What if Edward the confessor had a daughter

Yes. There still was little to no precedent for queens regnant in England then. They'd still have to choose a new king and said king still would have to deal with Harald Hardrada and William's claims. I can see whoever prevails marrying Edward's daughter to one of his sons to help legitimize themselves further, though.

Last edited:
There is a good argument that Edward was a figurehead and the Godwin's were the real rulers after 1052, resented by Edward (hence no sex w/ Queen Edith Godwin and promising the throne to William).

They did kill his brother after all.

So, girl is raised very carefully by her mother and marries one of Harold's five sons, probably Godwin who is likely the eldest and Harold is regent for a couple years. William has no basis to contest the throne and Harald may or may not challenge her husband/king.

Last edited:
What if Edward marries her off to Robert Curthose
It supposes Edward is the most powerful man in the kingdom, which he isn't.

If it happens somehow, it happens pre death. That puts Robert on the throne of England diplomatically, which means he's surrounded by Saxons.

Last edited:
Yes. There still was little to no precedent for queens regnant in England then. They'd still have to choose a new king and said king still would have to deal with Harald Hardrada and William's claims. I can see whoever prevails marrying Edward's daughter to one of his sons to help legitimize themselves further, though.

Was there any precedent for a son-in-law to inherit?

Was there any precedent for a son-in-law to inherit?
I don’t think so, but there was precedence for a brother in law to inherit, like how Wessex took over Mercia?! That said, if the Wittengamot rubber stamps it, then screw precedence,. After Canute became king though, I don’t think people really cared about precedence.

So, girl is raised very carefully by her mother and marries one of Harold's five sons, probably Godwin who is likely the eldest and Harold is regent for a couple years. William has no basis to contest the throne and Harald may or may not challenge her husband/king.

Anglo-Saxons weren't super into close cousin marriage.

Not saying it can't be forced through in the context of 1066, but perhaps something to be mindful of.