The Children of Clovis a Merovingian TL

reader mode
  • In this timeline the Merovingian rulers are able to maintain relative over Francia and stop the greedy Mayors of the Palace and bring stability to their realm.

Clovis II watched Grimoald the former Mayor of the Palace get dragged away to his execution "rotten wrench" he thought. He had dethroned his nephew the king of Austrasia, forced him into a monastery and placed a pretender Childebert on the throne but at the head of his army he had defeated and killed the pretender in battle while Grimoald had been captured and Clovis placed his son Chlothar III on the Austrasian throne as his representative and things seemed to be good but back in Nuestria he couldn't help but worry about his sons safety so he pinned a short letter to his wife who was their sons regent.

I hope this letter finds you in good health and high spirits. I write to you today with a proposal that I believe will greatly benefit both our positions and the stability of our beloved Frankish kingdom.

As the Merovingian king, it is my duty to ensure the unity and well-being of our realm. Recent events have shown that the position of the Mayor of the Palace holds significant influence and control over the affairs of the kingdom. It is with this understanding that I wish to discuss a plan to gain a measure of control over the Mayor of the Palace, as a means to strengthen the authority of the Merovingian dynasty.

As the messenger left Clovis new that this was his chance to stop him and his descendants from being pawns of scheming eunuch's and Mayors of the Palaces.

In OTL Clovis II died after defeating Grimoald and Childebert but in this TL he lives longer and is able to pass some much needed reforms.

Last edited:
    reader mode
  • Clovis felt secure on his throne but for how long? What he needed was peace and stability to consolidate power so he began a search for allies so he sent some envoys across the channel to see if he could improve relations with his wife's people. The Anglo-Saxons were not that useful but they would likely accept his offer to counter in order to stop the Mercians but he would have to wait to find out.
    He knew he just needed a way to secure power in the long-term so he realized who he could ally with that would be beneficial

Dagobert (the envoy) arrived in Toulouse, Aquitaine was a thorn in their side but they would be useful in war.
    "What brings you here" said the Betrand the current ruler, "I come on behalf of Clovis II he wants in alliance incase of civil war." responded Dagobert
    "In case of war or internal strife we will support you but we ned some money in exchange for fighting these expensive wars".
    "Sure we can do that" replied Dagobert "I will just need to discuss your terms with Clovis"
    As soon as the envoy left Bertrand began to think These Merovingians are pretty clever trying to expand their power question is will supporting them help expand my power or am I digging my own grave?

Last edited:
    reader mode
  • Bathild was starting to get nervous the people of Austrasia where getting frustrated over a lack of Government apart from a foreigner and a king who was back in Nuestria. So eventually she let the election for Mayor of the Palace commence. Luckily the death of Grimoald had weakened the Pippinids and a man named Ansegisel* became the new Mayor of the Austrasian Palace. He was married into the Pippinids so Bathild decided to ignore the issue and report the election results to Clovis.
    Dear Clovis
    The elections have commenced, I tried to delay it but the people wanted someone to do something. The Pippinids have lost but Ansegisel P was elected. I'm not sure how this is going to end but I nevertheless felt like I should inform you on the current situation.]

When Clovis II heard the letter he was disappointed he was hoping to delay the elections further but it was clear he would need to return to Austrasia and meet with the new mayor. He decided to send another envoy to Bernard explaining that the negotiations would have to wait until he had met up with the new mayor and concluded how things would go. He also left his son Childeric in Neustria along with a subtle reminder that he would be back once he took care of a few things.
    *He is the father of Charles Martel

Here is a painting of Clovis II
    Clovis II.jpeg

reader mode
  • Clovis had reached Metz the capital of Austrasia and where his wife and firstborn son were. He was ready to meet the new Mayor. "Greetings my king this is your new Mayor of the Palace in Austrasia". "Pleasure to meet you" said Clovis "I trust that your election is a sign of your capability and dedication". Ansegisel could tell that Clovis was reading the room wondering what to think of him but now was not the time to try anything funny. "Thank you my king I am honored to have been picked for this position and I seek nothing ore than to prove myself" Clovis paused for a short while then replied "Thats great-oh one more thing make sure that no revolts happen I trust you will manage that". "Of course any threat to our power will be dealt with". the Mayor replied. "Thats great" said Clovis "Anyway I might be seeing myself out some matters in Neustria have followed my here".

Ansegisel is the grandfather of Charles Martel not his father sorry for the misinformation
    also we have reached the year 657 a.d

Last edited:
    reader mode
  • Clovis entered a room with his advisors about what to do the news was shocking. "If the Frisian have invaded northern Neustria they will either try to attack a bunch of small villages or besiege a fortified settlement" said Theudebert one of his commanders. "That will depend on the army size" responded Clovis we should be able to tell by the size their intention if its some raiders then it won't be as big compared to if they wanted to sack an entire city. " I have a plan take most of the cavalry and try to harass them and pick off smaller detachments". Once I have raised an army I will be able to meet them in the open fields and push those pagans back to wear they belong."
    "I am sorry I had to cut this time short" whispered Clovis to his wife. "Its okay our son is fine and the people are happy. A while later Clovis and his entourage left Metz(the capital of Austrasia) and began to make the trek back towards Neustria.
    Soon they had crossed the border and were getting news of a small Frisian contingent nearby so they made camp and planned an ambush. Clovis was getting more agitated they were close to the enemy and they could not agree on a single strategy eventually he couldn't take it anymore "Enough! I see you can't agree on anything with all your petty squabbles so as king I will take matters into my own hands from those unable to make up their minds." "I will take the archers and slowly bombard their encampments Childebert (a nobleman and childhood friend) once I am done you take the infantry and rush in scattering the survivors" That night they surrounded they Frisian camp bombarded them with arrows and sent the infantry under Childeric finished them off. With this minor victory Clovis marched to Tournai where he planned to strike another blow to the Frisian raiders.

reader mode
  • 657 ad Arras
    Now safely in Neustria Clovis met up with the army that had been assembled by Erchinoald (his mayor of the palace) had assembled they were under the command of an officer named Charibert who had raised some levy's on the way. Together they attacked and defeated a large force of Frisians near Tournai using their better infantry to fend off the Frisians culminating in a cavalry charge that sent them into a route. With this victory Clovis began to think that he might be able to chase the remaining Frisians out of Neustria by the end of the campaigning season but then he received word of another large group of Frisians heading towards Cambray so he forced marched his army towards towards the city and crushed the smaller army. Afterwards he went to Soissons and sent diplomats back to Aquitaine to resume negotiations with Bertrand. Speaking of Bertrand
    Toulouse was quiet Bertrand never really liked the quiet maybe it was paranoia maybe it was his extortive personality but whatever was the case he decided to do something. One day he causally announced that he wanted to construct a navy so he could control the Bay of Biscay so they Ducal court packed their things and went to the Bordeaux to start the construction of a fleet. After a somewhat long journey they arrived and Bertrand began with his plans to connect Aquitaine using the rivers that ran through it. Meanwhile Bertrand had finally received diplomats from Clovis. "Clovis accepts your terms but he will also need your to send over a gift to affirm the new relations". "Sure" said Betrand after the envoys had had left he wrote something down on a piece of paper and brought to his room before leaving on a hunting trip.

reader mode
  • 657 ad Northern Frisia
    Pepin* son of Ansegisel watched as the Frisian army army huddled around campfires not knowing that they were being watched. He gripped his sword ready for the clash then he heard someone bellow their horn and he charged into the enemy camp his father had been right to suggest he lead the campaign into enemy territory while the king was leading armies in Neustria where the Frisians where Focusing their efforts. Pepin was a well seasoned commander so very few objected to his appointment. With the Kings son Chlothar only five his mother might be able to hold some influence in the state but she couldn't lead armies herself. He rushed towards a Frisian and stabbed him then he pulled up his shield to protect himself from another one until that one had been hit by a Frankish arrow and he was free to continue his attack on the Frisian camp. Soon the tents were on fire which only added to the overall confusion. Pepin's forces pressed the attack, their relentless assault driving the Frisians into disarray. As dawn approached, the Frisian camp lay in ruins, its defenders routed and scattered. Pepin and his men stood amidst the debris, their victory hard-fought and well-deserved. The first rays of sunlight pierced through the dissipating clouds, illuminating the aftermath of their triumph. Pepin made his way to the center of the camp the night attack had been a success had with that more glory to his family.

*he is the father of Charles Martel

reader mode
  • After defeating the last Frisians who were ravaging Neustria* Clovis now back in Paris decided to turn his attention back to the British Isles he had heard of a king who had united most of the Isles around his banner rumors that and decided to send some envoys to go see the full scope of the situation and see if it might undermine his plan of influence.
    A few moths later two envoys arrived in the court of the Kentish king Eomenric and his Frankish bride Bertha (daughter of Frankish king Charibert I) who welcomed them and told them about what had been happening. Oswiu king of Northumberland had conquered Mercia and become the hegemon of the British Isles expect for the land up north where the Picts dwell. He also Informed them that Oswiu had forced most of Mercia to become Christian and had baptized king Sigeberht of Essex and this pleased to envoys who went back
    *Most wanted to go home after hearing about Pepin's punitive raid into Frisia after the night attack.

reader mode
  • Sorry Its been a while I have midterm exams
    Pepin had returned to the capital after his raid into Frisia where he was greeted by his father Ansegisel "you have proved yourself a warrior but more importantly you have proved yourself as my son". As they were celebrating Balthild was talking with one of her servants "I've been here (Astrasia) long enough I want to go back to to Neustria where my Husband is" the servant was pretty understanding seeing as she had been treated worse by the Astrasian nobility and to everyone around her they could tell that she wanted to leave. So they servant began "as you are the Queen once you leave you will be able to meet up with your husband. "I cannot handle government affairs and I want some quiet in my life to raise my sons" Soon the servants had begun packing meanwhile one of them got a pen and paper and began writing
    For Clovis II
    We are heading back toward Neustria and and should arrive in Paris in a few days once their we can send some administrators back to Metz to cool some heads. Once back in Neustria we can focus back to the more important issues. Once their we can head towards Soissons, connect with our allies, and stick together

reader mode
  • Clovis decided something should be done but what exactly needed or should be done he was not sure. His beloved Anglo-Saxon wife had arrived in Paris with his son Chlothar. Though Neustria was doing perfect Astrasia was getting more separated without much royal authority while the Mayor of the Palace Ansegisel starts gaining power and is forcing him to focus on that front while the lombards are becoming more of a problem. So he sent some administrators to Metz as well as Theudebert to guard the borders with the Frisians and inspire personal loyalty. Then he relocated to the city of Soissons which was close enough to Astrasia for him to get news quickly. It also would also help reduce tensions after news of the royal family's flight from Metz.
    Meanwhile the two envoys had arrived back in Soissons and relayed what they had learned Clovis thought for a while and decided to wait and see what happens next. He was more interested in keeping the Frankish realm united so he decided to just keep tabs on the situation. He decided to build some forts where Neustria borders the Frisians for some added stability. With that done he decided to focus on finalizing the terms Bertrand had asked for which would conclude their alliance.

reader mode
  • Receswinth was not sure what to think of the new alliance between Aquitaine and Frankia but the last thing he wanted to do was to create a conflict of which he would probably loose. So he decided to wait and see how things turned out and not to rush into anything he might regret. He had decided to create a navy though in case he might need to capture Tangier or the Balearic islands for the Byzantines though it would be harder since the emperor Constans II was focusing more on his western territories.
    Elsewhere Clovis was thinking more about Asturias Ansegisel was not close enough to the type of power Grimoald had but he was just nervous especially since he had named his son Pepin after his father-in-law (who was Grimoald's father) while it might have been a popularity move it still wasn't something Clovis was on board with but with nothing to base his claims off he would have to wait like a snake in the grass and see what would happen next. Pepin had returned from Frisia with the mantel of military victory and was well liked by the people of Astrasia. Clovis decided maybe it was time to make a war a bit closer to Neustria or Burgundy. It would also test to see how his alliance with Bernard would play out for better or for worse Clovis would take his army somewhere.

Last edited:
    reader mode
  • After a few more years of relative peace war arrived tensions between the Franks and Lombards had always been sour at best and they had tried to invade Italy previously after allying with the Byzantine Empire. The Lombard king Perctarit needed help against his brother Godepert who was an Arian in exchange he would grant Clovis the region of Turin. Clovis took action he and and army of 12,000 men arrived in Provence and swept away a few border fortresses before advancing toward Novara where he met up with Perctarit. Meanwhile Godepert was trying to rally in army in Tuscany after an inconclusive battle with his brothers supporters when he heard of his brothers alliance he rushed forward to Pavia. Soon the army of Clovis and Pertarit arrived Godepert decided to leave the city but got lost during the night and returned. Soon the two kings ordered a storm assualt which took the city. During the ensuing sack of Pavia Godepert was killed by a Frankish soldier who mistook him for rich Lombard nobleman. Afterwards the Franks laiden with loot left Italy with plunder in hand.
    While all of this was happening Bernard died and was succeeded by a nobleman named Felix

reader mode
  • In 562 Clovis II died after taking the throne at the young age of six he had grown into a competent king who had spread Frankish influence near and far. As was Merovingian tradition he split the throne between his sons Theuderic III his youngest son received Neustria, Chlothar III his eldest son received Burgundy and Childeric II his middle son received Astrasia. Chlothar convinced by his advisors tho take initiative decided to attack the lombards, as his fathers ally Perctarit had once again gotten deposed this tome by the duke of Benevento Grimoald* so with troops from Neustria sent by Theuderic III and some money from Constanstantinople, Chrodbert (the Burgundian Mayor of the Palace) marched into Italy. Unfortunately Turin which had been straffing under Frankish rule had surrendered to the Lombards. In response Chrodbert sent a cavalry contingent from Neustria (that he didn't fully trust) to attack Vercelli which was a crucial junction between Pavia (the capital) and Turin. Grimoald sent a force to retake the city and the Neustrians fled in order to avoid a drawn out siege. Their leader Amalric decided to compensate by destroying some villages between Vercelli and Turin but this just made the local populace turn against the Franks and the cavalry had to return to the Frankish camp seeing the situation as bad Chrodbert decided to retreat back into Burgundy and wait out the winter or else be encircled in what was now hostile territory.
    *In OTL he overthrew Perctarit in 671 but I want it to happen a bit earlier in order to start a war.
    Edit: Sorry I have been away for so long

Last edited:
    reader mode
  • Constans II looked west, he though of Justinian the emperor who had restored Italy and Africa to Roman rule, he thought of his grandfather Heraclius who had saved the empire from the Sassanids and had been hailed as "The new Scipio" but had lost Syria and Egypt to the Arabs. He watched the sun slowly set and he new it was his turn to do something amazing. News had reached him while in Athens of the Franks fighting with the lombards now was his moment and he knew he wouldn't waste it.

reader mode
  • Ebroin* sat before the council of Neustria attended by many of the late kings companions, a few nobles they had been spending the last half hour discussing how they should handle the war. Bathild the Queen regent had left for Chalon-sur-Saône (the capital of Burgundy) to take control of things while most of the nobility were fighting the lombards. Normally a war like this wouldn't much bother the Neustrians but the possibly for Ebroin to become Mayor the the palaces of both Neustria and Burgundy (or at least install a puppet in Burgundy). But he would have to wait until something would happen that he could take advantage of without looking like an aggressor.
    Meanwhile Bathild had finally arrived in Chalon-sur-Saône and with most of the members of the court having left she could finally stand between her son and those who wanted to take advantage of him. She knew that if she could keep him from becoming a puppet she would fulfill her beloved husbands last wishes. She just needed to keep her firstborn son alive long enough for him to be able to assert her control and them maybe she would be able to sleep easily again. But for now she could content herself with having defacto over Burgundy while allying with some of the minor nobility.
    *The New Neustrian Mayor of the Palace and will play and important role there

Last edited:
    reader mode
  • Constans II advanced towards the city of Benevento his army was in high spirits Grimoald had only been able to send 2,000 reinforcements to his son in Benevento due to the conflict with the Franks his march from Taranto had been a swift one with his thematic troops he had headed straight for the capital before much could be done. The haste however meant that they had very few siege engines and it would take a while to set it up in the meantime his troops had almost finished digging a ditch around the city soon the city would surrender. Earlier they had managed to take the city of Lucera in Apulia by a quick assault but here it was a much larger city with a large garrison. Constans was thinking about that siege when a band of riders arrived "emperor of the romans" their leader said upon dismounting "I am Dagobert sending you the best wishes from our king Chlothar III we have recently heard of your invasion and it pleases us to see you fighting our common enemy especially after your contributions to our war chests" Constans turned to one of his advisors "Get this men some food and a place to rest, its getting dark".

reader mode
  • It had taken a while for Chrodebert to reorganize his forces after being driven out by Grimoald but once the campaigning season started he had been able to rally lombards loyal to Perctarit which had swelled his forces to 15,000 which allowed him to retake Turin and Vercelli but them forced marched his army north towards Milan. Once their he had a position where he could march south towards Pavia but Grimoald decided to flee across the river Po and leave a garrison in Pavia. That was where Chrodbert was besieging the city while Perctarit took some northern cities like Bergamo and Novaro. Soon an idea popped into his head and he sent a messenger claiming that Grimoald had fled to Benevento to fight the Romans which surprisingly worked and allowed Pavia to be taken he still had to deal with the duke of Friuli Lupus who had garrisoned several cities which would take a while the take one by one. Ironically when Grimoald herd the news that Pavia had fallen allowing the Franks to seize the capital and cross to Po river he ended up fleeing south to Benevento to link up with his son and hopefully hold on to whatever lands he could luckily he still had to duke of Spoleto, Theodelap on his side with would come in handy fighting against the Romans.
    Meanwhile Constans II had decided to withdraw from Benevento due to a lack of suplies and Grimoald aproaching but not willing to give up he decided to siege Salerno which was only 31 miles (50 km) from Naples and half that distance to Amalfi and would only takes a days ride if you were on horseback. He had also heard reports that Rudebert was coming to relive the siege but he was in a better position this time and was not in the middle of enemy territory and had a steady line of retreat if the worse case scenario happened.

Last edited:
    reader mode
  • Chrodebert had a tough time besieging each castle on his way to Friuli a few cities like Brescia had surrendered but he had two cities on the way to Friuli that would be tough nuts to crack. First they headed to Verona which would the more fortified of the two cities after a few frontal assaults they decided to starve the defenders out and they set up their army in a defensive position while Meanwhile the Avars seeing the situation invading Friuli claiming to be allies of Perctarit but slaughtering indiscriminately the capital of Friuli, Cividale fell quickly and was sacked by the nomads. The city of Verona upon hearing of the situation immediately surrendered to the Franks and was promised by Perctarit that they would be treated kindly for their peaceful surrender.
    Meanwhile the Avars passed by the city of Vicenza (who payed a large amount of gold and silver in order to not be destroyed). Lupus along with 500 cavalry were caught trying to flee to the Byzantine exarch of Ravenna and were massacred by their faster moving horsemen. By July most of central Veneto had been set ablaze alongside Friuli. Upon reaching the Po river they were met with Byzantine fortifications and decided to turn around and head home looting any city that had not yet escaped their wrath or forcing them to pay tribute. Perctarit was angry at the damage caused by the Avar invasion but with one of his rivals dead and the other heading down south out of the way he thanked Chrodebert and the rest of the Franks for their service and waved goodbye as they set out for home. On the other side of Italy Constans II was doing well besieging Salerno despite constant harassment by a smaller army und er Mitola prince of Capua but eventually after loosing quite a few men trying to break the Byzantine fortifications he was forced to retreat and as a result the city surrendered the next day. Following that victory Constans decided to head north hearing about the Avar invasion, thinking this was a sign of weakness Mitola now aided by Romualdo attack the army now lead by a general named Saburro wear the veterans of Constans II pushed back the lombards who fled to Capua. Meanwhile Constans II arrived in Rome where he was greeted the Pope Vitalian who was a rival of a previous Pope (Martin I) who had gotten deposed by Constans. During his stay the emperor (who respected the city very much) was sent reports by Theodore Callipas about the sudden retreat of the Avars near to Po river and arrival of Lombard refugees in the coastal towns. He then returned South and defeated the lombabrds again in battle wear Grimoald was killed and a treaty made forcing the duchy of Benevento to pay tribute to the Emperors in Constantinople and pay half of the war reparations. Why Constans sailed from Naples to Messina receiving a hero's welcome.