Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire

whitecrow

Banned
Maybe perhaps Zhirinovsky tries to promote the idea of having the UIS intel to prod Michael Ignatieff in the path to become the PM of Canada? I'm sure there's something that both Zhirinovsky and Ignatieff have in common.
Wiki says the guy lived in UK until the year 2000. And without knowing anything about him, I have to ask why this particular guy becoming PM of Canad would help Zhirinovsky? :confused:

It's just an idea, but if the UIS is to actually go toe to toe with Zhirinovsky, one must think like him. I'm just trying to come up with ideas of crazy stunts that Zhirinovsky will try to pull.

Maybe perhaps Zhirinovsky tries to promote the idea of having the UIS intel to prod Michael Ignatieff in the path to become the PM of Canada? I'm sure there's something that both Zhirinovsky and Ignatieff have in common.

I would think that the UIS would be less interested in the Liberal-Conservative split in the elections but, following the policy they used in other parts of the world, would be staunchly supportive of the PQ and be openly trying to see to it that Quebec leaves Canada. How successful this will be the question (hard to see the PQ running into the arms of the UIS looking for help from what will be a very unpopular country all over Canada, but hey, stranger things have happened in politics). I have to imagine that Zhirinovsky might not have much in common with Ignatieff, but I bet he might find some common ground with Jacques "money and the ethnic votes" Parizeau :p

Last edited:
Wiki says the guy lived in UK until the year 2000. And without knowing anything about him, I have to ask why this particular guy becoming PM of Canad would help Zhirinovsky? :confused:

hey Whitecrow, just wanted to thank you again for that link, it has some really helpful information and has given me some great ideas!

whitecrow

Banned
It's just an idea, but if the UIS is to actually go toe to toe with Zhirinovsky, one must think like him. I'm just trying to come up with ideas of crazy stunts that Zhirinovsky will try to pull.
Can you explain to me the benefit of Ignatieff (to Zhirinovsky, the UIS or anyone else who would be interested in this proposal) vs any other politician? Or is this a "rule of cool" idea purely based on the dude's Russian last name? :confused::confused::confused:

It's more than just the rule of cool though, since Ignatieff is descended from a prominent White Russian noble family. (His great-grandfather became an ambassador to the Ottoman Empire, and was even considered a contender for the Bulgarian throne, according to Wikipedia) Plus I'm sure Zhirinovsky may also want to court the exiled nobility.

I did read a book that Ignatieff himself wrote, called Blood and Belonging and there was one portion about his view of Ukrainians that may be a bit similar or different to Zhirinovsky's view of Ukrainians. Still, If the UIS wants to screw around with the USA, why not do it in its backyard?

whitecrow

Banned
It's more than just the rule of cool though, since Ignatieff is descended from a prominent White Russian noble family. (His great-grandfather became an ambassador to the Ottoman Empire, and was even considered a contender for the Bulgarian throne, according to Wikipedia) Plus I'm sure Zhirinovsky may also want to court the exiled nobility.
Since you make comments about the guys bloodlines rather than actual policies or political views, I'd say that you're just going by "rule of cool". I haven't heard of Zhirinovsky sucking up to royals OTL so I don't see why he would back this guy using the logic "he's a noble?! Awesome!"

I did read a book that Ignatieff himself wrote, called Blood and Belonging and there was one portion about his view of Ukrainians that may be a bit similar or different to Zhirinovsky's view of Ukrainians. Still, If the UIS wants to screw around with the USA, why not do it in its backyard?
Never read it so can't comment. Even so, I'd think they need more common ground than just having similar views about Ukrainians to build a political relationship on. Now if Ignatieff was anti-American or wanted to move Canada closer to Russia politically or some-such, I'd say you're onto something. But I doubt that you'ld find someone in Canada with those political views.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO​

Other than somehow encouraging Quebec separatism to troll Canada and the US, what about backing of various violent groups in pro-US South American countries? Seems the next best thing to funding militant in USA: "You mess with Chechnay, we mess with your backyard. Enjoy that little insurgency on your southern border."

But wouldn't literally every country in the world be against the UIS though? Before Zhirinovsky came to power, the cold war was capitalism vs communism. This new cold war is pretty much friendless Russia vs the world.

whitecrow

Banned
But wouldn't literally every country in the world be against the UIS though? Before Zhirinovsky came to power, the cold war was capitalism vs communism. This new cold war is pretty much friendless Russia vs the world.
Is this referring to the South America idea? if so, I'll point you to past updates that tell us Russia has friends in Balochistan and countries willing to ignore the sanctions for profit ;).

Other than somehow encouraging Quebec separatism to troll Canada and the US, what about backing of various violent groups in pro-US South American countries? Seems the next best thing to funding militant in USA: "You mess with Chechnay, we mess with your backyard. Enjoy that little insurgency on your southern border."

This is what I am thinking as well. A little rocking the boat in re Quebec, and perhaps some messing around in regards to Chiapas. but the bulk of their attention in the Americas will come in Latin America. We have a hint from earleir updates that the UIS will support a wide range of rebel groups from the FARC and Shining Path to a western backed mercenary coup-squad in Equitorial Guinea. It is not about ideology to the UIS, it is about 'what can give NATO the biggest headache and help ease sanctions at the same time?'

Hmmmmm...could Russian investors backed by Zhirinovsky do a little strategic investing in such places as Northern Italy (the Lega Nord would be a great hit), Corsica, Basque Country or Scotland?

A little rocking the boat in re Quebec

The smallest butterfly could have the referendum go the other way, and give us an independent Quebec.

If Kerrey decides not to basically say "yeah, independent Quebec won't be an automatic best friend of the US," that's more than enough. Zhirinovsky could end up backfiring support for separatism, though.

The smallest butterfly could have the referendum go the other way, and give us an independent Quebec.

If Kerrey decides not to basically say "yeah, independent Quebec won't be an automatic best friend of the US," that's more than enough. Zhirinovsky could end up backfiring support for separatism, though.

Exactly. The referendum of 1995 was so close that the smallest thing could have changed the result. Zhirinovsky coming out in support of Quebec independence almost certainly would backfire on the PQ and the UIS...unless it were coupled with some other unexpected twist (Kerrey coming out too hard against Quebec independence perhaps?). I am still considering a few options, but I think there would be no question that even if the UIS sent money and support to the PQ and the PQ ends up winning the referendum, there is almost no chance Quebec would be an ally of the UIS or stray too far from American foreign policy.

Last edited:
Perhaps we might even witness Canada falling apart if Z-man is pushing his luck, although Lebed and Zavidiya will always be around to knock some sense into him.

Well, for the referendum we can all agree on one thing: Volodya's no de Gaulle. :p So in this case, with the UIS under sanctions and all that, even if the US were to come down hard on Québec independence having Volodya supporting Québécois independence would definitely backfire BIG time (you already have people in the RoQ* who believe that the PQ is run by Communists, so having the full weight of the UIS behind independence of Québec would only just confirm those suspicions even more). And if it turns out that the UIS had been funnelling money to the PQ, that would only raise a huge amount of suspicions, plus a Royal Commission (of inquiry, similar to what's being done in OTL with the Charbonneau commission looking into the extent of corruption by the construction industry in provincial politics), and the PQ getting massively trounced in the elections. So even if Kerrey blundered, in this case with the UIS interfering in the referendum, I basically see a no-win situation in the referendum. So no twists are needed. ;):p

*Rest of Québec; that is, Québec outside of Montréal.

Exactly. The referendum of 1995 was so close that the smallest thing could have changed the result. Zhirinovsky coming out in support of Quebec independence almost certainly would backfire on the PQ and the UIS...unless it were coupled with some other unexpected twist (Kerrey coming out too hard against Quebec independence perhaps?). I am still considering a few options, but I think there would be no question that even if the UIS sent money and support to the PQ and the PQ ends up winning the referendum, there is almost no chance Quebec would be an ally of the UIS or stray too far from American foreign policy.
Oh, I know. I meant to say that since Clinton subtly but strongly came out against Quebec independence, Kerrey being in the Oval Office alone can tip the scales, even if Zhirinovsky causes trouble.