TL: UK Overseas Regions [Redux]

Nice to see this back, pity the POD is too late for Newfoundland! :)

With this POD is it possible British Guyana stays closer to the UK?

I ask since the country would make a lovely UK or Commonwealth space port, and with the UK operating a 'separation' from the US, I cannot see them believing the lies of NASA about rockets and space flight and therefore maintains a UK alternative, with Blue Streak etc, probably getting into the satellite and probe launching biz.

Looking forward to more.

Very interesting thread. I see Britain easily take in West Indies, Cyprus, Singapore and maybe some Pacific territories. It would be less than 5 million people, less than 10% of the country population. And it wouldn't have to take place overnight: with Malta precedent, all those territories could be incorporated over the years, having enough time for local politics to adapt.

Singapore - can't see this happening, it's too many people for the UK to swallow, and the UK has already demonstrated in WW2 it can't defend the place.
Shame kinda would be interesting if Singapore decided to join the Uk.
I did a quick check of the current population of Singapore on the internet thinking it would be about the same of Wales. However, it's exactly the same as Scotland (5.454 million) and considerably large than the population of Wales (3.136 million).

Yeah I get that, but Singapore is even more populated then T&T as above, and it's a massive way away from the UK. Can't see it integrating, but I'd note that the Royal Navy was in Singapore in OTL until the withdrawal in 1971 (I think, happy to take corrections!) from East of Suez. Whilst not a sovereign base, clearly the RN had some kind of privileged position in the docks. Either way, Singapore joined in to Malaysia in 1963 in OTL, and I can't see butterflies majorly affecting this as long as the RN retains the same kind of basing rights it had in OTL in this TL.
Maybe a more prolonged confrontation could be the cause for Singapore in joining the UK. I mean the country didn’t really want independence from malaysia in the first place.
I did a quick check of the current population of Singapore on the internet thinking it would be about the same of Wales. However, it's exactly the same as Scotland (5.454 million) and considerably large than the population of Wales (3.136 million).
Population of Singapore in the 60 is about 1.6 -1.8 according to Wikipedia

Singapore seems to be a very easy case: Singapore was born British. It wouldn't be a big deal to remain under British flag. The same would apply for Hong Kong if it was not the New Territories 99-year lease. If Britain and China had interest on it, they could have allowed Victoria Island and Kowloon remain under British rule for longer even if the New Territories were returned.

I ask since the country would make a lovely UK or Commonwealth space port, and with the UK operating a 'separation' from the US, I cannot see them believing the lies of NASA about rockets and space flight and therefore maintains a UK alternative, with Blue Streak etc, probably getting into the satellite and probe launching biz.
Don’t forget the massive oil that they have would definitely help grow the UK economic, hell if in the 70 the UK decides to build some nuclear power plant, they could make bank by selling their oil to other nations

Don’t forget the massive oil that they have would definitely help grow the UK economic, hell if in the 70 the UK decides to build some nuclear power plant, they could make bank by selling their oil to other nations
Wasn’t most Guyanese oil only discovered in the last couple years?

Oil exploration has been going on since the 1950s:

Meanwhile, petroleum was a major export of Trinidad and Tobago since the 50s
Sure. But they basically all came up empty. It was believed there must The massive field was only discovered in 2015. Now maybe if Guyana was part of the UK there would have been more exploration earlier that would have found it, but it’s also possible that early efforts would be held back by the technology of the day.

Chapter 2: Macmillan

Devvy

Donor
Harold Macmillan
Conservative Premiership, 1960-1963, won election 1960

charles-de-gaulle-and-harold-macmillan-1814030.jpg

De Gaulle and Macmillan carved out the beginning of a completely new era in Franco-British relations.

The Macmillan Premiership, despite winning the 1960 election, had a reduced majority, and the working majority was quickly too narrow during crunch votes. Despite this, Macmillan was responsible for several major steps in British foreign policy. Firstly, was the decision to back investment in the Royal Navy in the inter-service rivalries of the late 1950s & early 1960s. Attempts by the Royal Air Force to become Britain's nuclear deterrent were set back by the deteriorating situation with the Americans whose missile technology some had sought to utilise (including the de facto cancellation of American Skybolt missile in 1960 (*1) ), and the role was increasingly sought by the Royal Navy. In addition to this, rapidly improving radar and surface-to-air missiles meant that the chances of getting a bomber through enemy lines was rapidly diminishing anyhow. The concentration on the Royal Navy fed in to the research in to naval missiles, allowing the British nuclear deterrent to be carried by the Royal Navy in a new class of submarines.

Secondly, and despite Macmillan's best efforts, the UK-US "special relationship" was rapidly unravelled as events unfolded. Suez may have been the match, but there was a long line of highly combustible fuel following this for many years - a series of events of which all played their part in the estrangement. Macmillans discussions with Eisenhower over foreign policy - significantly relating to dealing with the Soviet Union led Macmillan to conclude that he could "no longer talk usefully to the Americans", and led him to further consider Anglo-French relations as a counterbalance to American power. American distrust of the UK continued, believing it full of Soviet spies following the Cambridge Five revelations, whilst infighting between US departments did little to help smooth the relationship either. After the United Kingdom successfully developed nuclear weapons, and the Soviets caused a stir by placing a satellite in to orbit, American inter-departmental disorganisation caused the tentative query as to whether the UK would be interested in a joint approach to nuclear weapons with the Skybolt missile, before the Skybolt missile was then cancelled causing further damage to the British attitudes towards the United States. This was somewhat reciprocated when the British declined to partake in any involvement in the Cuban Missile Crisis, although a continued and whole-hearted commitment to NATO by the United Kingdom was welcome after the French began to withdraw form the unified command (although remaining in the NATO alliance itself). The US-UK relationship remained strong, backed by years of working and fighting side by side, but both sides began to realise they had different strategies, fears and aims on the global stage - during peace time at least.

This all fed in to the 1961 British-French agreement to jointly work on nuclear weapons research; inevitably some research spilled over in to civilian nuclear research, further undermining the efforts of the joint European nuclear programme called EURATOM (*2). France had already successfully tested a nuclear bomb in 1960 with the Israelis, but following the test France rapidly backed away from Israel - at the same time as Britain was looking for alternative partners. Macmillan had previously noted that "Britain will retain an independent nuclear capability, no matter the cost" to the US President - then JFK - during exploratory discussions. However, the cost of the Blue Streak missile programme was extreme, and coupled on to the dozens of other major expenditure programmes for the United Kingdom. Something needed to give, and finding a suitable partner in France, Macmillan and de Gaulle agreed to integrate their research and development efforts, whilst agreeing both would retain control over their manufactured weapons under a "joint research & development, independent implementation" strategy. Britain's research and development engineers and scientists therefore worked closely with French teams to work on a new missile system for submarines, given that Britain did not want to host land-based missiles, and air-launched missiles still required a home base and launching close to enemy territory. Although independently designed, the amount of joint research led to a large degree to technical similarity between the British and French nuclear deterrent submarines, both ordered in 1963.

Britain and France began to collaborate elsewhere almost immediately, with a series of joint programmes throughout the following decades and following Prime Ministers - and such close co-operation became closer following the signing of the Evian Accords in France relating to Algerian independence, given some unease in the Commonwealth with regards to the growing relationship between France and Britain. This predominately came from newly independent nations in Africa, but often spearheaded by India or Pakistan who saw French racial attitudes to their continued or historic empire as extremely troubling. Such concerns from the Commonwealth kept France as a British ally, but not a member of the Commonwealth itself as some on France had suggested. Such close co-operation, however, did not overcome Britain's imperial trade relations and responsibilities, and as such Britain remained somewhat aloof of the European Common Market, despite the growing relationship with France. Move towards a European trade zone in industrial products did however result in the creation of the European Free Trade Area however, between the Common Market 6 Powers and several surrounding European nations including the United Kingdom (*3).

Another notable step by Macmillan was the "Wind of Change" speech, given by Macmillan. The speech noted a growing desire for autonomy in Britain's colonial empire, and desire to be more than just colonial subjects of the British Empire. In the UK government, there was a desire to temper and weaken left wing pro-Sovietism in anti-colonial groups, whilst African nationalism in particular continued to grow, following the example of newly independent (in 1957) Ghana (formerly the British Gold Coast). "Autonomy and then Dominionhood or Integration" was the paraphrased message in later years, although the comment about integration was only in response to a question about the decolonisation of Malta, conveniently forgotten in the later summaries. The speech was seen to advocate for introducing and increasing the levels of self-rule in colonies and this was introduced to many British colonies, especially in Africa, during the short Premiership, settings wheels in motion which would lead to several independent nations later in the 1960s. In Africa, East Africa (*4), Nigeria, Zambia, Malawi and The Gambia all made significant strides towards self governance or outright independence, whilst in Asia Malaysian federation came in to existence. In the long run, not all were successful - particularly in Malaysia where the union with Singapore was rapidly terminated. Likewise, the desired West Indies Federation would also fall apart in 1965 after only 7 years of operation due to political infighting, with Jamaica dropping out half way through in 1962 to gain independence directly itself, and rapidly followed by Trinidad and Tobago in 1963, leaving a rump of West Indies islands back under the United Kingdom again.

The speech did not advocate for a full withdrawal from the world however despite advocating for greater self government. Commercial interests, as well as defence, would continue to keep Britain firmly in many countries, and often in collaboration with local governments. Oil in Nigeria was a major industry with a huge British involvement, as was the copper industry in Zambia and other metals in Uganda. As such, British commercial interests continued to require open use of the Suez Canal and accordingly the British Government were eager to keep the vital shipping lanes open.

Domestically, Macmillan was notable for the passing of the "UK Immigration Act", which began the first limitations on Commonwealth immigration in to the UK. This entrenched attitudes in Malta towards UK integration - a fair number of Maltese had already left Malta for the UK in search of job opportunities in the growing British economy, and increased the attraction of "full UK membership". Macmillan fell in 1963 in the raucous Parliamentary atmosphere following the Immigration Act passing in to law and a sex scandal involving Profumo, a Government minister. A string of by-election defeats had left Macmillan struggling to pass contentious legislation without the backbenchers almost 100% in line with him to enact his agenda, and Macmillan called for an election in 1963, but during the election period further news came out about Profumo's affair - despite denying it earlier, news leaked it had indeed occurred. 10 years of Conservative rule came to an end as Gaitskell, waiting in the wings for many years, eventually led Labour to power once again.

------------------------------------
Notes:
(*1) Skybolt was almost cancelled in 1960; Presidential committees proposed it's cancellation, it was only kept alive by budget "reprogramming" and the support from Britain for it - support which is now going to be far less, both from Britain or listened to by the USA.
(*2) I think this probably de facto butterflies EURATOM, in favour of an Anglo-French nuclear co-operation programme. EURATOM still technically exists, but it's going to be less relevant, and may well be wound up at some point or just integrated to the EEC at some future point.
(*3) Whilst Britain hasn't had the beat down it had in OTL Suez, it's a bit more imperially minded still - but economic concerns are still going to push for EFTA as a free trade agreement whilst former colonies begin to go their own way and market preferences shift away from the United Kingdom.
(*4) The East African Federation reaches statehood this time, instead of falling away, due to a continued imperially focussed Britain.

With regards to the US-UK relationship, whilst in OTL the overall relationship was excellent, and could withstand little bumps, here the overall relationship is less tight and has meant all those little bumps have just chipped away at the relationship.

Also; there's been some talk about keeping other territories. The UK is well versed in colonial affairs, and in decolonisation isn't going to try and integrate anyone to the UK unless they are actively asking for it and pursuing it - and it helps to have some UK interest in them too. I can't see any interest in trying to keep a territory which has an active independence-chasing government, nor are there huge butterflies yet with regards to political strategies in the UK or overseas yet (bar Malta!), so so I can't see much change for the many countries which became independent in the 1960s. Such as Guyana, as nice as that would be for a spaceport!

Devvy

Donor

I just can't see how Singapore would end up in the UK to be honest. Everyone saw the future of Singapore within Malaysia somehow, and then when it was ejected it automatically became an independent state rather than reverting to a British colony. The UK has demonstrated it can't really vouch for Singapore's defence in WW2 sadly, and Singapore isn't going to be able to derive any benefits from UK membership such as tourism, customs union/trade, etc. Close relationship is the most I can see.

Maybe a more prolonged confrontation could be the cause for Singapore in joining the UK. I mean the country didn’t really want independence from malaysia in the first place.

Population of Singapore in the 60 is about 1.6 -1.8 according to Wikipedia

Added to my comments above, Singapore is a massive bloc compared to other territories. UK population in 1960 is roughly 52million, which would make an integrated Singapore form 3% of the combined Singapore-UK country, probably circa 20 extra Singaporean seats in the House of Commons. That is comfortably easy enough to swing an election result, which I can't see anyone being particularly enthused over at the time. I can see an ATL Enoch type having an absolute fit the first time an election is swung by Singapore.

Singapore seems to be a very easy case: Singapore was born British. It wouldn't be a big deal to remain under British flag. The same would apply for Hong Kong if it was not the New Territories 99-year lease. If Britain and China had interest on it, they could have allowed Victoria Island and Kowloon remain under British rule for longer even if the New Territories were returned.

There's no way you can split Victoria & Kowloon from the rest of the New Territories by the 1960s or so. It'd be about as easy as trying to split London clean in half along the Thames. And even if it was likely, China is going to be asking, nay demanding, it back at some point, with an army that can just march in whenever it wants.

Nice chapter.

France and Britain cooperating on nukes, could also mean a joint space program?

Guyana could be used for a spaceport anyway independent or not. I am sure they would welcome the income - as long as the site is secure then it is a lot closer to Home than Australia is.

Is the Commonwelath trading arangements like a global EFTA? Do the Commonwealth countries gain better access to the European markets by trading through Britain? If so, then that is going to be a big incentive for many to stay.

The USSR could do with an EFTA between the Warsaw Pact members- but I guess that might depend on who gets into power in the Supreme Soviet.

Looking forward to more.

I just can't see how Singapore would end up in the UK to be honest. Everyone saw the future of Singapore within Malaysia somehow, and then when it was ejected it automatically became an independent state rather than reverting to a British colony. The UK has demonstrated it can't really vouch for Singapore's defence in WW2 sadly, and Singapore isn't going to be able to derive any benefits from UK membership such as tourism, customs union/trade, etc. Close relationship is the most I can see.
Yup..had to agree to that, even the best case scenario that I could think of,where that if the RN is somehow expanded and keep expanding that a different FPDA (which were made in 1971) that states the UK will takeover the Woodlands Naval Base after the Royal Malaysian Navy (finally) transferred to Lumut later in 1984...is definitely implausible....

Gaitskell, waiting in the wings for many years, eventually led Labour to power once again.
Cannot wait for Gaitskell enough....

P/s:
In the long run, not all were successful - particularly in Malaysia where the union with Singapore was rapidly terminated.
Perhaps there could be a mention of the failure of Brunei to also join Malaysia as well (unless something does change in this regard...

Devvy

Donor
Nice chapter.

France and Britain cooperating on nukes, could also mean a joint space program?
There's definitely potential for it, I'm not sure whether Britain has the desire to go even half on a space programme but maybe,

Guyana could be used for a spaceport anyway independent or not. I am sure they would welcome the income - as long as the site is secure then it is a lot closer to Home than Australia is.

Is the Commonwelath trading arangements like a global EFTA? Do the Commonwealth countries gain better access to the European markets by trading through Britain? If so, then that is going to be a big incentive for many to stay.
Commonwealth is roughly like OTL; there's no Commonwealth-wide scheme, but from the UK perspective there's a bunch of trade agreements between them and a lot of other former Empire countries. The EFTA is roughly OTL as well, can't see butterflies affecting that - I think the major thing for the UK was always keeping the trade lines open for agricultural imports from the empire (a significant reason why EFTA didn't cover agriculture) until economic need really trumped and required closer alignment with the EEC/EU.

The USSR could do with an EFTA between the Warsaw Pact members- but I guess that might depend on who gets into power in the Supreme Soviet.

Looking forward to more.
I'll be quite honest, I'm not sure on exactly how trade worked between the SU and the WP members, but it at least seemed to be free'ish trade maybe subject to quotas - duties and tariffs seem quite capitalist! :)

Yup..had to agree to that, even the best case scenario that I could think of,where that if the RN is somehow expanded and keep expanding that a different FPDA (which were made in 1971) that states the UK will takeover the Woodlands Naval Base after the Royal Malaysian Navy (finally) transferred to Lumut later in 1984...is definitely implausible....

Cannot wait for Gaitskell enough....

P/s:

Perhaps there could be a mention of the failure of Brunei to also join Malaysia as well (unless something does change in this regard...
I've been considering how the whole area might evolve under different PM's in the UK. I think the formation of Malaysia is too soon for any butterflies to affect, and Singapore will slide out again, but maybe afterwards there's scope for some differences.

I've been considering how the whole area might evolve under different PM's in the UK. I think the formation of Malaysia is too soon for any butterflies to affect, and Singapore will slide out again, but maybe afterwards there's scope for some differences.
I've been reading up on this and apparently there was a movement within Brunei to unify north Borneo under Bruneian rule, and then join Malaysia as one block, or potentially form their own country - union with peninsular Malaya was not universally popular

Devvy

Donor
I've been reading up on this and apparently there was a movement within Brunei to unify north Borneo under Bruneian rule, and then join Malaysia as one block, or potentially form their own country - union with peninsular Malaya was not universally popular

Yeah I've seen that, I like the idea of North Borneo, but the Sultan of Brunei apparently wasn't in favour, until it was too late and Brunei couldn't be accommodated in Malaysia but Sabah and Sarawak were gobbled up by Malaysia.

Last edited:
Chapter 3: Gaitskell

Devvy

Donor
Hugh Gaitskell
Labour Premiership, 1963-1968, won election 1963

p01gwrdw.jpg

Gaitskell making use of the state media.

Gaitskell swept to power in 1963, and in retrospect laid out the framework for much of what we consider "Modern Britain". Attempting to rehabilitate the Macmillan's new immigration laws as "nationality and not racially based", he was responsible for several liberal social reforms, including new racial discrimination laws, an end to the death penalty and the legalisation of homosexuality. A gulf with Rhodesia, attempting to unilaterally break away over race relations in the colony, demonstrated a considerable lack of capability of the armed forces however compared to Gaitskell's objectives of more active intervention against the white minority administration. It laid out the context for the 1965 Defence White Paper, setting out future requirements for the armed forces, whilst placing troops in Aden to quell unrest there, as well as the military beginning to transform in to the modern day force instead of a more conscription-based force from World War II. Attempts to bring the United Kingdom in to Vietnam were made by the United States, and initially Gaitskell was receptive seeing it as a way to mend bridges - the British forces had experience from the Malayan Emergency. However, the American desire for "boots on the ground" to support rather than just advisors meant that Gaitskell had little motivation to get involved in a war on the other side of the planet to the UK, especially given the British awareness of the lack of domestic support for Diem's South Vietnamese regime and it's almost complete dependence on the United States. Kennedy and Gaitskell could find little to see eye to eye on, despite being on the same side, it seemed.

Under pressure domestically from his Labour MPs - whether on reasons of principle, financial or other, many other countries proceeded towards increased autonomy or sovereignty - Nigeria finally officially became a Dominion within the Commonwealth, as did East Africa, whilst several other smaller states (often in the Pacific) moved towards what was increasingly called "dependency" status - the UK only providing defence, foreign affairs and ensuring "good governance". Accordingly, the British Empire shrank and the British Commonwealth swelled in membership, but this was predominately larger countries, whilst smaller territories remained dependant on the United Kingdom. This was usually for financial reasons as those smaller territories contained small populations, and it was also often seen as undesirable and diluting in the Commonwealth to admit a large number of tiny states. Despite this "triumph" of independence of new nations and Dominions, the presence of large and powerful countries on the Commonwealth made it more difficult for the UK to maintain it's figurehead position; the old guard (often now known as the "White Commonwealth") were frequently opposed by the new powerful members, often eager to realise their national policy objectives. The likes of India and Pakistan, who often focused on racial issues within the Commonwealth, were swiftly joined by Nigeria and East Africa (although South Africa had left in 1961), all large and significant member states. Economic and foreign relations inevitably began to change from the historic imperial relations to new geographical neighbours, a focus on opposing Apartheid in South Africa, and handling the growing crisis in Rhodesia. The latter proved to be a divisive topic in Commonwealth meetings, with African states eager for harder line action - including potential military action - to enforce majority rule in Rhodesia, and the UK especially balking at the prospect of taking arms against what would be a largely ex-British group in Rhodesia.

In to this came Gaitskell's queries towards greater Commonwealth/Imperial free trade in preparation for the Commonwealth 1966 Commonwealth meeting. Gaitskell was keen to try and shore up an economy which was beginning to struggle in the face of continued growth in Europe. Commonwealth trade with the United Kingdom was on a firm downward trend as former colonies found Dominionhood and new trade partners - the United States in particular was rapidly replacing the UK as a principal trade partner. The recent discussions with Diefenbaker in to balancing Canadian trade between both the United States and United Kingdom were moot however, with the replacement of Diefenbaker as Canadian Prime Minister by Pearson, whilst both Australia and New Zealand were wary of further free trade preventing their nascent industries from becoming self-sufficient and continuing as a mere agricultural & resource supplier to the UK. Likewise, India was attempting to diversify away from it's British past, and East Africa had little time for what it saw as neo-colonial attempts by Britain. The gentle feelers put out in advance of the Commonwealth Prime Ministers meeting were therefore met with polite indifference to the concept, and it died a rapid death once again. The UK just wasn't able to compete by itself with the trade power of the United States, and was also struggling to be the prime defence and foreign policy partner in the Commonwealth Australasia / Pacific area given it's position on the opposite side of the globe to the UK. The need to devalue the pound sterling in the late 1960s, reflecting Britain's economic insecurities, did little to help Commonwealth ties, and served to further push other Commonwealth members away (*1).

As such, the UK-French relationship continued to evolve, with joint technological projects to split costs forming early on, especially in the aviation sector. Many projects saw publicly celebrated agreements and co-operation between Britain and France; the Channel Tunnel agreement was signed in 1964 (*2) along with a commitment to a new high speed rail service between London and Paris through the tunnel. A supersonic airliner was investigated, but dropped due to lack of funds (*3) although this spurred the creation of an Anglo-French aircraft manufacturer, Airbus, which would also rapidly bring in the Germans to make it a pan-European organisation (*4). Co-operation within the military aviation area was more difficult, given the number of well established national defence contractors, with competing commercial interests.

Domestically, the key points enacted under Gaitskell's Premiership was the widespread introduction of the metric system to the United Kingdom. This had been discussed at the 1962 Commonwealth Prime Ministers Conference, and duly backed by all; metrication was the future it seemed, and Gaitskell definitely agreed having backed widespread metrication for many years. With Commonwealth partners adopting it, and trade partners in Europe (including all Common Market members) already operating at least predominately in metric, adopting a metric system in the UK would aid the export market and simplify a raft of administration.

Firstly was the decimalisation of the currency. Reports from 1960 by the British Chambers of Commerce had advocated for decimalisation, whilst a Government committee had also corroborated this in 1963 with an official report backing the decimalisation of Britain's currency. It seemed the only question left was how, but this was quickly answered by a raft of financial institutions, not least HM Treasury and Bank of England. These two backed the retention of pound sterling with a consistent value due to it's international usage and status as a reserve currency, with only the subdivision changed from 12 shillings or 240 (old) pence, to 100 (new) pence. Legislation was introduced in 1965, and immediately work began in to conversion of currency in to decimalised penny coins or 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 25p (*5) and 50p in order to simplify the conversion. This meant that the old Shilling, Florin and Crown coins could continue in circulation until replacement, being as they equalled 5p, 10p and 25p accordingly. Decimal Day, the official switchover to decimal currency in the "real world" was announced for 1970; after the next election. Such a move, in due time, would significantly simplify accounting and financial processes, whilst a raft of consumer aids were produced including dual-priced labels well in advance of Decimal Day, and pocket-sized conversion tables to aid in the switch.

The other side of the change was the metrication of the country. This introduced sweeping changes - not particularly popular at the time, and usually presumed to be part of the (but not the only) reason for the following election result which saw the Conservative party returned to government. This saw the imperial system dropped and metric system introduced in virtually every facet of British life.. The fledgling motorways in Britain would now be signed with metric distances (and later speed limits when introduced), meaning the southern end of the M1 motorway was resigned after only a few years (*6). This led to a confusing driving experience for some for several years as the motorways went metric, and connecting roads took far longer to receive metric signs (in some cases over a decade). As ministers commented; "you can't do everything at once - this will take time and you might as well start with the brand new roads", and the metrication programme was predicted to last 10-12 years anyhow. The metric programme touched virtually every part of British life, with standards from electrical wiring, to sports pitch sizes, to food packaging weights being converted to metric units, and such a huge change took far longer than estimates predicted - signposts in miles could easily be found well in to the 1990s in rural areas, although speed limits were far quicker to change (in only a few years) to avoid legal loopholes. Although much of this was driven in collaboration with the Commonwealth and to make trade with Europe (and the Common Market itself) easier, Gaitskell remained aloof of participation in the Common Market itself, having no time for the notion of subsuming the United Kingdom in to the European club and doing away with a thousand years of history as he put it.

In Malta, the nation had now been part of the United Kingdom for 4 years by the time of Gaitskell's entry to Downing Street. A whole hearted attempt by the British Government was under way in Malta, with the Valleta dockyards modernised to better function as the Royal Navy centre of Mediterranean operations. Integration was, although supported in a referendum, not a universally backed move in Malta, and the UK was particularly careful with regards to the Catholic Church in Malta - encouraging but not forcing "social progression" as seen elsewhere in Europe, which reflected the integration agreements over what would become Maltese devolution. Westminster backing for the Maltese government moves to back and develop the tourism sector in Malta were well received, as was the provision of UK-wide social benefits such as unemployment pay and other national insurance options - although the provision of UK pensions would take some time to filter through. The merging of the post office in to the UK wide General Post Office allowed the deployment of the Girobank banking service which was offered via the GPO - this was a banking service targeted at those who had been unable to use the main commercial banks before.

In addition to Malta, towards the end of Gaitskell's Premiership, discussions between the United Kingdom and Spain began over the future of Gibraltar. Initially placed on a "Dependant Territories" list due to an oversight by British officials, missing the fact that the Treaty of Utrecht prevented Gibraltar from becoming independent, discussions continued between Britain and Spain over the future of The Rock together with a tightening of Spanish restrictions against Gibraltar. What resulted was a suggestion from the Spanish government, then a dictatorship under the leadership of Franco, for what would in effect be the integration of Gibraltar in to Spain as a highly devolved Spanish territory. The Gibraltarians balked at this. Legislation in Gibraltar to organise a referendum in 1967 over this topic initially saw two options proposed - integration with Spain, or the continuation of the existing situation as a British dependency. However, following the example of Malta, the Gibraltar Integration Party succeeded in amending the proposed referendum, with a third choice added in tight circumstances during the Legislative Council debates; pursue integration with the United Kingdom.

The referendum was held at the end of 1967, towards the end of Gaitskell's electoral term, and surprisingly the integration with Britain option won the referendum - often attributed to the hard tactics employed by Spain towards Gibraltar. A period of reflection and negotiation planning was interrupted however, by the requirements for a 1968 UK General Election. It would turn out to be Gaitskell's farewell to Downing Street, and Gibraltar would be someone else's choice to make.

---------------------------
Notes: Gaitskell living longer (a 1953/1956 PoD) as he stands a chance of lupus at least developing very differently. Gaitskell is on record as having no interest in leading the UK in to the EEC, but also on the record as favouring metrication and decimalisation which obviously will feed in to UK-EEC harmonisation.

(*1) No future for Commonwealth trade or closer links really. The growing closeness of the UK and France also probably looks like a) a less strong partner as it can't do things solely by itself any more and b) a greater commitment to Europe rather than the global Commonwealth. Unlike OTL European accession being seen as the UK turning it's back on the Empire, this will make it clearer that both the Commonwealth and the UK are turning away from each other. Given Gaitskell's OTL severe lack of enthusiasm for the (European) Common Market, I see at least queries in to the possibility of greater free trade within the Commonwealth by Gaitskell to be inevitable.
(*2) Earlier Channel Tunnel which was begun and then cancelled in OTL; carries through here due to much closer UK-French relations.
(*3) Concorde is cancelled on cost grounds....well the purse is not unlimited. Saves a good amount of cash too.
(*4) UK remains committed to Airbus instead of getting cold feet.
(*5) 25p coin instead of 20p coin. Probably the only change here, to me it seems obvious as it means the continued use of the Crown coin is possible - I'd point out this is the same subdivision as the Maltese Pound/Lira in OTL too, which here obviously is directly using UK Pound Sterling, but with the rights to print it's own notes (same situation as OTL Northern Irish & Scottish banks).
(*6) This is probably the biggest change here; I can find several references in Hansard about Gaitskell advocating for metrication, so I figure the motorways (then under construction) are an easy first target for road metrication, with other roads following to metric over the next 10-12 years. Although I guess there will be some smaller rural/country lanes signs will last for decades as commented.

Apologies for the length, this kinda span out rapidly as I started writing, editing and tweaking! :)

Just wondering regarding the 12:08 TL, is that and this TL both in the same universe or being different? Interesting to see how different the British rail network will be ITTL.

I am hoping, though I doubt it will happen is that the incoming Tory government can solve the Rhodesia problem with a transition to democratic, majority party state over a sensible time-frame. It seems less likely a Tory govt would roll the tanks in (though not impossible), and I doubt they will leave things be simply cos they won't want a revolution.

A different PM than Gaitskell might have pulled off a 'Commonwealth EU', but I suspect it was never a goer with him.

"Nigeria finally officially became a Dominion" - nice. Wonder if there is a move towards a formal Commonwealth Parliament?

"the UK-French relationship continued to evolve" - space projects will be fun. With this level of cooperation Britain does not need to be in the EEC.

"the widespread introduction of the metric system to the United Kingdom." - much earlier, though I expected more pushback, esp on the road sign change. Hopefully companies won't use it as an excuse to rack up the prices.

"decimalised penny coins or 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 25p (*5) and 50p" - the 25p coin makes a lot of sense frankly.

With more money from not doing Concord and BR not doing their 50's modernisation plan, does that mean BR is electrifying, introducing diesel, and phasing out steam in a more sensible way?

"integration with Britain option won the referendum" - now that is a sensible idea for Gibraltar, esp in the face of Spanish aggression.

Wonder if Sri Lankan history might go differently in this world? Are they a Dominion or a dependency? If Bandaranaike does not come to power then a lot of trouble will be avoided.