WI the greeks had won the battle of corinth

They probaly set off on a conquest to conquer Rome. What do who think happens remember the POD is the battle of corinth

Mummius is dishonoured, the Roman nobles have a big fight amongs each other who gets to lead the nexct army into rich, tasty Greece while the Achaean league spends its time punishing collaborators and generally behaving like they defeated Rome. A few years later, the legions are back and another senatorial fortune is made from loot and ransom.

Late Republican Rome is like playing Civilisation in cheat mode. You measure success against them by how long you could stave off defeat, not by actually beating them.

very intruiging but i think the greeks would trie to fight against rome

Do the Greeks even have a sufficiently powerful central authority at the time? They could barely hold together enough to present a unified front defending themselves, if they were to take war to the Roman territory, they would squabble amongst themselves quite a bit over who gets to lead, who gets what role, which polis is going to be given what, etc. Barring a unifying leader or a strong government (which was all but absent there), there is very little chance they manage to make it to Italy, let alone actually do any real damage.

Anaxagoras

Banned
very intruiging but i think the greeks would trie to fight against rome

Not in a million, trillion years. If the Romans lost the Battle of Corinth (unlikely to begin with), they would have simply come back with another army the next year, and keep doing it as long as necessary until the Greeks were beaten into submission.

As said by others, the Greeks could never decisively defeat the Romans during that period. Even if by a miracle all the Greek leagues and cities would suddenly present a united front, the Republic's population and revenue were many many many times that of a united Greece. Unless Rome is faced simultaneously with a great threat from a third party, i see no way of the Greeks to maintain independence.... Actually... not even that would help since the Seleucid Kingdom (the greatest power of the Middle East) tried to help the Aetolians at about that time, and Rome still managed to defeat them relatively easily.

good point all of you but going back to the last post maybe if there were two parties to help the greek might they start winning. you see my friends made a little contest between us to see who can make the greeks last to modern day and i feel the battle of corinth could have been a POD

Anaxagoras

Banned
good point all of you but going back to the last post maybe if there were two parties to help the greek might they start winning. you see my friends made a little contest between us to see who can make the greeks last to modern day and i feel the battle of corinth could have been a POD

You would have to have a POD way before the Battle of Corinth, because you would need to prevent the Roman Republic from becoming the dominant power in the Mediterranan.

And I have no idea what you're talking about when you say that "maybe if there were two parties to help the greek might they start winning."

Anaxagoras

Banned
Thats what I need help with.

Who? Answer: Can't think of anyone. There is nobody left who can take on the Romans.

Why? Answer: Can't think of any reason. Any idiot who tried to take the Romans on at this point is either incredibly stupid or suicidal. As most human beings are rational creatures, you're not going to find anyone to ally with the Greeks.

How? Answer: Can't see how. As already pointed out, the population and logistical advantages the Roman Republic enjoyed at this point make it virtually impossible for any combination of enemies to defeat them.

In other words, you can go ahead and drop this POD. History isn't a game of Age of Empires, you know.

From the discussion it appears tha the POD has to be the rise of a personality who can unify the Greeks, maybe someone who can lay claim to the mantle of Alexander the Great.

If some such person arises and somehow cobbles together a victory, then, on the strength of that victory, he might successfully be able to consolidate his power over Greece before the next attack by Rome.