The Children of Clovis a Merovingian TL

reader mode
In this timeline the Merovingian rulers are able to maintain relative over Francia and stop the greedy Mayors of the Palace and bring stability to their realm.

Clovis II watched Grimoald the former Mayor of the Palace get dragged away to his execution "rotten wrench" he thought. He had dethroned his nephew the king of Austrasia, forced him into a monastery and placed a pretender Childebert on the throne but at the head of his army he had defeated and killed the pretender in battle while Grimoald had been captured and Clovis placed his son Chlothar III on the Austrasian throne as his representative and things seemed to be good but back in Nuestria he couldn't help but worry about his sons safety so he pinned a short letter to his wife who was their sons regent.

I hope this letter finds you in good health and high spirits. I write to you today with a proposal that I believe will greatly benefit both our positions and the stability of our beloved Frankish kingdom.

As the Merovingian king, it is my duty to ensure the unity and well-being of our realm. Recent events have shown that the position of the Mayor of the Palace holds significant influence and control over the affairs of the kingdom. It is with this understanding that I wish to discuss a plan to gain a measure of control over the Mayor of the Palace, as a means to strengthen the authority of the Merovingian dynasty.

As the messenger left Clovis new that this was his chance to stop him and his descendants from being pawns of scheming eunuch's and Mayors of the Palaces.

In OTL Clovis II died after defeating Grimoald and Childebert but in this TL he lives longer and is able to pass some much needed reforms.

Last edited:
In this timeline the Merovingian rulers are able to maintain relative over Francia and stop the greedy Mayors of the Palace and bring stability to their realm.

Clovis II watched Grimoald the former Mayor of the Palace get dragged away to his execution "rotten wrench" he thought. He had dethroned his nephew the king of Austrasia, forced him into a monastery and placed a pretender Childebert on the throne but at the head of his army he had defeated and killed the pretender in battle while Grimoald had been captured and Clovis placed his son Chlotar III on the Austrasian throne and things seemed to be good but back in Neustria he couldn't help but worry about his sons safety so he pinned a short letter to his wife who was their sons regent.

I hope this letter finds you in good health and high spirits. I write to you today with a proposal that I believe will greatly benefit both our positions and the stability of our beloved Frankish kingdom.

As the Merovingian king, it is my duty to ensure the unity and well-being of our realm. Recent events have shown that the position of the Mayor of the Palace holds significant influence and control over the affairs of the kingdom. It is with this understanding that I wish to discuss a plan to gain a measure of control over the Mayor of the Palace, as a means to strengthen the authority of the Merovingian dynasty.

As the messenger left Clovis new that this was his chance to stop him and his descendents from being pawns of scheming eunuch's and Mayors of the Palaces.

In OTL Clovis II died after defeating Grimoald and Childebert but in this TL he lives longer and is able to pass some much needed reforms.

I am interested in this story, there are few early medieval TLs ( mainly they revolve around the late Carolingians or Byzantium ) furthermore the butterflies will be very important, given that the weakness of the Merovingian kings in this period notoriously cost the Franks full control over the Germanic populations beyond the Rhine, ( later re-established with difficulty by Charles Martel )
which allowed the Saxons and Lombards to then become a serious threat / competitors to the control of the region, also the political influence on the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms ( particularly in Kent ) gradually waned, returning briefly only when there was a vaguely competent sovereign or palace mayor

I am interested in this story, there are few early medieval TLs ( mainly they revolve around the late Carolingians or Byzantium ) furthermore the butterflies will be very important, given that the weakness of the Merovingian kings in this period notoriously cost the Franks full control over the Germanic populations beyond the Rhine, ( later re-established with difficulty by Charles Martel )
which allowed the Saxons and Lombards to then become a serious threat / competitors to the control of the region, also the political influence on the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms ( particularly in Kent ) gradually waned, returning briefly only when there was a vaguely competent sovereign or palace mayor

Intresting. Just wondering would stronger Merovingians help make Córdoba stronger assuming that Muslims can still defeat Visigoths. Reconquista in Iberia might even end centuries earlier.

Intresting. Just wondering would stronger Merovingians help make Córdoba stronger assuming that Muslims can still defeat Visigoths. Reconquista in Iberia might even end centuries earlier.

hardly, the Merovingian kings like their Carolingian successors had important interests in Aquitaine and Septimia therefore they would have been immediately ready to take over in a power vacuum created by the fall of the Visigoths, ndeed, being the most Romanized kingdom in Europe ( with some laws derived directly from the late imperial administration, which in the last decades of Merovingian weakness were set aside OTL) they would be even more incentivized to intervene especially if this gives them greater legitimacy as defenders of the church ( the alliance between the papacy and the Franks and in the background the Byzantines already existed since around 590 anti-Lombard and Visigothic function ( Rome still had bases in the south of the Iberian peninsula ) indeed stronger Merovingians can indirectly help Byzantium in its fight against the Arabs since they would not have to worry about maintaining more troops to defend secondary fronts : see the Exarchate of Ravenna or in Iberia and in minor measure against the Slavs , because their local enemies would potentially be kept at bay by the first

furthermore, a Frankia that goes through fewer civil wars also means a greater reserve of free mens ( they also speak a Latin dialect ) to be used to solidify real control beyond the Rhine, in particular along Friesland and Swabia ( areas that are strategically placed for quickly strike the enemies of the Franks : Saxons and Bavarians in Germany and provide easy access to the Alpine passes ( Swabia in particular, which controls the road to one and allows you to penetrate the Bavarian heartland to easily get to the Brenner Pass )

Last edited:
reader mode
Clovis felt secure on his throne but for how long? What he needed was peace and stability to consolidate power so he began a search for allies so he sent some envoys across the channel to see if he could improve relations with his wife's people. The Anglo-Saxons were not that useful but they would likely accept his offer to counter in order to stop the Mercians but he would have to wait to find out.
He knew he just needed a way to secure power in the long-term so he realized who he could ally with that would be beneficial

Dagobert (the envoy) arrived in Toulouse, Aquitaine was a thorn in their side but they would be useful in war.
"What brings you here" said the Betrand the current ruler, "I come on behalf of Clovis II he wants in alliance incase of civil war." responded Dagobert
"In case of war or internal strife we will support you but we ned some money in exchange for fighting these expensive wars".
"Sure we can do that" replied Dagobert "I will just need to discuss your terms with Clovis"
As soon as the envoy left Bertrand began to think These Merovingians are pretty clever trying to expand their power question is will supporting them help expand my power or am I digging my own grave?

Last edited:
Clovis felt secure on his throne but for how long? What he needed was peace and stability to consolidate power so he began a search for allies so he sent some envoys across the channel to see if he could improve relations with his wife's people. The Anglo-Saxons were not that useful but they would likely accept his offer to counter in order to stop the Mercians but he would have to wait to find out.
He knew he just needed a way to secure power in the long-term so he realized who he could ally with that would be beneficial

Dagobert (the envoy) arrived in Toulouse, Aquitaine was a thorn in their side but they would be useful in war.
"What brings you here" said the Bernard the current ruler, "I come on behalf of Clovis II he wants in alliance incase of civil war." responded Dagobert
"In case of war or internal strife we will support you but we ned some money in exchange for fighting these expensive wars".
"Sure we can do that" replied Dagobert "I will just need to discuss your terms with Clovis"
As soon as the envoy left Bernard began to think These Merovingians are pretty clever trying to expand their power question is will supporting them help expand my power or am I digging my own grave?

this alliance is very interesting, actually for Aquitaine the question of allying itself or not with Clovis II is very important, since he controls both the kingdom of Burgundy and Neustria ( therefore in practice it surrounds Bernard's dominions ) on the other it can be a useful ally against the Visigoths ( common enemy ) excellent idea to send emissaries to England, given that thanks to Kent ( territory nominally controlled by pro-Frankish monarchs ) they can heavily influence the region, rather than what is happening in Austrasia ? given that Otl in 656, Sigebert III died, and Grimoald ( his palace butler ) proclaimed as king, his own son, Childebert ( known as the Adopted ), while the legitimate son that Sigebert III, Dagobert II he was tonsured and sent to a Scottish monastery, causing a rebellion among the Austrasian nobility that then allowed Clovis II to briefly become sole king of the Franks

reader mode
Bathild was starting to get nervous the people of Austrasia where getting frustrated over a lack of Government apart from a foreigner and a king who was back in Nuestria. So eventually she let the election for Mayor of the Palace commence. Luckily the death of Grimoald had weakened the Pippinids and a man named Ansegisel* became the new Mayor of the Austrasian Palace. He was married into the Pippinids so Bathild decided to ignore the issue and report the election results to Clovis.
Dear Clovis
The elections have commenced, I tried to delay it but the people wanted someone to do something. The Pippinids have lost but Ansegisel P was elected. I'm not sure how this is going to end but I nevertheless felt like I should inform you on the current situation.]

When Clovis II heard the letter he was disappointed he was hoping to delay the elections further but it was clear he would need to return to Austrasia and meet with the new mayor. He decided to send another envoy to Bernard explaining that the negotiations would have to wait until he had met up with the new mayor and concluded how things would go. He also left his son Childeric in Neustria along with a subtle reminder that he would be back once he took care of a few things.
*He is the father of Charles Martel

Here is a painting of Clovis II
Clovis II.jpeg

Bathild was starting to get nervous the people of Austrasia where getting frustrated over a lack of Government apart from a foreigner and a king who was back in Nuestria. So eventually she let the election for Mayor of the Palace commence. Luckily the death of Grimoald had weakened the Pippinids and a man named Ansegisel* became the new Mayor of the Austrasian Palace. He was married into the Pippinids so Bathild decided to ignore the issue and report the election results to Clovis.
Dear Clovis
The elections have commenced, I tried to delay it but the people wanted someone to do something. The Pippinids have lost but Ansegisel P was elected. I'm not sure how this is going to end but I nevertheless felt like I should inform you on the current situation.]

When Clovis II heard the letter he was disappointed he was hoping to delay the elections further but it was clear he would need to return to Austrasia and meet with the new mayor. He decided to send another envoy to Bernard explaining that the negotiations would have to wait until he had met up with the new mayor and concluded how things would go. He also left his son Childeric in Neustria along with a subtle reminder that he would be back once he took care of a few things.
*He is the father of Charles Martel

Here is a painting of Clovis IIView attachment 864582

Oh finally we see a glimpse of what is happening in Austrasia, and it looks like the situation in that region is about to get very interesting ( I particularly look forward to reading about the meeting between the kings and Charles Martel's father )

PS
the painting on Clovis II is very beautiful

Uniting Neustria and Austrasia is a big deal, all of clovis' neighbors are probably getting pretty nervous. The ERE is probably interested in paying him to keep the lombards off Ravenna's back, though they might be too distracted with the Muslims and slavs invading from South and North. Pretty sure, Penda is dead or just about to die so Oswy is or about to be the hegemon of the Anglo-saxons, and possibly the Welsh and Picts as well. This would a good situation to ally with one of the other Saxon kingdoms, wessex/gewisse or Mercia even, I would say Dumnonia or Gwynedd or one of the other briton kingdoms but they are very insular and not friendly with anyone.

Last edited:
Uniting Neustria and Austrasia is a big deal, all of clovis' neighbors are probably getting pretty nervous. The ERE is probably interested in paying him to keep the lombards off Ravenna's back, though they might be too distracted with the Muslims and slavs invading from South and North. Pretty sure, Penda is dead or just about to die so Oswy is or about to be the hegemon of the Anglo-saxons, and possibly the Welsh and Picts as well. This would a good situation to ally with one of the other Saxon kingdoms, wessex/gewisse or Mercia even, I would say Dumnonia or Gwynedd or one of the other briton kingdoms but they are very insular and not friendly with anyone.

very truthful, after all the alliance between papal Rome ( and also with the Exarchate at times ) and the Franks had already existed for at least a good 50 years, furthermore the Lombards often intervened in matters beyond the Alps in support of German populations with anti- frankish political aspirations ( which further exacerbated the enmity between the two kingdoms ), however absurd the situation may be, it cannot be ruled out that the Exarch of Ravenna or the emperor himself could seek ( in turn trying to bypass the Pope ) an alliance with the Franks ( perhaps also from the marital point of view ),
It will be interesting to see how Clovis reacts to developments across the channel, particularly if he believes the Frankish influence is potentially at risk

reader mode
Clovis had reached Metz the capital of Austrasia and where his wife and firstborn son were. He was ready to meet the new Mayor. "Greetings my king this is your new Mayor of the Palace in Austrasia". "Pleasure to meet you" said Clovis "I trust that your election is a sign of your capability and dedication". Ansegisel could tell that Clovis was reading the room wondering what to think of him but now was not the time to try anything funny. "Thank you my king I am honored to have been picked for this position and I seek nothing ore than to prove myself" Clovis paused for a short while then replied "Thats great-oh one more thing make sure that no revolts happen I trust you will manage that". "Of course any threat to our power will be dealt with". the Mayor replied. "Thats great" said Clovis "Anyway I might be seeing myself out some matters in Neustria have followed my here".

Ansegisel is the grandfather of Charles Martel not his father sorry for the misinformation
also we have reached the year 657 a.d

Last edited:
reader mode
Clovis entered a room with his advisors about what to do the news was shocking. "If the Frisian have invaded northern Neustria they will either try to attack a bunch of small villages or besiege a fortified settlement" said Theudebert one of his commanders. "That will depend on the army size" responded Clovis we should be able to tell by the size their intention if its some raiders then it won't be as big compared to if they wanted to sack an entire city. " I have a plan take most of the cavalry and try to harass them and pick off smaller detachments". Once I have raised an army I will be able to meet them in the open fields and push those pagans back to wear they belong."
"I am sorry I had to cut this time short" whispered Clovis to his wife. "Its okay our son is fine and the people are happy. A while later Clovis and his entourage left Metz(the capital of Austrasia) and began to make the trek back towards Neustria.
Soon they had crossed the border and were getting news of a small Frisian contingent nearby so they made camp and planned an ambush. Clovis was getting more agitated they were close to the enemy and they could not agree on a single strategy eventually he couldn't take it anymore "Enough! I see you can't agree on anything with all your petty squabbles so as king I will take matters into my own hands from those unable to make up their minds." "I will take the archers and slowly bombard their encampments Childebert (a nobleman and childhood friend) once I am done you take the infantry and rush in scattering the survivors" That night they surrounded they Frisian camp bombarded them with arrows and sent the infantry under Childeric finished them off. With this minor victory Clovis marched to Tournai where he planned to strike another blow to the Frisian raiders.

The Low Countries are going through a period of flooding at this point, right? Or am I thinking about a different time period? If so the Franks have got this in the bag

reader mode
657 ad Arras
Now safely in Neustria Clovis met up with the army that had been assembled by Erchinoald (his mayor of the palace) had assembled they were under the command of an officer named Charibert who had raised some levy's on the way. Together they attacked and defeated a large force of Frisians near Tournai using their better infantry to fend off the Frisians culminating in a cavalry charge that sent them into a route. With this victory Clovis began to think that he might be able to chase the remaining Frisians out of Neustria by the end of the campaigning season but then he received word of another large group of Frisians heading towards Cambray so he forced marched his army towards towards the city and crushed the smaller army. Afterwards he went to Soissons and sent diplomats back to Aquitaine to resume negotiations with Bertrand. Speaking of Bertrand
Toulouse was quiet Bertrand never really liked the quiet maybe it was paranoia maybe it was his extortive personality but whatever was the case he decided to do something. One day he causally announced that he wanted to construct a navy so he could control the Bay of Biscay so they Ducal court packed their things and went to the Bordeaux to start the construction of a fleet. After a somewhat long journey they arrived and Bertrand began with his plans to connect Aquitaine using the rivers that ran through it. Meanwhile Bertrand had finally received diplomats from Clovis. "Clovis accepts your terms but he will also need your to send over a gift to affirm the new relations". "Sure" said Betrand after the envoys had had left he wrote something down on a piece of paper and brought to his room before leaving on a hunting trip.

reader mode
657 ad Northern Frisia
Pepin* son of Ansegisel watched as the Frisian army army huddled around campfires not knowing that they were being watched. He gripped his sword ready for the clash then he heard someone bellow their horn and he charged into the enemy camp his father had been right to suggest he lead the campaign into enemy territory while the king was leading armies in Neustria where the Frisians where Focusing their efforts. Pepin was a well seasoned commander so very few objected to his appointment. With the Kings son Chlothar only five his mother might be able to hold some influence in the state but she couldn't lead armies herself. He rushed towards a Frisian and stabbed him then he pulled up his shield to protect himself from another one until that one had been hit by a Frankish arrow and he was free to continue his attack on the Frisian camp. Soon the tents were on fire which only added to the overall confusion. Pepin's forces pressed the attack, their relentless assault driving the Frisians into disarray. As dawn approached, the Frisian camp lay in ruins, its defenders routed and scattered. Pepin and his men stood amidst the debris, their victory hard-fought and well-deserved. The first rays of sunlight pierced through the dissipating clouds, illuminating the aftermath of their triumph. Pepin made his way to the center of the camp the night attack had been a success had with that more glory to his family.

*he is the father of Charles Martel

657 ad Northern Frisia
Pepin* son of Ansegisel watched as the Frisian army army huddled around campfires not knowing that they were being watched. He gripped his sword ready for the clash then he heard someone bellow their horn and he charged into the enemy camp his father had been right to suggest he lead the campaign into enemy territory while the king was leading armies in Neustria where the Frisians where Focusing their efforts. Pepin was a well seasoned commander so very few objected to his appointment. With the Kings son Chlothar only five his mother might be able to hold some influence in the state but she couldn't lead armies herself. He rushed towards a Frisian and stabbed him then he pulled up his shield to protect himself from another one until that one had been hit by a Frankish arrow and he was free to continue his attack on the Frisian camp. Soon the tents were on fire which only added to the overall confusion. Pepin's forces pressed the attack, their relentless assault driving the Frisians into disarray. As dawn approached, the Frisian camp lay in ruins, its defenders routed and scattered. Pepin and his men stood amidst the debris, their victory hard-fought and well-deserved. The first rays of sunlight pierced through the dissipating clouds, illuminating the aftermath of their triumph. Pepin made his way to the center of the camp the night attack had been a success had with that more glory to his family.

*he is the father of Charles Martel

this focus on the campaign against the Frisians is very nice ( I also like how the Franks are achieving victories against them well in advance of Otl, where the first successful serious campaigns to conquer Frisia occurred between 689 and 708 ) , it will be interesting if this favors their faster integration within the Frankish culture, as well as creating a further point of conflict with the Saxons ( given the ties that the latter had with the Frisia ), so the question that follows is : will Clovis' next military campaign be against them, to try to re-establish control over the territories east of the Rhine ? " or there will be a look at Italy, given that Rome in this same year is under siege by the Lombard army of King Astolfo ?

the second entrance on the scene of Charles Martel's father is truly fantastic

Last edited: