TLIAD: Cain and Unable, A Tragedy

“But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.”
- Genesis, 4:5​

22nd September 2010

It will be just like taking off a plaster, the Shadow Foreign Secretary thought to himself. Fair enough, it will hurt like hell to start with, but really, he has to be taught a lesson.

“David Miliband, in the MPs and MEPs section, received seventeen point eight one two percent...”

She’s really mugging this, David Miliband thought to himself as Ann Black pedantically went down to three decimal places.

“…in the members section, eighteen point one three five percent...”

David Miliband barely registered the figures, instead taking all his energy to focus very hard on not so much as glancing at the figure three seats to his left. Perhaps he would be given Shadow BIS, but only if there was a backbench revolt about having to keep the internal elections in place.

“…and in the affiliates section, thirteen point four zero percent...”

There was a flurry of gasps. This time, he did take attention of the people around him. He paused, adding the numbers.

“…making a total of forty-nine point…”

Here it comes.

“…point three five percent…”

There was no way this should have happened. Unite had been their usual self-defeating fools, but that should not have been enough to tip him over the edge. Surely.

There was derisory applause.

“…Ed Miliband, in the MPs and MEPs section, received fifteen point five two two percent…”

That was less than he got, obviously.

“…in the members section, fifteen point one nine eight percent...”

Fewer people there as well, he noted, stretching his lips into his best approximation of a smile.

“…and in the affiliates, nineteen point nine three four percent…”

There was cheering, far louder than it possibly warranted. This time, he did look to his side. There was Andy, doing his usual impression of a lost Scouse puppy. To the other, wedging him to the side was Diane, who was still coming across like a fan who had won a competition. Ed, not his Ed, was already clapping. That was typical enough of the Brownites of course. Family ties matter nothing, so long as it meant that Gordon could have his way.

“…making…”

Better start making some sort of reaction, he thought as one synapse kicked into gear, bypassing the brain and making directly for the legs, or this is not going to play well to the cameras.

“…a total of…”

Why is the room spinning, he thought to himself, as his legs carried him down towards the new Leader of the Labour Party. In five seconds, the past five years flashed passed. The slight twinge of fear when he’d heard about the selection in Doncaster North should have resonated more. On the morning after Tony had gone, there had been that momentary flash of anger when he had heard who had been appointed to the Cabinet Office. He had dismissed it of course, being far too pleased with kicking around the Locarno Suit. Yet it had all come unstuck, he remembered, when he had dithered over the Guardian letter.

“David,” he heard a whisper, “thanks for everything”

Then came the arms, he realised, as he was thrown into a gawky, somewhat stiff, embrace. Typical of you, he thought, as the noised reached a crescendo around him. You always wanted this, there hasn’t been a moment when you didn’t want to get one over on me.

“Well done,” he lied, “it was an honour.”

He still hadn't heard the exact total. The margin of defeat from the affiliates had done it, he paused for a moment, why hadn’t he decided to put Skinner and Jon out on the doorstep more? There were the mutual back slaps going on now, as he muttered a final insincere pleasantry to the man opposite, hoping that he at least left a mark. He moved to the side, still straining the sides of his mouth, as Andy moved in for the kill. There was a flash as the first of the cameras started their political paparazzi attack, leaving him momentarily blinded. He looked to the side, noticing six of his campaign team sat a few rows away, most of them not even trying to hide their disappointment. For a moment, he simply stood, witnessing a tear slide down on of the staffers’ cheeks.

He realised what he needed to do.

“…and the winner, and Leader of the Labour Party…”

Ed had reached the stage now, not even waiting for Black to finish off the final figure. Not for the first time, each number had hit him like a dagger in the chest. Was this it, he thought, a legacy that had peaked as a fag-end Foreign Secretary?

“…on behalf of all the party,” Black said, summing up, “I offer you my congratulations, our congratulations and our support.”

You almost sound like you mean it, David thought, still clapping away. The rest of you don’t though, do you? He looked around again, aside from Hilary and the NUT mob at the far end of the chamber, everyone else seemed to be wearing plastered on smiles and nonplussed expressions. He sniffed, even Balls looked uninspired now, as if realising that he had not split the vote in the way that he had expected to.

“…are you going to stay with us?” Burnham whispered out of the corner of his mouth.

Turning his attention back towards the stage, hearing the first adenoidal words from his new Leader, David Miliband remembered what it felt like to hate.

“You know what Andy,” he found himself saying, “I rather think that I will…”​

Last edited:
9065398287_e020a2a738_z.jpg

Hello Roem, what on earth are you doing?

This is a Time Line In A Day.

Oh, so you have nicked yet another idea from Meadow.

I don’t know what you are talking about.

Well, not content with stealing the best bits from EdT and Jared’s stuff, you want to do an enfeebled version of a TLIAD?

I am nothing if not shameless – however, I am the only person in the office today, and I don’t have anything better to do.

But, you opened with a fecking passage from the KJB, how is everyone supposed to feel?

In my defence, I haven’t read “The Bloody Man” for a few weeks now. As I said, I wanted something creative to do, there are only so many times I can listen to Ruddigore in one day.

So, the good people of the LSE Students’ Union are basically paying you to do this instead of representing them?

Well, I am a lame duck at the moment and currently have about two dozen job applications on the go, so personally, I think that I am owed some free time to be perfectly honest.

So, this is a British political TLIAD is it? Well, that is original.

Don’t be horrid. You cannot expect me to efficient and original can you? Anyway, I am still going to endeavour to get this done by noon tomorrow.

Well, I shall await with baited breath.

Please do. Also, if you know anyone to do research for them, I am available for any work based commitments after 13th July.

I cannot help you with that, I am a fictional character having a conversation with you for the sake of narrative purposes.

Fair enough.​

Last edited:
I went on a real journey when I saw your name under this title on the After 1900 board, a journey that has not quite ended yet (my heart rate is still quite high). Excellent, excellent, excellent. I was just bemoaning how I basically have nothing to do today, so I'll be watching this like a hawk.

So, from what I can glean, Mili-D is going the opposite direction to that which he took IOTL, which was obviously to meekly fade into the background and disappear. From this intro, it looks like Blair vs Brown was kids' stuff. I fear for the country.

Opening with returning officers is fun, isn't it? ;) Though I'd be remiss if I didn't play party pooper slightly and say I believe the candidates were all told in private just before the announcement, as is custom in these things.

I went on a real journey when I saw your name under this title on the After 1900 board, a journey that has not quite ended yet (my heart rate is still quite high). Excellent, excellent, excellent. I was just bemoaning how I basically have nothing to do today, so I'll be watching this like a hawk.

So, from what I can glean, Mili-D is going the opposite direction to that which he took IOTL, which was obviously to meekly fade into the background and disappear. From this intro, it looks like Blair vs Brown was kids' stuff. I fear for the country.

You sweetheart. Yeah, I was rather board today and fancied a challenge. I think that, rather like IAAL, this is going to be somewhat satirical and taken with a pinch of salt, but it should still be a laugh. One thing it isn't is a shallow attempt to put me over the millennial post mark.

Opening with returning officers is fun, isn't it? ;) Though I'd be remiss if I didn't play party pooper slightly and say I believe the candidates were all told in private just before the announcement, as is custom in these things.

It adds a sense of drama doesn't it? I also have no idea what you mean about being told before. The narritive obviously was, after all, one cannot edit anything once you have posted it.

Huzzah! For those of us with tiny attention spans, TLIADs are a godsend :D

Hurray! I realise that I probably won't have the chance to actually get this done in a day, but a challenge is a challenge. Hope you enjoy the ride.

8th October 2010

It had been a while since Ed Miliband’s office had been so busy. In one corner of the room, yet another post-it note was written, attached to the whiteboard, quickly considered and then hastily removed. In doing so, yet another political career was aborted, to the knowledge of no one aside the Leader of the Opposition, his chief of staff and the new - for the next thirty seconds - Shadow Leader of the House. At one end of the room, Peter Hain swore under his breath.

“You can’t really put Yvette at Home,” Lucy Powell was saying, “it will just look like you want to go after May by proxy.”

Another scrunch.

“After what he said the other day though,” Ed replied, “I am lumbered with putting him opposite Osborne and there is no way that Alan will be prepared to be shunted too far away, no matter what he said to Robinson.”

Hain looked at the clock for the fifth time in as many minutes, they were going to miss the deadline for the six o’clock news at this rate.

“Ah-ha,” the younger Miliband yelled, “we can move Ed over to Shadow Home, keep Yvette as Shadow Foreign Sec, leave David where he is and then that means that all we have to do is ask Sadiq to take over at Scot…”

The three of them groaned in unison.

“Look Ed,” Hain found himself saying, “just because David ‘accidentally’ let slip that he has been offered Shadow Chancellor, that doesn’t mean that you have to do it. Remember, you are the Leader, not him.”

Hain always had the ability to capitalise words by tone alone, Ed thought to himself, taking a step backwards. He let his shoulders slump. No matter how he looked at it, there was no way to allocate enough space.

“We wouldn’t have this problem if we didn’t have to deal with Diane,” he found himself saying. “I only told her to stand; I didn’t expect her to fucking win a place, did I?”

Hain and Powell both shook their heads.

“Right,” he rallied, picking up another stack, “let’s start again...”​

_63229807_ed_miliband.jpg

Last edited:
It's almost like Ed should reform the Shadow Cabinet so it's exclusively by appointment...

Nice opening play by Mili-D. Seems like he really is making up for all that lost conniving time.

I foresee great difficulties ahead for Ed Miliband. Judging from the first scene, David's hanging around more to make trouble for his brother than to help the party. And he's already started by letting it be known that Ed "offered" him the Shadow Chancellor position. I wonder what Ed would have offered David if he hadn't.

Regardless of what Hain says, I can't see any way for Ed to not do as David wants. If he did it would be handing an opening to the Government that they would be utterly unable to resist and it would leave people wondering why he'd reneged on the "offer". There's no way Ed's stupid enough to do that.

Of course, having part of the Shadow Cabinet elected is part of the problem for Ed. No doubt he'll try to get rid of that tradition ASAP (though David may try to throw another spanner in the works there).

Good start. I'll be interested to see how the brother's rivalry goes.

I feel that Hain is giving ideologically good advice rather than politically good advice, wanting to avoid Labour being dominated by the Blairites again instead of seeing the bigger picture. The media are still in "David got backstabbed" mode and if Ed tries to not place him there, or at least Shadow Chief Secretary, and would go into a frenzy if he replaces Johnson with Balls as he did IOTL.

Great work, Roem, as always. I'm pretty excited by this, as are many other readers I imagine, and interested in how David will, or won't, be pulling this off.

14th January 2011

“It isn’t looking great Ed…”

There were certainly worse places in the world than a draughty sports hall in a post-industrial town during the small hours of a January morning, Chris Bryant thought, but the list wasn’t an especially long one.

Oldham East and Saddleworth was still finishing the third recount, although it seemed as though things were picking up for a declaration. Whilst it had been decent enough of David to have put a good word in for him for one of the leadership Cabinet picks, it turned out that “Election Co-Ordinator” involved far more late nights than he had been expecting. Yawning, he almost knocked out one of the junior staffers as another Styrofoam cup of brown was passed into his hand.

“…we – cheers Ben – should have nosed it, but there’s been a lot of fuss over the BNP vote,” he found himself saying, “they seem to have got a bit of a boost from last time.”

Woolas had obviously been wrong, he found himself thinking, but he wondered if it had been wise to have gone for the jugular like that with regards to the various electors of Old and Sad who, rightly or wrongly, had rather suspected that the various claims that had been made about Watkins had been true. Adams, along with the rest of the skinhead crowd, seemed far more cheery than Bryant and the rest of the Labour camp felt.

“Yeah, I think we’ll be alright,” he concluded, trying to make out what Ed was saying in between the crackly reception and the nasal vowels, “but I don’t think there’s much reason for you to come up in the morning, Andy can do the photo-op if we end up having one.”

Ending the call, Bryant looked back up at the stage, where one of the younger candidates was sitting, seemingly unperturbed by the various dark-eyed council workers who were politely asking him to move. Bryant shook his head. How had they allowed the “No To Tuition Fees” mob to pull away the majority of the youth vote? The Duchess of Cornwall being pelted with eggs had been enough to take the wind out of the Opposition response, but it had still been a self-inflicted wound by the Trots. Yet it seemed that all of the main parties were going to get rinsed by the decision, especially after Farage had suddenly decided that the free market couldn’t be trusted on education.

There was an announcement from one end of the hall, with a collective sign of relief emulating around the hall as the candidates filed out. He tried to read Abrahams, but a combination of tiredness and three sort-of espressos, stopped him for making a decision.

“Ms Deborah Abrahams, Labour Party: Eleven thousand, nine hundred and six votes.”

The audience murmured at that, as Bryant tried to square that with the latest figures that he'd heard from the LibDems. He mulled it over, that should have been enough under normal circumstances, but it was still way down on the mean figures that they had juggled with on Tuesday.

Clearing his throat, the Returning Officer made an effort to speak above the hubbub.

“Mr Derek Adams, British National Party: One thousand, nine hundred and fifty four votes.”

Bryant winced.

“Mr Kashif Ali, Conservative Party: Four thousand, eight hundred and sixty six votes.”

Some comfort, Bryant thought, but still too low to have split the commuter belt.

“Mr Peter Allen, Green Party: Six hundred and two votes.”

“Mr David Bishop, Bus-Pass Elvis Party: Twenty eight votes.”

“Mr Nick ‘The Flying Brick’ Delves, Monster Raving Loony Party: Eighty eight votes.”

“Mr David Campbell Bannerman, UK Independence Party: Three thousand, three hundred and thirty seven votes.”

“Mr Laurence Kaye, Pirate Party UK: One hundred and fifteen votes.”

“Mr Stephen Morris, English Democrats: Two hundred and thirty two votes.”

“Ms Clare Solomon, No To Tuition Fees: One thousand, four hundred and twelve votes.”

“Mr Elwyn Watkins, Liberal Democrat Party: Eleven thousand, eight hundred and nine votes. I thereby declare…”

As a muted cheer went out, Bryant realised that he hadn’t taken a breath in about a minute. He let out a gasp that was one third relief, two thirds concern. Student riots, over half a year of quiet opposition and he had almost lost to the sodding Liberals. A shadow came over him as one of the North West reporters came sauntering up.

Deep breaths, Chris, he mentally told himself, a win is a win in trying local circumstances, a win is a win in trying local cir…

“So, the opposition have heldon by fewer than a hundred votes. Surely this is a disappointment for you and Ed Miliband, Mr Bryant?”

“Stuart,” he said, just noticing the name-tag in time, “Can I begin by saying that this is a trying local victory in otherwise winning circumstances…”

“Before you begin the pre-prepared statement, Mr Bryant,” the correspondent said, smirking slightly, “do you believe that – as many voters here do - that Ed Miliband is the wrong brother to be leading the Labour Party.”

Normally, the question would have been easy to bat away, but fatigue was an annoying factor at the best of times.

“Stuart,” Bryant found himself reliving for the next six days, “I remain convinced that David Miliband remains the right man to take this party forwards and that Ed Miliband is absolutely the correct person to…”

Fuck! He had done it now.

What next Chris? Bryant thought. Backtrack? No, plough on, it is three in the morning, only the anoraks would be up.

YouTube, he rationalised earlier, didn’t sleep, so it was hardly a surprise when he ended up going to face Spelman two weeks later.​

_49828414_000171216-1.jpg

Last edited:
Oh no, Chris Bryant's political career is dead, what a shame. :p

Anyway, I'm guessing that David's intervention has led to Labour taking a more muted line of opposition when it comes to opposing government measures which caused the rise in votes for some of the more left wing parties and UKIP's use of a larger figure caused the vote rise.

The elder Miliband must be laughing into his drink as his plan comes together, the Kitchener to Ed's Curzon.

Thande

Donor
I assume the general idea with this one is "WI David Miliband actually was like the caricature that all the tabloids and satirists paint of him?" One could do the same thing with Blair and Brown perhaps.

Nice stuff. I'm considering doing a political TLIAD set in this period myself, so after you lot all do it, then I don't need to bother looking up which key events I need to use as the lynchpins of the segments :p

Oh no, Chris Bryant's political career is dead, what a shame. :p

Anyway, I'm guessing that David's intervention has led to Labour taking a more muted line of opposition when it comes to opposing government measures which caused the rise in votes for some of the more left wing parties and UKIP's use of a larger figure caused the vote rise.

The elder Miliband must be laughing into his drink as his plan comes together, the Kitchener to Ed's Curzon.

You need to stop framing all your political jokes in the 1910s, it's undermining mine and Jack's claim to true hipsterdom by framing all of our own in 1950s Labour factionalism. I'm sorry to sound like such a Douglas Jay about it, but frankly you're really making us look like Bevan at the 1960 conference.

I assume the general idea with this one is "WI David Miliband actually was like the caricature that all the tabloids and satirists paint of him?" One could do the same thing with Blair and Brown perhaps.

Nice stuff. I'm considering doing a political TLIAD set in this period myself, so after you lot all do it, then I don't need to bother looking up which key events I need to use as the lynchpins of the segments :p

One problem I had with the Boris one (that I've only really noticed now) was that I didn't make up many future 'major events' apart from political ones - so after the EU referendum we went from a TL which had scenes in the Riots, the Scottish Independence movement and General Election nights to one that was full of scenes of just people manoeuvring against each other in Whitehall corridors. I guess that's because I didn't intend to write a full-blown FH though, so 'Boris furrowed his brow as he considered how best to respond to the cybernetic annexation of Taiwan' was never really on the cards.

Thande

Donor
You need to stop framing all your political jokes in the 1910s, it's undermining mine and Jack's claim to true hipsterdom by framing all of our own in 1950s Labour factionalism. I'm sorry to sound like such a Douglas Jay about it, but frankly you're really making us look like Bevan at the 1960 conference.

:D We'll now all start reaching further and further back in time and obscurity in the political hipster arms race until we're doing jokes about the factions on Northampton Council in the 1810s...

Thande

Donor
One problem I had with the Boris one (that I've only really noticed now) was that I didn't make up many future 'major events' apart from political ones - so after the EU referendum we went from a TL which had scenes in the Riots, the Scottish Independence movement and General Election nights to one that was full of scenes of just people manoeuvring against each other in Whitehall corridors. I guess that's because I didn't intend to write a full-blown FH though, so 'Boris furrowed his brow as he considered how best to respond to the cybernetic annexation of Taiwan' was never really on the cards.

Well, it's always a balance between thinking 'political AH is about how a different person would react to the same events' and 'AH in general is about having different events', isn't it?