What if Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Singapore and Malta became a one federation(Commonwealth)?

*Personally, I want to upload an image that I made myself, but when I uploaded it, it only popped up that I couldn't because of the capacity, so I can't upload anything i have about it.

Hello, I am a user who is interested in alternative history that I just joined recently.

Some times ago, I was searching something interest on Reddit, I briefly entered r/CANZUK, which is gradually discussed after Brexit. And after discussing that that thread, i wondered if these four countries and Malta and Singapore, which help to connect these four countries. would become one country and work in the 21st century.

Of course, I know well that this is silly, but I'm still curious about what if those six countries become a federation, so I ask it for users who are interested about it.

*Disclaimer: I'm not a person living in those six countries, and I don't know much about local circumstances and history.

They would separate very shortly due to the massive geographic distances separating each other (among many other reasons). New Zealand didn't want to join the Australian federation due the perceived distance it is from the rest of the Australian colonies.

Even in just simply large countries themselves like Canada and Australia, there is a sense of western alienation due to the great distances between the western states/provinces and the larger eastern population centers. Let alone being separated by actual Oceans.

Last edited:
I personally think that if CANZUK forms it could become a potentially compete with the EU and China for influence as well as soft and hard power across the world.

Also this thread would fit more in the future history section.

I personally think that if CANZUK forms it could become a potentially compete with the EU and China for influence as well as soft and hard power across the world.

Also this thread would fit more in the future history section.
The story of the Federation(CANZUKMS) that I thought of starts in 1931, so I wrote it in this thread.

And I'm sorry about my mistake, i forgot to turn off the Google translation.

Back in the days when left-wing third-worldism was still sort of a thing(the era of Mrs. Gandhi, Nyerere, Manley, the anti-apartheid struggle etc), you occassionally saw it suggested by anglosphere conservatives that CANZUK should ditch the Commonwealth and hang together as a supposedly more civilized and sensible post-imperial alliance.

Personally, I think that sort of alt-Commonwealth is the closest you'd ever get to the OP's challenge, and it would indeed have the ideological auspices envisioned by those right-wing cranks.

I do think that a few non-white or not-quite-white outposts of post-imperial respectability could be admitted to the club, such as Singapore or Malta. But you'd never get someone like Singapore's Mr. Lee to agree to govern his province in a manner as democratic as what prevailed in the UK, Canada etc.

Last edited: