Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire

Would anyone actually vote for Stassen in '92? The man was 85 years old at the time. I can't imagine someone being able to campaign effectively at the age of 85!

If he won, at the end of his first term he'd be 89! That effectively rules out a second term.

I find the prospect of Stassen being the Republican nominee to be fairly unlikely because of his advanced age.

Last edited:
Would anyone actually vote for Stassen in '92? The man was 85 years old at the time. I can't imagine someone being able to campaign effectively at the age of 85!

If he won, at the end of his first term he'd be 90! That effectively rules out a second term.

I find the prospect of Stassen being the Republican nominee to be fairly unlikely because of his advanced age.

But he doesn't win the nomination. Or any primary's save one: his home state. I sort of compare it to Obama's close call in West Virginia earlier this year when a federal inmate captured 41% of the vote in the Democratic Primary...

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Electi...rcent-of-W.Va.-primary-vote-to-federal-inmate

What it does is show the world that Bush in beatable. Considering in OTL this happened in NH when Buchanan captured 40% of the vote, I think in 1992 there were a lot of Republican's who were looking to vote for anyone besides Bush. In TTL Republican's don't want to vote for Buchanan due to the fact that he is seen as too soft on Zhirinovsky and Russia. (In OTL he was embarrassed when Zhirinovsky endorsed him, forcing him to try and distance himself from Vlad). Hence the only remaining candidate, who also happens to be sounding the warning bells on Russia, emerges and scores one primary vicotry out of 53. it is not enough to seriosuly threaten Bush's nomination, but it shows the chink in his armor.

I am wondering about two things:

Kalinigrad. Could Zhirinovsky sell it to the Germans?

Andrei Chilatoi. Anything different in this timeline about his fate? Could it significantly affect Zhirinovsky's presidency?

No on Kallinigrad, but it will come into play in the next post.

And as for Citizen X, had not considered his role in this TL yet. Interesting idea though...

PART TWENTY TWO: PRUSSIAGATE

As we see in this update, things go from bad to worse with the West, with Germany now leading the charge agaisnt Russia and Zhirinovsky. Also, the political situation in the US starts to clarify itself, with Bush taking a beating in the press as Nebraska Senator Bob Kerrey emerges as the Democratc nominee.

Just an FYI, the SNL skit is a bit hard to understand if you never saw Dana Carvey's George Bush bit. I would suggest doing a Youtube or Hulu search if you are curious, as those phrases ("na ga da it" and "wouldn't be prudent") were commonly used in his skits where he portrayed the President.

THE 1992 CAMPAIGN: TSONGAS AND CLINTON ABANDON CAMPAIGNS, LEAVING KERREY A CLEAR PATH TOWARD SHOWDOWN WITH BUSH

By ROBERT ROBERTS
Published: March 20, 1992

clinton.jpg

Clinton thanks supporters in Little Rock as he bows out of the race

Former Senator Paul E. Tsongas of Massachusetts and former Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton withdrew from the race for the Democratic Presidential nomination today, a decision that many in the party said all but guaranteed the selection of Senator Bob Kerrey of Nebraska as the Democratic candidate for President.

Mr. Tsongas announced his departure at a news conference in Boston, where he cited a lack of money in his decision. Clinton announced his departure in Little Rock, citing disappointing results in his native South, where he hoped to score a major coup ten days ago during Super Tuesday.

“We appreciate all the support we received in Louisiana and Mississippi,” Clinton said during a press conference, “but I cannot in good conscience continue this campaign when all it would do at this time is damage Senator Kerrey’s prospects in November.”

Although Clinton was expected to be a major player in the race, personal scandals coupled with his perceived lack of foreign policy experience crippled his campaign. After a disappointing third place showing in New Hampshire, he focused on winning big in the South. However, Kerrey’s win in Florida and Texas on Super Tuesday dwarfed Clinton’s wins in Louisiana and Mississippi, and all but sealed the nomination for the Nebraska Senator.

“While Senator Tsongas played to President Bush’s weaknesses regarding the economy, Senator Kerrey capitalized on his foreign policy blunders in regards to the former Soviet Union,” commented former Senator Eugene McCarthy, who dropped out of the race early on. “As a result, Governor Clinton was really left out in the cold this election. I really think if it were just about the economy, he would have emerged victorious. But once Russia started flaring up, Senator Kerrey was able to ride on his experience in Vietnam and his strong foreign policy background to really derail the Clinton campaign before it had a chance to take off.”

Kerrey’s victory in Florida was seen as a direct result of the situation with Russia, coming weeks after Russian President Vladimir Zhirinovsky’s bizarre anti-Israel comment in New York City during his visit the previous month.

“It was clear that the Jewish community in Florida were very, very worried about Zhirinovsky,” McCarthy added, “and Bob Kerrey was the man who most comforted the Jewish-American community in regards to Russia. If not for that, I think Clinton might have won Florida, and maybe even this election.”

Exit polls showed Senator Kerrey polling as high as 85% with Jewish Democrats in Florida after the primary election.

Harold Stassen, America’s Winston Churchill, died on March 4th, aged 93

The Economist
Mar 8th 2001

stassen92rep.jpg

Stassen speaks ot the 1992 Republican National Convention in Houston

Harold Stassen, one of the elder statesmen in American politics and the man who was famously described as the “moral compass of the Republican Party” by former President Ronald Reagan in 1992, died this week at his home in Minneapolis at the age of 93.

Although Stassen’s early political career saw him emerge as one of the most attractive young Republican politicians in the country in the 1940s, his multiple failed presidential runs soon diminished his appeal within political circles. By the time Harold Stassen had announced his candidacy for president in 1992, he had already been relegated to the role of a virtual national joke. After eight unsuccessful campaigns for President between 1948 and 1988, Stassen was better known for the comical “Stop Stassen” movement, which humorously tried to convince the former governor to abandon another impossible campaign. However, by the end of 1992 Harold Stassen mounted one of the most improbable political comebacks in American history and became the elder statesmen of the Party. He famously received the loudest standing ovation during the 1992 Republican National Convention in Houston when he said: “the greatest threat to America today is this new fascist union that has replaced the Soviet Union. Make no mistake, Russia cannot be trusted, they are not our allies.” The statement, and the outpouring of support it created, surprised many political insiders, and was dubbed “Stassen’s Churchill speech” by conservative commentators. Even Ronald Reagan, who spoke after Stassen, was genuinely impressed with the former governor when he said in his speech “I’m glad we have patriots like Harold Stassen on our side.” The line from Reagan also led to a standing ovation from the crowd in Houston.

After the 1992 election, Stassen continued to serve the Republican Party in an advisory role, and in one of the great ironies of politics, turned down an offer by numerous Republican officials to run in the 1996 election, citing his advanced age.

“I really don’t think he was running all those times because he necessarily wanted to be president,” commented a former aid to Stassen who worked with him in his 1992 campaign, “but he had a message, and he really believed if he remained authentic, if he refused to sell out his principles, sooner or later people would recognize he had been right all along and respect his convictions. He always took the hard positions that hurt him politically, such as supporting the Civil Rights Act and Martin Luther King when it wasn’t popular with some Republicans. But in the end, he was proven right, time and time again.”

CNN interview with James Baker, former Secretary of State under President George H.W. Bush

July 13, 1997

CNN: Did President Bush do enough to contain the UDR after the war in Estonia and Latvia exploded?

Baker: I think so. But unfortunately it came during an election, so it looked like everything we did was in response to the poll numbers. When he froze aid to the UDR after the convention, the press called it a shallow attempt to appease the Stassen-block of the GOP. And when President Bush pushed to have Hungary and Poland admitted into NATO most of the media criticized it as a feeble attempt to contain the surging Kerrey movement.

CNN: Do you think the media gave you a bum rap?

Baker: Yes. President Bush was on the cover of Newsweek and he was called a ‘wimp’ in 1987. Saturday Night Live was making fun of him every weekend with some skit about how President Bush was afraid of his own shadow. In 1988 we didn’t have a problem looking like a strong leader compared to Michael Dukakis, but in 1992 the media really unfairly attacked Bush and portrayed Kerrey as this ‘man’s man’ who was going to stand up to Russia and restore America’s place in the world.

CNN: Much like what Reagan did in the 1980 election.

Baker (long pause): Yes, I suppose so. Once Zhirinovsky started creating absolute havoc across Europe, in Romania and Yugoslavia, it became a big problem and Kerrey was able to come out looking like Ronald Reagan and Bush ended up looking like Jimmy Carter to a certain extent. But if the media would have fairly reported what we were doing, I think things would have been different. If the American people saw the steps we took to contain Russia, they would have seen that, in many ways President Bush did an incredible job in stopping the Russian threat. Considering that for eight years President Kerrey was unable to contain the UIS, it was clear that it was a very difficult situation we were in back in 1992.

Transcript from Saturday Night Live
June 20, 1992

Guest: Tom Hanks

SNL2.jpg

Clip features Kevin Nealon as Sam Donaldson and Dana Carvey as George Bush

Donaldson: Mr. President, it was recently announced that the Russian army has invaded Alaska. Senator Kerrey has criticized your response of doing nothing as, and I quote, “being way too French”.

(Audience laughter)

Bush: Now Sam. Not going to send troops to fight in Alaska. Na ga do it. Wouldn’t be prudent. It’s cold up there. Na ga da it.

(Audience laughter)

Twenty Years Later, Prussiagate Still Defines German Foreign Policy

Der Spiegel – English Edition
April 22, 2012 at 11:15 AM EDT
By: Hans Wirth

For Norbert Blüm, Minister of Labour and Social Affairs under former Chancellor Helmut Kohl, he remembered the day as if it were yesterday.

“We were in the middle of a meeting when a young page came in with a personal message from the UDR embassy.” Blüm said as he sipped his coffee, “The Chancellor took it and read it quietly for just a moment. Had it ended there I would have forgotten about it. We receive memos and letters and communications every day. But his response was such that I would never forget.”

Blüm had known the stoic Kohl for over thirty years, and had worked with Kohl in German politics since they were both young men. But never did he see the Chancellor respond the way he did that day.

“He swore,” Blüm said, “In thirty years I never heard him swear. But as he read that letter I heard him loudly yell ‘what the fuck is this?!’ as he crumpled up the paper and threw it in the wastebasket. I didn’t know what the letter said, but I never saw the Chancellor so visibly upset.”

The incident might have ended there had it not been for the Chancellor’s angry response. Across the cabinet whispers began to circulate as to the contents of the letter. And before the end of the day the memo would be removed from the wastebasket, although the culprit would remain a source of controversy to this day. Within two weeks it would be sent to the German press, causing one of the biggest scandals to his the country since the end of World War II.

“Clearly, in hindsight the Chancellor should have responded differently,” Blüm said with a sigh, “but I really believe him when he said he thought it was some sort of sick joke. Today we know what kind of man Vladimir Zhirinovsky is, but in early 1992 we were still discovering what he was. You don’t get a letter like that and assume a sane person would send it to you!”

The infamous Prussiagate scandal started with that personalized, hand written letter, from Russian President Vladimir Zhirinovsky to Kohl, proposing an alliance to invade Poland and divide the country up between the two nations with the pre-World War I borders (excluding the Kaliningrad enclave). The letter was written in German and full of grammatical errors. It often rambled and in several places made absolutely no sense whatsoever (in one German comedy magazine, a satirical classified ad was posted in which the Russian government was seeking German translators, with the only qualification being that the translator know how to spell “concentration camp”). However, the portions of the letter that could be deciphered were frightening.

“-and for make no Poles in Prussia, and no Poles in Danzig, Germany make to be for in camp of Poles to be die,” the letter chillingly said in one portion, “Russia will to have Poles too much, and not want more.”

The letter caused an uproar in Germany and Poland, with Polish President Lech Walesa furious at what he deemed was a “casual and dismissive response to a call for a second Holocaust.”

“Kohl just underestimated the impact of Polish fears and concerns over both Russian and a unified Germany,” Blüm said. “He already had one gaffe when he suggested in 1990 that the Oder-Neisse line might be open to negotiation as a permanent border once Germany was unified.”

The backlash against Kohl and Zhirinovsky was furious, and in hindsight created one of the most unusual developments of modern Europe.

“Kohl knew he had to do damage control,” Blüm said, “but more importantly, as Estonia and Latvia spiraled into civil war, he also knew that steps had to be taken to stop Russia before they started a major conflict all across Europe. Once he realized the Prussiagate letter was legitimate he championed Polish admission into NATO. In fact, had it not been for Kohl, I doubt the French or Italians would have allowed NATO expansion into Poland and Hungary in 1992. They were worried about provoking Russia, but Kohl’s firm leadership and determination on the issue made it happen.”

However, despite steps taken to lead Western Europe’s opposition to the UIS, Kohl remained on the defensive throughout his career over the Prussiagate memo.

“I think there might have been some overcompensating,” former US Special Envoy to UN Cyrus Vance once famously quipped in 1995, “because the Germans were always refusing to make any compromises when it came to the Russians.”

It is a sentiment that Blüm tends to agree with.

“Kohl was determined to stop the Russians at any cost,” Blüm said, “and it is probably Kohl’s NATO expansion that led to the creation of the UIS and the occupation of the Croatian Krajina by the UIS. In hind sight, we should have told the world about that letter. Then we wouldn’t have to constantly be playing hardball.”

“My Russia- An Autobiography by former Russian Prime Minister Gennady Burbulis”

Published by Interbook, © 1998

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

The cabinet was in a near riot. Even Zhirinovsky’s strongest supporter, Vice President Andrei Zavidiya was furious with the Russian President.

“Why would you send that letter to the Germans?!” he screamed as Zhirinovsky cowered sheepishly in his chair, “not only do we sound like a bunch of Nazis, but we sound like a bunch of retarded Nazis as well!”

Zhirinovsky tried to backpedal, and say that he didn’t mean for the letter to have been made public, as if that was some sort of defense.

“I can’t believe Kohl would do this,” he mumbled under his breath, “I extended my hand to him in friendship.”

“Not everyone is a fucking idiot,” Zavidiya screamed at the President, “they don’t all think like you do!”

I honestly wondered if we the President’s cabinet was going to beat him to death right then and there. I had to hold Prime Minister Silayev back on several occasions to prevent him from trying to hit Zhirinovsky. After Estonia and Latvia the world was already turning on us. The Finns, alongside with the Swedes and Norwegians had cut all diplomatic ties with us, and we knew that after the scandal this letter caused, the rest of the world would follow suit. That stupid letter had turned Russia into North Korea over night. And after all the progress we had made, strengthening ties with the United States and Western Europe just a few weeks ago. For Zhirinovsky to grab a German-Russian dictionary and propose a Hitler-esque invasion of Poland was the most idiotic thing he could have done! I honestly couldn’t believe he was that stupid and reckless. He didn’t even have the common sense to properly translate the letter, making a mockery of our country on top of everything else!

Finally, after everyone had taken turns screaming at Zhirinovsky we finally had to decide how to deal with the problem.

“We better call the federal government” Silayev said angrily, “considering this Republic just destroyed the federal economy.”

I decided we couldn’t deal with this anymore. I know Silayev was worried about Alksnis, but we simply could not have Zhirinovsky in leadership anymore. I knew we had to destroy everything we had been working so hard for under Boris Yeltsin: we had to weaken the strength of the Republics and hand over power to the federal government.

“Gentlemen, I think there is only one option right now,” I said. “We need to let the world know that this madman does not speak for the country.”

The entire cabinet began to shuffle uneasily. They were worried, and understandably so. But if we could marginalize Zhirinovsky then perhaps the international community would not impose sanctions. Perhaps we would still be able to be seen as a responsible member of the international community if we could just convince the world that Zhirinovsky wasn’t really in charge; that he was just some unelected low level regional government official who really didn’t have any say in matters of international policy. I saw them all nod their heads in approval as Prime Minister Silayev stood up.

“I will call Prime Minister Luzhkov,” he said solemnly, “I think that we should only deal with him. I am willing to hand over our country to him, but not to Alksnis.”

We all nodded in agreement, and quickly voted on the matter before Prime Minister Silayev stepped out of the room to make the call we all prayed would never have to be made.

“I hope you know what you’re doing,” Sergei Filatov said to me under his breath, “because if Zhirinovsky is working under the table with Alksnis, then you were just conned. If that is the case then you just handed the entire country over to the fascists and the communists.”

Last edited:
It seems like Zhirinovsky's only supporter is himself...

In OTL Zavidiya was Zhiri's running mate in the 1991 election, and one of his closest allies. by 1994 he cut ties to the LDPR, citing Zhirinovsky's insanity as the reason. Many of Zhirinovsky's supporters over the year have done the same. So in a way, you are right. Even his supporters, like Zavidiya, soon grow fed up with him, something that will be common ITTL as well...

You have to wonder what the Russian public is thinking, at least under Brezhnev crazy shit wasn't happening all the time.

Just out of interest what is the state of the UDR's military & economy? Because despite Zhirinovsky's gaffes. Russia doesn't seem to be getting raped to death by gangster-capitalism like OTL...

You have to wonder what the Russian public is thinking, at least under Brezhnev crazy shit wasn't happening all the time.

I would assume that some of it is brushed off - at least if the VGTRK (the Soviet version, not the modern Russian one [1]) is saying that all's well. Whether Tass and/or the Information Agency „Novosti” say otherwise is a different story.

[1] What I'm assuming is that this Gorbachëv-era creation, supposedly (from my observations) replacing a state broadcaster (the State Committee for Television and Radio Broadcasting, or Gosteleradio) with a public broadcaster (the All-Union State Television and Radio Broadcasting Company, or VGTRK), remains as such, even retaining the formal name as part of the UDR. So it retains Radio-1, Mayak, Orfey, and Yunost, as well as Radio Moscow and the old "Radio Station 'Peace and Progress'" and at least 3 of the 5 main TV channels (with Moscow and Leningrad retaining two other channels, though Zhirinovsky could be making a move for the Moscow Programme so as to give him a voice independent of the UDR channels).

However, probably to give it a new post-Soviet identity, the old „Ostankino” brand from OTL (that was used in the early years of the Russian Federation before it was divided and privatized, leaving us with „ORT/Public Russian Television” as the successor to Ostankino) would be used in TTL as the public branding for the VGTRK. So the First and Second Channels, as well as the Educational Programme, would be rendered as OK-1, OK-2, and OK-4 in the Western radio/TV manuals (like the WRTH) and as 1-й канал Останкино, 2-й канал Останкино, and 4-й канал Останкино in the UDR. Radio Moscow would not be affected, but could be renamed Radio Moscow International (as in OTL), including even in Russian. Most of Radio Station Peace and Progress could conceivably be merged into Radio Moscow International, whilst all that remains could be a rump station which could be spun off and privatized. The other four radio stations (Radio-1, Mayak, Yunost, and Orfey) could probably remain as before, but with a partial overhaul, as well as Radio Orfey getting expanded coverage outside of the metro areas and becoming more of an "arts and culture" station (while classical music would still get top billing, it would no longer be the only thing on the lineup) and Mayak expanding its programming a bit to be a cross between BBC Radio 2 and the old Springbok Radio. Radio-1 I'm not too sure about - sure, it'll try to clean up its act (in order to compete with Zhirinovsky's "Radio Rossii"), but it's the name that I'm hung up on. "Радио-1 Останкино/Radio-1 Ostankino"? Could work. "Радио Орбита/Radio Orbita"? Somewhat better (as it includes the name of the different satellite versions of this programme). But, politicians being politicians, "Радио-1 Останкино" is the best we've got.

Ostankino would probably retain strong links with the Leningrad Programme (aka Programme 5), even if the Leningrad State Television and Radio Broadcasting Company remains independent of both Zhirinovsky's media apparatus and the VGTRK. The Fifth Channel would probably retain a lot of programmes from the old Soviet days, but mixed up with a bit of an arts and culture feel (for two reasons: 1. in OTL, the Fifth Channel's original transmitter network outside of St. Petersburg was reappropriated to RTR to form RTR 2, now Russia K, which was to Russia what BBC2 and BBC4 are to the UK, and make a nice complement to RTR 1, now Russia 1; and 2. it's St. Petersburg/Leningrad, the "window to the West", so of course they'd go that far). The Fifth Channel could also be broadcast outside of Russia via satellite, if one wanted to, even if only to show the skeptics that all is well in Mother Russia by giving a Leningrad channel as "window dressing".

A possible minor POD here being that the VGTRK continues to broadcast the Second Channel instead of, in OTL, stopping it and abruptly handing control over to Yeltsin's RTR (meaning RTR - and thus the OTL modern Russian VGTRK - doesn't exist, or if it does in a very different form after the Yeltsin which [almost] slavishly serves Zhirinovsky). If Zhirinovsky makes the move towards the Moscow Programme, than it would be given the OTL „ORT/Public Russian Television” brand, with the difference being that Zhirinovsky's channel is a pure state broadcaster whilst the VGTRK and the Fifth Channel at least try not to have that perception, even if they are descended from the USSR state media apparatus.

Once we get into the UIS, I don't see this changing one bit, though - to match the use of the Russia-1 logo in one of the photos - I would assume that RTR is replaced by a new company encompassing it and the Russian Information Agency, where ORT is renamed Russia 1 and the old 6th channel is renamed Russia 2. This new company - or rather, probably back to being a full state broadcaster, as a *"All-Russian State Committee for Television and Radio Broadcasting" - would be more in Zhirinovsky's molding rather than being something from the Yeltsin era that Zhirinovsky somehow inherited. It would still be different from the VGTRK and the Fifth Channel, but since both are more or less compliant with Zhirinovsky then this wouldn't be a problem. I don't have much detail in the TL as to hypothesize how it could go from there, but that's my take so far based on the background info the author provided.

Very valid points. I picked Finland to sort of spearhead the anti-Russia movement due to the close and natural ties to Estonia, but these are very, very good points. I think that Finland would chose to act along side Sweeden and Norway on this in hindsight. But keep in mind, in early 1992 everything is happening very quickly. From being the Soviet Union, to crushing Azerbaijan (and earning worldwide condemnation) to getting embarresed by the Tajiks and Uzbeks to becoming close friends to the Americans back to becoming the next Nazi Germany, all in less that nine months. Estonia and Lativa is where the world finally throws their arms in the air and says "no mas". Finland did act on their own, but everyone else is close behind, and I think I will make a minor correction to have Finland acting with Sweeden and Norway to cut ties to Russia.

And the next post we will see how Germany is dealing with Zhirinovsky...:eek:

Thank you for acknowledging the issue. You are IMHO writing a TL worthy of a Turtledove, and it bothered me to see the Finnish government acting uncharacteristically among what otherwise seem very well created and written developments.

That the Finns make a stand this way makes it seem that things have happened that have not been explicitly mentioned, things that would turn the Finnish attitude harder. It is known that since 1991 FDF reserve officers were already helping the Estonians set up the army and the reborn Kaitseliit, off the record of course. It is not impossible that not only these men would report atrocities done by Russian irregulars to the Finnish authorities, but might also get killed themselves, whether or not they are taking part in the fighting themselves - officially, of course, they would be absolutely prohibited from doing this. But things happen in a civil war. Also, southern Finnish ports would likely be full of Estonians escaping the fighting in different ships and boats and they would have horror stories to tell that woukld make big headlines in the Finnish yellow press. It might be possible, for example, for a ship like the Georg Ots being used to ferry badly injured people to Helsinki for medical help, and the arrival of a whole passenger ship full of dying Estonians would definitely be a huge event that would enrage Finns. For added effect, perhaps Baltic Russian irregulars have also attacked Finnish diplomats or other official representatives in Tallinn, or Finnish Red Cross personnel, whether on purpose or accidentally...

PART TWENTY THREE: THE LOST 300

Well in this update we now are starting to get a clearer picture of how the UDR will become the UIS, and how things in Estonia turn into an absolute disaster for both sides. This is a war that will resemble Bosnia in OTL, not Azerbaijan in TTL. It is not a quick, easy 13 day conflict, but a long, protracted war with lots of casualties on both sides. And both General Tirpitz and DrakonFin brought up a good point on the Finnish reaction to the Russian role in the war in Estonia, and it being somewhat uncharacteristic of the Finnish nation. Hence I decided to do some research and strengthen that angle of the TL. Besides it now being a Scandinavian action, with Norway and Sweden, we also now have the “Lost 300”, which becomes thee major issue regarding Finnish and Russian relations from 1992 onward.

Also, we see Zhirinovsky get spanked by the Russian parliament and the first sign of the emergence of Yegor Gaidar, who in OTL was the man responsible for the shock therapy of free market reform in Russia. With Zhirinovsky marginalized right as Russian militias are getting routed in Estonia and the free-market shock therapy about to get implemented in Russia, coupled with fears of the UDR getting too strong, does Zhirinovsky succeed in insulating himself from the coming crash in Russia by being able to argue that he had no role in all of these Russian “disasters” in 1992? We shall see…

Some new names to emerge in this update…

Yegor Gaidar:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yegor_Gaidar

The Estonian city of Paldiski (on the Padki Peninsula):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paldiski

Belarusian Prime Minister Vyachaslaw Kyebich:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vyachaslaw_Kyebich

Finland angry over Russian ceremony for Finns killed in Estonian civil war

Der Spiegel – English Edition
April 01, 2004 at 07:15 AM EDT
By: Hans Wirth

russian-military-funeral.jpg

UIS Soldiers carry the coffin of Erik Kulmala across the border into Finland

(HELSINKI) For Sofia Kulmala, the sight of Russian troops carrying a coffin draped in the Finnish flag hit her like a knife through her heart.

“I know Prime Minister (Matti) Vanhanen had little choice to agree to this disgusting charade,” she told Der Spiegel the day after she received the body of he son, Erik, from the UIS, “but for them to take this so far, to make such a show of it. It was horrible!”

For over nine years Kulmala knew nothing about what happened to her son on that horrible day in 1992 when the newly independent Republic of Estonia spiraled into anarchy and civil war. Reports were spotty, and for Kulmala and the over 100 Finnish families whose loved ones disappeared in the opening days of the conflict, the silence from Moscow was nothing short of torture. But although all held onto hope, that somehow, somewhere, their loved ones were still alive, they also knew the likely truth.

“The last anyone saw of Erik was when the Russian militias came to his office in Paldiski,” Kulmala said bitterly, “they beat him up, along with six other Finns working for the Helsinki University of Technology. Then they dragged them into a truck and disappeared.”

Although UIS President Alexander Lebed had taken steps to reestablish ties to with Finland, the issue of “the Lost 300” remained a major obstacle that the UIS needed to address. In the opening hours of the Estonian Civil War 301 Finnish nationals living and working in Estonia were systematically rounded up and subsequently disappeared. Under former UIS President Vladimir Zhirinovsky, the official policy of Moscow was that the “Lost 300” has simply retuned to Finland. Their disappearance prompted Finland, along with Norway and Sweden, to cut diplomatic ties to Russia, the first three nations to do so after the fall of the Soviet Union. However, as more and more evidence emerged, including satellite images of mass graves located on the Pakri Peninsula near Paldiski, Finnish anger at Russian denials became defining. In November of 2001, during the Crawford thaw (when Western relations with the UIS improved during the American-led war on Afghanistan) Russia finally admitted that the Lost 300 were in fact dead. However, what followed proved to be a diplomatic mess that has yet to resolve itself between the two nations.

“They claimed that Erik was killed fighting alongside the Estonians, fighting the Russian troops,” Kulmala said bitterly, “that he was killed in battle. But that is a lie! Erik was a scientist! An environmentalist! He was there studying the impact of the Soviet nuclear reactor in Paldiski. He was there to help clean up the country, not to fight in a war.”

It is a story that almost all of the families of the Lost 300 share. All bitterly deny that their loved ones were in fact soldiers, and most have ample evidence to back up their claim.

“We have held firm our position since 1992,” said Sami Jarvinen, director of the Red Cross in Helsinki, “that the 57 Red Cross volunteers who were killed in Estonia during the civil war were not mercenaries.”

However, hopes that President Lebed would ease the official Russian position that the Lost 300 had, in fact, been mercenaries were dealt a devastating blow when the bodies of Erik Kulmala and 44 other Finns were brought to the border town of Imatra yesterday. Draped in Finnish flags, the coffins of the 45 men were treated to full military honors by the Russians before they were handed over to the visibly irritated Finnish delegation. After turning the coffins over, a Russian military officer loudly declared to the assembled press that they “humbly return these Finnish patriots, who died fighting for their ethnic brothers and sisters in Estonia, back to the land of their birth.”

Russian Parliament censures President, votes to limit his power

May 10, 1992
By Vincent J. Shanks,
Chicago Tribune.

MOSCOW — in a stunning blow to the Russian President, members of his own Liberal Democratic Party of Russia voted alongside the opposition to censure the Russian President over his role in the Prussiagate scandal. The vote followed another nearly unanimous vote to severely curtail the authority of the Russian President as the federal government of the UDR tries to comfort the international community and convince western nations that Mr. Zhirinovsky has no authority over UDR foreign policy.

“Clearly we need to let the international community know that Mr. Zhirinovsky, the interim president pending the next election, holds no position of authority when it comes to matters of foreign policy,” said Deputy Yegor Gaidar. “He is not the spokesperson for the UDR or the Russian Republic.”

The Parliament also voted to authorize the UDR Federal Government to take control of numerous state government agencies that had fallen into control of the Liberal Democratic Party of Russia, including the TASS television network and Pravda. However, the move to centralize power with the federal government has caused concern in many of the other Republics, with both Armenia and Belarus indicating that they may consider disassociating themselves from the UDR. Armenian President Levon Ter-Petrosyan has said that the UDR “is attempting to wield too much power,” and that Armenia will, from this point on, “only honor its obligations under the UIS treaty they signed late last year with Russia.”

CNN interview with Jack Matlock, former ambassador to the USSR

August 18, 2000

CNN: How was it that men like Armenian President Levon Ter-Petrosyan or Belarusian Prime Minister Viachaslau Kebich ended up becoming strong supporters of Vladimir Zhirinovsky after Prussiagate?

Matlock: Both of them had no use for Zhirinovsky, but after Prussiagate it was looking like he was politically dead, and therefore harmless. The Russian Parliament censured him, and severely restricted his power. And the Liberal Democratic Party voted to surrender much of the formerly communist held property over to the federal government. This, coupled with the federal decree of martial law, frightened the other republics. They were more worried about the UDR than Zhirinovsky at that point.

CNN: But didn’t the contents of the Prussiagate memo worry them?

Matlock: It’s hard to know for sure. Zhirinovsky was trying to deny he wrote the note, which prompted the now anti-Zhirinovsky controlled VGTRK to compare a scan of the Prussiagate memo next to a handwritten note Zhirinovsky wrote, showing stark similarities between the two. But they most likely figured that a partnership with a Russian President, who happened to be Vladimir Zhirinovsky right now but almost certainly would be someone else in a few months, was a better alternative to being controlled by the UDR. They were growing very nervous about how the Russian government was handing over power to the federal government, but they also didn’t want to declare independence right off the bat. There was a fear that independence would provoke the federal government to respond like they did in Azerbaijan or to plunge the country into civil war like Estonia and Latvia. Even in Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, two countries that shunned both the UDR and UIS and were acting as de facto independent countries, it was clear that the UDR sanctions were crushing them. Both of those countries were descending into absolute anarchy, and with Tajikistan, civil war as well. As a result, for Belarus, Armenia, Ukraine, Georgia, and Kazakhstan the UIS treaty they signed with Zhirinovsky proved to be a very convenient backup plan. They wanted to remain part of this country, but they considered the country to be the UIS, not the UDR.

CNN: So did the UIS-treaty end up being a life preserver for President Zhirinovsky?

Matlock: Absolutely, and he saw it as such. He became a champion of the UIS treaty, knowing that as long as he pushed for it, he wouldn’t be impeached. The Russians didn’t want to provoke the other republics into leaving the Union, so if that meant putting up with Zhirinovsky for the short term, then so be it.

ESTONIAN NATIONAL ARMY ROUTS RUSSIAN MILITIAS IN TALLINN

By Jeff Coleman
Detroit Free Press
May 15, 1992

leaving.jpg

Russian civilians flee the Kristiine District of Tallinn after Estonian troops captured it yesterday

TALLINN, ESTONIA- The Estonian army mounted a fierce counterattack today after Russian militias briefly captured the Estonian Parliament and executed thirty-one Estonian lawmakers before being driven away. The Estonian National Army, which was based out of Nõmme District in south Tallinn, launched a lightning attack on the poorly trained Russian militias, driving them out of the Mustamäe and Kristiine districts in central Tallinn.

“Most of the Russians are located either in the north east of the country or in Tallinn,” commented Ado Mari, a corporal in the Estonian National Army, “and in Tallinn they are completely surrounded and badly outgunned. So we plan to liquidate the Russian threat here before we move east to Narva.”

The Russian loss of the Kristiine District is particularly significant for the Estonians. Kristiine District had a large Russian population prior to the fall of the Soviet Union and had emerged as a major center for the Russian opposition. With the fall of Kristiine, though, the district looked eerily deserted as most Russians fled shortly after the Estonian National Army entered.

“They told us they would kill us,” commented Yuri Kopov, a veteran of the World War II, “and they were separating the young men from the rest of the group and taking them behind a building, where we would hear gunfire and screams.”

The war has already claimed upwards of two thousand lives since it broke out less than three weeks ago, with atrocities alleged on both sides of the conflict. In the east, Estonians claim a policy of ethnic cleansing and war crimes from the Russian militias, which have used their capital of Narva as a base to target smaller villages nearby. Most of these villages are, unlike Tallinn, made up almost entirely of Estonians.

However, although Russian troops are making headway in the east, in Tallinn their success has been muted, as the Estonian National Army has surrounded the city and has moved to recapture the capital. The Estonian National Army has made no secret of its strategy of splitting the Russian controlled regions of the country in two with the capture of Tallinn. In the west Russian militias have captured the Pakri peninsula, and have begun moving east in an attempt to break the siege of Tallinn.

“If we capture Tallinn, the war is over,” Corporal Mari, “without their stronghold in Tallinn, Paldiski becomes cut off, and we can choke them out on the Pakri peninsula.”

Tallinn has already taken Jerusalem-like significance to both sides, with Russians calling it the center of Russia’s Baltic Republic, while Estonians claim it to be their “eternal and indivisible city on the sea.” The growing extremism on both sides has damped hopes for a negotiated settlement.

“They are all a bunch of Nazis,” commented Yuri Kopov, “they showed us they were Nazis in 1941 and they are showing it to us again. Stalin should have killed them all when we drove the Germans out, but I promise you, when Vladimir Zhirinovsky brings the Russian army into Tallinn, he won’t make that mistake again.”

RussiancontrolledEstonian5-15-1992.png

Front lines in Estonia on May 15, 1992. Russian controlled areas in Red, Estonian controlled areas in tan, and disputed areas in brown

Last edited:
“Why would you send that letter to the Germans?!” he screamed as Zhirinovsky cowered sheepishly in his chair, “not only do we sound like a bunch of Nazis, but we sound like a bunch of retarded Nazis as well!”

That is the funniest thing I've read all day.