Planetocopia Map Thread

@Molotov Jack and @Halogen did this map as a fun exercise involving mirrored America as a spinoff of mutually upcoming mapping projects.

View attachment 890857
Granted, if we were to add a little more realism, the new Aleutians would probably blunt the mid-Atlantic current, resulting in northern Britain and mainland Europe being cooler or at least more continental than otl, but it does look like a fun TL to live in.
I imagine South America would be settled by Polynesians ITTL, at least the Tropical Savanna region between the two deserts. On another note, I'm interested in seeing what you two have got in store with those mapping projects.

Last edited:
I imagine South America would be settled by Polynesians ITTL, at least the Tropical Savanna region between the two deserts. On another note, I'm interested in seeing what you two have got in store with those mapping projects.
Well Molotov’s was the Retrograde redux already shown. Halogen’s have been a series of experimental maps with altering geography to get interesting results.

Well Molotov’s was the Retrograde redux already shown. Halogen’s have been a series of experimental maps with altering geography to get interesting results.
I would love to see someone make a timeline base off of Mirrored Americas. I'll lay out a quick thesis I thought up.
15,000 BC: Mesolithic European Hunter-Gatherers cross the Aleutians/Bering Land Bridge to reach Alaska, proliferating throughout The Americans over the next 5,000 or so years. Further waves of migration from Europe and Northeast Asia follow over the next 15 millennia, forming a variety of races and cultures across The New World.
500 BC-500 AD: Several Greek and Roman expeditions to the north reach the Aleutian islands, as rumors of a vast land to the west have become commonplace. They go no further due to the rough seas and increasingly harsh climate.
800 AD - 1200 AD: Polynesian explorers reach South America. While the area they land in is arid, more habitable land is found further north, leading to Polynesian settlement in Northern Brazil. As in Melanesia, they mix with the natives to form new Polynesian-speaking, mixed race ethnic groups.
800 AD -1000 AD: Viking voyages go further than the Greeks and Romans had gone, conquering and settling the previously Celtic-speaking Aleutians and establishing colonies on the mainland. Their presence in Alaska gets less and less the further west you go, but individual expeditions go as far as Haida Gwaii.
1500 AD: The European Age of Exploration begins in earnest as the Spanish, knowing of a land to the west from the Romans and Vikings, send an expedition across the Atlantic to see if they could use it as a stopover point to get to the Far East. The expedition lands around Baja California, and the first Spanish settlements in The New World are established. You know what happens next.

Qf4WgssBo3ubIJ5ARh7T3-cQlvcVMVqscp_WB7RQemDkbl2qu4rAHgdwBYRDQOy9DhYrsi7HkTEwikEab8I6XdkAYw5l6V5NDIIpCSNsn8LlDa6N9NDlLIFvqP9F1CrX-ZyavEKrQruzxbIqMB2VM5E

DQMvP2ID8KKD38-CpPA_KmYWpOJE4zOdEnYJqHw3sFM9v7hl_13U0GKTnLJDHBxZ1JcCt8yOwILPM30vX1azgtBL1GeCZhz4Blwfo1Rtkoue8x0-0Mq-DO66MgWLF4xi0Icd8y5Xyjyw3NcSkOVHTaA
In the last few days I've been thinking about how we could make a world where temperate climates were more abundant, I ended up thinking about a slightly different version of Jaredia, as you can see on this map the North Pole would be more or less in the State of Red Sea in Sudan, while the South Pole would be somewhere in French Polynesia, at the same time I moved the Americas to the South (West in OTL), making California much closer to Hawaii and the Antarctic Circle passing OTL west of Mexico. Also, as you can see, I added some lands from submerged mountain ranges like Zeelandia, Kerguelen, Rio Grande and Walvis Ridge
This means that most of the world would be located in the temperate zones of the globe,
Likewise, as you can see, I didn't consider rising sea levels, as I really don't know how things would be affected, what do you think? Would things be more or less like Jaredia? including Greenland as a peninsula, the much larger Caspian Sea and an existing Bering Bridge? what do you think?
Any idea where the cradle of humanity would end up here?

Any idea where the cradle of humanity would end up here?
e.g. Ethiopia? Hmm, if we assume it has to be about the same conditions, Antarctica might be the most similar to our Ethiopia, being a tropical plateau. Though it would be quite isolated!

As for some of the things in your original post, it sort of seems like the icecap would be a bit smaller than Jaredia's since you're trading Arabia for larger parts of southern and western Africa.

e.g. Ethiopia? Hmm, if we assume it has to be about the same conditions, Antarctica might be the most similar to our Ethiopia, being a tropical plateau. Though it would be quite isolated!

As for some of the things in your original post, it sort of seems like the icecap would be a bit smaller than Jaredia's since you're trading Arabia for larger parts of southern and western Africa.
The North Pole of this world is somewhere in Northern Ethiopia

Dunno if this fits the thread but here is a question i've been meaning to ask:

How would hurricanes (generated from what would've been the Atlantic ocean) work? Without any significant landmasses to stop them would they just swell up in size until they reach Asia?

1706219463934-png.883976

Trying to work out a climate map for this and figured I might as well ask for advice here, since it started out as a simple Shiveria/Turnovia combination. Right now, this is just a rough sketch trying to work out the basics- grayish-purple is major mountain ranges, brown is deserts, green is tropical/tropical-adjacent forested areas, orangey-yellow is "I thought something climatologically interesting would be happening here when I was first putting the map together but had too bad a headache to work it out, and now I can't remember what my past self thought said interesting climate thing would be." Any feedback/criticism/suggestions/etc. on climate distribution is welcome.
May I use this map for its rivers?

elephant_habitable_range_gif.gif

Here’s a Retrograde temperature speculation gif I made. This is just a weird one I did for more conventional elephant species, like Loxadonta and Elephas, without adaptions to temperate habitats like Palaeoloxodon and Mammut or tundra like mammoths. Temperature range considered "habitable" for conventional elephants here is 285-305K or 12-32C for average monthly temperature. This is based on googles suggesting that Asian elephants seriously struggle in temperatures below 279K and above 308K, though Africans can tolerate heat somewhat better. The ideal temperature range according to research for E.maximus is about 23C or 296K, so places near this for large chunks of the year would be ideal for them. Places within this wider range for only parts of the year could be suitable for outer enclosures in zoos/sanctuaries or migratory populations, but ideally a place within this range for all 12 months of the year is preferable for elephant habitation, as long as there is sufficient humidity for decent food supply and not too dodgy terrain. What's interesting here is central-southern Algeria, likely skewered by the Atlas Mountains and their rainshadow, which appear to have cooler though still mild (seemingly 280-285K or 7-12C, which is still warmer than winters in London or Tokyo) winters for about 4 months, while Syria only dips under for 1 month, and given the middle east is monsoonal in this timeline, it would indeed be ideal elephant territory as I predicted in my personal timeline; in my case it was both Elephas and Palaeoloxodon, since the latter was already present there in otl.

Even weirder here is that most of South Korea and Jiangsu fit the bill at least in temperature range, though the latter is almost certainly too dry. Areas with monsoonal climates like India, the Middle East and North Africa seem ideal due to wet summers cooling them off and dry winters reducing frostbite risks, which is why despite milder winter temperatures, Asian elephants would be absent from northern China (there is a corridor in the west to keep them safe from the south Chinese desert here), as that region now has a Mediterranean precipitation pattern which isn’t as suitable. Palaeoloxodon doesn’t seem to have had this issue and so is present in that region instead, at least in Pleistocene times. The southwestern part of Iberia supposedly registers under this too, but it only goes above 22C for 2 months, and its average is likely skewed by the ocean in its square, so winter temperatures here are probably only in the 2-7C or at most 7-10C range in practise.

Interestingly, most of Japan, including parts of Hokkaido stays within this range year round. The rest of Hokkaido and even the southern tips of Sakhalin and the Kurils are in the 280-285K region for January, with the southern half of Sakhalin being temperate.

wof1aj8uy8wc1.png

An Edit for North America
kqcbppo6y8wc1.png

The crop alone

d4raez2jy8wc1.png

An Edit for Europe.
opdowl48y8wc1.png

The crop alone

Both attaching Oligocene Topography to Modern arrangement of the continents, so pre-Ice age. The problem here is that the world map is brighter than the edit map and I want to fix it in a way that the edit map would the same kind of brightness across the whole elevation range.

ETOPO for reference.

y5n40fnb09wc1.png

Last edited:
wof1aj8uy8wc1.png

An Edit for North America
kqcbppo6y8wc1.png

The crop alone

d4raez2jy8wc1.png

An Edit for Europe.
opdowl48y8wc1.png

The crop alone

Both attaching Oligocene Topography to Modern arrangement of the continents, so pre-Ice age. The problem here is that the world map is brighter than the edit map and I want to fix it in a way that the edit map would the same kind of brightness across the whole elevation range.

ETOPO for reference.

y5n40fnb09wc1.png
This isn't very scientific at all, but for this, in GIMP I changed the exposure of the whole image so the shoreline (or what I assumed to be the shoreline, might be a bit off) on the alt map is equivalent to the OTL map, and then selected the part of the image that was land and moved up the contrast to 25, which kind of looks about right. Not really sure though!

PthZ8gL.png

This isn't very scientific at all, but for this, in GIMP I changed the exposure of the whole image so the shoreline (or what I assumed to be the shoreline, might be a bit off) on the alt map is equivalent to the OTL map, and then selected the part of the image that was land and moved up the contrast to 25, which kind of looks about right. Not really sure though!

PthZ8gL.png
Here's what I'll do. I'll compare two elevations between both maps that I know are the same(like Amazon basin) and then, check their different (about 4 pixels lighter in the ETOPO) and from there, make every shading of the Oligocene reconstruction, that many pixels lighter.

Then, I check which one is better between them.

And i would still have to do some more edits to simulate the lack of glacial erosion as well but when that bridge comes.

In the meantime, anybody know any good equi-rectangular map that shows that detailed extent of the last glacial maximum in high quality (like 4k or 5k in width of larger).

PthZ8gL.png
Can you do this your method again for this map as well? To get the whole thing? So, we can then compare and contrast how well our different methods work?.
hj0chzr8ciwc1.png

The Original file.

4w0zejh2biwc1.png

Pixel by Pixel edit file.

gnhz02nfeiwc1.png

File I made Using Paint.net. An upper White layer, at 33 transpiracy, the layer set to Overlay mode and then flatened on to the background main image to form this.

The highest points on the overlay(bottom) method is about the same (tho, less) brightness compared to the layer done by just adding the pixel difference in brightness from around sea level, to every level (about 13 points in RGB). However, their darker layers are much more different, the Overlay method producing more contrast which I assume is more accurate but who knows. Does your method also produce more contrast?. Yeah, it produces way more contrast which is why I want to see what you can do with the full working size map. If it keeps this contrast and models the mountains of Spain and Scandinavia, I think it would make more sense to you your method.

Molotovsnowman has reduxed Retrograde Earth’s biome map;
hrzkU9M.png

OTL for comparison by Lowtuff;
oBJ2S2h.png

This puts it in more real terms I think.

While I’m busy with my conservative speculative evolution take on a retrograde earth, one could do a hypothetical Long Earth scenario where a virgin Retrofrade earth is discovered by “otl” civilisation and colonised, resulting in its own powers and struggles, perhaps wars of independence etc.

Last edited: