Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire

I meant his proper views. Although what you said is a given in practice.

In OTL he was clearly more interested in nationalist rhetoric but history show that when a power hungry megalomaniac takes power his true idealism can end up compromised. Here Zhirinovsky may be making a compromise, but in OTL General Tikhomirov threatened to carpet bind Chechnya WHILE General Lebed was in Chechnya negotiating a peace accord. There is a possibility in this TL that the 16-man committee is badly split over Chechnya, and Zhirinovsky may figure he can act like he wants peace because he knows it won't stick...

That Stepashin Plan looked damn fine to me. I bet the Daghestani peoples are pissed it didn't go through. Even more than OTL I bet they've sealed their borders and are keeping their heads down. (I wrote a college paper on Daghestan so it's got a special place in my heart LOL)

That Stepashin Plan looked damn fine to me. I bet the Daghestani peoples are pissed it didn't go through. Even more than OTL I bet they've sealed their borders and are keeping their heads down. (I wrote a college paper on Daghestan so it's got a special place in my heart LOL)

They will be. This could turn into a sort of "divide and conquer" situation as well, with the Dagestanis upset with the Chechens for derailing the restored Republic of the Northern Caucasus.

Would this mean that the Dagestanis and the Chechens would be at each other's throats? No wonder why Gorbachev said that Zhirinovsky knows how to create ethnic strife.

Would this mean that the Dagestanis and the Chechens would be at each other's throats? No wonder why Gorbachev said that Zhirinovsky knows how to create ethnic strife.

OTL there was a late incident in which Chechen rebels tried to set up shop in a Daghestani town they thought was friendly, but which chased them out violently right away... but the two groups historically were comrades. Until post-USSR times when the ruling religious and ex-communist elite of Daghestan saw the personal and regional folly of fighting the Russians again and became strange bedfellows. They have no reason whatever to step one meter past their border to fight the Chechens... but I imagine the terror of Baku and Grozny will make the Daghestanis even more enthusiastic in routing out "terrorist" cells in their republic than the Russian anti- terror police! :eek:

Oh and quick factoid: Daghestan means "mountain land" roughly. There is NO dominant ethnic group to name the area after, but rather over a dozen micro-ethnicities, none of which is more than about 12% of the population!!

As this ethnic map of the Caucasus show:

Caucasus-ethnic.jpg