Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

What if the 1990 Children’s Television Act never happened or never forced E/I and advertisement restrictions?

My guess is that while most kid’s programming would air new episodes on cable (and later streaming) - the Big Three networks plus maybe The CW would still air some sort of Saturday Morning block. This is because as late as 2010, all big three networks and then some were airing a Saturday Morning block (ABC still had ABC Kids, NBC had Qubo and later NBC Kids, CBS had Cookie Jar TV, and there was also The CW with Toonzai and later Vortexx). Thoughts?

Nick on CBS might actually last past 2006 since it would be able to air some of the network’s most popular programs (assuming butterflies don’t flap their wings that much) like SpongeBob and Fairly OddParents instead of relying on E/I friendly Rugrats and Hey Arnold which were dying out by this time.
You know, if the law never passed, maybe the movement of animation to cable would be a bit smaller.

What if the 1990 Children’s Television Act never happened or never forced E/I and advertisement restrictions?

My guess is that while most kid’s programming would air new episodes on cable (and later streaming) - the Big Three networks plus maybe The CW would still air some sort of Saturday Morning block. This is because as late as 2010, all big three networks and then some were airing a Saturday Morning block (ABC still had ABC Kids, NBC had Qubo and later NBC Kids, CBS had Cookie Jar TV, and there was also The CW with Toonzai and later Vortexx). Thoughts?

Nick on CBS might actually last past 2006 since it would be able to air some of the network’s most popular programs (assuming butterflies don’t flap their wings that much) like SpongeBob and Fairly OddParents instead of relying on E/I friendly Rugrats and Hey Arnold which were dying out by this time.
Y’know, I would say the lack of E/I restrictions would just kill the kid blocks sooner and replace them with news, sports, or infomercials, but the lack of AD restrictions keeping kid programming more profitable might keep even weekday kids blocks around longer. Maybe this could lead to free OTA kids channels. ABC affiliates could get a sub channel feed of Disney Channel, CW could get Cartoon Network, Fox Kids would make the jump, etc.

Y’know, I would say the lack of E/I restrictions would just kill the kid blocks sooner and replace them with news, sports, or infomercials, but the lack of AD restrictions keeping kid programming more profitable might keep even weekday kids blocks around longer. Maybe this could lead to free OTA kids channels. ABC affiliates could get a sub channel feed of Disney Channel, CW could get Cartoon Network, Fox Kids would make the jump, etc.
Right!

Or TimeWarner could create a Kids' WB channel and leave CN alone.

But Fox Kids making the jump to it's own channel is a great idea.

I had a fun little idea for any musical fans out here: what if 'Chicago' and 'A Chorus Line' switched fates?

During the 30th Tony Awards, 'Chicago' wins Best Musical... and sweeps a bunch of other categories. Basically, the inverse of what happened IOTL:

Chicago during the 1976 Tony Awards:
1694993067757.png

A Chorus Line:
1694993136096.png

Nearly a decade later in 1985, instead of A Chorus Line being adapted into the big screen, Chicago gets that treatment instead, with Michael Douglas starring as lawyer Billy Flynn, and the Velma and Roxie roles given to unknown actresses. The reviews come in, and they are equally as negative as the ones that the A Chorus Line 1985 movie received IOTL:

1694993336225.png

The New York Times (30/100): "Chicago is less a movie than an expensive souvenir program".

The 1975 Broadway production of Chicago, however, gets great reviews and boosts Chita Rivera's and Gwen Verdon's careers to great heights. The Broadway production has over 6,000 performances and goes through a revival in 2006. No more movies are made.

A Chorus Line, on the other hand, runs on Broadway until the end of the 70s. It then goes through an astronomical revival in 1996, sweeping the 1997 Tony Awards. It becomes a global production, opening in London, Australia, and many other countries.

In 2002, A Chorus Line finally makes it to the silver screen. The film stars Richard Gere in the role of play director Zach, and Catherine Zeta-Jones as Cassie. Critics love it, and it's the smash box office hit of 2003:

1694994147592.png

1694994183940.png

This felt almost sacrilegious to write given how good the 2002 Chicago movie is, and how it probably makes for a better movie than A Chorus Line ever did. But anyway, a random idea that I feel wouldn't be out of place in the Fringe alternate universe!

Bolieve.jpg

COMING SOON...................................................................................................................(relatively)

What are they about? I could help depending on what they're are.
Well in the gaming department in one timeline there’s a three way race between Microsoft Nintendo and Sony and in the other timeline the Nintendo and Sega and it intels partnerships between Nintendo/Sony and Microsoft/Sega