn from the presidency of 41: the first lesson 43 understood very well, and the second one he completely miscalculated on.

Stewart: What was the first lesson?

Duncan: It was ‘do not, under any circumstances, raise taxes.’ Bush was determined not to make that mistake that his father made, and it served him well. But the second lesson he got wrong. He thought the lesson was ‘somehow get Russia under control, make them a deal that they can’t turn down and get them to stop creating havoc all over the world.’ But that really wasn’t the second lesson of the first Bush presidency at all, and the great tragedy is how wrong 43 got it.

Stewart: What was the second lesson then?

Duncan: Basically, it was ‘don’t let the Russians ass-rape you.’

(Audience laughter)

Transcript from CNN’s Crossfire, February 19, 1992
Courtesy of CNN

cnncrossfire.jpg

Michael Kinsley: Clearly we can see after last nights New Hampshire primary that President Bush is more vulnerable that we previously assumed.

John Sununu: I am amazed that Democrats can honestly take last nights results as a sign of weakness. He won nearly 70% of the Republican votes. If I were Paul Tsongas or Bob Kerrey I would be very, very worried right now. George Bush looked unbeatable. Our friend Pat Buchanan spent millions of dollars and focused his entire campaign in New Hampshire and won less than 10% of the vote.

Michael Kinsley: But before he received an endorsement from Russian President Vladimir Zhirinovsky two weeks ago, Buchanan was polling as high as 40%-

John Sununu: And the Republicans in New Hampshire still came out and supported the President. This is a strong showing that will cement President Bush’s position as he heads into Georgia.

Michael Kinsley: I hope the Republicans, and Bush, believe that! Because nearly a quarter of Republicans in New Hampshire voted for Harold Stassen, which tells me that they are not happy with Bush on his policies regarding the UIS. Harold Stassen went from being one of the biggest jokes in politics to a contender overnight. He is now the man who showed America that Bush has alienated his base. They are mad because he broke his pledge of no new taxes, and they are mad because he is letting Russia play us like a fool.

John Sununu: I resent that. Harold Stassen is not a joke. He was a proud American who served his country in World War II. And the voters of New Hampshire were voting for him out of appreciation for a lifetime of service. He was the man who put New Hampshire on the map, politically, back in 1948. His ‘48 campaign turned the New Hampshire presidential primary into what it is today, and many Republicans simply were voting for him out of appreciation. Sometimes the veteran actor wins the Oscar because voters appreciate all he has done over his career.

Michael Kinsley: So you don’t think that George Bush should take this as a sign that he needs to toughen up on Russia, or perhaps cancel his upcoming meeting with Russian President Vladimir Zhirinovsky at Camp David next month? As far as I can tell, Harold Stassen’s only platform is ‘don’t trust the Russians’.

John Sununu: Of course not. The voters appreciate that President Bush has ushered this country into a new era of cooperation with our former enemy. I don’t think Mr. Stassen’s scare tactics will change the fact that Americans are happier that we live in a world where Russia is our ally and not our enemy. Mark my word; we have heard the last of Harold Stassen in politics.

Finland closes embassy in Moscow after fighting breaks out in Estonia

BBC

By William Sawyer
April 4, 1992

HELSINKI -- Finland said Wednesday that it had closed its embassy in Moscow and was giving UIS diplomats 48-hours to leave Helsinki.

The announcement came the day after thousands of armed Russian protesters stormed the Estonian Parliament, or Riigikogu, and executed dozens of lawmakers before Estonian policemen and soldiers were able to recapture the building. The Finnish embassy, citing evidence of similar acts of violence from Russian militias across the country, called the storming of the Riigikogu an “act of war” perpetrated by the UIS against the Estonian government.

Other Scandinavian nations have joined Finland in cutting diplomatic ties to the UIS for its support of the anti-government militias emerging across Estonia and Latvia, and numerous European nations have condemned the UIS for the attack.

British Foreign Secretary Gerald Kaufman said the attack could not have taken place without "some degree of consent and support from the Russian and UIS government."

Fighting erupts across Latvia and Estonia as Red Cross declares conflict a ‘civil war’

Economist
April 5, 1992

(TALLINN, ESTONIA)- Riots and ethnic clashes between Russian and Estonian protesters across the country have quickly descended into a full fledged civil war, declared the Red Cross in a statement addressed to the United Nations. The Red Cross cited numerous instances of street to street fighting in Tallinn, with heavily armed Russian militias clashing with Estonian police and military units. Across the eastern portions of the country, where federal control by the Estonian government was tenuous even before the riots began, the Red Cross has declared that there is clear and convincing evidence that Russian fighters have already begun a policy of ethnic cleansing, targeting Estonian villages around the predominantly Russian city of Narva.

“It is clear that this militia is well funded, well armed, and extremely well organized,” the Red Cross said in its statement, “regardless of who is funding and supporting these fighters, we cannot deny that the tragic effect of this organized military operation is to have successfully dragged this country into a civil war that it can ill-afford to endure.”

Riots broke out only three days ago across Estonia and Latvia after the televised murder of a Russian shopkeeper in neighboring Lithuania. However, the Red Cross has cited the clear organized nature of the escalation in violence as proof that the conflict is not a spontaneous protest, but rather a systematic policy of “terror and intimidation.” The Red Cross cited evidence that the militias in Estonia also appear to have coincided their attacks with those Russian militias in the neighboring Republic of Latvia, where fighters have clashed with Latvian forces throughout the capital city of Riga.

However, the UIS government dismissed claims of civil war, claiming that the conflict reflected the legitimate protest of “a clearly persecuted Russian population that seeks only to demand their rights.”

However, UIS statements minimizing the conflict fell on deaf ears across the international community, as Russian President Vladimir Zhirinovsky was recorded as saying that the Estonian and Latvian people now faced “extermination” during an emergency session of the Russian Parliament. The statement caused an uproar not only in the international community, but in Russia itself. Zhirinovsky has been criticized for what is seen as strong armed tactics used by the Russian government in enforcing martial law declared by the federal government just three weeks ago. The Russians have rounded up over ten thousand people in Moscow alone in the past two weeks, citing violations of the newly enacted gun protection laws, in which Russians who indicate a desire to relocate to volatile regions inside the UIS are entitled to a government issued firearm. The law is widely seen as an insidious attempt to arm pro-Russian militias in Central Asia and the Baltics.

SHOCKER! STASSEN STUNS BUSH IN UPSET!
Former Governor scores primary victory as anger over economy and Russia intensifies

By Paul Thorpe

April 8, 1992
Minneapolis Star Tribune

stassen.jpg

Former Governor Stassen greets supporters in St. Paul this morning after scoring the stunning win over the President

(ST. PAUL)- In what has already been called the biggest political upset in the 20th century, perennial Presidential candidate and former Minnesota Governor Harold Stassen scored a stunning upset over President George Bush yesterday in the Minnesota primary. With 99% of the precincts reporting, Stassen led with 45.3% of the vote over Bush’s 44.1%. Conservative commentator Pat Buchanan, who, like Bush, has seen his campaign tarnished due to what many Republicans saw as his pro-Russians leanings, finished a distant third with 5.9%, barely beating out write in candidate Ross Perot (whose write in campaign captured 3.6% of the total votes despite the fact that he has already declared his candidacy as an independent).

Representatives from President Bush’s election campaign downplayed the defeat, citing low voter turnout (the Minnesota Secretary of State indicated turnout was the lowest in State history, at just over 13%) and what they called “the swan song factor.” Ari Fleischer, the Bush campaign’s deputy communications director, dismissed the loss, pointing to the President’s insurmountable lead in the delegate count, rendering the Stassen win in Minnesota “insignificant.”

“Minnesotans already knew that Bush was their nominee,” Fleischer told reporters at a press conference, “but they came out and voted for Stassen to tell their former Governor thanks for all his service over the years. Clearly, with over twenty primary victories since New Hampshire, including wins in Texas and Florida, we are comfortable in knowing that President Bush will have a smooth path to the Republican convention.”

However, many Republicans have expressed concern over the sudden collapse of the Bush candidacy and see the mind-boggling emergence of Harold Stassen as a dangerous sign of impending doom. The 85-year old Stassen was widely seen as a novelty candidate, and due to his advanced age, did almost no campaigning outside of a small number of TV ads. Many independent political observers saw the Stassen surge as a serious sign that voters have become discontent with the President.

“President Bush is in very, very serious trouble,” commented University of Minnesota political science professor John Williams on the Today Show this morning, “Considering President Bush has already wrapped up the nomination the only reason people would vote for Harold Stassen in this election, is because they wanted to make a point to vote against the President. He spent less than $100,000 in Minnesota. He did almost no campaigning. This should have been a shellacking. What will happen when George Bush has to run against a viable candidate after the primary?”

Although President Bush has seen his support with Republicans erode over the last six months due to the poor state of the economy, the Stassen victory may reflect a growing frustration over President Bush’s foreign policy measures in regards to the former Soviet Union. Whereas Bush’s strongpoint had always been foreign policy, many Republicans have expressed deep anger over “The Baker Plan”, in which the President authorized billions of dollars in aid to the UIS. When fighting broke out in the former Soviet Republics of Latvia and Estonia last week, many Republicans expressed outrage over what they described as the President’s mismanagement of the fall of the Soviet Union.

“I probably would have stayed home and jut not voted,” commented Rob Kelper, a mechanic from St. Paul, “but when I saw the Soviets shooting those folks on the news, and that same Russian President who Bush was chumming up with three weeks ago telling people he was going to ‘exterminate’ those poor folks, well, I couldn’t stay home. I am a lifetime Republican, never considered voting Democrat. But let me tell you, Reagan sure as spit wouldn’t have stood for what is going on in Russia

Bush41.jpg

President Bush responds to questions from the press a day after his stunning upset loss to former Minnesota Governor Harold Stassen in the Minnesota primary (AP)

CNN interview with James Baker, former Secretary of State under President George H.W. Bush

July 13, 1997

CNN: When did President Bush realize that he needed a different approach to dealing with Zhirinovsky and the UIS?

Baker: Right after things started to spiral out of control in Estonia and Latvia. We gave him every chance, and each time he burned us. But when he called for the “extermination” of the Estonian and Latvian people just weeks after he was smiling and joking with us on CNN at Camp David, well, that was a devastating moment for the President, both politically and personally. After that he called me into the oval office and told me that the honeymoon was over, we needed to play hardball with the Russians.

CNN: In your opinion, is that what caused the upset in Minnesota?

Baker: Although we didn’t admit it at the time, we knew we had problems over the economy. Buchanan was poling pretty high in the New Hampshire primary. And when his numbers plummeted after he received President Zhirinovsky endorsement we also knew that the recent Camp David meeting was not going to play like we had hoped. But our strong point was always foreign policy, and we kept playing to our strengths. After Buchanan fizzled out we figured it was smooth sailing until the general election. We won every primary after that and the election seemed in the bag. By the time the general election rolled around we figured we would have repaired our mistakes in regards to dealing with Russia and we hoped the economy would have bounced back. But Estonia and Latvia exploded right before the Minnesota primary, and that changed everything. After that, everything we did in regards to Russia looked like a feeble response to a bad election. After Minnesota it became clear that we lost our ace in the hole: we lost foreign policy.

CNN: How surprised were you at the result?

Baker: As surprised as everyone else in the country. We already had the delegates we needed. But with Camp David fresh in every Minnesotans mind, well, Zhirinovsky ended up killing us. They were voting against Camp David, not George Bush. But the end result was that it turned George Bush into a very weak candidate overnight, and nothing we did after that could stop the hemorrhaging. We never lost another primary after that, but the damage was already done. There is no recovering from losing an election to Harold Stassen in 1992: nobody was going to take us seriously after that.

Last edited:
In any case, another great update. Guess this 1992 election for Americans is going to be a nail-biter.

It will be very similar to OTL. The main difference is that Buchanan is not seen as the viable alternative he was in OTL to Bush in Republican primaries, and foreign policy was seen as much more important in The democratic primaries than OTL. As a result, Stassen becomes the protest vote for Republicans and Clinton gets derailed by Vietnam vet Bob Kerrey, who wins the nomination on the Democrtic side. I am guessing the numbers would be very similar to OTL, with Kerrey winning less than 45% and Ross Perot winning close to 20%. But whereas Bush never recovers from New Hampshire in OTL, in this TL it is Minnesota that haunts him throughout the election. He wins every single primary, except Minnesota, but it is enough to show a chink in his armor.

Does Zhirinovsky's hostility towards China cause any on-the-ground threats, and does it force China and the west to build a stronger strategic relationship?

To be honest, there won't be much in regards to China in the short term. I don't see any major incidents erupting between the two nations in92 or 93 as zhirinovsky will have his hands full with Europe and central Asia...

Makes a lot of sense for the election. Will be interesting, for sure.

BTW - I know I mentioned this already, but will Zhirinovsky - at some point - go for what in OTL he attempted to do in 2006 and basically legalize polygamy in Russia? If so, how much of a shock wave do you think this would cause?

Pellegrino Shots said:
...thousands of armed Russian protesters stormed the Estonian Parliament, or Riigikogu, and executed dozens of lawmakers before Estonian policemen and soldiers were able to recapture the building. The Finnish embassy, citing evidence of similar acts of violence from Russian militias across the country, called the storming of the Riigikogu an “act of war” perpetrated by the UIS against the Estonian government.

Uh oh. I wouldn't want to be Koivisto or Aho (assuming he is the Prime Minister ITTL) when that happens.

Finland's situation is very difficult. The Russians have not recognized Estonia, and depending on how Finno-Russian negotiations have progressed ITTL, the FCMA Treaty might still be in effect on paper - for Russia, that is. For Finland, IOTL, Koivisto had declared the treaty void in the fall of 1991 as he did the Paris Peace Treaty. But we can say that for Russia it was ended in January 1992 IOTL when Aho and Burbulis signed a new basic treaty governing the relations between Finland and the Russian Federation. ITTL Zhirinovsky's government could claim that the treaty still binds Finland because Russia can't accept a unilateral withdrawal. It would be understandable that Zhirinovsky's influence would stall the talks for a new treaty, too. Let us say his view on the position of Finland tends to differ somewhat from the Finnish mainstream.

Given that Koivisto was really careful in supporting Estonia at the time, on the grounds that Finland shouldn't be openly supporting a government by words if it can't openly support it with concrete help if and when it needs it. This is why Finnish help to Estonia was strictly unofficial, even after Finland had restored diplomatic relations with the Estonian government.

Breaking relations with Russia seems... drastic. I mean that while it might be called an appropriate response after what has happened in Tallinn, the reality is that Finland is still very alone in its relationship with Russia. It has no backup, it is not a member of the EEC/EU yet. Even IOTL the breakup of the USSR and the Yanajev coup created something of a war scare in Finland. And now there is actual fighting and atrocities in Estonia... The FDF is necessarily at some sort of an alert (even if it would not be acknowledged abroad) and many reservists and their families are afraid of them being called up (even if this would not happen).

In my opinion Koivisto and the cabinet would need at least Sweden, perhaps other Nordics (better, the entire the Nordic Council) to back it up in severing diplomatic relations with Russia. Zhirinovsky is becoming increasingly volatile and Finland alone has too much riding on this decision, I am afraid. It is not just the lives of the Estonians the government is afraid of; under the circumstances, it would very justifiably fear for the security of Finland itself. Having Finnish representation in Moscow and Russian in Helsinki at least gives the Finns a line, a barometer with which to gauge what the Russian leadership is about to do. Without it, Helsinki would be operating in the dark.

If Finland is still in negotiations with the Russians about FCMA and its replacement with a new deal, I could see the Finns walking out of those talks, sending a diplomatic note protesting the events in Estonia and declaring the old treaty null and void unilaterally. And even a decision like that would need serious talks among the government.

Last edited:
Makes a lot of sense for the election. Will be interesting, for sure.

BTW - I know I mentioned this already, but will Zhirinovsky - at some point - go for what in OTL he attempted to do in 2006 and basically legalize polygamy in Russia? If so, how much of a shock wave do you think this would cause?

I have wondered about when and how to introduce Zhirinovsky's radical ideas regarding the demographic decline in the UIS. I would say yes, but not for a few years...

Uh oh. I wouldn't want to be Koivisto or Aho (assuming he is the Prime Minister ITTL) when that happens.

Finland's situation is very difficult. The Russians have not recognized Estonia, and depending on how Finno-Russian negotiations have progressed ITTL, the FCMA Treaty might still be in effect on paper - for Russia, that is. For Finland, IOTL, Koivisto had declared the treaty void in the fall of 1991 as he did the Paris Peace Treaty. But we can say that for Russia it was ended in January 1992 IOTL when Aho and Burbulis signed a new basic treaty governing the relations between Finland and the Russian Federation. ITTL Zhirinovsky's government could claim that the treaty still binds Finland because Russia can't accept a unilateral withdrawal. It would be understandable that Zhirinovsky's influence would stall the talks for a new treaty, too. Let us say his view on the position of Finland tends to differ somewhat from the Finnish mainstream.

Given that Koivisto was really careful in supporting Estonia at the time, on the grounds that Finland shouldn't be openly supporting a government by words if it can't openly support it with concrete help if and when it needs it. This is why Finnish help to Estonia was strictly unofficial, even after Finland had restored diplomatic relations with the Estonian government.

Breaking relations with Russia seems... drastic. I mean that while it might be called an appropriate response after what has happened in Tallinn, the reality is that Finland is still very alone in its relationship with Russia. It has no backup, it is not a member of the EEC/EU yet. Even IOTL the breakup of the USSR and the Yanajev coup created something of a war scare in Finland. And now there is actual fighting and atrocities in Estonia... The FDF is necessarily at some sort of an alert (even if it would not be acknowledged abroad) and many reservists and their families are afraid of them being called up (even if this would not happen).

In my opinion Koivisto and the cabinet would need at least Sweden, perhaps other Nordics (better, the entire the Nordic Council) to back it up in severing diplomatic relations with Russia. Zhirinovsky is becoming increasingly volatile and Finland alone has too much riding on this decision, I am afraid. It is not just the lives of the Estonians the government is afraid of; under the circumstances, it would very justifiably fear for the security of Finland itself. Having Finnish representation in Moscow and Russian in Helsinki at least gives the Finns a line, a barometer with which to gauge what the Russian leadership is about to do. Without it, Helsinki would be operating in the dark.

If Finland is still in negotiations with the Russians about FCMA and its replacement with a new deal, I could see the Finns walking out of those talks, sending a diplomatic note protesting the events in Estonia and declaring the old treaty null and void unilaterally. And even a decision like that would need serious talks among the government.

What is going to be interesting in the coming posts is that several conservative leaders in the west get hammered for being too soft on Russia early on (such as what we saw with Bush and Major) and that
Aho starts to really emerge as one of the new leaders of the center-right in Europe. It was not clear thus far in TTL, but Finland has been sounding the alarms since Azerbaijan and while the USA and UK have been trying to work with the UIS, Finland has in many ways been preparing for this moment since October of 1991. although Finland is going it alone (as of right now) we also see that the rest of the west will soon follow (Bush telling Baker the honeymoon was over) and Finland may soon be reconsidering entry into NATO very soon. The next post will deal with the absolute collapse of the warm relations that were slowly developing with the West, with our first look at what is going on in Germany and Romania

Very good update. I especially like how you're doing the '92 elections just as the 2012 presidential elections are starting to kick off.

What is going to be interesting in the coming posts is that several conservative leaders in the west get hammered for being too soft on Russia early on (such as what we saw with Bush and Major) and that
Aho starts to really emerge as one of the new leaders of the center-right in Europe. It was not clear thus far in TTL, but Finland has been sounding the alarms since Azerbaijan and while the USA and UK have been trying to work with the UIS, Finland has in many ways been preparing for this moment since October of 1991. although Finland is going it alone (as of right now) we also see that the rest of the west will soon follow (Bush telling Baker the honeymoon was over) and Finland may soon be reconsidering entry into NATO very soon. The next post will deal with the absolute collapse of the warm relations that were slowly developing with the West, with our first look at what is going on in Germany and Romania

It sounds still a very un-Finnish thing to do. Finns very rarely are those who make drastic actions before someone else has done them already. (I would argue that Finns are almost incapable culturally to make anything dramatic if they aren't somehow forced to do so.)

Anyway, a great update as usually. :D

It sounds still a very un-Finnish thing to do. Finns very rarely are those who make drastic actions before someone else has done them already. (I would argue that Finns are almost incapable culturally to make anything dramatic if they aren't somehow forced to do so.)

I pretty much agree with this sentiment. Finnish foreign policy changes incrementally, and the legacy of Kekkonen-period neutrality has still a huge influence on cabinet policies.

In all honesty, I'd say if Carl Bildt and Gro Harlem Brundtland together released a statement saying that Sweden and Norway will severe their relations with Zhirinovsky's Russia if Russia does not immediately withdraw its support to Baltic Russian militias and work together with the Nordic states in setting up a lasting ceasefire in Estonia, the Finnish response would be Koivisto telling the international press that while Finland agrees with the Swedo-Norwegian viewpoint in principle, we do not think it is wise to allow the regrettable situation in Estonia and the other Baltic states increase international tension in the larger Baltic sphere.

Finns are doctors, not judges, like he used to say. "Containment" would likely be the Finnish watchword under the circumstances. If the unstablity and war in the Baltic states escalate and expand, Finland would be in one of the first nations in the line of fire.

There is one thing that is good to remember when talking about about Finnish government policies in the early 90s. 1990-1993 were the years of the worst economic crisis independent Finland has yet seen. The national economy was in deep recession and the banking crisis was as bad as we have seen in the worst hit Eurozone nations these last years, caused by both the collapse of the USSR causing a huge hit for Finnish exports and an especially badly timed and handled deregulation in the domestic financial market. Economically, the Finnish state was only inches away from falling into direct IMF control. In early-mid 1992 the crisis would likely reach its zenith also ITTL, the original PoD(s) being just a couple of years in to the past. The Finnish government does not need anything that would rock the boat and make its poor situation worse than it already was.

Still, Finland would try to do what it can for Estonia, but meanwhile there's probably paranoia in Finland about Russia attacking, so it will have to be a delicate balance. Finland don't want to come out as the leader of an anti- Russian bloc, but more as an advisor on Russian affairs, that just might bark now and then, but in the end not be considered a threat to Moscow.

I pretty much agree with this sentiment. Finnish foreign policy changes incrementally, and the legacy of Kekkonen-period neutrality has still a huge influence on cabinet policies.

In all honesty, I'd say if Carl Bildt and Gro Harlem Brundtland together released a statement saying that Sweden and Norway will severe their relations with Zhirinovsky's Russia if Russia does not immediately withdraw its support to Baltic Russian militias and work together with the Nordic states in setting up a lasting ceasefire in Estonia, the Finnish response would be Koivisto telling the international press that while Finland agrees with the Swedo-Norwegian viewpoint in principle, we do not think it is wise to allow the regrettable situation in Estonia and the other Baltic states increase international tension in the larger Baltic sphere.

Finns are doctors, not judges, like he used to say. "Containment" would likely be the Finnish watchword under the circumstances. If the unstablity and war in the Baltic states escalate and expand, Finland would be in one of the first nations in the line of fire.

There is one thing that is good to remember when talking about about Finnish government policies in the early 90s. 1990-1993 were the years of the worst economic crisis independent Finland has yet seen. The national economy was in deep recession and the banking crisis was as bad as we have seen in the worst hit Eurozone nations these last years, caused by both the collapse of the USSR causing a huge hit for Finnish exports and an especially badly timed and handled deregulation in the domestic financial market. Economically, the Finnish state was only inches away from falling into direct IMF control. In early-mid 1992 the crisis would likely reach its zenith also ITTL, the original PoD(s) being just a couple of years in to the past. The Finnish government does not need anything that would rock the boat and make its poor situation worse than it already was.

Very valid points. I picked Finland to sort of spearhead the anti-Russia movement due to the close and natural ties to Estonia, but these are very, very good points. I think that Finland would chose to act along side Sweeden and Norway on this in hindsight. But keep in mind, in early 1992 everything is happening very quickly. From being the Soviet Union, to crushing Azerbaijan (and earning worldwide condemnation) to getting embarresed by the Tajiks and Uzbeks to becoming close friends to the Americans back to becoming the next Nazi Germany, all in less that nine months. Estonia and Lativa is where the world finally throws their arms in the air and says "no mas". Finland did act on their own, but everyone else is close behind, and I think I will make a minor correction to have Finland acting with Sweeden and Norway to cut ties to Russia.

And the next post we will see how Germany is dealing with Zhirinovsky...:eek:

I am wondering about two things:

Kalinigrad. Could Zhirinovsky sell it to the Germans?

Andrei Chilatoi. Anything different in this timeline about his fate? Could it significantly affect Zhirinovsky's presidency?