Being from the UK it always surprised me how little railways other countries have...
One should take in mind how mountainous the Balkans and Anatolia are unlike Britain or France. Also the lack of major population centers outside the capital doesn't help much on developing said railroads.

I could see her just as easily not going to Greece in this timeline as I assumed it was the Wittelsbach connection that got her there in the first place.
That certainly makes sense. In that case, she probably went to Belgium for a time ITTL alongside King Otto and his regents. Whether she stayed there for long though, I won't say. If she did then she might have gotten roped up in the 1848 War between France and the Dutch-Prussian Alliance, but if she left before then, then I'd say she probably traveled around Europe and eventually settle down somewhere nice be it Greece, Italy, or somewhere in the Middle East like OTL.

Railroads in Epirus and western Greece were repeatedly planned in OTL, one is being planned even at present as a matter of fact. In OTL the economic costs of the Asia Minor disaster and then WW2 derailed the projects. The Ioannina-Thessaly part, roughly 100 km would had cost about 4 million pounds...
I think the Epirus line makes a lot of sense if you’re looking to connect that isolated region with the rest of the nation. It would help significantly with development in the area and would be an economic boon for most of western Greece. It also would have significant military value as it would be a logistical lifeline in the area in case of an invasion. It’s expensive and difficult but I can see the Greek government trying to pull it off. Especially if the can convince another nation to at least partial fund it as a good economic investment. Italy/Italian nations on the Ionian Sea might be interested in investing as a way to get their goods into central and eastern Greece without paying to use the Corinth canal

On a complete separate note, does anyone else think it’s weird Turkey doesn’t have a rail line to Antioch? That seems like something you’d want to have, it’s a major city.
I think the most reasonable railroad line in Epirus is what Lascaris did in his TL, meaning one connecting Thessaly to Ioannina and then Agioi Saranda/Sarande. As mentioned there were OTL plans.

The main reason behind an Epirus railroad will be a strategic one. First and foremost, the Army can reach Epirus quickly, even in the case of lacking naval dominance in the Ionian (hint: a Great Power intervening). So in terms of power projection, it is increased towards the west and north-west. Secondly, in case of war with the Ottomans in the Aegean, the Epirus Railroad can become one of the two "breathing tubes" of Greece, the other being the port of Patras and the Corinth Canal. In that case, both trade and purchased military material can flow through there. Lastly, in peacetime, there is always the chance that a part of the produce of greek Thessaly and ottoman Macedonia (e.g. cotton, tobacco) can be exported through Epirus, instead of having western-bound ships going all the way to Volos or Salonica. Especially when it comes to trade with Italy,
Very interesting!

I've been reading Lascaris' timeline since the beginning, but it totally slipped my mind that there might have been a historical basis for the Epirus railroad in his timeline. In that case, I retract my past statement.

Being from the UK it always surprised me how little railways other countries have...
I once found a nice gif on the evolution of French railways, we did have a lot of those.
EDIT: added the gif
Railway_map_of_France_-_animated_-_fr_-_medium.gif
One should take in mind how mountainous the Balkans and Anatolia are unlike Britain or France. Also the lack of major population centers outside the capital doesn't help much on developing said railroads.
Ironically, there are a decent number of rail lines in the United States despite the popular notion that we don't like public transportation here. That said, most of them are rather old and many of them located in the Eastern half of the country with railways becoming less common the further West you go.

Ironically, there are a decent number of rail lines in the United States despite the popular notion that we don't like public transportation here. That said, most of them are rather old and many of them located in the Eastern half of the country with railways becoming less common the further West you go.

There's actually more rail traffic today than there was during the golden age of rail in the late 19th and early 20th century - the issue the US has is that this is freight traffic and not passenger rail, and the passenger rail is undercut by freight being given prominence of place in scheduling (one reason that Amtrack often runs late: if a freighttrain is using the line, the passenger train is requested to pull over at a station and wait for the other to pass. It makes traveling by rail time consuming and hard to plan by)

Chapter 96: The End of the Beginning
Author's Note: I should preface this by saying this chapter is very different from what I usually write. I tend to write my parts in a top down style, taking the perspective of a historian analyzing events. Here I opted to look at these events from Diadochos Constantine's point of view as I felt the moment would be more poignant that way. I'm not the best at dialogue, but I hope you all enjoy this chapter as I'd like to do more of these in the future.

Chapter 96: The End of the Beginning

Mort_du_roi_L%C3%A9opold_Ier_de_Belgique_le_10_d%C3%A9cembre_1865.jpg

The Last Moments of King Leopold of Greece

Having weathered the fallout of his disastrous love affair with Fotini Mavromichalis, King Leopold of Greece and his advisors would begin strategizing for his eventual return to prominence in the Winter of 1863. However, he would find that he had lost much of the goodwill that he had strove so hard to build over the last 30 years. His sons despised him, his wife was distant towards him, the people were furious with him. Even his own supporters recommended that he refrain from making unnecessary public appearances for some time to allow animosity towards him to diminish.

Ever the cautious man, Leopold acquiesced and retreated to the confines of his lush palace for the next few months. His only escapes from this self-induced solitude were a number of letters to his family, friends, and political allies as well as a few public excursions to attend Mass on Easter Sunday and Pentecost. Meanwhile, his sons would take over most of his public duties, with Alexander overseeing that year’s Independence Day festivities, whilst Constantine sat in on meetings of the Cabinet, the General Staff, and Vouli in place of his father. Officially, the King’s absence from these events was given as some illness which laid him low, but all knew the truth. Leopold was ashamed, he was humiliated, and he dared not harm himself further at this time.

By the beginning of Autumn, public interest had turned away from the King’s love affairs to other, more important matters; namely those of the economy and foreign relations with the Turks, both of which were always tumultuous. Sensing that the time was right to formally begin rehabilitating his image, Leopold began making more and more appearances in public. Most of these outings would be for charitable purposes, giving alms to the poor, food to the hungry, and shelter to the homeless. Although never a truly pious man, Leopold began attending church weekly where he made sure to continually seek the absolution from his sins. Although no one can say how genuine these initiatives were, it would appear that his efforts were starting to make some inroads with the people. Sadly, it was not to be.

On the 21st of December 1863; King Leopold I of Greece was out making his rounds throughout Athens as he usually did. The weather was particularly cold that day and snow was seen falling in some places. He dispensed with whatever coin he had on hand, giving it to the needy as he went. He even parted with his great coat which he donated to a freezing beggar in threadbare rags. As his company made their way through the streets, he encountered Fotini Mavromichalis’ brother Petros, her uncle Georgios, and a number of their Maniot followers. Although the meeting started well enough given recent events, their conversation soon grew heated as shouts and implied threats were hurled at Leopold. Though he attempted to press onward stoically, Leopold's blank expression soon turned that of a pained grimace as he began clutching at his chest and gasping for air. After a few staggered steps, he collapsed.

Panic immediately gripped his attendants who quickly rushed to their king, finding him in a terrible state. Despite the cold he was sweating immensely, his speech was slurred, and he was gripped with a horrible fever. Frantic, some men tried carrying Leopold back to the Palace upon their shoulders with all the speed they could muster, only to stop as his condition continued to deteriorate. Even the Mavromichali men feared for the King and rushed away in search of help, returning moments later with some Gendarmeries and a doctor to tend to the King. Setting him down, the doctor quickly treated him for shock, wrapped him in warm blankets, and provided him with water to quench his parched lips. Eventually, a litter would be prepared for the King, and he would be placed upon it ever so gently, where upon he was carefully carried back to his home. Over the ensuing two weeks King Leopold would drift in and out of consciousness, his constitution continuing to decline.

It was clear to all that he was dying.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
The 3rd of January 1864
The Royal Palace in Athens

Diadochos Constantine sat outside his father’s chambers. At first, he did not believe it. He did not want to believe it. He refused to believe it. The old man, his father was dying. He had been sick before, deathly ill at times, yet he had recovered. He always recovered. So why was this time any different. Why now of all times. Why had not he chosen to die sooner, before this wretched scandal had emerged. Why not die later, after he had finished redeeming himself.

Why, why, why?!?

It didn’t matter anymore. The doctors said his father was dying and nothing could stop that now. Now here he was waiting outside his father’s personal chambers. Here to see him one last time before the end. Yet even still, he did not want to see him.

He hated him, he despised him, he abhorred him. And yet, he could not help but feel a tinge of sadness and regret. The man that lay dying in the other room was his father, his own flesh and blood. When he was still a beardless youth, he had hoped that he might reach some sort of understanding with his father, that some sort of accord could be reached between them. That they may make amends with each other and come to love one another as a father should his son and a son should his father. These were the foolish hopes of a child, yet even then he still hoped for it. Even now at the end of it all, he still hoped for it. Vainly and foolishly.

Now his father was dying and he hated him all the more for it as he had deprived him of any chance at reconciliation, any chance at love. The very though of this caused his breathing to quicken, his teeth to clench, his eyes to burn, and his hands to shake. He was becoming lost in his anger.

"Darling"

It was his wife, Anna

"Anna, I...I don't know what to do."

"It will be alright my Darling. You will be alright. We will be alright and no matter what happens, the children and I will always love you."

Grasping her husband’s trembling hands within her own, Anna cradled them and kissed them. Her words were soothing and her touch gentle. The sweet smile on her face calmed his fraying nerves and settled his boiling rage. Although they were not as close as he had wanted them to be, he still cherished his wife. She had borne him five beautiful children (two sons and three daughters) for which he was forever grateful. She was loyal and gentle and kind towards him when few had ever been so tender hearted. He endeavored never to treat her the way that his father had treated his own mother for his children deserved that much if nothing else.

Turning his gaze towards them, he saw his youngest, a son named Michael in the arms of his wet nurse cooing at everything that happened around him with such awe and wonder in his small blue eyes. Though he was little more than a newborn babe, he was already so aware, so bright.

Next, he turned to his daughters Maria, Elena, and Sophie. All three were charming young girls who delighted all who knew them, though he still had trouble connecting with them himself. Perhaps it was some sort of subconscious guilt that he had, having once desired sons instead of daughters. Even still, he still loved them in his own way and tried his best with them.

Yet it was his second child, his eldest son Constantine that brought him the greatest pride. He was barely seven years, yet he was different from himself in almost every way. Young Constantine was incredibly outgoing, striking up conversations with everyone about anything be they man, woman, or child. He was already quite tall for his age, with a crown of golden hair atop his head, and bright blue eyes lighting up his face. He had a great love for the outdoors and a zest for life. His son would make a fine King someday, of that Diadochos Constantine was sure.

After what seemed like an eternity of waiting, one of his father’s aides – a young officer finally opened the door and bid Constantine to enter with him. Though he was reluctant to do so, he understood what this moment meant. Constantine was there to bear witness to the King’s - his father’s last moments. Rising from his seat in the hall, he passed through the wooden doors into his father’s personal office, his wife and children following close behind.

He had dreaded this room in his youth as almost every week, young Constantine and his siblings would be ushered in here, before their domineering father. There, he would grade them on their ongoing education and training, rewarding them or punishing them as necessary.

First, he would wax poetically about sister Katherine’s great intellect and skill. A prodigy he called her. He often gifted her new books or dresses or dolls for her great efforts.

Next, he would adorn brother Alexander with accolades for his triumphs and trophies. Talented and strong was he, yet still possessing room for improvement.

Last, was Constantine, but for his eldest all Leopold offered was disappointment for his many failures and inadequacies. Average at best, his father called him. Perhaps he expected more from his eldest son and heir. Perhaps in his own way, it was an attempt at encouraging improvement. Instead, it only worsened their relationship and ruined his self-confidence. Once he was King, this room would be locked shut and never again would he enter it.

“Your Highness” A stern voice echoed out.

It was man from before, Major Vassos, his father’s aide de camp. He was a lean fellow, with a quizzical look upon his brow and a whimsical mustache above his lips. Constantine remembered him from the Academy, he was a few years behind him, in brother Alexander’s class if he recalled correctly.

They’re ready for you your Highness.” Major Vassos stated solemnly

Constantine nodded and after a moment’s pause to prepare himself, he and his family would enter Leopold’s bedchamber.

Inside he would find a finely decorated room, albeit in keeping with his father’s “distinct” tastes. The floor was made of marble which was mostly covered with a massive rug in various shades of blue. The walls were adorned with paintings, some of which depicted his vainglorious father in his youth. In the corner was a great armoire and beside it a giant mirror. Looking further, Constantine would see around thirty people scattered throughout the room, some sitting, others standing. He recognized most, a few were servants of his house, others were courtiers, and some were military men or politicians.

Prime Minister Constantine Kanaris was there, as was his Deputy Panos Kolokotronis and a number of their aides. Both men respected his father and though they had distanced themselves from him following his recent scandals, they still found it within themselves to be here at his end. Alongside them was Panos’ son and Diadochos Constantine’s companion, Theodoros. Tall and strong, he was a mountain of a man. They had been together since childhood, brothers in arms at the Academy and now he was here to pay his condolences to his friend and soon to be sovereign on the looming death of his father.

Lastly, he saw his mother and brother sitting beside the bed. Dread upon their faces and sadness in their eyes. Even after everything his father put her through, she was still here and had barely left his side since they had brought him back to the palace all those days ago. Tending to him, changing his sheets, and giving him wet sponges to drink from. She was too good for him.

Unable to avoid it any longer, Constantine now looked to the bed - his father’s bed where he saw his father. Yet what should have been his childhood tormentor – strong and proud, was instead a sickly old man - frail and weak. He had lost weight, a lot of weight. His breathing was heavy and labored. His eyes sunken and hollow. What was left of his hair was greying and withered. His face and hands were pale, and his bed sheets drenched in sweat. Every now and then whispers spewed forth from his parched lips, but what he said, Constantine could not understand.

Here he was, his oppressor, his tormentor lying broken before him and yet, instead of jubilation and triumph, Constantine felt …sadness? Pity? Did seeing his mighty father in this weakened state sadden him?

No!

Certainly not. That man deserved this agony, this suffering after all he had done to his family. All he had done to him! Yet no sooner had that thought come to mind, did he instantly regret it.

At this all his hate for his father vanished and in its place was sadness and regret.

Taking his seat beside his mother and brother, Constantine would look on in dazed silence as his father’s private chaplain, a middle aged priest named Nikos entered the room, an attendant by his side here to record every word that escaped his father’s lips. At a predetermined time, the Priest began reciting a number of prayers before making the sign of the cross. He offered the King his last rites and then beseeched him to make one last confession of his sins and to seek the forgiveness and mercy of the Savior Jesus Christ. With his condition as it was, Leopold just continued to murmur aimlessly; his once great mind having succumbed to delirium and rot. Finally, after a few more moments, his mind cleared, his strength returned and his arms shot forth, flailing desperately as he let forth one last cry.

“Cha…lotte.”

Charlotte?

Did he mean That Charlotte? His first wife from nearly 50 years before? The one he had loved with all his heart and all his soul. The one that had been snatched away from him in a cruel twist of fate.

Whoever she was, it mattered not, because no sooner had he uttered her name, did his strength finally fail him. His arms which reached vainly for the sky now fell limp to his sides. His labored breathing gradually slowed and then stopped completely. His listless eyes grew dark. At a little after two in the morning on the 4th of January, King Leopold of Greece was pronounced dead.

Dread and silence hung over the room for several lingering moments. Barely a soul in the room offered him any tears. There were no weeping women, no bawling children. There were only a few hushed comments by those in attendance and a few words of condolence to the now Dowager Queen Marie over the loss of her husband.

Soon, however, the stillness of the air was broken by one of Leopold’s courtiers who quietly mouthed some words. At first, Constantine couldn’t make out what he was saying. Then slowly, this chant was taken up by those in the room, one after the other. Louder and louder this hymn grew until everyone in the room was rising to sing it aloud. At this he finally understood what they were saying.

“God Save the King!”

“God Save the King!”

“God Save the King!”

Only Diadochos Constantine remained silent as a stream of tears poured down his cheeks.

Next Time: A Marble King

Last edited:
Good Chapter, not much actually happens, but we get good insight into the next King of Greece, who is probably going to flex the vague muscles the constitution gives him far more than his father.

Luckily, all he needs to do is be average. Greece is not in such a poor position that it needs a brilliant leader to succeed right now, just average leadership, with competent subordinates, should see good results. His son seems more likely to be "Constantine the Great", though I'm paranoid that he is going to die before ruling, or that his father will live to be like 90, and he won't rule for very long. Protect that prince at all costs!

About the different style of the chapter, it was nice to see! Your writing is pretty good, and especially good for someone who normally writes in the 'history book' style. I actually prefer this more 'human perspective' over the historian style timelines*, but there are some pitfalls.

Writing from people's perspective makes the story go much slower first of all. We've covered about 42 years so far I believe, over nearly 100 updates, so this is already a pretty slow paced timeline, especially in the first 30 or so updates, and during the Eurasian War. Going into personal perspectives would bog things down even further, and we would never get to the really good stuff (future Greco-Turkish wars, alt world wars, late 20th century boom). It also makes the story less plausible as authors will naturally gravitate towards their character being involved in as many important events as possible, performing personal heroics, and being overly successful. In a certain way, that is true of this current story, except the 'character' is Greece herself!

I think a good compromise would be doing a chapter of this style whenever a character who is going to be very very important who does not have a straight historical equivalent comes into prominence. Use that chapter to give us an insight into how this character thinks, their plans, goals, and fears.

For that reason I really like this chapter! We haven't needed a chapter like this very much before, because the majority of the movers and shakers were historical people with personalities that you could just look up in a history book. Getting to know Constantine better is wonderful for future chapters. Another character that would be appropriate would be the next king of Greece, a general during an important war, or a man who is going to become an extremely important prime minister (like Venizelos). Also make sure the character is greek or immediately relevant to Greece, like an Ottoman sultan I guess. While a chapter from Napoleon II's perspective would have been cool, it would also have been unnecessary and have hurt the overall narrative.

Finally, I recognize that next chapter title! The marble emperor, Constantine XI come again, to reclaim Constantinople for the Byzantine Empire. I had to learn a song about that in middle school! This implies the man will take the regnal name of Constantine XII, and want to reclaim the city. Quite a move indeed....

*This is also why I generally preferred the first section of the timeline during the war of independence, as it felt more personal.

I'm not usually one for narrative style like this. I more prefer the history book format. But, I feel this definitely added something. I think if you wanted to do more moments like this in the future they should be used sparingly.

I think the experiment went quite well. It made sense why we’d want a personal point of view for this event, you’re writing was great as always, and Constantine was consistent and sympathetic. So you definitely get an A for that portion. Feel free to do it again, I do think it can slow down timelines if you start focusing on POV’s to much thought. So just be wary of falling into that trap. Over all a good chapter

Last edited:
Good Chapter, not much actually happens, but we get good insight into the next King of Greece, who is probably going to flex the vague muscles the constitution gives him far more than his father.

Luckily, all he needs to do is be average. Greece is not in such a poor position that it needs a brilliant leader to succeed right now, just average leadership, with competent subordinates, should see good results. His son seems more likely to be "Constantine the Great", though I'm paranoid that he is going to die before ruling, or that his father will live to be like 90, and he won't rule for very long. Protect that prince at all costs!
What would ever give you that impression? I may be evil, but I'm not about to kill a child. :evilsmile: :biggrin:

About the different style of the chapter, it was nice to see! Your writing is pretty good, and especially good for someone who normally writes in the 'history book' style. I actually prefer this more 'human perspective' over the historian style timelines*, but there are some pitfalls.

Writing from people's perspective makes the story go much slower first of all. We've covered about 42 years so far I believe, over nearly 100 updates, so this is already a pretty slow paced timeline, especially in the first 30 or so updates, and during the Eurasian War. Going into personal perspectives would bog things down even further, and we would never get to the really good stuff (future Greco-Turkish wars, alt world wars, late 20th century boom). It also makes the story less plausible as authors will naturally gravitate towards their character being involved in as many important events as possible, performing personal heroics, and being overly successful. In a certain way, that is true of this current story, except the 'character' is Greece herself!

I think a good compromise would be doing a chapter of this style whenever a character who is going to be very very important who does not have a straight historical equivalent comes into prominence. Use that chapter to give us an insight into how this character thinks, their plans, goals, and fears.

For that reason I really like this chapter! We haven't needed a chapter like this very much before, because the majority of the movers and shakers were historical people with personalities that you could just look up in a history book. Getting to know Constantine better is wonderful for future chapters. Another character that would be appropriate would be the next king of Greece, a general during an important war, or a man who is going to become an extremely important prime minister (like Venizelos). Also make sure the character is greek or immediately relevant to Greece, like an Ottoman sultan I guess. While a chapter from Napoleon II's perspective would have been cool, it would also have been unnecessary and have hurt the overall narrative.

Finally, I recognize that next chapter title! The marble emperor, Constantine XI come again, to reclaim Constantinople for the Byzantine Empire. I had to learn a song about that in middle school! This implies the man will take the regnal name of Constantine XII, and want to reclaim the city. Quite a move indeed....

*This is also why I generally preferred the first section of the timeline during the war of independence, as it felt more personal.
I'm not usually one for narrative style like this. I more prefer the history book format. But, I feel this definitely added something. I think if you wanted to do more moments like this in the future they should be used sparingly.
I think the experiment went quite well. It made sense why we’d want a personal point of view for this event, you’re writing was great as always, and Constantine was consistent and sympathetic. So you definitely get an A for that portion. Feel free to do it again, I do think it can slow down timelines if you start focus’s on POV’s to much thought. So just be wary of falling into that trap. Over all a good chapter
Believe me, I've been writing this timeline for over 4 years now and as much as I like it, I don't want to be writing it forever. So these POV chapters will be used sparingly and only for important events.

That said, they are a nice change of pace for me after writing the roughly 700 pages of narration we've had thus far - not to mention the other 100 pages of content I haven't released yet/am still working on right now.

Wonderful update.

As others have said, the pace would suffer if the TL was like this all the time. But there’s something about narrative from a character’s perspective, with their inner life exposed, that liberates a writer’s style, as “history book” doesn’t allow expression to flow as freely.

Doing it like this shows just how good your prose style is. It’s bloody good.

Last edited:
The King is dead. Long live the King.

Leopold had his ups and down as a family man, but none can deny that he was not at the very least a decent King, one that Greece benefited from.

Now, here's to Constantine the XII! May he be luckier than Augustus and better than Trajan!

Wonderful update.

As others have said, the pace would suffer if the TL was like this all the time. But there’s something about narrative from a character’s perspective, with their inner life exposed, that liberates a writer’s style, as “history book” doesn’t allow expression to flow as freely.

Doing it like this shows just how good your prose style is. It’s bloody good.
Thank you very much for your kind words! These POV chapters will be far and few between, but when they do show up it will be for important events or to better examine very important characters.

Damn, and I thought MINE was long at 560+ pages! Major Cred!!!!!
Yep and that's not even counting pictures or end notes!:biggrin:

In case anyone is interested, the longest chapter so far is Chapter 82: Mire of Misery at a whopping 8609 words or an equally massive 24 pages!!! I should also note that this timeline is now spread across 3 separate Word Docs, although the first one probably doesn't exist anymore because it was on an old computer that had its hard drive wiped.:coldsweat: So really its more like two Word Docs now!

Great update, very interesting look into the inner workings of (King) Constantine. Hope we can stay with Greece as his reign gets underway.
Thank you very much!

I'm actually quite interested in what you all think I should do for the next few chapters. Currently my plan was to do this next update on Constantine's ascension to the throne and then take a short break from Greece (about 8-10 chapters:coldsweat:) to show whats been happening in the rest of the world over the last 10 years (or 20 to 30 years for some parts of the world). But if you all want me to continue covering developments in Greece and the Balkans, I'll gladly do that instead!

I guess I'll make a poll after this next chapter to gauge your reactions.

The King is dead. Long live the King.

Leopold had his ups and down as a family man, but none can deny that he was not at the very least a decent King, one that Greece benefited from.

Now, here's to Constantine the XII! May he be luckier than Augustus and better than Trajan!
The King is dead. Long live the King!

Indeed, Leopold was very much a complex individual and as much as my recent updates covered his seedier side, he was still a good leader and King who did a lot for Greece ITTL and Belgium IOTL.

Finally, next chapter will be up tomorrow.

Chapter 97: A King of Marble
Author's Note: So once again, this is a bit of a shorter update that doesn't really cover much ground. Basically, it was my intent to use this a springboard to go in any which direction that you, the reader would prefer that I go in. As such, I'll be making a poll either later today or tomorrow to gauge your interest in where I take the story next.

Part 97: A King of Marble
L%C3%A9opold%2C_duc_de_Brabant_-_Bocourt.jpg

King Constantine I and XII
Immediately following the death of King Leopold, most present at his bedside understood the gravity of the situation. The King was dead and his successor, Diadochos Constantine needed to be invested with the prerogatives of the Crown. What this process looked like, however, was anyone’s guess. The Constitution of 1830 did outline that the eldest (legitimate) son of Leopold’s body would inherit the throne upon his death, but few had made any significant preparations for such an occasion, let alone made any attempts to formally codify it. As such, their actions that day would set the precedent for all future successions of power. Regardless of the semantics, Greece was now without its Chief Executive, its Commander in Chief, its Head of State, and this could simply not do.

Once emotions had settled, a call was sent out for the Judges of the Supreme Court and ranking members of the Vouli to be awoken and brought to the Royal Palace as soon as they were able. Last to arrive, a little after four in the morning was the President of the Supreme Court, Aristides Moraitinis who would preside over the events that followed. After being brought up to speed on the King's passing and giving his condolences to the late King’s family, he approached Diadochos Constantine and recited the same oath of office that Leopold had sworn nearly 34 years prior. After some prodding, Constantine was roused from his daze and began repeating the oath back to the assembled crowd. At that, the legal authorities and responsibilities of the Crown was passed from the late Leopold to Constantine who was now legally the King of Greece.

Though he had been officially acknowledged as the King of Greece on the 4th of January 1864, the manner in which this investiture had been conducted was irksome to many of those involved – most of all Constantine. It was a rushed and informal affair, conducted in private away from the eyes of the people whose support the Monarchy needed, now more than ever. If Constantine were to gain - or rather regain their support after the recent scandals surrounding his father, then he would need a public spectacle to mark the beginning of this new era of Greece. He needed a Royal Coronation.

To Constantine, this made a degree of sense as his father had his own coronation – simple though it may have been, all the way back in June of 1830. Even with Greece war torn and indebted as it was, they had managed to arrange a festival in Leopold’s honor welcoming him as their King. Moreover, Constantine wished to stress the modernity and prestige of the Hellenic Monarchy to his peers across the Continent, many of whom still looked upon his parvenu house and his rustic country with mocking eyes. It was to be a grand spectacle, akin to those of Great Britain, Austria, and Russia, proclaiming to all that he (and thusly Greece) was their equal. The Vouli proved hesitant to the idea, however.

Given the recent controversies surrounding the Monarchy, they felt it unwise at present to spend countless Drachma on an entirely self-aggrandizing spectacle. Moreover, the Vouli was in recess for Christmas, with many Representatives away in their municipalities and would not return to session for many weeks to come. Although they would be called back to Athens, they didn't think it prudent to immediately embark on a spending spree for the new King. Instead, many Representatives still in attendance favored a far simpler (and far less expensive) Inauguration Ceremony before the Vouli and Senate.

Constantine would resist this measure at first, decrying it in private as an indignity and an insult to his closest advisors, but with Royal influence still at its nadir and lacking many political allies in the Vouli, he and his entourage begrudgingly accepted this simplified ceremony. However, in return for his acceptance, he requested free reign to organize the festivities surrounding the Ceremony which the Vouli hesitantly accepted. With the style of the Ceremony settled upon, they would tentatively schedule Constantine’s public ascension to the Hellenic Throne for the 1st of February.

The following weeks would see a flurry of activity in the Royal Palace as foreign dignitaries arrived to pay their respects, whilst politicians made various preparations. Among the topics of debate included the location of the a Mass in the King's honor with some of his courtiers suggesting the Royal Chapel in the Palace. However, given its small size and isolation, it was not considered overt enough. Another candidate was the Church of the Holy Trinity as it was the oldest cathedral in Athens. The site was the personal favorite of the new Queen Anna (Grand Duchess Anna Mikhailovna) as the Greek Government had leased it to the Russian Government to provide for the Russian community in Greece following her wedding to Constantine in 1853. However, as the site was undergoing renovations at the time, it was eventually passed over in favor of the new Metropolitan Cathedral of Athens which had finally completed construction only a few months prior.

Postes_hell%C3%A9niques-CP%281918%29-0022.jpg

The Metropolitan Cathedral of Athens (circa 1900)
Other matters such as the regalia and trappings of the new King’s raiment’s was discussed at length by various sub-committees with some pushing for more traditionally Hellenic garb, whilst others wanted to promote the modernity of Greece with more contemporary (ie. Western) coronation garb. It was eventually decided that Constantine would wear a simple military uniform of a Hellenic Army General as his father had when he was Crowned King 34 years prior. Finally, there would be no usage of the regalia brought to Greece by Leopold given the insignificance of the items after Leopold’s arrival in Greece – they had been relegated to a display case in the Old Palace of Athens where they remain to this day.

The last matter of major debate was that of Constantine’s official title. Upon his coronation in June 1830, Leopold had taken the lesser - and rather unpopular title, King of Hellas instead of the superior and more popular King of the Hellenes. Although the difference was slight, the meaning was not as the former implied Kingship only over the State of Greece, whereas the latter implied kingship over the Greek peoples, not just in Greece but everywhere. This lesser title had been forced upon his father and the Greek state by the Great Powers back in the Conference of London as a means of appeasing the wounded Ottoman Empire whose affections the British and French still sought to uphold.

Over the years there had been a number of attempts by Hellenic Nationalists to push Leopold into repudiating this title and taking the superior title of King of the Hellenes in 1848 and again in 1855. Yet, on both occasions he refused to budge on the issue – fearing the animosity of the Powers whose support he still sought out and the animosity of the Turks whose belligerency he feared. Constantine had no such qualms, however.

When the subject was presented to him during the lead up to his Inauguration, Constantine would make a show of the matter by feigning indifference at first. Yet, when pressed by members of the Vouli and members of his retinue, he would quickly change course and acquiesce to their request, accepting the title, King of the Hellenes. Although a few of his more conservative councilors would advise him against such a reckless act, most delighted in his bravado and let out a hearty cry in jubilation at their new King’s bravery and gusto.

Of equal controversy was the choice of his official regnal name, Konstantinos XII Koburgos. Whereas his new title King of the Greeks sparked controversy with the Ottomans by claiming legal sovereignty over the Greek peoples living within the Ottoman Empire; his chosen name and regnal number presented a much graver threat to the Turks by linking himself directly to the last Roman Emperor, Konstantinos XI Palaiologos Constantine. In doing so, Constantine had essentially staked his claim to the territory and legacy of the medieval Rhomaion Empire. Going further, Constantine would back up these claims to Imperial greatness by sponsoring a number of genealogists and historians to record his ancestors all the way back to the Imperial Houses of Palaiologos, Angelos, and Kommenos.

Constantine_XI.jpg

Statue of Emperor Constantine XI Palaiologos in Athens

The announcement of these terms and the rather serious revival of the claims attached to them would immediately spark outrage in Kostantîniyye, who threatened little Greece with war if the 1830 Treaty of London and 1855 Treaty of Constantinople weren’t upheld to the very letter. However, the Ottomans were in a poor position to act on these threats as they were already embroiled in a crisis with Egypt, not to mention the ongoing unrest in their Levantine and Balkan provinces and the fact that their economy was thoroughly gutted. As these were hardly secrets, many in Athens to feel confident enough to disregard their threats. They would be proven right, for when the Powers showed little concern over the machinations of the new Greek King given the ongoing crises in Europe and the Middle East, the Sublime Porte begrudgingly dropped the matter. Despite this indifference, the Powers of Europe would not acknowledge Constantine’s unilateral acts, however, and would continue to refer to him as Constantine I, King of Hellas whenever he traveled abroad, much to his disappointment.

Breaking up the preparations for Constantine’s coronation was Leopold’s funeral. On the 18th of January, King Leopold of Greece was finally laid to rest. Despite his recent failings as a man, his reign as a King was remembered fondly by the people of Greece. His long reign had brought a measure of legitimacy and stability to the Greek state that was sorely needed after the War for Independence. As such, throngs of people braved the cold to see their erstwhile King one last time. The funeral service in his memory at the Cathedral of Athens was attended by nearly 1000 people including a number of guests from all corners of Europe such as his beloved nephew Prince Albert and his son the Prince of Wales Prince Edward, Tsarevich Nicholas Alexandrovich and his brother Grand Duke Alexander Alexandrovich of Russia, his son in law King Louis of the Two Sicilies, and a number of other royal guests, extended family members and long-time family friends. For his part, Constantine said little and did less, choosing to let others speak and act on his behalf.

Arriv%C3%A9e_du_corps_du_roi_L%C3%A9opold_Ier_au_Palais_royal_le_13_d%C3%A9cembre_1865.jpg

The Funeral Procession of King Leopold
Per Leopold’s will, he had requested that his body be laid to rest in Windsor next to his first wife, Princess Charlotte of Wales. However, this was rejected unanimously by both his son Diadochos Constantine and his Ministers who demanded that his remains be entombed in a royal crypt in Athens. Fittingly, Leopold had embroiled himself in one last controversy as unbeknownst to all, he had made arrangements with his niece Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom to bring about his will. The British Queen would attempt to negotiate with her Greek cousin to no avail. As Constantine and his government proved defiant to Leopold's last wishes, forcing Victoria to content herself with erecting a statue in her beloved uncle’s honor in St. George’s Chapel.

Two weeks later, the day of Constantine’s formal Inauguration as the King of the Greeks arrived. Much as he might have wished that the routine Church service was a grand Coronation, he made the most of the event and received a benediction from the Metropolitan in his honor. The Gathering of the Vouli and Senate was much less mundane, however, as nearly a thousand men and women forced themselves into the small Vouli Chamber. At half past noon, Constantine, his family and a number of his aides, courtiers and retainers arrived at the Legislative building upon gilded carriages and great chargers. Tall, fully bearded and accompanied by a vast retinue of uniformed attendants and military men, Constantine looked every bit the mighty monarch.

Standing at the center, upon an embroidered dais was Prime Minister Kanaris who invited the new King into the chamber and made a brief speech extolling the desire of the Legislature to work with King Constantine for the benefit of all Greeks. Although it was not public knowledge, Kanaris had revealed his intent to Constantine in a private meeting that he wished to resign from office following that day’s events. He recognized that his own time was nearing its end and wished to spend his last years with his remaining family in peace. Moreover, he knew that Constantine held political views that differed from his own and thus sought to provide the new King with a chance to select a Premier more to his liking. Yet upon the request of Constantine, he conceded to staying on in a transitionary role until a proper replacement could be selected.

Next to address the gathered Representatives and Senators was the President of the Supreme Court, Aristides Moraitinis who prompted Constantine to rise and recite the same oath of office that he had following his father’s passing nearly a month prior. In short, he swore to abide by and defend the Constitution of the Greek State. He swore to uphold the rights of the Greek people. He swore to maintain the dignity and honor of the Monarchy. Finally, he swore to do his utmost to serve the Greek State. With this oath complete, the gathered crowd of legislators, judges, royal guests and visitors erupted into applause. Turning to address the crowd, Constantine would take in this moment before making a short, but impactful speech that was equal parts humble and defiant.

First, he would describe his father’s recent passing as well as the scandals that surrounded his final days. He would ask that the people forgive his wayward father and move on from the controversy for the sake of the country. Next, he talked of his own life, his triumphs and his failures. He asked that the people aid him in his great task and that he promised to do everything in his power to lead them to greatness. Finally, he talked of his hopes and aspirations for his reign. His hopes of a better Greece - as well as his thinly veiled desires of conquest and expansion, of glory and grandeur. Little did anyone there that day know that King Constantine’s reign would indeed earn glory for little Greece, marking some of the highest highs of its modern history. Yet it would also mark some of its lowest lows and some of its greatest tragedies.

Last edited: