What country do you think deserves a wank?

What country that usually doesn’t get a wank do you guys think deserves one? I for one think Italy (Non-Fascist) should get a wank, they are always that empire that couldn’t quite make it in the big leagues, or better yet how about an Italian state wank, the little italy's rarely get any recognition. Anyway that’s my two cents what do you all think?

The Ottomans for one, you see them getting screwed over a lot, them being "the Sick Man of Europe" and all. Austria-Hungary deserves a wank too if you consider it always ends up a sidekick to Germany, at best, where it once was a great power, if it isn't broken up (also happens a lot in TLs).

China is another, they could have been so much more than they are now had they not suffered from nearly one-half century's worth of idiotic leadership from 1839 to 1976 that would have been declared ASB had it not actually happened. Apart from Superpower Empire, there aren't many Sinowanks out there.

I suppose the Meso American civilizations that Spain squashed qualify too, more so since I've yet to see a TL where they beat the Spanish and last until today. Modern South America deserves a nice wank too considering that it invariably ends up as the backyard of the United States; Brazilian Empire surviving would be nice (*cough* timeline *cough*). A Mughal wank and a non-British India would be cool too (*cough* timeline *cough*).

Africa in general: in almost all post-1800 timelines they end up colonized no matter what happens in Europe and end up the same as they are today, i.e. wartorn, impoverished, corrupt etc (though I guess that also has to do with the fact that we don't have a lot of African expertise around here).

As a bit of a nationalist, I have to add my own country as well: the Netherlands don't have a lot of wanks on here, except perhaps some in the ASB forum. The Belgian Revolution failing would be a nice start in setting up the Netherlands as a respectable middle power.

Well, aside from a couple of flashforwards to the 1490s - still a long time before present day - you're still working your way through the 600s. We haven't seen the Maya beat the Spaniards or storm the beaches at Normandy. :D

Bruce
Well in the last iteration I got far enough that they just beat Cortez and Velazquez was about to open up negotiations but I got dissatisfied with the way I did it and so I restarted.

And actually the flash-forwards were in the 1510's. :p

Last edited:
- HRE

- Hungary (allied with Germany)

- Baltic Prussians

- Armenia/ Caucasus Federation

- (Greater) Colombia

- Ancient Egypt

- Abyssinia/ Ethiopia

- Israel

- Namibia/ German Southwest Africa (that owns Okawango delta)

Well in the last iteration I got far enough that they just beat Cortez and Velazquez was about to open up negotiations but I got dissatisfied with the way I did it and so I restarted.

And actually the flash-forwards were in the 1510's. :p

Ah, I mis-remember. For some reason I thought the Spaniards arrived early.

Bruce

I think a Scotland wank would be good, definitely a wank of the smaller British regions, say Northumbria, Winchester, Wales, Ireland, Cornwall, etc.
But not as part of a united British state.

What country that usually doesn’t get a wank do you guys think deserves one? I for one think Italy (Non-Fascist) should get a wank, they are always that empire that couldn’t quite make it in the big leagues, or better yet how about an Italian state wank, the little italy's rarely get any recognition. Anyway that’s my two cents what do you all think?

The Roman empire isn't in the big league?

El Reino de la Araucanía y de la Patagonia.
The 'Great South' of America was still essentially free and uncontrolled by the mid-19th C., and was subdued only in 1881. At that time human rights and the right of peoples to self-determination were not unheard of -if generally ignored- and a Major Power could have realized occupation may be less cost-effective than protection of a client state.
Thus Araucania-Patagonia could have emerged as an almost purely 'Native' American country. De Tounens got impassioned with the Mapuche cause (somehow like Byron for the Greek one), his creation of the kingdom was not an 'Emperor Norton' fancy but an attempt to give the Mapuches a presence on the international scene. But nobody cared for the Mapuches, Patagonia had remained independent so far precisely because it was totally unappealing (and every Major Power was slaughtering its own 'savages', anyway). Had its soil held an ore so far neglected and requiring large scale exploitation (zinc?)....

Catalonia. During the War of Spanish Succession it fought most stubbornly against the new Bourbon king. Catalonia was culturally (Catalan is a French Langue d'Oc) and historically (Roussillon was part of it until 1659) closer to Southern France than to Castille. Given that the sincerity of Philipe d'Anjou's withdrawal from the French line of succession was already doubtful, Philippe d'Orléans with a little more foresight may have supported an independent Catalonia as a client state / foothold South of the Pyrenees. As a gesture he may have even given Roussillon back: except as a source of good Mountain Fusiliers the troublesome province had proven barely worth annexation. The massacres ordered by Philip V (the memory of which is still vivid in Catalonia) would have provided the excuse for a form of'humanitarian intervention', at least a diplomatic one -Catalans were not only Christians but good Catholics, and Major Powers only need an excuse; and Philip V could not really do without French troops.

Or more widely, and earlier, a Pais d'Oc (kindom of Tolosa?) in Southern France, from Gascony to Provence, from Limousin to Catalonia and the Balearic Islands. The culture of the countries of Langues d'Oc, the lands of fin’amor (courtly love), trobadors and admired female trobairitz, and religious tolerance (Raymond VI of Toulouse's leniency toward the Cathars was the excuse of the Albigensian Crusade) has a lot of appeal. But maybe it was doomed for to being bloodthirsty enough?

Last edited: