If You Could Change One Historical Event, What Would It Be?

gaijin

Banned
ISOT myself to Sarajevo on June 28, 1914 with a Colt .45, in the Archduke's car. When we pass Princip, a hollow-point slug will have a one-way ticket to that terrorist's skull.
[Rant mode on]So somebody asks you what historical event you could change and you immediately start fantasizing about putting hollow point slugs into peoples heads?? It ever occurred to you that one might just as easily prevent the assassination without shooting somebody in the head? Changing events doesn't equal a carte blanche for killing people.

What I find disturbing about posts like this (not singling out you personally, just using your post to make a general statement) is the level of detail that has gone into it. It`s not "stop the assassination", it`s not "kill the assassin somehow", it`s "shoot this person in the head with specific weapon A using ammunition B". Whenever I read a post like that I always have to wonder how much time does said poster spend thinking about killing people in that specific way.Personally I find posts like that rather creepy.[Rant mode off]

I'd probably kill Santa Anna right after the Mexican Independence. Not sure what would happen, but almost everything would be better than what he helped create.

If I could change history I would have Lenin killed when he was in exile in Swirzerland.

The evil that was done in the name of Marxism-Leninism completely discredited the teachings of Karl Marx and inflicted untold misery, death and suffering in much of the world.

Without the fear of Marxism-Leninism there would've been no Cold War, no fascist regimes, no Hitler or Mussolini, no Second World War and fewer Latin American military dictatorships.

There would've been no Holocaust with the result there would've been no Israel and thus most of the problems in the Middle East would not exist.

The flip side is that colonialism is likely to have survived into the 21st Century and technology would've gone in a different direction.

Last edited:
If I could change history I would have Lenin killed when he was in exile in Swirzerland.

The evil that was done in the name of Marxism-Leninism completely discredited the teachings of Karl Marx and inflicted untold misery, death and suffering in much of the world.

Without the fear of Marxism-Leninism there would've been no Cold War, no fascist regimes, no Hitler or Mussolini, no Second World War and fewer Latin American military dictatorships.

There would've been no Holocaust with the result there would've been no Israel and thus most of the problems in the Middle East would not exist.

The flip side is that colonialism is likely to have survived into the 21st Century and technology would've gone in a different direction.

Right, just a nitpick, but Marxism-Leninism did not exist in Lenin's lifetime, nor did it have much to do with him outside the use of his post-death cult of personality. That and everything else is rubbish but that's just my opinion.

Trotsky, Stalin, Tito, and Hitler were all in Vienna at the same in 1913. If you want to mess with the 20th Century then that's the best time and place to best do it.

Trotsky, Stalin, Tito, and Hitler were all in Vienna at the same in 1913. If you want to mess with the 20th Century then that's the best time and place to best do it.

If that's the case, how about a really bad day on Vienna's streetcar system with multiple accidents (derailments; brake failures) that render a few very specific individuals ultimately unfit for military service of any sort or what we now call disabled?

Some way to prevent Philip II of Spain becoming King of Portugal in 1580... No Iberian Personal Union... It would probable be good for Portugal, but also for Spain....

Kosta

Banned
I would try to prevent the schism at the Council of Chalcedon and explain to each side that Copts and Syriacs and Armenians et al are not Monophysite but Miaphysite and believe in the same Christology as the Roman Diaphysites. That way, I could at least try to prevent the hostile political climate in the Roman Empire, and pray that by the time Sassanid Persians come knocking at any point afterwards, they won't find put out Copts and Syriac Christians ready for a change in government. With no conquest of Egypt and a different, hopefully much less brutal Romano-Persian War, maybe Rome won't have such a long, drawn-out, and bitterly brutal decline.

I kinda dont want to butterfly myself away so I would kill Bin Laden, the Ayatollah (though I doubt killng him will make Iran a real democracy) or Putin in the late 90's.

GOLD: stop bush from Iraq war and give him a would history book of 2001 -to now 11/14/2014

SILVER: stop Republicans from the Impeachment of Bill Clinton

BRONZE: have John McCain win the 2008 presidential campaign

The illegal elector is never appointed in Oregon, and as such Samuel Tilden wins the Presidential election of 1876 clean with 185 electoral votes.

Reconstruction could have continued in the South under the eye of Federal Troops. The Democrats controlled Congress at the time, so the pursestrings might have been tightened to keep the troops there, but this was the best chance to head off the rollback of civil rights for newly freed blacks.

The illegal elector is never appointed in Oregon, and as such Samuel Tilden wins the Presidential election of 1876 clean with 185 electoral votes.

Reconstruction could have continued in the South under the eye of Federal Troops. The Democrats controlled Congress at the time, so the pursestrings might have been tightened to keep the troops there, but this was the best chance to head off the rollback of civil rights for newly freed blacks.

Huh!

The Democrats were dead against Reconstruction. Tilden would have pulled the troops even faster than Hayes did.

In any case, white supremacy was already restored everywhere except three states where Radical governments were hanging on by their fingernails. So Reconstruction is as good as over anyway/

I'd go back and have John McCain "win" the 2008 election ala George Bush in the year 2000, but ideally losing the popular by millions of votes. The resulting disastrous presidency and inevitable worse Recession ensures a huge progressive majority in 2012 and a better world in the long run.

-Get Qingdao back to China, thus leading to communism being less appealing in China (because it disillusioned Chinese people against liberal democracy).

-Derail Operation Ajax, and PBSUCCESS.

-Kill off Mao Zedong (though getting Qingdao back would make his ascendancy less likely)

-Put the Unit 731 people on trial, after taking the data...like the Soviets did (which was one of the few times they were "better" than the US OTL!:eek::eek:)

Edit: Prevent the 14 A-class war criminals from being enshrined at Yasukuni...

Last edited: