Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire

Well, I'm not sure what Zhirinovsky's stance on the occult would be like, and judging by what I've looked up on Aum Shinrikyo, I wouldn't be surprised if the UIS intelligence group decides to monitor their activities a lot more closely.

Later in May 1994: Moldovan assault on Gagauzia leads to UIS 14th army counteroffensive.

From what we can tell, 1992-1994 Romania is still dealing with the Hungarian SLF, but move on Moldova due in part to the belief that the UIS is imploding.

Sooo...Romania is two years deep into a still inconclusive civil war brought on by a Russian-backed Hungarian insurrection (when, BTW, was the last time Russian troops were allowed to cross Romania? The _point_ of this was to create a safe corridor across Romania...) and then they decide to poke the Russian tiger with a stick by bringing the union of Romania and Moldova? The Romanian president seems remarkeably idiotic.

Bruce

Sooo...Romania is two years deep into a still inconclusive civil war brought on by a Russian-backed Hungarian insurrection (when, BTW, was the last time Russian troops were allowed to cross Romania? The _point_ of this was to create a safe corridor across Romania...) and then they decide to poke the Russian tiger with a stick by bringing the union of Romania and Moldova? The Romanian president seems remarkeably idiotic.

Bruce

Funar is a Romanian Zhirinovsky so this is not out of the question for him. But the big thing is Funar grossly underestimated the Russian military capability and response as well as how the international community would respond. also, it seemed to him more of a free trade treaty with a long term goal of unification but NATO and the UIS both saw it as a direct threat to the unity of the UIS.

With that being said I originally planned to do an update on how the SLF reached an uneasy truce with Romania which allowed Funar to focus on Moldova but never was able to get the update in. In hindsight this should have been put in.

Last edited:
That part about soldiers in Transnistria having to use white tape and cardboard for replacement rank insignia illustrates to me the brilliance of this story. Those intricate details are what make the whole thing feel like a real-life published history book one would check out of the University library or buy at Barnes & Nobles. It's consistently compelling.

Did 1993 WTC bombing occur in TTL?

From previous uptades we know Al-Queda participate in Chechnyan War, so revelation that US Goverment arming terrorist organisation responsible for terrorist attack on American soil should caused major scandal in USA even before 9/11.

So is the Hungarian SLF succesfull or not? Do they create a separate Szekelyfold or are they defeated?

Think of it like OTLs South Osettia in the 90s. They are a de facto independent country without international recognition (except perhaps the UIS) with a shaky ceasefire in place.

Last edited:
Did 1993 WTC bombing occur in TTL?

From previous uptades we know Al-Queda participate in Chechnyan War, so revelation that US Goverment arming terrorist organisation responsible for terrorist attack on American soil should caused major scandal in USA even before 9/11.

To be honest, I hadn't thought about that. I would say yes, since I think the 1993 bombing was very much a dry run for al-Qaeda. Without it, 9/11 would probably look more like the 1993 bombing in execution. Al-Qaeda didn't realize how difficult it would be to bring down the twin towers until they saw how they failed in 1993.

That part about soldiers in Transnistria having to use white tape and cardboard for replacement rank insignia illustrates to me the brilliance of this story. Those intricate details are what make the whole thing feel like a real-life published history book one would check out of the University library or buy at Barnes & Nobles. It's consistently compelling.

Thank you! :D

Interestingly enough, the story about the white tape rank insignias was based on something I read in General Lebed's autobiography. About how political hacks were appointed to the officer corp and used a similar punishment to try and belittle the troops (in the book it was guard pins that were taken from the soldiers for the smallest infractions). Needless to say, in the book (and in TTL) Lebed was deeply offended by this.

So how does the Rape of Sarajevo play out? By the sound of the name, would it be similar to the Rape of Nanking in terms of atrocities?

We will get an update in the coming months that discusses the battle of Sarajevo and in turn how he RS ends up in the UIS, but it will be awhile before we get to that, we have the Baltic republics coming into play in the next few posts.

Does it involve the Baltic States performing a Storm analogue?

We know Latvia's war ends in 1994 and Estonia's ends in 1995, but the last post refers to a Tajik civil war as well as a war between Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan. Also the situation in Romania may need some clarification (and the Funar presidency has had numerous major blunders, he may be on the verge of impeachment). I do have a few other loose ends to tie up as well.

I guess they`ll started recovery from war damages and find themselves in Ciprus like situation. For long distance the is no way they being admited into NATO.

This.

NATO won't touch them, but what we will see is two different types of peace accords:

1. Latvia, which will end up looking like pre-civil war Lebanon. The Russians make up about 35% of the population but will have a disproportionate amount of control over the government (President must be Russian, PM must be Latvian sort of breakdown).

2. Estonia will look a lot like Moldova in TTL (or Bosnia or Cyprus in OTL). De facto border sprits the country.

Latvia gets pretty much screwed in this power sharing agreement so Estonia backs out of the deal (which can account for why Estonia's war last a year longer).

You know everyone, I am in a unique place in this TL right now. I have about a dozen irons in the fire, but unlike with previous posts, I am much more flexible as to my timetable and I am not currently on a set specific story line. So, with that being said, what says the AH? Where should the next two or three updates focus on and what would you guys like to see next? I realize I left a few questions unanswered (Lithuania, Romanian civil war, etc.) so I think I'm going to spend a few updates to tie up some loose ends.

With that being said I am still in the research stage of a Uzbekistan-Turkmenistan update so that will need some more time and I won't do an update on that right away...