What if Jerusalem had assented to the 1538 Sanhedrin.

Also, reading this latest post at the Chabad at my campus, so the section with them made me chuckle a bit as my rabbi was also in the room, with the timing and all, lol.
The deep history of Chabad is actually one of the things I've learned writing this - I hadn't realized it went back to the 1770s, nor did I know that R. Shneur Zalman was so Tsarist. The best stories to write are the ones where you learn something along the way.

Now I'm almost curious to know what your rabbi would think of this story, although it's probably wisest not to know.

The deep history of Chabad is actually one of the things I've learned writing this - I hadn't realized it went back to the 1770s, nor did I know that R. Shneur Zalman was so Tsarist. The best stories to write are the ones where you learn something along the way.
exactly or where you go into deep rabbithole. ive often gone panglossian attempts in middle school walks

exactly or where you go into deep rabbithole. ive often gone panglossian attempts in middle school walks
I figured the Chabad Regiment would get your attention - I kind of like @St. Just's idea of the Tsars coming to view certain Hasidic rabbinic dynasties as subject chieftains, so I decided that R. Shneur Zalman's fear of a more radical Napoleonic Sanhedrin would lead him to recruit a regiment and that the regiment would gain a patron at court. As I mentioned when we discussed this before, the Hasidim will have very deep-seated anti-semitism in the Russian court and church to contend with, so they'll never be honored the way Cossacks are, but even IOTL, the Tsars sometimes granted privileges to Jews they found useful. Their status could end up being one of TTL's alternative models for Jews coming to terms with the modern world.

Anyway, the next update - the last of the sub-arc which has theater-themed titles - will be called "Encore," so you can probably guess at least one of the things that will be featured in it. Then, it will be time for some of the recent developments to start playing out.

Also, question for the non-Jews in the audience: is this story accessible, and are any concepts that need explaining sufficiently explained?
I know approximately 5% of the history, vocabulary, and theological concepts of Jewish culture, and I'm still enjoying it. Has definitely taught me a few things and had me do a bit of research here and there to try and better understand the goings-on.

I've been enjoying it. I'm curious as to what other alternative arrangements and cultural methods of accommodation with a modern world and non-Jewish home nations will develop. In particular, it must be said from what I've seen that things are pretty heavily focused on specifically Israel/the Levant and is now expanding to Europe, so I'm wondering what other potential models whether original or modified might evolve around other Middle Eastern, North African, and Ethiopian Jews, to say nothing of the ones already afield in the United States and other New World colonies.

I know approximately 5% of the history, vocabulary, and theological concepts of Jewish culture, and I'm still enjoying it. Has definitely taught me a few things and had me do a bit of research here and there to try and better understand the goings-on.

I've been enjoying it. I'm curious as to what other alternative arrangements and cultural methods of accommodation with a modern world and non-Jewish home nations will develop. In particular, it must be said from what I've seen that things are pretty heavily focused on specifically Israel/the Levant and is now expanding to Europe, so I'm wondering what other potential models whether original or modified might evolve around other Middle Eastern, North African, and Ethiopian Jews, to say nothing of the ones already afield in the United States and other New World colonies.
For the U.S. reform hasnt started but given the Tauro synagogue in Providence is nominally sephardic Id go following the Maharitz. but youre right we've fallen for the Levantine trap in Jewish historiography.

even those of us with more understand can research. Like I know nothing of the Napoleonic Sanhedrin delegates

Also, question for the non-Jews in the audience: is this story accessible, and are any concepts that need explaining sufficiently explained?
Not only am I not Jewish but this period of history, particularly in the Holy Land and the areas around it, is one which I know less about, so there are quite a few things new to me.
Whenever there's something which I don't fully understand, I've got three options: (1) skip over it and hope it's not important; (2) re-read a few times (including going back to other chapters if needed) to try to work it out in context; or (3) look up more information. When I've got time, I usually go for the second option first (I like to puzzle things out myself if I can). For fuller understanding, the third option is often the best and I've learned a number of new things (thank you). If I don't have much time, then I am sometimes forced to skip over things, but I've found that in many cases it becomes clearer later on anyway. Even if not, I still find the story engaging.

I'm curious as to what other alternative arrangements and cultural methods of accommodation with a modern world and non-Jewish home nations will develop. In particular, it must be said from what I've seen that things are pretty heavily focused on specifically Israel/the Levant and is now expanding to Europe, so I'm wondering what other potential models whether original or modified might evolve around other Middle Eastern, North African, and Ethiopian Jews, to say nothing of the ones already afield in the United States and other New World colonies.
For the U.S. reform hasnt started but given the Tauro synagogue in Providence is nominally sephardic Id go following the Maharitz. but youre right we've fallen for the Levantine trap in Jewish historiography.
At this point in the story, the Jewish population of the US and British North America is in low four figures - this is before the Second Migration, let alone the Third [1] - and the number of Jews elsewhere in the Americas was negligible unless you count romantic and most likely inaccurate legends about converso families. The American Jews are important in that they're pioneering a model of Jewish life based on individual liberty and loose community organization, but even there, the UK (and ITTL, Acre) are more significant examples of that model. The Americas might be part of this story down the line, but they aren't yet.

Ethiopia too - Eldad ha-Dani aside [2], the Ethiopian Jews and the Euro-MENA mainstream aren't going to rediscover each other until somewhat later in the 19th century.

MENA is of course a more glaring omission. We're going to see more of it fairly soon - for instance, Iraq will enter the chat when the Sassoons make their first appearance at the end of the 1799-1815 arc, and the Iraqi and Persian Jews will continue to figure in the 1840 arc. OTOH, this timeline has turned into a story about an alternate Jewish modernity (I'm probably cheating a bit in describing some of the emerging arrangements in Russia and the Wadi Ara as "modern," but YKWIM), and the Jews of the Maghreb, Yemen and even Anatolia/Balkans at this time are premodern in their internal structure and their relationship with wider society. Some of them will progress toward one or more of the models of modernity that are appearing here and others will migrate toward those models (as some already have), but I'm not sure how deep in the weeds I'll be getting with those homelands.

(Also, the last time I tried to build an entire alternate world, it took me four years, and while I'm enjoying this project, I don't plan on spending nearly that long on it. So the scope of future arcs will be necessarily limited.)

[1] A long time ago, I did "Spinoza migrates to Constantinople after being excommunicated and, among many other things, indirectly touches off an early Second Migration," which you can find here if you don't mind some inaccuracy about how Ottoman politics and religious administration worked at the time. But this isn't that story.

[2] That there were Jews in Ethiopia was something that Jews elsewhere "knew" for centuries before they actually knew. It's amazingly, beautifully ironic that the charlatan Eldad ha-Dani turned out to be right after all.

Last edited:
At this point in the story, the Jewish population of the US and British North America is in low four figures - this is before the Second MIgration, let alone the Third [1] - and the number of Jews elsewhere in the Americas was negligible unless you count romantic and most likely inaccurate legends about converso families. The American Jews are important in that they're pioneering a model of Jewish life based on individual liberty and loose community organization, but even there, the UK (and ITTL, Acre) are more significant examples of that model. The Americas might be part of this story down the line, but they aren't yet.
true are we sure the third will even happen. Probably, because the czars arent that different from OTL
MENA is of course a more glaring omission. We're going to see more of it fairly soon - for instance, Iraq will enter the chat when the Sassoons make their first appearance at the end of the 1799-1815 arc, and the Iraqi and Persian Jews will continue to figure in the 1840 arc.
someone remembers them
OTOH, this timeline has turned into a story about an alternate Jewish modernity (I'm probably cheating a bit in describing some of the emerging arrangements in Russia and the Wadi Ara as "modern," but YKWIM), and the Jews of the Maghreb, Yemen and even Anatolia/Balkans at this time are premodern in their internal structure and their relationship with wider society. Some of them will progress toward one or more of the models of modernity that are appearing here and others will migrate toward those models (as some already have), but I'm not sure how deep in the weeds I'll be getting with those homelands.

(Also, the last time I tried to build an entire alternate world, it took me four years, and while I'm enjoying this project, I don't plan on spending nearly that long on it. So the scope of future arcs will be necessarily limited.)

[2] That there were Jews in Ethiopia was something that Jews elsewhere "knew" for centuries before they actually knew. It's amazingly, beautifully ironic that the charlatan Eldad ha-Dani turned out to be right after all.
I love it when that happens. "I was right?, I was scamming people\joking attempting to avoid my responsibility" Like Life of Brian getting the fractitious nature of Jewish rebellion groups in 1st century Palestine accurate when their target was their contemporary UK left politics or Assyria having six capitals or the entire plot of The Importance of Being Earnest or Sadi Carnots equations being right although caloric doesn't exist.

This TL has been very informative and I have learned alot about the history of Palestine that I did not know or very vaguely knew before. I had just about zero knowledge of the hebrew terms for the various different things but I am usually able to pick it up from context or do a quick wiki walk to find out.

s.

The Or Tamid is modeled pretty consciously on al-Azhar as well as the Babylonian academies. The Bonapartist yeshiva, however, will be closer to the path of Volozhin, and could become an interesting mess, especially since it will face pressure to become a Restorationist yeshiva, then an Orleanist yeshiva, then etc. etc. In any event, I think we're beginning to see how the emancipation bargain in Europe ITTL is diverging from OTL, and that will affect the future of European Jews and the Yishuv both.
especially if the Rashei Yeshiva have an annoying habit of dying just as regime changes occur in France or are so beheolden to the french State that it becomes practice of Restorationists, Orleanists to sack Rashei Yeshiva appoited under a different political climate

especially if the Rashei Yeshiva have an annoying habit of dying just as regime changes occur in France or are so beheolden to the french State that it becomes practice of Restorationists, Orleanists to sack Rashei Yeshiva appoited under a different political climate
AFAIK, none of those regimes went in much for Putin-style arranged accidents. The more likely procedure would be for the rosh yeshiva from the old regime to be told it's time to retire or "promoted" to a powerless sinecure job - if he resists or makes trouble, then he might get charged with something, but retirement would be the first step. Regime change would definitely mean personnel change - that happened in pretty much all French governmental institutions IOTL, so if there's a state yeshiva, it would happen there too.

AFAIK, none of those regimes went in much for Putin-style arranged accidents. The more likely procedure would be for the rosh yeshiva from the old regime to be told it's time to retire or "promoted" to a powerless sinecure job - if he resists or makes trouble, then he might get charged with something, but retirement would be the first step. Regime change would definitely mean personnel change - that happened in pretty much all French governmental institutions IOTL, so if there's a state yeshiva, it would happen there too.
i wasnt going there i was thinking how Volozhin began dynastically until Rabbi chaims sons in laws argued over which was his heir. Or Justice Ginsberg continually over the course of the century not Putin.

I am not Jewish and I must admit that sometimes I have to do a little research not to lose track. But OTOH, I find the idea of TTL's POD and subsequent developments fascinating.

One of my favorite sources for AH TL has always been Israel and Zionism, particularly the possibilities of an earlier version of it. Maybe my knowledge about the Jewish religion is much more limited, but following TTL has made me learn a lot of new things in the way I like best: by analyzing why things developed or not the way they did from a counterfactual angle

I am not Jewish and I must admit that sometimes I have to do a little research not to lose track. But OTOH, I find the idea of TTL's POD and subsequent developments fascinating.

One of my favorite sources for AH TL has always been Israel and Zionism, particularly the possibilities of an earlier version of it. Maybe my knowledge about the Jewish religion is much more limited, but following TTL has made me learn a lot of new things in the way I like best: by analyzing why things developed or not the way they did from a counterfactual angle
this is more neo-chassidim at the birth of chasidim. ie https://www.brandeis.edu/tauber/publications/pdfs/assaf-magid-review.pdf

There's some irony in them being neo- not only because they interact more with modernity than IOTL but because they're more in touch with their precursors. OTOH, in Russia at least, there may also be some of the OTL early 19th-century lawlessness, especially if the tsarist rabbinical dynasties are treated as second-class Cossack hetmen. There could be conflict between tsarist and anti-tsarist rabbinical courts, for instance.
also i agree with you butterflies be damned adon olam must be protected.
Adon Olam is pre-POD, isn't it? But we definitely need to preserve the one piyyut that can be sung to every tune ever invented.

There's some irony in them being neo- not only because they interact more with modernity than IOTL but because they're more in touch with their precursors. OTOH, in Russia at least, there may also be some of the OTL early 19th-century lawlessness, especially if the tsarist rabbinical dynasties are treated as second-class Cossack hetmen. There could be conflict between tsarist and anti-tsarist rabbinical courts, for instance.
I thinking its Carlbach and Buber in the era of rabbi shneur zalman of liadi
Adon Olam is pre-POD, isn't it? But we definitely need to preserve the one piyyut that can be sung to every tune ever invented.
i think so. I was reading your spinoza in turkey timeline where you made that comment