Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire

This timeline is so good, i want to ask someone to create a page on TV Tropes. This timeline is one of those special ones, like A Age of Miracles, Isaac's Empire and Kalter Krieg that deserves its own page.

That would be a HUGE honor. I've actually considered putting this TL together and throwing on Kindle. I must admit, when I started this TL, I wasn't sure if I would fall on my face with it since I knew that the quality on this page was so high. Glad it is up to par! :)

Excellent update.

Can you do an update soon specifically dealing with the KGB's role in disappearances and shootings, please?

I do plan on doing that pretty quick. Just a summary, the next post should be mostly about the transition from UDR to UIS and we will get some update on the KGB and Putin in that post. Post 27 will talk about NATO expansion and the UIS' response in re Romania and Yugoslavia. And I think post 28 will talk about the KGB and the general fear in the country for the liberals.

Well, then, another fine update. It'll be interesting to see the transition, that's for sure. Too bad about the victims in TTL, though. :(

PART TWENTY SEVEN: THE TULA ACCORDS
PART TWENTY SEVEN: THE TULA ACCORDS

Going out with a whimper: 20 years after the fall of the UDR

July 29, 2012

By Timothy Welch
Foreign Affairs

For most of us who had just witnessed the Russian version of Kristallnacht over the course of four days in mid-July, the end actually was somewhat uneventful. An emergency session of the Soviet Parliament called by Chairman of the Soviet Parliament, Anatoly Lukyanov, ended in thirty minutes. There was no shouting, no screams, and no violence. It almost resembled a classroom during a final exam, with whispers and the constant sound of paper shuffling. And in that subdued environment the UDR Parliament voted nearly unanimously to recognize the validity of the UIS treaty before voting to dissolve the Union. The only issue of contention would be whether to keep the tri-colored flag of the UDR, with some representatives from Georgia indicating a preference of abandoning the UDR flag for a new UIS flag. Immediately following the vote UDR President Viktor Alksnis pleaded with lawmakers to give the UDR “one more chance,” but his pleas fell on deaf ears. Covered in bandages and still bruised from a beating he received from a mob the week before, few took him seriously anymore. And with Latvia in the midst of a violent civil war that would kill thousands of Russians and Latvians, Mr. Alksnis’ Latvian ethnicity no longer was a benefit to him. UDR Prime Minister Yuri Luzhkov didn’t even show up, remaining in hiding while negotiating a return to his position with other liberals who survived being purged such as Russian Secretary of State and newly appointed Russian Prime Minister Gennady Burbulis. The liberal Chairman of the Supreme Soviet of the Union, Arkadi Volsky, resigned after the military refused to rein in the violence. Dozens of other liberal lawmakers had fled the country and followed the lead of Russian Prime Minister Ivan Silayev and taken refuge in western embassies all over Moscow. Oddly enough, the conservatives didn’t fair much better during the riots. Alksnis was the most obvious example. Conservative UDR Vice President Vladimir Ivashko, a former Gorbachev ally whose loyalties came into question during the 1991 failed coup, was killed in his dacha when a mob broke in and shot him in front of his family. Russian troops stood by and watched. The big winner appeared to be Chairman of the Soviet Parliament Anatoly Lukyanov, who was named acting President of the new UIS. However, any questions as to who really was in control were quickly quashed when he proclaimed loyalty to the Liberal Democratic Party of Russia and that he would make no decisions without approval from the “Party”.

In hindsight perhaps the end of the UDR was inevitable. It was a patchwork union put together to hold together the pieces of the USSR, while giving it a democratic feel. But it never was a truly democratic Union, like some revisionists want to believe. It never held an election and its president was an unapologetic communist who was seeking to emerge as a dictator. It is odd that the west looks at the UDR longingly, like the provisional Russian Republic of 1917. Bemoaning its end and wondering what the world would look like if it could only survive. It says more about the UIS today than the UDR twenty years ago that the world actually thinks it would be better off if it had survived.

Excerpts from the book: “The Short Life and Violent Death of the UDR”

By Sampson Weiss.
Published by University of California Press, © 2005.

CHAPTER XIII

With the disillusion of the UDR, Russian President Vladimir Zhirinovsky was determined not to let the end of the union lead to international recognition of the independence of any of the other Republics. He preemptively called the presidents of Ukraine, Georgia, Byelorussia, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, as well as the military governor of the occupied Republic of Azerbaijan and three delegates from the government of Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Tajikistan in exile to the city of Tula. There they toured Yasnaya Polyana, the former home and country estate of Leo Tolstoy, while the federal government voted itself out of existence and voted the UIS into power. The environment in Tula was in stark contrast to Moscow, with little rioting and almost no deaths in the previous weeks. As soon as the call came in that the UDR was “no more,” Zhirinovsky immediately summoned his fellow presidents to the courtyard, where the press had been assembled. Awaiting them was a table with documents that would make up the “Tula Accords”. In it, each President agreed in principle that, although each Republic was autonomous, that all matters of foreign policy would be determined only by the federal government and that none of the signatories would seek formal independence or membership in the United Nations.

“It really was an ambush,” commented one Armenian delegate years later, “we had no opportunity to discuss the issue, and we were trapped deep in Zhirinovsky’s Russia. If we didn’t sign we knew we would never make it out of Moscow.”

The leaders, whether intimidated or not, all agreed to the terms of the Tula Accords and signed. However, several leaders believed that the new UIS federal structure would favor their republics.

“Keep in mind that the UIS cut bureaucracy in half.” commented a Ukrainian delegate, “In the USSR and UDR you had a federal government with a Parliament made up of two houses and a Russian Parliament made up of two houses and a Ukrainian Parliament made up of two houses. By the time you got to every republic you were dealing with thousands of politicians and nothing was getting done. But in the UIS you only had the parliament of the republics, and the federal parliament had to be made up of elected officials selected by the presidents from their own parliaments. It cut down on quite a bit of bureaucracy.”

Still, many worried that the system was tailor-made to allow Russian President Vladimir Zhirinovsky to stack a UIS Federal Duma full of politicians of his choosing. Tragically, those fears proved valid when Vladimir Zhirinovsky selected Liberal Democratic Party loyalists to fill almost all of the seats allotted to the Russian Republic, effectively giving Vladimir Zhirinovsky total control of not only the Russian government but also of the federal government.

CNN interview with James Baker, former Secretary of State under President George H.W. Bush

July 13, 1997

CNN: What did President Bush think about the dissolution of the UDR and the formation of the UIS on July 29, 1992?

Baker: He saw it for what it was: a blatant attempt to usurp power and to turn the former Soviet Union into a dictatorship.

CNN: But on paper wasn’t the UIS more liberal and more democratically oriented than the UDR?

Baker: On paper, yes. But we saw the reality was something else.

CNN: President Bush said in an interview that watching the July riots and the subsequent emergence of the UIS was the most troubling time of his presidency. It has been said that the riots and the subsequent end of any hope for democracy in the UDR actually might have sent him into a deep depression that he never fully shook off during the election. That this depression was to blame for his lethargic debates and the seemingly detached aura he gave off while campaigning.

Baker: I think the President said it best: it was the most troubling time of his presidency.

CNN: Was he depressed?

Baker: I won’t say he was depressed, but it was difficult for him. Especially when we turned on the news and saw Mikhail and Raisa Gorbachev at the American embassy holding two small suitcases and looking like a couple of refugees from World War II. It was shocking. A year ago he was the most important man in the country, now here he was: frightened and disheveled, holding his wife’s hand and trying to comfort her while she slowly sobbed. The thing that really shocked us was when they showed Gorbachev sitting on the floor eating ramen noodles. He didn’t even cook them; he just ate the ramen noodle dry, out of the package. How bad had things gotten in Russia that the former Premier was now sitting on the floor of the American embassy eating an uncooked package of ramen noodles?

MSNBC interview with Robert Strauss, American ambassador to the UDR and UIS

December 10, 2001

MSNBC: Mr. Strauss, thank you so much for joining us here today.

Strauss: Thank you for having me.

MSNBC: You’ve been a vocal critic of President Zhirinovsky over the years, and have recently criticized the policies of a close family friend of yours: President George W. Bush.

Strauss: Yes. I respect President Bush and his father tremendously. But I think his position on the UIS is too lenient.

MSNBC: But some argue that Zhirinovsky has shown that he has turned over a new leaf. He is a valuable ally in the war on terror. And with Pakistan’s refusal to allow the United States the use of its airspace, wasn’t Mr. Zhirinovsky’s offer of the use of military bases in Tajikistan and Uzbekistan a sign that he is eager to now work with the United States? Isn’t it a sign that after a decade of sanctions and international isolation that he wants to change the direction of American-Russian relations?

Strauss: I don’t know what it means, and I don’t know why he allowed American troops to be stationed inside the borders of the UIS. Knowing Vladimir Zhirinovsky it is probably because a little green talking alien that only he can hear told him it was a good idea. And that’s fine and dandy, but sooner or later that little invisible alien is going to tell him to kill a lot of innocent people.

MSNBC: So you are saying that the President should have rejected his offer?

Strauss (long pause): I don’t envy the position President Bush was thrust into. Without Pakistan’s support we had only two options for going into Afghanistan and getting Osama Bin Laden: Iran or the UIS. I am sure that it seems like the lesser of two evils, but I remember those dark days in 1992. I remember when fearful Russians began flooding into our embassy fleeing the Zhirinovsky thugs. I remember hearing the gunshots all night long, and the screams from the street. And I remember the first time I saw those Russian fascists chanting outside our windows. Zhirinovsky may try and spin it today and say that those were Pamyat supporters and not Zhirinovsky supporters. But I was there. I saw what was going on. Make no mistake about it, that man is Hitler. And nothing good can come from doing business with him.

MSNBC: During the ’92 Moscow riots the United States embassy was under virtual siege for twelve days. At anytime did you think that they would overrun the embassy? Were you ever frightened?

Strauss: I was frightened every day. The first few days they would climb the walls and just throw animal feces at us. Then it was human feces. Then they started throwing Molotov cocktails at us. Then they started spraying the side of the embassy with small arms fire. Then they started sniping at us. Two Americans were killed, as well as sixteen Russians who tried to seek asylum at the embassy. Every day I kept wondering if the rioters would overrun us. Every day I would pray that God would spare us. And the whole time I would see Russian military vehicles drive by and ignore us. There was no doubt in my mind: the military and the police were in on it. All over Moscow you had pure lawlessness, and it wasn’t that the military seemed powerless to stop it. They seemed unwilling to stop it.

MSNBC: Did the announcement that the UDR was being dissolved give you any comfort?

Strauss: At first it did. There were over a thousand Russians who had sought asylum crowded in the embassy complex. Many of them were politicians, and the funny thing is they were both liberals and hard line communists. I saw Vasily Starodubtsev, one of the leaders of the failed hard line coup, in the embassy. It was strange, because much of Moscow was just anarchy, but around our embassy and the German embassy, the fascists had actually formed something that resembled an organized presence. You could walk down any street in Moscow and it would just look like looting and lawlessness. But if you stood outside the German embassy or the American embassy, it looked like a Hitler Youth rally.

MSNBC: Why were the communists also fleeing the country?

Strauss: It really didn’t matter what your politics were: everyone in Russia suddenly knew that it wasn’t safe anymore. The Russian people knew what mass insanity was coming their way, they lived through it once before. Stalin killed just as many communists as capitalists. So they started fleeing. My biggest fear was over the fact that we had so many members of the government seeking refuge in the embassy.

Last edited:
Well, then, another fine update. It'll be interesting to see the transition, that's for sure. Too bad about the victims in TTL, though. :(

Thanks again! But I hate to say, things in this TL will not get much better for anyone for at least awhile. The crazy thing is this is really turning into an ever more depressing world than even I envisioned when I started...:(

All Hail Zhirinovsky? I like the update, though I kinda feel sorry for Gorbachev, who's reduced to eating instant ramen.

As do I, in this TL he really becomes a tragic figure. Although he is better off than so many others (like Yeltsin or the thousands of Azeris and Estonians), I find him to be the person I feel the worst for in so many ways.

All Hail Zhirinovsky? I like the update, though I kinda feel sorry for Gorbachev, who's reduced to eating instant ramen.

A man who is the Russian poster boy for the tropes; Epic Fail, The-Great-Politics-Mess-Up & Nice-Job-Breaking-It-Hero. Is lucky not to be eating lead.

I'm actually shocked that Gorbachev and the Yeltsinite figures, didn't suffer this sort of backlash OTL. Their screw ups or in the latter case outright avaricious villainy, effectively killed millions of people and ruined the lives of tens of millions more.

A man who is the Russian poster boy for the tropes; Epic Fail, The-Great-Politics-Mess-Up & Nice-Job-Breaking-It-Hero. Is lucky not to be eating lead.

I'm actually shocked that Gorbachev and the Yeltsinite figures, didn't suffer this sort of backlash OTL. Their screw ups or in the latter case outright avaricious villainy, effectively killed millions of people and ruined the lives of tens of millions more.

I am working on an update as we speak, and you will be interested to know that this issue will be discussed (in particular the 2003 revolution)

PART TWENTY EIGHT: THE POLISH EMBASSY CRISIS
PART TWENTY EIGHT: THE POLISH EMBASSY CRISIS

I am going to start off by apologizing to Tongera, but as always I like to try and tie in recent news events into this timeline whenever possible, and right now I have a lot in the news that is influencing my direction of this TL. Originally we were going to see what is going on in Yugoslavia in this post, but I felt that this newest development with the embassy protest all over the world would tie in very well with the TL and so I postponed my original plan and added this update. Also, for all of you who were thinking I was a hardcore George Bush-hating Democrat, I threw you a curveball as George Bush gets some love in this TL. He receives a short lived boost with American voters with his response to a Russian mob threatening the American embassy. But like so many things in diplomacy, it is the unintended consequences that always come back to bite you. Tragically, his strong response, though popular in the United States, irritates America’s allies when it is followed by the Polish Embassy Crisis.

UIS Presidential Candidate Vladimir Putin in an interview with the BBC on August 1, 2011.

Discussing his controversial statement that the July Riots were orchestrated by UIS President Alexander Lebed

BBC: You recently made the controversial claim than Vladimir Zhirinovsky did not in fact orchestrate the July riots in Moscow back in 1992, that in fact they were orchestrated by General Alexander Lebed.

Putin: Yes.

BBC: Let me give you this opportunity to address that statement. An opportunity to set the record straight once and for all-

Putin: I stand by my position. All you need to look at is the end result. Why was Gennady Burbulis, a staunch supporter of Ivan Silayev, promoted, and Vladimir Ivashko, a staunch conservative who opposed “shock therapy”, executed? Because it was never about shock therapy! Burbulis supported General Lebed when he declared martial law and Ivashko opposed it! That was why there was no rhyme or reason to those who were targeted. If you challenged Lebed you were arrested or killed, if you didn’t you were left alone. He created a military dictatorship in the UIS and put Vladimir Zhirinovsky at the head of it so that they could have a bad guy to blame all of his war crimes on after he crushed all of the other republics!

BBC: But that statement calls into question everything we know about Vladimir Zhirinovsky. Are you saying that the numerous violent protests at various Western embassies were all organized by the Lebed?

Putin: Yes. Nothing distracts the world from a purge more than a group of nazis screaming “Kill the Jews!” Hundreds of politicians who opposed his promotion to Marshal of the UIS or who called for major cuts to the military were arrested, beaten, or even killed. Thousands more were forced out of the country. And yet the world seemed to ignore this! Why? Because they couldn’t get enough of Lebed’s paid actors acting like fools outside the US embassy. Almost all of the embassy protests were organized by General Lebed.

BBC: Almost all?

Putin: Yes. The incident at the Polish embassy was all Zhirinovsky’s idea.

MSNBC interview with Robert Strauss, American ambassador to the UDR and UIS

December 10, 2001

MSNBC: Mr. Strauss, who ordered the Marines to fire live ammunition into the protesters in Moscow?

Strauss: First of all, the moment they jumped over the embassy gate and bum rushed us with AK-47’s they stopped being protesters and became invaders. Second of all, the American response was hardly excessive considering it was estimated that over five hundred Russian invaders had just violated U.S. territory and we successfully repelled them in only twenty seconds with only six fatalities on their side.

MSNBC: But wasn’t the end result one in which the Russian government became even more volatile and belligerent?

Strauss: I am sure kicking Hitler’s ass all across Normandy really pissed him off too.

MSNBC: But you were widely criticized by the Polish government for your statement right after the incident when you said: “if you invade America and don’t expect to get shot then you’re an idiot.” Do you regret that statement?

Strauss (long pause): Yes I do. I had not slept in over four days. I was on edge. We all were. When I saw the Marines had repelled the threat my emotions were all over the place and I just forgot that there was an AP reporter standing right next to me. I honestly didn’t expect that reporter to send that quote across the wire and send it all over the world.

MSNBC: Do you think it was the main reason the Polish embassy crisis ended the way it did?

Strauss: I really don’t get you guys sometimes.

MSNBC: You guys?

Strauss: The liberal media. Who’s to say that the Polish embassy crisis wouldn’t have happened anyways, only coupled with the American embassy crisis as well? The Russians stormed the Polish and American embassies at exactly the same time, so obviously it was a coordinated attack. And you guys seem to ignore the fact that as soon as the Russians realized that the American embassy was prepared to fight back then suddenly the Moscow Police was miraculously able to secure the location and repel the protesters. Have you ever considered that they needed to clear the scene before they lost control of the mob they sent! I think it was obvious that if we didn’t use live ammunition the only difference would have been that the Russians in the American embassy would have suffered the same fate as those in the Polish embassy.

marines3.jpg

American Marines at the U.S. embassy in Moscow watch as the Moscow Police clear wounded protesters and clear the embassy complex after a failed attempt by protester at storming the U.S. embassy (AP)

Revolution in Russia!

Anti-Zhirinovsky protests gain traction as over one hundred thousand Russians flock to the former Polish embassy

August 13, 2002 – 13:35 GMT
By John Cecil Johnston
Associated Press

(MOSCOW) For the thirteenth straight day, Russian defied executive order 1095, prohibiting gatherings at the sight of the former Polish embassy in Moscow, as over one hundred thousand flocked to the abandoned building chanting “this is where it started! This is where it ends!”

The protests started on August 1st when a twenty-year old Russian student named Fedor Maslov walked past a pro-Zhirinovsky march celebrating the Polish embassy crisis on live Russian television. He then proceeded to place a wreath of flowers draped in the Polish flag to commemorate the Polish citizens killed. Maslov was immediately seized and beaten to death by the marchers live on Russian TV, prompting hundreds of young Russians to show up at the embassy the following day to lay a wreath of flowers as well. UIS President Vladimir Zhirinovsky’s executive order barring any display of pro-Polish sentiment at the embassy complex has gone unheeded since, and has quickly spiraled into what the opposition is now calling the “Maslov Revolution.”

“Fedor Maslov had no illusions about what would happen when he walked right in front of those fascists and put that wreath at the sight of the Polish embassy,” commented Alina Vitsin, an eighteen year old student at the Moscow State University, “he was willing to give his life for freedom! And we are not willing to let his sacrifice be for nothing! Zhirinovsky might think he can crush this movement, but every Russian is Fedor Maslov today! We are all willing to give our lives for freedom!”

President Zhirinovsky held a press conference yesterday promising that the murderers of Fedor Maslov would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, as well as to form a special committee to address the long list of issues that the protesters have demanded. However, the “Committee for a New Russia”, which consisted of forty-three student leaders, has indicated that they will not end the Maslov Revolution as long as Vladimir Zhirinovsky is still in power. Among the demands they have made were the lifting of martial law, the loosening of the Liberal Democratic Party’s control of the government, and most importantly, the resignation of Vladimir Zhirinovsky.

“The Polish people at this embassy were some of the early victims of Vladimir Zhirinovsky,” Vitsin said, “but we are all victims of Zhirinovsky. We will stand here and protest what he did to our Polish brothers and sisters because we want the world to know that all Russians are not like Vladimir Zhirinovsky. That some of us believe in freedom too.”

UPDATE – 14:15 GMT: Reports from Odessa and Kiev have indicated that students in those cities have just seized control of the local offices of the Liberal Democratic Party of the Ukraine. More details to come.

newsweekpoland.jpg

Russian Protesters breech walls of Polish embassy in Moscow, seize staff!

Hungary, Italy and France announce that embassies will be closed. Americans send Marines to secure U.S. Embassy complex after firefight between American troops and protesters!

Published August 2, 1992
Newsweek
Updated 3:22 p.m. ET

MOSCOW, RUSSIA - Violent protests outside the Polish embassy in Moscow spiraled out of control yesterday and supporters of Russian president Vladimir Zhirinovsky stormed the walls of the embassy complex and seized control of the Polish embassy. The Russians, who had been protesting Polish admission into NATO for over two weeks at the embassy complex, seized the Polish ambassador as the international community condemned the inaction of the Russian government.

“Clearly this could not have happened without the expressed support of the Russian government,” German chancellor Helmut Kohl angrily declared during an emergency session of the German parliament. “We condemn Russian president Vladimir Zhirinovsky for his vile and despicable provocation and call on the safe release of all of the hostages.”

The move prompted dozens of countries to close their embassies and evacuate their staff. However, Russian protesters armed with RPG have threatened to shoot down any helicopters that attempted to fly out from any embassy complex. The Russian government has also indicated that if foreign nationals attempt to flee by vehicle that the Russian government retains the right to pull over those vehicles and seize any Russian citizen that attempted to seek amnesty at that embassy.

“Once they leave the embassy they reenter Russia,” commented newly appointed KGB head Vladimir Putin, “and therefore if they have been charged with treason they will be detained.”

The scene at the French embassy was emotional as over a three hundred Russian citizens who had sought asylum at the embassy pleaded with French embassy officials as they were loaded onto a bus bound for the airport. One young woman attempted to hand her infant child to a French official begging her to take him with them. Shortly after the buses left and the Russian government received the official notice from the French government that the embassy was closed, armed protesters moved into the complex and seized almost all of the remaining Russian nationals. Although the French government had demanded that the asylum seekers be given safe passage to Paris, UIS spokesperson Ivan Piternov told the international press that several were “tragically killed” when the a bus they had been loaded in crashed outside of Moscow.

The situation at the Polish embassy was particularly volatile, with the Polish ambassador to the UIS, Stanisław Ciosek, paraded in front of VHS video camera and forced to read a prepared statement that called on NATO to “defend Polish territorial sovereignty.”

“The embassy of Poland in Moscow is, under international law, Polish territory,” Ciosek said on the tape, “and the Russian people have violated the territorial integrity of the Polish nation. Under the NATO charter it is the duty of NATO to launch a military offensive to drive back these invaders. We call on NATO to uphold the promise that they made to the Polish nation when they admitted our country into NATO.”

Over a dozen witnesses who were permitted to leave the embassy complex have indicated that the taunt of NATO membership was a frequent theme of the hostage takers.

“They kept taunting us and telling us that we would be saved,” commented Italian nationalist Gianfranco Malignaggi, who was in the embassy attempting to secure an exit visa for his Polish-Russian girlfriend, “they kept saying NATO will come to your rescue as they laughed.”

Although reports from inside the embassy remain unreliable, the foreign nationals who had been released have indicated that at least half of the Russian nationals who had been hiding at the embassy have been executed. Malignaggi indicated that 23-yer old Yuri Kekelidze was in fact shot by the Russians in the early hours of the crisis. The photo of Kekelidze, blindfolded and beaten, hugging his Polish girlfriend in front of the embassy complex (see cover) before being dragged away remains one of the most iconic images of the crisis. American President George Bush said in a press conference yesterday that the fate of Kekelidze mirrored the fate of freedom for all Russians and called on the Russian government to guarantee his safety.

French oppose military intervention in Poland; NATO treaty in jeopardy

August 21, 1992
By the CNN Wire Staff

(PARIS, FRANCE) – In a stunning defeat for both American President George Bush and German Chancellor Helmut Kohl, the French ambassador to NATO was quoted on French television yesterday as saying that the French government will not support a military buildup on the Polish-Russian border and that it will oppose “any provocation or escalation of the current situation.”

The move is seen as a stinging defeat for the German Chancellor, who called the Polish embassy crisis last week a “clear violation of the NATO charter, and one in which we must respond forcefully to.”

Kohl called on NATO to deploy over one million troops to the Polish-UIS border as a show of force to counter the increasingly belligerent actions of the Russian President: Vladimir Zhirinovsky. Although his proposal was supported by U.S. President George Bush, as well as tepidly by British Prime Minister John Major, no other NATO nation openly supported the Kohl proposal. However, none took as strong a position opposing intervention as the French, and the refusal by the French government has already opened a floodgate. The Italian, Norwegian, Greek, and Dutch governments have all indicated that unless the agreement to deploy was unanimous that they too would not send troops into Poland.

“Clearly we are dealing with a very, very sensitive situation,” commented Italian Prime Minister Giuliano Amato, “we cannot forget that the UIS is still a nuclear power and that this situation could spiral into a nuclear war if we act recklessly.”

Amato’s Italian Socialist Party is staunchly opposed to any military intervention in the former Soviet bloc, and has indicated that if Italian troops are deployed to Poland that the Amato coalition would almost certainly collapse. Still, international observers were shocked at the disunity in NATO over the Polish embassy crisis, and several American officials have already indicated that the crisis “might have dealt a fatal blow to NATO.”

“Chancellor Kohl really backed us into a corner,” commended one White House official who wished to remain anonymous, “and now we are looking at a situation where NATO looks like a paper tiger. That only gives the Russian government more propaganda.”

The president’s anger at the German Chancellor was undeniable as President Bush saw Kohl’s “one million troop demand” quickly overtake all of the attention from the Republican National Convention in Houston. Bush, who received a boost in the polls after the Polish embassy crisis captured the world’s attention just two weeks before the convention, saw the failure of the Kohl proposal hijack all of the world's attention during the convention. Many Republican strategists have already admitted that the President lost a golden opportunity to boost his sagging poll numbers when the French refusal came at the same time as his acceptance speech in Houston.

Kohl really messed this all up,” added the White House aid, “I can’t honestly believe he really though the French would let themselves be dictated to by the Germans.”

CNN interview with James Baker, former Secretary of State under President George H.W. Bush

July 13, 1997

CNN: How damaging was the Polish embassy crisis to the Bush campaign?

Baker: It was absolutely devastating. Bush was slowly regaining some traction on the issue of Russia. He was taking a hard line and poll numbers were slowly rising. People were starting to realize that he really was tough on Russia and we were slowly digging ourselves out of that hole. But just two weeks before the election we see Russian thugs invade the Polish embassy and openly defy NATO to come and do something about it.

CNN: But didn’t the American response give President Bush a badly needed boost in the polls?

Baker: If you mean when the American Marines repelled the invasion attempt of the US embassy, then yes. The image of old glory flying over the embassy with American Marines pacing back and forth in front of the gate as the Russians fascists meekly collected their dead was a powerful image. The fact that Zhirinovsky tried to storm our embassy and we hit him right in the face and left him with a black eye was a major boost for us domestically, but sadly it was an international diplomatic disaster.

CNN: How so?

Baker: The French blamed us for the increase in violence. When the Russian mobs seized Russian asylum seekers at the French embassy and killed several hundred of them, the French felt that we escalated the situation and caused that to happen. And considering the Polish embassy crisis lasted four days, the Poles were furious with us too. They felt that the Russians would have left within ten minutes of seizing the building if it hadn’t been for us. That after the American response at our embassy that the Russians had to make an example of the Poles to save face. In their opinion that was why they kept using them to challenge NATO.

CNN: How upset was the White House at German chancellor Helmut Kohl after the crisis ended?

Baker: We were absolutely furious. With the release of the remaining Poles at the embassy on August 4th the situation was slowly calming down. But then Helmut Kohl had to unilaterally call for one million NATO troops on the Polish border and that the Polish embassy crisis was in fact a violation of the NATO charter. Well, President Bush couldn’t be seen as being softer than the Germans a week before the convention, so he was forced to back the Kohl plan. But considering the French were still mad at us, and considering the French still didn’t trust the unified German republic, they naturally balked. Once they balked the rest of NATO except Britain and Turkey followed suit. It was a massive PR disaster, and it happened right during the convention.

CNN: Do you think it weakened NATO, or at least the prestige of NATO?

Baker: Obviously. Within a week of the Kohl proposal falling apart Zhirinovsky recognized the independence of the Republic of Serbian Krajina in Croatia and admitted it into the UIS as a direct provocation to NATO.

Last edited:
Pellegrino Shots, i am sorry. But i cannot read the new update, despite my anticipation. You see, there is a thread in Chat which we must spam and make the most out of, since it will be surely locked and several people end up being kicked. Could be me and several people whom read this thread.

I shall read it when the thread is closed.

Wish me luck,
Tongera.