Alternate History Combat Aircraft

Post war German bomber using technology bought from the Soviets who stole it from the US in a timeline where Germany didn't go to war with the USSR due to an earlier entry into the war by the US.
I would expect the germans to go with a way lighter defensive armament on a bomber that is supposed to be fast but overall a really cool blend of B-29 and Ar 243!

Because it's been awhile, more silly originals from Giant Canada World:

TiUDGML.png

WNF Wn-24 of the KUK Luftfahrtruppen in late 1945, painted for action over western Russia during the onset of General Winter. In lore terms, eastern and northeastern Austria-Hungary gets battered by Russia early in the Great World War, resulting in most industry fleeing into the core. A few squads of Wn-24s are produced out of a Vienna factory as the front lines move out of Habsburg territory and back into Russia as the Central Pact powers advance on the Bear, allowing the Luftfahrtruppen to get back on its feet to a small degree. The aircraft are actually pretty good dogfighters, but they have reliability issues, especially in the cold, and largely take a backseat to Canadian and German aircraft.

Luftfahrtruppen aircraft display the Iron Cross on undersides and a white-backed black cross on sides and top from mid-war onward. This is because yellow markings over Russia are banned, given the Russian State's tendency to fly yellow markings and roundels prominently. AH pilots tend to paint the edelweiss on their aircraft as a symbol of their defiance after the devastation the war wreaked on them so far, with the typical yellow heart changed to red. This pilot has been credited with 3.5 kills on the Russian front, as indicated by the three and a half bears on his fuselage.

Last edited:
Another oddball from Giant Canada World:

kiS9Nrn.png

The WNF Wn-15 is a pre-Great World War fighter produced by the Meindl design team out of Wiener Neustadt Flugzeugwerke in Vienna. Obsolete and phased out of all but training and support roles in the KUK Luftfahrtruppen by the time the war starts, the design is nevertheless still used by various Central Pact clients in Eastern Europe, usually those carved out of Russia and Prussia after the Continental War of the late 1890s and early 1900s. This one serves with the Royal Circassian Guard Flying Corps and is one of just a couple dozen Wn-15s flying for the small country when Russia invades early in the war.

This design is one of the last to use the quixotic stepped-T tail design Meindl/WNF likes in the biplane years.

Another oddball from Giant Canada World:

kiS9Nrn.png

The WNF Wn-15 is a pre-Great World War fighter produced by the Meindl design team out of Wiener Neustadt Flugzeugwerke in Vienna. Obsolete and phased out of all but training and support roles in the KUK Luftfahrtruppen by the time the war starts, the design is nevertheless still used by various Central Pact clients in Eastern Europe, usually those carved out of Russia and Prussia after the Continental War of the late 1890s and early 1900s. This one serves with the Royal Circassian Guard Flying Corps and is one of just a couple dozen Wn-15s flying for the small country when Russia invades early in the war.

This design is one of the last to use the quixotic stepped-T tail design Meindl/WNF likes in the biplane years.
That's an odd tail

Say, did anyone ever thought how early jet designs till the mid 50s would be without WW2?
I know a lot of jets got at least somewhat inspired by German ones like the Me-262, Me P.1101 or Ta183.
Like in Sweden, France, the USSR and the US.
So how were jet designs before getting those inspirations?
If Germany still picked Messerschmitt, do you think the development would still go to the Me P.1101 or to another design without having to worry about the war?
Also did France actually had any jet plans before the fall?

Say, did anyone ever thought how early jet designs till the mid 50s would be without WW2?
I know a lot of jets got at least somewhat inspired by German ones like the Me-262, Me P.1101 or Ta183.
Like in Sweden, France, the USSR and the US.
So how were jet designs before getting those inspirations?
If Germany still picked Messerschmitt, do you think the development would still go to the Me P.1101 or to another design without having to worry about the war?
Also did France actually had any jet plans before the fall?
The Germans were the first to come up with swept and Delta shaped wing, without WWII's influence I imagine most of the first jets would have had straight wings and there would probably be quite a few canard designs but eventually swept wings and Deltas would've made an appearance, no later than the mid 1950's I would say.

Most likely the Meteor, He-280, P-59, P-80 straight wing layout in some from now when is the more interesting question. Britain, Germany and Italy (of all places) had active Jet engine programs in the 1930's but they were all very back burner, except the Italian one again go figure. The Italian one was.. different while Germans and British were mirroring each other with out knowing it. With out WW2 to kick the to programs that were working on what we think Jet engines are (not a compressor powered by an internal combustion engine this was the Italian Jet concept). My best guess is the Italian N.1 with its motorjet engine fly somewhere around 1940 as in OTL after that it may be a year or two before the flight of the first true turbojet engine as Britain was more than willing to let jets wither and die while I'm not sure what funding Hinkel gets in a non nazi Germany

On the other side, Germany is the research leader on wind tunnel/sweep wings. At least, after the war everybody used german research, and i don't know of anyone on that level at the time.

Most likely the Meteor, He-280, P-59, P-80 straight wing layout in some from now when is the more interesting question. Britain, Germany and Italy (of all places) had active Jet engine programs in the 1930's but they were all very back burner, except the Italian one again go figure. The Italian one was.. different while Germans and British were mirroring each other with out knowing it. With out WW2 to kick the to programs that were working on what we think Jet engines are (not a compressor powered by an internal combustion engine this was the Italian Jet concept). My best guess is the Italian N.1 with its motorjet engine fly somewhere around 1940 as in OTL after that it may be a year or two before the flight of the first true turbojet engine as Britain was more than willing to let jets wither and die while I'm not sure what funding Hinkel gets in a non nazi Germany
I think an interesting alternate Italian aircraft would've been if the Italians had stuck a jet engine the Ambrosini SS-4.

ambrosini_ss-4.jpg

here's a pic I did a while back.

Ambrosini SS-5 sml.png

Say another question...
Would swept wings and V tails be of any use for WW2 prop fighters?
Or were the speeds of those just too irrelevant?

Hello,

Very interesting.
I once made some pics of a Dornier Do-335 with a jet engine, the final pic had swept wings, after reading the link in your post I went back and place back the prop engines in the Do-335 to what it would like.
The result is below.
Dornier Do-336 xx+Prop.png

I'm no expert on aircraft aerodynamics but I think a swept wing on the Do-335 might have improved the planes performance.
Thoughts?

Take two.
Dornier Do-336 xx+Prop+.png

I moved the wing forward like Bell and Grumman did IOTL.
I think I like the first version better but I wonder which would work better?