The Story of the Anahuacs: A Native American Timeline

Prehistory

Introduction

Entry #1, 100,000-6,000 BPD (Before Present Day), Global

The Past 100,000 Years, Roughly

Although Human Settlement is nonexistent by this point in the Anahuacs and still confined to the origin continent of Yectal [1] (Africa), it is necessary to understand the underlying mechanisms behind the situation in the Anahuacs [2] by the time of human arrival. Thus, this first section will describe the first 100,000 years in rough detail in order to give a good worldview of the future of the two continents.

We start in the Late Pleistocene, approximately 130,000 years ago, with the peak of the Eemian Interglacial Period succeeding the Riss Glaciation. By this time in the Anahuacs things were relatively stagnant without humanity, so let’s take a slightly greater focus on the Osoan [3] World, with the continents of Yectal, Paqtal [4] (Asia), and Tsawacka [5] (Europe). By 120,000 years ago in Yectal jewelry was being used by Homo Neanderthalensis in Tsawacka and the first bone inscriptions were made denoting a possible proto-language.

The Abbassia Pluvial of the Morikono [6] Desert then occurred, a roughly 20,000 year period during which the Morikono was wet and fertile, in other terms known as the Green Morikono Period. By a hundred millennia ago, the first structures in the world, sandstone blocks organized in a semicircle, were built around the Ytero [7] River in northeast Yectal. 80,000 years ago is where it really gets going, however. This is the current estimated date for the out-of-Yectal hypothesis, where humanity would spread over much of the three continents before finally moving into the Anahuacs.

By 75,000 the Notla [8] supervolcano in Paqtal erupts, causing a dispersal of humanity. By 80,000 BPD (Before Present Day) it is also likely that a small genetic pool of a human species known as homo denisova made it to the Anahuacs before the arrival of homo sapiens, and made a small presence in the northern regions, not spreading further than the Sinaaq Landbridge due to extensive glaciation. This genetic pool is usually identified as the origin of various traits of the modern distribution of peoples across the Anahuacs, and was most likely assimilated into the population as they crossed that same landbridge some 65,000 years later. By 40,000 BPD the technological level of Yecpaqcka (Eurasia-Africa) had remained mainly the same however many important events occurred nonetheless. In Arrawatlaqa [9] (Australia) native Arrawatlaqans arrived and dominated the continent while others spread into the regions dominated by the Neanderthals and interbred them into Homo sapiens, driving them to extinction. By 31,000 BPD we come to the last Glacial Maximum, and most of prehistory is now behind us. This is where the story truly starts.

The Arrival and Dispersal of Humanity​

Humanity by this point was spread across most of Yecpaqcka and was about to make its largest spring yet. From 31,000 BPD to 24,000 BPD technologies such as fiber making are used worldwide and humanity spreads to many more remote corners of the world, such as the isolated and large islands around the world, and technological development was centered around the Pacific by this time, with the Sinnetian culture appearing in the fertile plains of Kina, at the verge of expansion into the Anahuacs.

By 24,000 BPD, after crossing the Sinaaq Land Bridge over thousands of years and successfully making it to the Anahuacs, over a short period of about 12,000 years homo sapiens made it to the Southern Cone of Munduruku [10] (South America). During this time, quite a bit happened, including the extinction of many megafauna in the Anahuacs.

Extinction of the Megafauna and Advancement​

Kaade​

Kaade underwent several successive extinctions of Megafauna due to the early-hunter gatherer nature of the Paleolithic Kaadeans, and as they spread across the continent they wreaked havoc. Here in Figure One you can see a comparison of many species affected by the Megafauna Extinction from all around the world. Various species during this period came closer or became extinct, like Glyptodons, Eremotherium, Tetratornis, and Smilodons. Overhunting was a major cause in megafauna extinction as hunter-gatherer societies were proliferating such as the Aluna within the Mishadipukti River Valley.

Figure One [11][12]
FPGdYqSvKVz-xkxaW6KLZ1AU9b92tIs1aBNgWwaiQ7rSsbP9V3xGlUP4zLUeCEQ4tsHZq_2yLXtDyMzLB-NUfqeLF2ODDKyNIOHoG5kZQHlgu7eyEye4is7_15Jby9xp9aanVer-

(Accidental Misspelling of Osoan under Kimigaak)
Munduruku​

In Munduruku a large extinction had occurred when the isthmus connecting the continent with Kaade formed, however humans presented a new threat. With the arrival of humans, almost all Mundurukan animals larger than 1000 kilograms went extinct. These include toxodonts and machrauchenids, along with a variety of other non-extinct animals present in the continent of Kaade. However, some did survive, large species of capybara prospered throughout the continent as they were large rodents and were soon domesticated by humans shortly after their arrival. This domestication brings us into the next section.

At the Border of Civilization: Advanced Holocene Society in the Anahuacs​

Starting from around 8,000 BPD, we get into the modern age, and what is now called the Holocene. Starting from this point we see a large-scale fast rise in sea levels called Meltwater Pulse 1C, and then a steady continuum of sea levels well into the Neolithic and beyond. This Pulse is due to the 8.2 kiloyear event and collapse of the Laurentide Ice Sheet. From this point onwards we can see a rapid development of technology within the Anahuacs as proto-writing begins to come into play in the regions of Miso [13], the Yuru River Valley [14] and central Atoltec regions. [15] By 6000 BPD we can see the first societies emerging within the central Atoltec regions and Shitimasha Delta [16], and thus ends this section of history.

Footnotes​

[1] Yectal = Africa

[2] Anahuacs = North and South America. From Nahuatl "anahuac"

[3] Osoan World = A term coined by colonists from Eastern Kaade During the Colonial Period.

[4] Paqtal = Asia

[5] Tsawacka = Word adopted from the Algonquin languages to represent the continent east of Kaade.

[6] Morikono = Portmanteau of a native African word and a Muiscan word.

[7] Ytero River = Corruption of native African word for the river from the surrounding region.

[8] Notla Volcano = Toba supervolcano.

[9] Arrawatlaqa = Name adopted from traveling Pana sailors and aboriginal influences.

[10] Munduruku = South America; From the Munduruku people who played a key role in the evolution of South America ITTL.

[11] Amur Bear = From native African name for the Atlas Mountains.

[12] Kimigaak = From Inupiat word for ridge, as aurochs are ridden.

[13] Miso = Region surrounding the Mishadipukti River Valley.

[14] Yuru River Valley: From Guarani word for mouth, Parana River.

[15] Atoltec Region: From Nahuatl “toltec” with prefix a-.

[16] Shitimasha Delta: From the Chitimacha people of the Mississippi River Valley.

Prehistory - Agriculture
Into the World
Entry #2, 14,000-4,000 BPD, Global

The Revolutions of Agriculture
The need for food-or energy to keep something alive, is a innate desire for all organisms. Humans during the late Neolithic and Early Holocene especially found new ways to feed people. One of the hallmarks of this period is agriculture and although it was a slow process agriculture changed how human lives would function forever, ushering in a new era for people and the world.

Agriculture was so new because humans could direct the evolution of species, for example, let's use the well known mahiz plant [1]. It comes from the Valley of Mexica and was heavily proliferated by the empires of the Atoltec Region and the Zemi peoples [2] of the Sichtla Sea [3]. It originated from a plant called teocintli, a plant with barely any cob and only about an inch long, to the modern mahiz, with its multicolored patterns and large cob.

Modern mahiz. Multicolored variety common in the Valley of Mexica and Mideastern Kaade.
Corncobs.jpg

Archaic teocintli. Note the size difference between it and the mahiz.
499px-maize-teosinte.jpg

The Global Centers of Diversity
Agriculture and "domestication" of such plants happened in what are known as "Centers of Diversity" Across the globe. These Centers of Diversity hold the breadbaskets for many civilizations or have a climate conducive to specific types of domestication. Quite a few of these exist across the globe, and many crops beneficial to society as a whole originate from these Centers of Diversity rather than the space between them. These include kinhashkush [4], mahiz, ahuacatle [5], and manioca [6]. If you do some research yourself, you can see all of these plants come from distinct regions such as the Kwolo Rainforest, Antikunan Range [7], and even the Mishadipukti Delta. This adaptation and using of the natural resources provided by the environment is what propelled groups of hunter-gatherers in these Centers of Diversity to create civilization.

Centers of Diversity within the Anahuacs
Centers of Diversity Smaller JPG.jpg

Global Variations and Agriculture
Agriculture as a tool allowed humans in the Anahuacs and even across the world to gather in larger and larger communities. It also allowed for more distinct cultures across the world to flourish. As a large generalization, the main cultural themes of hunter-gatherer societies depended on their environment. For example, desert nomads were more likely to have a mythology based around the desert than jungle nomads were. However, agriculture allowed more people to live in sustained communities for long periods of time and led to greater development. For example, in the site at Xajara, Kiskeya [8] Named Axa Xajara, this site existed around 5,000 BPD. It was a community of about 750 people and had domesticated mahiz and capiuaras [9]. At the site thatch houses, a defined central space, and kilns all lay, showing long-term use of the settlement. Pottery shards and bowls along with pots were also found, showing non-hunter gatherer usage of the site as hunter-gatherers have little to no use of pots. Small bird figures that look relatively similar to a hoatzin were also found, noting that they had a determined mythology.

Overall sites such as Axa Xaraja allow archaeologists to discover more about what the people during this time period were like, and how they lived. This type of settlement would eventually grow into societies such as chiefdoms, where one or several people ruled over others. However, unlike later rulers which used power over their people, chiefdoms were less socially stratified than later kingdoms, but very different than hunter-gatherers. In these areas, the overall mindset transitioned from "How do I get food?" to "Don't take my food". This was the transition from hunter-gatherer societies to the civilization the world was about to spring into.

Pot from Axa Xaraja
taino-museum-pic-078-600x380.jpg

Footnotes
[1] mahiz plant: Corn. From Taino "mahiz".

[2] Zemi peoples: A sculptural object holding the spirit of something in Taino mythology.

[3] Sichtla Sea: From Natchez "si'cha" meaning dew after translation through Atoltec languages.

[4] kinhashkush: From Natchez word for food.

[5] ahuacatle: From Nahuatl "ahuacatl". Avocado.

[6] manioca: From Tupi "manioca".

[7] Antikunas: Andes, from Quechua word for the Andes Mountains.

Diagram Notes:
(a) Cocopah originates from the Cocopah peoples.
(b) Mishigami comes from Ojibwe "mishigami", meaning large water.
(c) Shitimasha comes from the name of the prominent delta of the region.
(d) Huauhtli comes from the Nahuatl name for amaranth.
(e) Ti Ak'al comes from Maya words meaning "at the waterhole"

(f) Noko comes from Warao "noko", or place.
(g) Arichua comes from a Aymara or Quechua name for potatoes
(h) Kwolo comes from the name of the Rainforest
(i) Ata comes from the Chaná word for water, "atá"

[8] Kiskeya: From "mother of all lands" in Taino

[9] capiuara: From Tupi "grass-eater". Origin of word capybara.

Prehistory-History Boundary - Society
First Civilizations and Unequal Societies
Entry #3, 3,500 BPD-2,000 BPD, Anahuacs

The First Civilizations; Location

Location of the Major Cradles of Civilization within the Anahuacs

(Image too large to be posted here, follow the link below!)

These Centers of Civilization proved integral to the continued development across the Anahuacs and would form the basis for future peoples. We can see this with the growth of cities such as Mang within the Falpaeng Region that houses some of the most monumental architecture known to date, and the famous Codex of Washkupekuel [6], the first known code of laws anywhere on Earth. However, such monumental tasks were not instantaneous and the transition from being hunter-gatherers to becoming agriculturalists was not fast or easy.

Copper Plates made by the Yukhiti Peoples [7], found in Yaganechito
Wulfing both JPG.jpg

Drawbacks and Impacts of the Transition: Was Farming a Good Idea?
Well, nobody can really answer for sure. There are some points on either side of the argument though, so I'll let you make the choice. Farming was never a sudden thing, it was a slow transition. and a transition it was. Let's take an example in the city of Tamhaku, who was known for its extensive farming. The previous hunter-gatherer Aluna culture was vast and did hold many people, but their density was low and they were not organized into a polity that can form a coherent society. Not saying that hunter-gatherers can never form societies, they just didn't have the tools at the time. However, they were more healthy and had more balanced diets. Compare this to those of the cities within the Talowal Complex. They had a giant food surplus due to their environment yet they had less diverse diets, were more prone to disease, and their bones were less healthy. However, they did accomplish things such as the invention of writing and creating the first major structures. If we were to take a different example, like that of Macapaba, we would be able to see that all of these cradles exist in roughly similar locations, where the transition from hunting and gathering is beneficial in enough ways to let civilization begin and spread.

Erasure of Equality
It is usually assumed that an unequal society is necessary for large scale power complexes to emerge. However common this may be, it is not a necessity for complex society. We can see two highly contrasting ideas here, yet they share a balance. Let us look at the city of Akuitsi and those that came after it. They had a very hierarchical society with a complex chiefdom like structure evolving early. Compare this to the people of the Antikunas during this time. The Llhan, for example, were unique in their style of governance around Mang. The Llhan were one of the only non-political entities we know from this time. Instead a matriarchically organized guild spreading their unique religion of equality and eventually settling at Mang. Both of these options worked, and both of them succeeded and failed similarly. There is no perfect system of governance, and inequality was simply one facet people viewed government from. However, inequality took hold in the Centers of Civilization and unequal society prospered, leading to the rest of history.

Footnotes
[1] Falpaeng Civilization; From Falpaeng, Mochica word for head
[2] Elpantli Civilization; From Classical Nahuatl word for chest
[3] Xopalehuac Civilization; From Classical Nahuatl word for something green, dark green
[4] Wishaw Civilization; From Proto-Munduruku reconstruction "wiʃaʔ" for ant.
[5] Talowal Civilization; From the French transcription of the endonym of the Natchez, Théoloël.
[6] Washkupekuel: From Natchez "wáshkup" meaning dog, and "ékuel" meaning bone.
[7] Yukhiti Peoples: Atakapa peoples. From endonym "Yuk'hi ti"

From this point on a less global and more civilization specific spotlight will be put on individual regions in a specific point in time with large shifts depicted in these large-scale transition entries.

Just got assigned a few large-scale papers at school so updates will be less frequent. Thankfully I have experience writing long things and it won't be as agonizing as last year.

On the topic of animal domesticates what other domesticates will the ittl native Americans have? I think the Americans would get guinea pigs, llamas, turkey and Muscovy ducks like otl, but the Native Americans don’t have a lot of draft animals that will help them. I think elk/wapiti would make a great domesticate for the Americans as they would act like the closest thing to a horse, and I think an earlier spread of agriculture to the plains may cause the Americans to domesticate forest bison too, which is cliche but still fun. Having capybaras as a domesticate is very interesting as the Americans would have something like a sheep-thing for food mostly, but I think under their influence people in the Rockies would domesticate something like the mountain sheep too.

On the topic of animal domesticates what other domesticates will the ittl native Americans have? I think the Americans would get guinea pigs, llamas, turkey and Muscovy ducks like otl, but the Native Americans don’t have a lot of draft animals that will help them. I think elk/wapiti would make a great domesticate for the Americans as they would act like the closest thing to a horse, and I think an earlier spread of agriculture to the plains may cause the Americans to domesticate forest bison too, which is cliche but still fun. Having capybaras as a domesticate is very interesting as the Americans would have something like a sheep-thing for food mostly, but I think under their influence people in the Rockies would domesticate something like the mountain sheep too.
I was actually going to get into this next! The native Americans still have the horse and the camel (however these don't become widespread fast due to the jungles of Mesoamerica), and the capybara does play a large role. The bison does get domesticated (they will be a big part in the upcoming entry on the Talowal Civilization), and I'll have to think about including the elk. The reindeer also gets domesticated earlier than otl, allowing for progression in the Inuit realm. The dog also doesn't get wiped out by European diseases this time around, so you'll be seeing many of those. The Chilean chicken is also adopted later on. Honestly one of my favorite domesticates isn't even an animal. It's gotta be the stingless wasp which I plan to include in a majority of Mesoamerica although it was not adopted widely otl. That's generally my ideas for now, but if anyone has any suggestions they are free to share! I have to do my research for these as well, so help is always appreciated!

I was actually going to get into this next! The native Americans still have the horse and the camel (however these don't become widespread fast due to the jungles of Mesoamerica), and the capybara does play a large role. The bison does get domesticated (they will be a big part in the upcoming entry on the Talowal Civilization), and I'll have to think about including the elk. The reindeer also gets domesticated earlier than otl, allowing for progression in the Inuit realm. The dog also doesn't get wiped out by European diseases this time around, so you'll be seeing many of those. The Chilean chicken is also adopted later on. Honestly one of my favorite domesticates isn't even an animal. It's gotta be the stingless wasp which I plan to include in a majority of Mesoamerica although it was not adopted widely otl. That's generally my ideas for now, but if anyone has any suggestions they are free to share! I have to do my research for these as well, so help is always appreciated!
Bees are animals, they’re just invertebrates. So basically horses/camels are present? Then you don’t need to incorporate elk. The stingless bees are a very interesting domesticate tho, and I think they would have problems spreading in the old world. I’d like to eventually see how these civilisations interact with the old world’s civilisations, like the ittl Japanese, Britain and Spanish peoples. That’s really far in the future tho.

Talowal Cradle of Civilization
Entry #4, 3,500 BPD, Anahuacs

By around 3500 BCE the Talowal Cradle had developed around the Southern Miso Valley and many independent polities had sprung up in the southern region slightly north of the marshy delta. However, unlike the modern day, the current delta didn’t exist. Rather, a delta called the Ha̲shwish Delta [1] (Cocodrie Delta) existed. The most populous and a major player existed along this region of delta formation called the Áwa Dynasty [2]. The Áwa was thought to be fictional previously as only records kept from the succeeding Wapiti Dynasty [3] mention them and no artifacts were found, however recent dig sites at Wishi Tako show a distinct difference between the pottery of the Áwa and Wapiti, suggesting outside invasion. Further north along the river city-states lay spread out in the most concentrated regions, until you reach the two major players in the north: The Kingdom of Untsayá [4] and the Pakpvkuce Dynasty [5]. The recordkeeping differences here show a stark contrast between the two although they were nearby, and shows that Untsayá spoke the same language as Áwa however the Pakpvkuce spoke a Old Muskogean language and likely were nomads from the southern Assinwati [6] Mountains that had come into the river valley and conquered the previous city-states (if they existed, there are no known records of them) and became the ruling class. The population of the Talowal Cradle during this time neared 15 million people and was sustained by a large set of agricultural practices as well as animal farming.

Agriculture within the Talowal Cradle was very diverse. However, the most prominent system was the Three Sisters method of agriculture, which used corn, climbing beans, and squash to produce a large surplus of food in many of the Talowal farms and formed the foundation for many nations such as the Áwa. However, Áwa also had the largest population for another reason: kinhashkush.

Three Sisters Agriculture:
three-sisters-garden-162279914-579520005f9b58173bcd050a.jpg

Kinhashkush Farms and the Rice Itself:

kinhashkushfarms.jpg
kinhashkush.jpg

Map:

Kinhashkush; The Making of Modern Miso
Kinhashkush has arguably played a large role in the whole of Miso itself and the development of civilization along the Mishadipukti. However, unlike the domestication of kinhashkush in Kina, the rice found in Miso did not lose its color or flavor, and instead prospered. This kinhashkush originally came from the cradle of Mishigami and was farmed in the upper Miso Valley around 9000 BPD before slowly spreading further down throughout the Mishadipukti wetlands and into the lands of Kahjukya [7] (this will become important very soon) before finally crossing south into the Hashwish Delta region. Kinhashkush slowly spread throughout the entirety of Eastern Kaade [8] and became ubiquitous in many cultures with conditions suitable for its growing as it was able to survive in many varied climates. It especially proliferated in the Great Lakes and in Miso, and so it combined with other forms of agriculture allowed for a high population of 15 million so early into technological development. Animal farming of small animals was mildly prominent in this period, but would really come to fruition during the Wapiti Period [9].

Architecture, Administration, and Nomads
The Talowal Cradle was not simply agriculture, however. Many other factors shaped how the peoples during the Talowal time period lived and functioned. Architecture within this time period wasn't very advanced, however we can begin to notice some special factors here. Bilateral Symmetry and Mound-Building are two exemplary features of this civilization. Administration was usually within a tiered structure, in which "Great Suns" [10] would rule large empires, "Small Suns" would govern tributaries or provinces, and a number of lower classes from nobles to the peasantry. A religion also developed during this period which was named Witkuskipism [11] , based on Sun Worship. Out of this, groups such as the Kahapa [12] (Red on Map) and the Oni [13] (Purple on Map) Developed. However, the Chahta [14] (Green on Map), have a different story. These hunter-gathering nomads invaded the fertile lands of the Southern Mishadipukti and took control of the area, cementing themselves as the leaders and bringing in a new language. The invasion by the Chahta people was but a microcosm of what the Mishadipukti region would go through later on in its lifetime, as ever-increasing deluges of nomads would eventually cover almost all of it.

Gallery
Chatamach, a Settlement in the Shatamach Kingdom
Nodena_Mounds_Aerial_HRoe_2016.jpg

Reconstruction of the Áwan site of Hágwalish
Model of Chatamacha.jpg

Footnotes
[1] Ha̲shwish Delta: Cocodrie Delta. Comes from Choctaw word for worm "ha̲shwish"
[2] Áwa Dynasty: From Natchez word for two "áwa"
[3] Wapiti Dynasty: Dynasty succeeding the Áwa; from word for elk.
[4] Untsayá: From Natchez word for heart "untsayá"
[5] Pakpvkuce Dynasty: From Creek word for flower "pakpvkuce"
[6] Assinwati: From Cree name for the Appalachians "assinwati"
[7] Kahjukya: Corruption of Cahokia to Kahokia to Kahjukya
[8] Spread of Kinhashkush into Eastern Kaade: Around 2000 BPD
[9] Wapiti Period: Era in the Southern Miso Valley in which the Wapiti Dynasty held hegemony
[10] Great Suns: From OTL Natchez chiefdoms

[11] Witkuskipism: From Natchez word for sun: "wit kwáχship"
[12] Kahapa; From Natchez word for city "Kahapa"
[13] Oni: From Tunica word for a people "oni". Note that the migration of the Tunica southward happened ittl due to increased urbanization.
[14] Chahta: Choctaw people.

Next entry is gonna come in an undetermined amount of time due to schoolwork taking up much of my time. Midterms are next week for me, anyways, so be back soon!