What If? Edward II had married a surviving Maid of Norway?

Inspired by @Kellan Sullivan's 'Male Maid of Norway' thread and a conversation I had with a colleague this afternoon (I work in a Castle, history chats are the norm): What might have happened if Edward I had managed to successfully marry Edward II off to a surviving Maid of Norway, the young Margaret, Queen of Scotland? They were betrothed and she was supposed to marry him within a twelvemonth of returning to Scotland, apparently, but of course died of the effects of seasickness in Orkney in 1290, at the age of seven. What if she hadn't? What if they had married? What would that have done to England, to Scotland, and of course, to Anglo-Scottish relations down the centuries? Any Thoughts?

At a guess, sooner or later the English would push the Scots too far, and the Scots would manage to disallow Margaret's right. There would probably be a number of Scots who would stay loyal, if only because they hated the rebels personally. And, as in otl, the French would back the anti-England faction.

I can see what you're saying, but it depends on when this happens. If Edward and Margaret manage to have a child, preferably a son, first, might Margaret be forced to abdicate in favour of her young son, a la Mary Queen of Scots? Margaret would be able to have children by c.1300, if memory serves me correctly. Which means Edward I may well die with a grandson in the cradle, or even the nursery. Since nothing is likely to change Edward II's character/obsession with Gaveston, how would having an older son affect his reign?

I think Isabel of France might be married to Edward II's son to prevent the French supporting a revolt...since he can have sons by 1299.

I think Isabel of France might be married to Edward II's son to prevent the French supporting a revolt...since he can have sons by 1299.

Probably not, and she would've wound up as queen of Castile in this scenario - like her older and younger sisters were supposed to be.

As to the potential of Edward II having kids by Margaret, she'd presumably hit puberty around 1294/1295 (11/12yo), and it's not impossible that she would be under pressure to have children sooner rather than later. So, I'd say 1297/8 (as cruel as it sounds, for reasons of politics, if nothing more) as the earliest Maggie is likely to find herself with child.

Now, can she be deposed à la Mary Stuart? Sure, why not. One problem, you're deposing her - whose husband is either the king of England/prince of Wales (depending on when this deposition happens) - in favour of a baby/child who is going to succeed to that throne in Westminster in due course. Sure, you can do something dodgy with the succession and split the crowns between a first and second child, but as long as Edward Longshanks is alive, I have a feeling the Scots are gonna be leery of doing anything. They might also be aware, if you depose Queen Maggie (and her English children), that you're opening a whole can of worms. You have King Edward II murdered à la Darnley, you're opening a can of worms. And that can of worms is called "English reaction". Edward I won't stand by and watch his son be dethroned (if Braveheart is correct in portraying the relationship between Longshanks and his son), likewise Edward II is proud/vain enough that he would certainly have a reaction to it. Edward II is murdered by Scots, the English will have a field day with that and it would probably lead to war (or threats of war) in the wild and woolly north.

@REICHFURST had a TL, sadly dormant, on this exact premise (the Maid of Norway marrying Edward II).

Probably not, and she would've wound up as queen of Castile in this scenario - like her older and younger sisters were supposed to be.

As to the potential of Edward II having kids by Margaret, she'd presumably hit puberty around 1294/1295 (11/12yo), and it's not impossible that she would be under pressure to have children sooner rather than later. So, I'd say 1297/8 (as cruel as it sounds, for reasons of politics, if nothing more) as the earliest Maggie is likely to find herself with child.

Now, can she be deposed à la Mary Stuart? Sure, why not. One problem, you're deposing her - whose husband is either the king of England/prince of Wales (depending on when this deposition happens) - in favour of a baby/child who is going to succeed to that throne in Westminster in due course. Sure, you can do something dodgy with the succession and split the crowns between a first and second child, but as long as Edward Longshanks is alive, I have a feeling the Scots are gonna be leery of doing anything. They might also be aware, if you depose Queen Maggie (and her English children), that you're opening a whole can of worms. You have King Edward II murdered à la Darnley, you're opening a can of worms. And that can of worms is called "English reaction". Edward I won't stand by and watch his son be dethroned (if Braveheart is correct in portraying the relationship between Longshanks and his son), likewise Edward II is proud/vain enough that he would certainly have a reaction to it. Edward II is murdered by Scots, the English will have a field day with that and it would probably lead to war (or threats of war) in the wild and woolly north.

@REICHFURST had a TL, sadly dormant, on this exact premise (the Maid of Norway marrying Edward II).

Thanks for this! I will definitely check that TL out!