Zimmerman Telegram is sent to CSA, not Mexico

Suggested in another thread a few weeks ago. Sorry that I don't remember by who.

POD is that a CSA survives to the time of the First World War. The famous telegram is sent to the govt of the CSA rather than Mexico's. The offer is that Germany will see that the CSA received West Virginia, border states, or western territories after a Central Powers victory.

(Yes, I'm aware that some think the telegram was a hoax, or was deliberately leaked by British intel. Assume for the POD that this is not true.)

Who would most likely be the CSA pres? How would he respond?

How would CSA-US relations be affected if the telegram is discovered?

Xen

Banned
More over, wouldn't the USofA ally with Germany since the CSA is likely aligned with Britain (well, high probablity anyway).

This isn't Harry Turtledove, it is never stated how the South survived, it could be the Copperheads win the Congress in 1862 and the Presidency in 1864. Even if the British & French were involved the south is likely to be a pariah in the brotherhood of nations until they abolish slavery. Then again maybe the British and Germans are allies and the United States is pro-French and pro-Russian:eek:

I don't know if the CSA would want West Virginia back and if relations are that poor between the US and CS, West Virginia is likely to be heavily militarized, perhaps even the most militarized state in the Union. Which could mean unlike OTL West Virginia is very wealthy.

I do not know enough about this Confederacy, does it have a Pacific port? Is Confederate Arizona part of it? What about Texas? Does the Union keep the Florida Keys (in OTL the Keys were pro-Confederate but were occupied by the Union) in this TL it could be the Union keeps the Keys, and they become the Gibraltar of the Americas and would likely be much more desired by the Confederate States.

Alert: PODs change a Time Line, a POD in 1860-1865 means that 50+ years latter a World War I as we know it will NOT happen, thank you for your time.

ASB!
1. With a PoD in the 1860s WW1 could either be butterflied away or change drastically.
2. CSA would be more likely to be aligned with Britain than Germany; trade reasons.
3. The whole alliance system might be altered.
4. Zimmermann might be butterflied away
etc. etc. etc.

Oh brother. Some people are having trouble understanding a simple enough idea.

The central POD is during WWI, not 1860s.

It also assumed if the CSA survives to that time, then...

I'm aware that some PODs argue the CSA's existence butterflies away WWI.

Again, the question asks for those instances of PODS that don't argue WWI didn't happen. And we've had more than a few PODs that do argue just that.

Also, about these claims that the UK would automatically align with the CSA....

IOTL that didn't happen. Britain didn't need CSA cotton. It had cotton from India.

So far we've had a total of two interesting suggestions, that the return of the Florida Keys might be what's offered, and that France might be a more likely candidate to send a Zimmerman-like telegram.

Others?

Last edited:
Actually, your PoD is in the 1860s with CSA surviving. Otherwise CSA just magically appear in 1914 and no one is going to buy that. You need to have a TL explaining how WW1 happened, starting from your PoD (CSA surviving) and how a situation where such a telegram could have been sent appeared from the beginning for anyone to buy it. And remember butterflies might create a very different war with very different alliances than OTL. Good luck.