WI: Ridley Scott directs Star Wars?

What if Lucas had asked Ridley to direct Empire Strikes Back and ROTJ while Lucas remained a producer?

What if Lucas had asked Ridley to direct Empire Strikes Back and ROTJ while Lucas remained a producer?
Should this be a DBWI? Lucas did remain the producer for Empire - he got his old film school teacher Irwin Kirchner to direct it.

Scott was directing Alien for some of the time Empire was shooting - would Lucas have even considered Scott prior to its release?

Jedi is a better bet - when was it shot? Blade Runner was shooting at the start of '82 - would there have been a clash there?

Should this be a DBWI?
No, because Scott didn't direct ESB or ROTJ in OTL. A DBWI is when we speculate on events that did happen in OTL, from the perspective of an ATL where they didn't. For example, something like "DBWI: George Lucas doesn't direct The Empire Strikes Back?" This, however, is just a simple WI.

I concur with Gareth about ESB. Regarding ROTJ -- Blade Runner was filmed in 1981, while ROTJ was filmed in early 1982, but there'll definitely be overlap in Blade Runner's post-production with ROTJ's filming period.

For the sake of discussion, Alien is finished before Empire begins production, and Lucas is so impressed by Alien, he hires Ridley to direct ESB and ROTJ

How does his style affect the plot?

Willmatron

Banned
Everthing is a little darker. Lando's betrayal is worse and there is the hint of Vader's massacre of Jedi children.

No, because Scott didn't direct ESB or ROTJ in OTL. A DBWI is when we speculate on events that did happen in OTL, from the perspective of an ATL where they didn't. For example, something like "DBWI: George Lucas doesn't direct The Empire Strikes Back?" This, however, is just a simple WI.
I read the OP as implying that Lucas had directed both films as well as producing them - which would put us in DBWI territory.

I think the OP is simply asking what the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi would be like if directed by Ridley Scott. The DBWI stuff doesn't seem relevant.

If Lucas remains involved in any capacity you still get the pressure for cute muppets and teddy bears. If Ridley Scott says no to muppets and teddy bears then Lucas would fire him.

If Scott directs you get more shots focusing on the scenery and atmosphere. The actors have to do more takes to get things right which will up the budget.

Although Scott is not a writer some of the script would be altered and certainly the style of delivery. Yoda would be a darker figure with hints of a hidden agenda. The Han Solo torture scene would be a little stronger and I see Darth Vader acting differently towards Luke. Why would he reveal that he's Luke's father only after trying to kill him for 10 minutes, cutting off his hand and forcing him to the edge of a precipice?

ROTJ would be less goofy, have less muppets and the sudden she's your sister stuff would be handled with more shock and OMG the possible incest implications. The showdown with the Emperor would be darker and Darth Vader would have more dialogue.

Given Alien's subject mater, I don't think Lucas would have pressured Scott into introducing the Ewoks. We may even had the Wookiees as originally planned, and Scott may even have Endor take a hefty blow from the Death Star's destruction in VI, if he decides to take that route.