Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire

Fantastic TL, just finished reading all of it.

Defintely among the gems.

Hands down. ;)

That said, I was interested how the UIS is doing economically.

Is the situation worse or better than OTL 90s? Also, how is Zhirinovsky coping with the economic backlash resulting from the Shock Treatment?

I guess his violent anti-NATO(western) rethoric keeps the populace somewhat distracted from the grave economic situation?

Thank you!

as for the economy, it'll be very bad (we know the UIS will get hit with hyperinflation), but much like Castro, Zhirinovsky has a scapegoat in western sanctions...

Plus we know he doesn't completly get rid of the free market (at least in Kazakhstan and Moldova) when it fits his needs, so although he is seen as not being responsible for Shock Therapy, he doesn't totally undo it either...

Interesting thought: With the UIS being such an apparent menace, neither Clinton nor Congress are likely to cut American military budgets in the 1990s.

What exactly would the US military be spending that extra money on? Won't that have an impact on the invasion of Afghanistan and so on?

Well, we see that the hawkish Democrat Bob Kerrey will become president. I agree, he probably won't cut the budget much, if at all, and this would change the makeup of the US military. But the Russians will have a different idea on how to fight the west in regards to the military build-up. They will be looking more at funding insurgent groups and sepratist movements as opposed to a quid pro quo with the US in regards ot the military.

A little hint, a future update (probably 32 or 33) is entitled "A Billion Kalashnikovs and One Nuke"

To add to this.

What is the status of conscription in the member nations of the NATO? I assume that with the NATO practically bordering -what has become- a Union of genocidal warmongers led by what many refer to as the "Russian Hitler" many European leaders will be reluctant and even opposed to abolishing conscription.

Again, very good point. I doubt conscription will go anywhere with Russia acting up in the short term. But the question is, for how long? Sooner or later the western nations will start to push back on the hardball tactics of the German and Americans. In fact, the Germans themselves may start pushing back before too long. Right now he looks like Hitler, but if nothing happens except hyperinflation and economic ruin over the next four or five years, would that pressure countries like France and Germany to back down? If it doesn't look like Zhirinovsky is going to invade, and he's not bombing nightclubs, would the west still be interested in conscription, even with Russian intervention in Yugoslavia and Estonia/Lativa?

I just read the last update. The absurdity of allowing troops to just march across the country into Yugoslavia without permission.

Hmm, that last update is certainly interesting. I wonder how long Funar is going to last in this case, considering what he was like in OTL when he was mayor of Cluj-Napoca.

I just read the last update. The absurdity of allowing troops to just march across the country into Yugoslavia without permission.

I can't imagine any scenario where the Romanians would allow troops to dross the border (keep in mind that in OTL they were proud that they sent the Russians out in 1958) but I think that an outright invasion (ie, Russia declares war on Romania) would trigger this fragile situation with NATO into a possible war. So the Russians try and do things under the table with the "nod of the head" from Iliescu (who never said no, you can't cross our country, and who doesn't initially deny giving permission to the Russians) to be a scenario where the Russians get from point A to point B. But in OTL the morale and leadership in the Russian military started taking a hit in the early 90s. Where you had well disciplined units like the 14th Army, you also had units with poor morale (hence the problems in Chechnya in 1994). Lebed and the military now can see clearly that the military will need a major overhaul and some leaders will need to be replaced. Troops will need to be properly paid (something that didn't happen in OTL) and given proper support from Moscow (again, something that didn't happen in OTL). For as much as the Romanian situation is a foul-up, it is not too far off from what happened in Chechnya in OTL. So here Lebed and the Generals get an eye opening review of their military readiness, without the disaster of Grozny that they had in OTL. Lebed will use this to shake things up in the UIS military, and Romania will discover that as long as they sit in between Yugoslavia and Russia, they are going to have major problems.

Hmm, that last update is certainly interesting. I wonder how long Funar is going to last in this case, considering what he was like in OTL when he was mayor of Cluj-Napoca.

Needless to say, his "Romania Mare" is going to clash with Zhirinovsky's view of the UIS. And we know from the prelude that Zhirinovsky is charged with war crimes in Romania. Most likely the UIS is going to look for a Romanian version of Ramzan Kadyrov, a pro-Moscow leader to replace him with.

Most likely at first. But the Chinese also do not want to see the UIS disintigrate, and don't like the NATO position that the UIS is not a country. Plus, they know that with the rest of the world putting sanctions on the UIS, that opens up a world of possibility in regards to trade and, more importantly, cheap oil. China might see having a monopoly on trade with the UIS as too good a deal to turn down...

Meh. The US can make a much better offer. Even if they couldn't, all the things that helped the Chinese stop worrying about the Russians are absent. The UIS is territorially the same as the USSR, so forget OTL's limited border and keep in mind that the state remains more plausibly threatening. And the Chinese will be out of their minds with the willy-nilly invasions the Russians are doing. Modern China is built on stability; the government values it above all else. Before they cut an economic (and by default, long-term) deal, they'll have to convince themselves that the arrangement won't come back to bite the elites.

That'd take some serious self-deception.

Side-note: I wonder if the population of Romania is actually surnamed on the order of 60% -escu, or if they just had an unusual election.

Meh. The US can make a much better offer. Even if they couldn't, all the things that helped the Chinese stop worrying about the Russians are absent. The UIS is territorially the same as the USSR, so forget OTL's limited border and keep in mind that the state remains more plausibly threatening. And the Chinese will be out of their minds with the willy-nilly invasions the Russians are doing. Modern China is built on stability; the government values it above all else. Before they cut an economic (and by default, long-term) deal, they'll have to convince themselves that the arrangement won't come back to bite the elites.

That'd take some serious self-deception.

Side-note: I wonder if the population of Romania is actually surnamed on the order of 60% -escu, or if they just had an unusual election.

True but as we will soon see, Russia will no longer try to match the USA or China tank for tank, or jet for jet, but will rather flood the world with AK's and small arms in support of separatist movements (anyone see where is is going with Romania and Funar?). Also, we see that Ukbekistan and Tajikistan are quasi-independent for much of the early part of the decade, and that they turn into virtual lawless states. This becomes a problem for China's own restive Muslim minority in the west. Turn on Russia and they could flood the western parts of China with arms and create a Chinese Vietnam. And if you oppose the UIS and it breaks up, the end result looks like a collection of lawless Turkic and muslim republics in central Asia. If the UIS can regain control of the Uzbekistan and Tajikistan, it helps China in the short run. Does this mean China sides with Russia? No. But it could create a lifeline to the Russians, if China is willing to open trade with the UIS (even if China opens up just enough to keep the country afloat as opposed to completely opening up to the Russians). Central Asia makes strange bedfellows, so we will see where things go with China and Russia.

That's actually a common suffix, cognate to some degree with Spanish/Portuguese -ez and a few others in the Romance-speaking world. IIRC, it basically means "son of" - so Emil Constantinescu is "Emile, son of Constantine" and Ion Iliescu is "John, son of Elijah", for example.

Again, very good point. I doubt conscription will go anywhere with Russia acting up in the short term. But the question is, for how long? Sooner or later the western nations will start to push back on the hardball tactics of the German and Americans. In fact, the Germans themselves may start pushing back before too long. Right now he looks like Hitler, but if nothing happens except hyperinflation and economic ruin over the next four or five years, would that pressure countries like France and Germany to back down? If it doesn't look like Zhirinovsky is going to invade, and he's not bombing nightclubs, would the west still be interested in conscription, even with Russian intervention in Yugoslavia and Estonia/Lativa?

Remember, most countries in Europa did not abolish conscription until the late 90s and even the 00s in OTL.

With the UIS being the new nemesis of the west I too don't see conscription going anywhere, at least not in countries bordering the UIS or major powers such as France, Germany and the UK.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if all NATO countries still had conscription in place even into the late 00s.

Or at least not until Zhirinovsky has been ousted and things "cool down" a bit with Lebed in charge(Although I read that apparently he in many ways is as bad as Zhirinovsky).

Also, with more resources devoted to the military and less international trade will we see a less prosperous Europe in this TTL than in OTL?

Hmmmm...aiding separatist groups... Would that include on Corsica? Basques? Corishmen? Scots? Welsh? Lakota? Republic of Texas? Neo-Confederates? Alaskans?

Hmmmm...aiding separatist groups... Would that include on Corsica? Basques? Corishmen? Scots? Welsh? Lakota? Republic of Texas? Neo-Confederates? Alaskans?

I can guarantee that we won’t see a Texas or Lakota or Alaska funded separatist movement. But if we go back to the prelude we get some early hints on the how the UIS will operate:

- We know that a separatist breakaway Tajik Republic of Northern Afghanistan emerges and gains international recognition.

- We know that the Uzbek Republic of Northern Afghanistan exists, although it is in bad shape in 2012 and is not recognized by any other country.

- We know that in 2012 Pakistan is in the middle of a civil war.

In more recent posts we also get some clues:

- We also see that the Separatist Serb Republic in Croatia is now being supported by Moscow.

- Clearly Bosnia is next.

- And now we have a foul up in Romania where either a pro-NATO western capitalist or a radical anti-Russian nationalist will emerge as the next president. Clearly Romania is about to close the border with the UIS, a move that could strangle the Serbs and the Russians in Croatia. But what about Romania’s restive minorities in the western portions of the country? What if they were to create a breakaway republic with strong ties to Moscow? And what if this breakaway republic captured so much territory that it now shared a border with the UIS? And what if the status of this breakaway republic creates tension inside of NATO with its newest member? Don’t want to give away too much here, but if Funar is elected (and it appears he will be), he is coming into the presidency with serious baggage with the Hungarians. That could create just the wedge between NATO nations that Zhirinovsky is looking for. Remember what Gorbachev said in the prelude? Zhirinovsky is a master at creating ethnic strife.

Also, with more resources devoted to the military and less international trade will we see a less prosperous Europe in this TTL than in OTL?

Most likely Europe will prosper, but not as much as it did in OTL. I am not sure what the UIS would do to the prospects of the EU in Europe (and I am open to any ideas on this), but I do plan to do some research soon in regards to the EU and how the UIS can or would co-exist with it...

Nebogipfel

Monthly Donor
Most likely Europe will prosper, but not as much as it did in OTL. I am not sure what the UIS would do to the prospects of the EU in Europe (and I am open to any ideas on this), but I do plan to do some research soon in regards to the EU and how the UIS can or would co-exist with it...

I assume that a stronger NATO would mean a more integrated EU too. It also depends how hostile the UIS is regarded in the following years - do the Europeans see it as a direct danger (like invasion etc) as the ols Soviet Union/WP ? That would have vast butterfly effects ... lots of money spent on defense, no peace dividend.

I would expect European intergration to speed up in the face of a terrible adversary rising from the east.

Such a situation warrants closer cooperation between member states, and not just militarily.

Also, in regards to the sponsoring of seperatist movements, will Zhirinovsky be on par with the likes of Gadaffi and Saddam or (as is more likely) will he manage to surpass even those figures in his boldness in regards to the supporting of terrorist and rebel organisations?

And lastly, will the Armenian movement(s) for the recognistion of the Armenian genocide suffer a (major) diplomatic backlash after the events that took place during the "police action" in Azerbejian?

I assume that a stronger NATO would mean a more integrated EU too. It also depends how hostile the UIS is regarded in the following years - do the Europeans see it as a direct danger (like invasion etc) as the ols Soviet Union/WP ? That would have vast butterfly effects ... lots of money spent on defense, no peace dividend.

Pellegrino has already hinted that Zhirinovsky will probably turn out to be even more bold than even Gadaffi, Castro and Sadam when it comes to supporting international terrorist and "independence" movements.

The UIS is slowly turning into a pariah state(if it hasn't turned into one already).

Now, as to how the Europeans will react... I think one just has to take a look at how South Korea deals with its nothern neighbour to get an idea at how the EU(And the NATO) will probably deal with (and view) the UIS...

PART THIRTY TWO: THE QUASI-JUNTA
PART THIRTY TWO: THE QUASI-JUNTA

UIS Presidential Candidate Vladimir Putin in an interview with the BBC on August 1, 2011.

Discussing the shakeup of the UIS military in 1992 after the Romanian intervention.

BBC: You indicated that Zhirinovsky had no role in the emergence of what most historians now call the “Quasi-Junta” in October of 1992. Where much of the military leadership was purged while others were recruited into a “16-man Committee for State Security and Defense” that almost acted independently of Moscow in regards to the war effort in the former Yugoslavia.

Putin: Correct. General Lebed organized it.

BBC: So why did Lebed attack the institution that was crucial to his power base? Didn’t the purges threaten to alienate his most valuable ally?

Putin: First of all, I hardly consider them purges. Those generals didn’t end up in gulags. They weren’t tried for treason and shot. They were just reassigned to desk jobs or given private sector jobs. Even General Dubynin was going to be given a lucrative private sector job before he committed suicide.

BBC: But those generals who were removed must have opposed the reassignments.

Putin: Some of them did, sure. But by and large the military recognized that the cronyism and corruption that had infected the UIS military had to be removed. And after the removal of General Dubynin the previous month after his role in the Moscow Airlift, there was a problem with leadership. He was the head of the armed forces, but without him you had an emerging power struggle. Dozens of generals now acted independently of each other, and some were openly vying to emerge, like General Lebed and General Ivanenko, as major power brokers. But once the “Quasi-Junta” emerged, there no longer was a question of whose orders to follow. If the UIS told you one thing and the Russian republic gave you a conflicting order, you deferred to the "Junta” and followed their orders.

BBC: How did General Lebed recognize that there was a problem?

Putin: Romania. That was beyond a disaster.

Excerpts from the book “The Soviets and the Serbs: Vladimir Zhirinovsky and the conquest of Yugoslavia

By Edward Ellis.
Published by Random House © 2004

Moscow, UIS, September 29, 1992:

As soon as UIS Marshal Alexander Lebed discovered how disastrous the Romanian situation had become he became outraged. Although he was angry at UIS President Anatoly Lukyanov for ordering troops to cross into Romania so quickly, most of his anger was directed towards Northern Group of Forces commander Leonid Kovalyov. General Kovalyov had struggled to maintain morale with his troops stationed in Poland, even after Polish admission into NATO. But his failure to withdraw troops in a timely fashion led to an embarrassing withdrawal that had been broadcast on international television, and his failure to mobilize his troops properly for the entry into Romania infuriated Lebed.

Still, many felt that General Kovalyov was burdened with what most felt was an almost impossible task. After the arrest the previous month of the former Northern Group of Forces commander Viktor Dubynin, many of the troops stationed in Poland were in a near rebellion. General Dubynin was a firm leader, but widely popular with the troops, and his arrest resulted in a noticeable decline in morale.

“As soon as he was arrested, at least 1,000 troops just abandoned their post,” commented a corporal stationed in Poland at the time of the withdrawal, “and others just started to drink and create discord.”

The lack of a clear chain of command also complicated matters. With the vacancy of the position of Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the UIS (after General Dubynin’s arrest) it became unclear where central command originated. Conflicting orders often came from the federal government and the Russian President. Further complicating the issue was the clear power struggle inside of the military for an appointment to General Dubynin’s vacant position.

“We had a situation where commanders were trying to align themselves with either Lukyanov or Zhirinovsky,” commented an officer who worked in Moscow at the time, “but both tended to defer to General Lebed on matters of military.”

It was this attempt to align with a power broker that led to the poor performance of the Russian military in Romania. Apparently unwilling to admit that his grip on the Northern Group of Forces was perilously weak, and also unwilling to admit that his troops simply were unable to fully mobilize with such short notice, General Kovalyov elected to hide the truth from President Lukyanov.

“The plan was for the UIS troops to enter Romania no later than 2AM on September 27th;” commented a unit commander who was part of the mobilization,” the hope was that they would be out of Romania no later than 7 AM, before most people woke up.”

However, poor communication and preparation led to troops entering Romania in sporadic fashion. As late as 11 AM UIS troops were still crossing the border from all over the country, most with little more than a general command to “get to Belgrade as soon as possible.” Troops became scattered all over Romania over the course of the day, with the effect of electrifying Romanians as they headed to the polls.

“One tank even ended up in downtown Bucharest,” added the soldier involved in the mobilization, “it really was a complete mess.”

But more than the embarrassment of the situation, it also deeply frightened Marshal Lebed. Recognizing that with units stumbling into Romania in small groups, the Marshal saw that had the Romanians elected to resist the UIS troops, it could have lead to a humiliating defeat. He decided to send the controversial UIS 14th Army into Romania in an attempt to pacify the region and rally the UIS units scattered across the country.

“He took a gamble.” commented one officer, “The 14th Army could have brought the Romanians out in full force. But if it turned into a fight, they were the unit best equipped to handle the situation.”

UIS President Lukyanov also found his plans thwarted by the disastrous intervention. His original plan was to publically apologize as soon as the last unit entered Yugoslavia, and humbly beg President Iliescu for forgiveness over “the misunderstanding”, hoping that would pacify the situation before it erupted. However, realizing that his troops were still entering Romania as late as noon, he was forced to switch gears and claim he had “permission”. Although President Iliescu initially remained silent on the matter, by early afternoon, as opposition candidate Gheorghe Funar was calling on Romanians to put up barricades to block Russian troops from passing through the country, Iliescu relented and confirmed that the UIS troops were in fact there without authorization. The statement electrified the international community, and badly embarrassed the UIS President, who prior to the fiasco was still admired by some in the west for his role in perestroika and glasnost.

As the final unit entered Yugoslavia, General Lebed fired General Kovalyov and turned over general command of all units located in Yugoslavia to General G. I. Yakovlev of the 14th Army. It was this decision that would become the foundation of what Russian would soon refer to as “the quasi-junta”.

Excerpts from the book: “Croatia: The Nation That Almost Was”

By Steven Martinovic
Published by University of California Press, © 2009.

Chapter Four: The Battle of Knin

Moscow soon became worried over the Croatian advances into the UN Protected Areas (or what the UIS regarded as the Republic of Serbian Krajina), and issued a strongly worded condemnation of the assault. The threatening message from Moscow badly worried the UN, which now was faced with the unenviable task of trying to rein in the surging Croatian military.

“We learned a hard lesson in September of 1992,” commented UN observer Phil Macklin, “a lesson that history has repeated time and time again. You can’t control people in the Balkans when there get their blood boiling. The Croatians were disregarding us and trying desperately to crush the Serbs.”

Just weeks ago the Croatian army was desperately trying to rid the Serbs from what they referred to as “pink zones”, Serbian-occupied areas outside of the UN Protected Areas.

But the lack of supplies from Belgrade, coupled with NATO support, turned the tide of the battle for the Croatians almost overnight. Badly routed Serb units began to flee to the capital city of Knin as the Croatians entered the UN Protected Areas and launched a major offensive on the Serb defensive positions in Knin.

“The Croatians knew that if Knin fell, the war would likely be all but over,” added Macklin, “the problem was we were not sure if it would lead to World War III. Although the Croats were willing to take that chance, we obviously were not.”

However, the battle of Knin, which began as Croatian troops surrounded the capital city on September 29th, began to turn as UIS troops began to cross the border of Romania into Yugoslavia. The UIS troops initially arrived in the eastern enclave of Vukovar. Removed from the rest of the Serbian Republic of the Krajina, the initial Croatian belief was that the UIS troops would not be able to reinforce the troops in Knin without a full fledged invasion of Croatia itself. Although the presence of UIS troops worried Croatian President Franjo Tudjman, he believed that the 33,000 UIS troops would be unable to cross Croatia and capture Zagreb even if they wanted to lift the siege of Knin.

“I think he badly underestimated the disregard the Russians had shown for international borders up to that point,” added Macklin, “I mean, all he had to do was look at what happened in Romania.”

Oddly enough, many historians believe it was the intervention in Romania that gave President Tudjman a sense of false hope.

“He knew that if the Russians came stumbling into Croatia like they did in Romania that it would be a bloodbath for the Russians,” commented Croatian General Anton Tus, “we were not going to let them clumsily waltz into our country like the Romanians did. We were ready to fight them off.”

General Tus recounted the controversial order than many felt cost the Croatians the war in October of 1992. Realizing that the Russians were in Vukovar, President Tudjman decided not to fortify the front lines in the east near Vukovar. He believed that if the Russians invaded, they would have ample warning, and decided to try and destroy the resistance in Knin before the Russians would be fully mobilized. The decision proved disastrous for the Croatians.

“For one thing, the UN had now cut off the Croatian army’s supply line,” commented Macklin, “the Croatians were surprised at this move. They saw it as a betrayal. But we were ordered to keep peace, and prevent World War III.”

But it was more than just the fractured supply lines that created havoc for the Croatians. Serbian president Slobodan Milosevic was desperate to regain the nationalist high ground in Belgrade and suddenly switched gears, restoring aid to the breakaway Serb Republic.

“Milosevic might not have liked how the Russians usurped him with Babic,” commented Borislav Milic, “but there was no way he was going to let Knin fall. Especially considering it would have been blamed on his ego if it did fall.”

As the Croatians entered the outskirts of Knin, their badly fractured supply line finally broke as the Serbs regained the upper hand. By October 1st the Serbs began an offensive that began to drive the Croats out of the city and, by the following week, out of the breakaway republic. Still, most observers believe that total capitulation might have been avoided had it not been for what President Tudjman once famously called “the Bear looking in the kitchen window”. On October 2nd, as Serbian troops began their march to the Adriatic Sea, Serbian troops in Bosnia launched a coordinated assault on the Croatian border city of Slavonski Brod. Although Croatian troops bravely attempted to repel the Bosnian Serb invasion and repel the Serbian offensive on Biograd na Moru, the badly overextended Croatian military was finally broken on October 7th. On that day, UIS troops under the command of General Gennady Yakovlev crossed into Croatia and destroyed all remnants of the Croatian Armed forces.

zchinvali071.jpg

UIS troops cross into Croatia on October 7, 1992

Croatia “overrun” by Russian troops as full-scaled invasion begins

By Vincent J. Shanks
Chicago Tribune
October 10, 1992

7247.jpg

UIS troops with captured Croatian troops in Osijek, Croatia

(ZAGREB, CROATIA) Croatian officials tonight claimed the country had been “overrun” by Russian troops after a full-scale ground invasion. Croatian president Franjo Tudjman indicated that the eastern city of Osijek was captured by UIS forces while Serbian militias from Bosnia have seized the border town of Slavonski Brod. Reports from eastern Croatia remain unreliable, but most eyewitness reports indicate that the Croatian military has been “thoroughly routed” and are in full retreat.

“At this point it doesn’t look like there is anything standing between the Russians and Zagreb,” commented American ambassador Mara M. Letica, “but we are not sure of what the situation is in the east right now.”

In the central portion of the country Serb troops from the breakaway republic were closing in on the strategically vital costal city of Biograd na Moru. The capture of Biograd na Moru would give the Serbian republic a valuable port to the Adriatic Sea while also splitting the Croatian republic in two. Croatians in the southern city of Dubrovnik are preparing for another siege of the city as Serbian troops in Bosnia crossed into Croatian territory and have taken positions in the mountains surrounding the city.

American President George Bush interrupted his preparations for tomorrow’s Presidential debate to condemn the Russian and Serbian offensive.

“The Russian military continues to escalate the situation in Croatia,” said President Bush in a press conference, “but we want to be abundantly clear to Russian President Vladimir Zhirinovsky: the world will not continue to tolerate these acts of aggression.”

However, for many Croatians the time for words from NATO and the United States has passed.

“They castrated our military in Knin, and now they sit by and do nothing while the Russians lay siege on our country,” commented refugee Anton Martinovic, “NATO is worthless, and so is George Bush. If they didn’t plan to help us, at least they should have told us from the beginning so we wouldn’t rely on their worthless promises.”

TRANSCRIPT FROM THE FIRST UNITED STATES PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE (OCTOBER 11, 1992)

debate92.jpg

JIM LEHRER: Mr. Perot, you have come out in criticism of President Bush’s handling of the crisis in Croatia. Would you care to elaborate?

PEROT: Yes. Look at what’s going on over there. The Russians threaten us and we go running out of the country. Then they go and invade Croatia and all this President is doing is telling him to stop ‘or else’. Well, as far as I’m concern, ‘or else’ crossed the cattle guard about a month ago when all those refugees were killed in the French embassy. That’s the point when I would have said, ‘OK partner, that was a line in the sand, and you just stepped over it’.

JIM LEHRER: Any comment Governor Kerrey?

KERREY: If President Bush had no intention of helping the Croatians, he should have told them so from the start. But to lie to them, just like he lied to the Shiites and Kurds in Iraq, is beyond reprehensible. If the world community cannot believe the word of the American President when he promises not to abandon our friends, then this country loses a great deal of prestige. And the actions of President Bush have caused more harm to the prestige of this country than any President since Richard Nixon.

JIM LEHRER: President Bush, you have one minute for a rebuttal.

BUSH: I resent that accusation that I have abandoned our friends in Croatia. Right now this administration has gotten the UN to authorize one of the most crippling rounds of sanctions in world history, and nearly every country has signed on with these sanctions. The Indians, once close allies to the Russians, have severed economic ties to Russia. The Chinese have agreed to cut all trade to Russia. Even the Iranians have agreed to sanctions. The Russian nation will not be able to continue this aggressive policy of intervention for long as long as we remain diligent and maintain the economic pressure that will force them to abandon their occupation of Croatia. In fact, Russia has already shown that it already is stretched too thin. They cannot turn their nose to the international community and think they can get away with it-

PEROT: Mr. President, I don’t know if you have been keeping up with the news, but those Russians are turning their nose to the international community right now. And thanks to you they are getting away with it.

“Romania after Ceaușescu” (Routledge Series on Russian and East European Studies)

by Robert Solomon
Routledge Press, (2003)

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: THE ZHIRINOVSKY FACTOR

As Romanians took to the polls on October 11th to vote in the Presidential runoff election, UIS president Anatoly Lukyanov knew that regardless of who won the election, relations with Romania would sour quickly. Romanian Democratic Convention candidate Emil Constantinescu was eager to implement major free market reforms and see to it that Romania would join NATO, perhaps as early as December. The prospect of such a thing deeply troubled Lukyanov, who recognized that a NATO presence in Romania could devastate the UIS war effort in Croatia. However, his opponent, radical nationalist Gheorghe Funar of the Romanian National Unity Party, had made no secret of his desire to see Moldova “ripped away from the clutches of the Russian occupiers” and had made no secret of his plan to support secessionist groups that had already begun to form in Moldova. Neither scenario particularly appealed to the UIS president, but it was Russian president Vladimir Zhirinovsky who helped the UIS president make the decision that would decide the fate of the election and give Funar the unlikely victory.

Zhirinovsky recognized that Funar was deeply disliked with the Hungarian minority, and believed that as long as Funar was president the Hungarians would oppose NATO membership for Romania. It was enough to convince Lukyanov to support Zhirinovsky’s bizarre plan to help elect Funar president of Romania. Hours after the still unpopular Ion Iliescu announced his support for Emil Constantinescu; Russian media outlets released a controversial press release from Russian President Vladimir Zhirinovsky:

“I hereby announce my support for the candidacy of Emil Constantinescu and call on the Romanian people to vote for Constantinescu. Mr. Constantinescu has entered into a preliminary agreement with the UIS government to permanently allow UIS troops free access through their country, and we look forward to seeing this agreement implemented after October 11th.”

Constantinescu was defeated by less that 5,000 votes after the final votes were tallied.

Last edited: