Victoria II

Grey Wolf

Donor
Is there any way to stop the constant flood of rebels?

Playing as the USA, if that helps at all.

They seem to come in phases, and if you can survive a year of hell sometimes they don't come back for another decade or more

I tried seeing what happened if I let them win, but it was usually 2 things, well 3 things 1) they destroyed the armies I had carefully built up, 2) they shagged the economy, 3) when they win they break your sphere of influence

So it didn't really seem worth it. In the end I just maintain strong armies at home, or near enough to home to ship on transports quickly if I need them, and if REALLY necessary mobilise to murder the bastards

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Britain invaded France to try and seize Brittany so I (USA) saw a chance to get my hands on French colonies in the New World. I had occupied all of French Guiana and the lesser Antilles and I had most of my army in Algeria occupying stuff so I could get a good peace deal- when Britain made a white peace with France and declared a war of containment on me! They destroyed most of my navy leaving my army stranded in Morocco so I made hasty peace with France (they gave me a couple islands in the Carribean) and dsibanded my army in Africa so I could retrain it at home. Too little, too late however, the Britiah blockaded my ports and those of my allies and started to occupy Washington and New England. Eventually I agreed to a peace.

I spent the entire time until the truce expired building up my army and increasing my SOE so by the time it ended I went hell-for-leather for Canada. Unfortunately the British had sphered Mexico in the time being so I was fighting a two front war north and south.

It took forever, but in the end I won and gained all of the OTL Guadalupe-Hidalgo territory as well as all of British Columbia, Alberta, and America's rightful borders in New England. I'm already planning a third war to grab the rest of Canada and maybe even annex Mexico. Right now all of the independent New World is in my SOE except for Mexico, Paraguay, and Haiti which I conquered in a short victorious war. Right now I'm afraid to tangle with Spain over Cuba since they're in France's sphere and allied with Russia.

I find playing as the USA harder than it seems, as you don't know when Britain will launch the British Conquest of New England, it could be as you are marching in central Mexico or retaking Atlanta. And the Wargoal system makes it so you'll need several wars with Mexico and / or Britain to make them not a threat anymore; sometimes I wish the British relased the Dominion of Canada more often...

Laurentia

Banned
I find playing as the USA harder than it seems, as you don't know when Britain will launch the British Conquest of New England, it could be as you are marching in central Mexico or retaking Atlanta. And the Wargoal system makes it so you'll need several wars with Mexico and / or Britain to make them not a threat anymore; sometimes I wish the British relased the Dominion of Canada more often...

Everytime the British attack me when I'm in a war against someone, I stall the war against the others or offer white peace if I'm winning. This is followed by me driving the British into Canada and taking it.

They seem to come in phases, and if you can survive a year of hell sometimes they don't come back for another decade or more

I tried seeing what happened if I let them win, but it was usually 2 things, well 3 things 1) they destroyed the armies I had carefully built up, 2) they shagged the economy, 3) when they win they break your sphere of influence

So it didn't really seem worth it. In the end I just maintain strong armies at home, or near enough to home to ship on transports quickly if I need them, and if REALLY necessary mobilise to murder the bastards

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Moving your armies around strategically can help avoid #1, but indeed I've found #2 to be far too punishing, especially with a Laissez-Faire government. I had just 3,000 of the bastards show up on a Caribbean island I took from France... I was slow noticing them, so they occupied the island... Damned bastards busted down a Lv. 9 Luxury Furniture factory... :mad: Nothing I could do about it as CSA's Whigs suck. No way I could see that as being acceptable nationwide.

#3 also doesn't seem worth the trouble, if a Great Power and it is more than 5 years or so in the game.

Other than the Carlists I can't see a rebel victory as worth it.

I don't have too much trouble juggling Britain and Mexico usually, but I've never seen Canada (or any other Dominions) released ever. *

*Excepting New Zealand and South Africa in 1.1, but that was from rebels.

Grey Wolf

Donor
The Gigantic War for Crete

Continued my France game last night into the 1880s.

Decided to release Crete from Spain and give it to Greece, since it incurred only a 4 Infamy penalty and I was quite high still. This would keep it under 20.

All went well at fiirst, blockaded Spain with my ironclads, moved my armies steadily into Spain and sent my colonial armies and monitors to Crete. Catalonia was helping me, and all looked set for victory

Then Britain declared war on me! With a status quo wargoal, they sided with Spain and began to wipe out my Indian forces, again. I decided to dual focus - keep on pushing on in Spain, but send all of my ironclads to the Northern seas, as well as lay down another dozen. This time the British navy did turn up, though still ships of the line and we had loads of running battles between Cape Finisterre and Britanny.

Was beginning to get on top of things, moving armies and spare warships from the Med to Guyana where Britain was creating havoc, when the Netherlands declared war on me and invaded through (neutral) Belgium! I smashed their army back but could do nothing when they hit Grand Bassam as I had nothing spare.

By now I was already fully mobilised and the budget was heading down below zero. I whacked tarrifs up to 50% and decided to finish the job in Spain then see what happened. Catalonia made a separate peace so I had to reconquer those Spanish provinces they had occupied for me, as well as pushing on into Gibraltar which the AI never seems to bother defending.

With Spain occupied, I pulled most of my armies out to rebuild, and having seemingly won in the Northern seas, sent my new ironclads to the Caribbean to see if I cuold begin to retake that from the British - but at that point Britain made peace and gave Greece Crete

The war lasted over 2 years, I got nothing out of it apart from experience and the joy of wiping out Spain's armed forces again, and making Greece even happier with me. Just seemed a bit odd that Britain and the Netherlands were so keen to go to war for Spain when the wargoal was to free a colony from Spain. I guess they thought I (France) was becoming too big for my boots

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
Budgetary Oddity

Previously if you ran a deficit it was fine up to some figure unknown but quite large, that was usually for a large power a couple of million in debt.

HOWEVER, I have found that if I have always been running at a surplus, then head into deficit I can go bankrupt with less than £100k debts. I don't understand why. I even went bankrupt like this when my National Bank still had almost £100k in it that it didn't seem to want to lend to me.

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Is there any possible way to edit the game data to increase the total world power count from eight to ten?
Yes. Look at defines.lua: there is an entry called GREAT_NATIONS_COUNT there. Change the value from 8 to 10, and you're set. Well... maybe. I haven't tested it in that direction, there might be graphical oddities.

Yes. Look at defines.lua: there is an entry called GREAT_NATIONS_COUNT there. Change the value from 8 to 10, and you're set. Well... maybe. I haven't tested it in that direction, there might be graphical oddities.
graphical oddities are the least of my concern.

EDIT: Game crashed...

Is there any possible way to edit the game data to increase the total world power count from eight to ten?
No; that's a base function in the executable itself, not something that can be rewritten in the event files. There are bits to the event files that contain references to it, but only as part of the overall script system; the actual important bits you'd need to change can't be.

Though this makes me curious as to why you'd want more than eight.

Shiiiiit... Some Jacobin rebels popped in a Prussia game I just started, and I thought "Eh, a Republican Germany would be different." They occupied Berlin, I killed off all the rebels and made sure no other places were occupied, then I waited for the year. About two weeks before Prussia kicked out the Kaiser, I remembered... Revolutions make you lose your sphere, and it takes a hell of a lot to build that back up and get to NGF! I hightailed some troops over, but alas, it was too late.

Good thing I have an earlier save. :eek:

The Dude

Banned
Besides that, get reforms, political and social. This'll make reactionary rebels more common, but reduce pretty much everything else. Raise welfare spending. Lower taxes and tariffs. Introduce negative tariffs if you can afford it. The more money the average POP has in their pocket, the happier they'll be and the less likelier to revolt.
This has helped somewhat. I guess I'll just keep on lowering taxes and tariffs until the problem goes away.

I can sustain losses of over 1000 pounds per day for quite a while. These are the advantages of gaining a shitload of money early on.
:D

Carlist vicoty is useless too. Spain's government can simply choose the ruling party, so you place the Carlists on top by Royal decree, and now you can build factories to your heart's content.

I have yet to try it myself, but my understanding from the corresponding thread at Paradoxplaza is that letting the Carlist rebels win creates a government with "Ruling Party Only" in the Upper House. This means that reforms can be made (except to the UH) at the player's leisure. Just appoint Liberals for Political Reforms, etc...

Anyway, here is how my Prussia/Germany game finished. Rebels broke A-H. From what I gather there were both Austrian Nationalists and Anarcho-liberals. Austrian Nationalists occupied some provinces, and released Austria. Everyday, the new Austria triggers the Austro-Hungarian compromise event and creates A-H, trading places with the previous A-H... :confused: Screwy. I couldn't get it to quit, so I installed 1.3 and moved on to a CSA game.

My CSA game at halfway.

Civil war hit late 1861. I had the usual cores + the plains states, Wisconsin, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, UT-Nevada, Idaho, Oregon, Chihuahua, St. Thomas (place in the Sun CB vs. Denmark in 1840s). Another year or two I probably would have had Washington and Michigan as well.

Took Missouri and Sonora in the 2nd war (Sonora and Chihuahua both conquered when I was still USA naturally). France intervened in that, I think because my ally Peru claimed land from Colombia w/whom they were Friendly. They didn't land any major armies though, and I took Martinique off of them.

The third war was huge. USA fielded a larger army than either time prior, and the tech was getting to the point that it favors defensive warfare.. I was just hoping to take my WV cores, as my infamy wasn't entirely worked down from my previous grabs. Nevertheless as it escalated and I worked them down, I decided to weaken them more adding MD, PA (10 infamy) and freed New England in MA (3 inf.)

The fourth war came soon after thanks to a lucky event giving me an Add State CB. I used it to take California for free. UK declared on the USA at this time also, so I gave New England the rest of their cores (3 more inf) to keep the UK out of there.

Infamy is still under the limit ~20-21. Britain is still +200 with me - not ready to go after them yet. Colombia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Honduras, Hawaii, New England all sphered. Mexico is "Friendly." I also own the Panama Canal.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Trying 1.3

Installed 1.3 last night and decided to restart a game as France and see what obvious differences there were :-

1. France's military score seems a lot lower, starting from 11th in the world

2. Piedmont-Sardinia seemed to surrender earlier and give me Savoie when I had neither completely destroyed their armies nor completed occupying those provinces (tho I had Turin occupied). Is there a new modifier to let a country know when it is better to give in earlier than wait til they are wiped out?

3. Belgium and Bavaria seem to become early great powers at the expense of Spain and the Netherlands

4. Seems to be a bit slower early on, maybe carrying out more calculations than before?

Probably a lot more but these are what I've noticed in the first eleven years, tho as far as wars are concerned I'v only fought Sardinia, Morocco (twice), Algeria and the Netherlands (as Portugal's ally, and the Dutch gave in quite early)

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Everytime the British attack me when I'm in a war against someone, I stall the war against the others or offer white peace if I'm winning. This is followed by me driving the British into Canada and taking it.

Been there, done that. Afterwards, they declared war again and again, so I drove them out of the Americas, out of Australia, and am now in the process of liberating India.

As the NGF, how do you beat France to get A-L? Their industrial score is surprisingly high late in the game (can't get close even with the tips you've given me) , and once mobilized they can field about 50 brigades more than me.

I guess it should be a quick lightning war, rush to Paris from Belgium as soon as I can? Do I leave 3000 men on each province behind me, or do I use huge stacks to take provinces quick? How the hell is warfare supposed to work in this game anyway?

If both of us have the same countries as allies, how to know who will they join? Also, I suppose I should remove Belgium and the Netherlands from their SoI, and otherwise isolate them diplomatically...

It's 1870 BTW.