The Revolutionary: The Life of Crispus Attucks (rewrite)

Lord Dunmore's Proclamation
As the siege of Boston dragged on events were taking place outside of the Boston area that would have an impact on African-American service in the Revolution. On November 7th, 1775 John Murray, the 4th Earl of Dunmore and the Royal Governor of Virginia signed a proclamation that bought the issue of slavery and the enlistment of slaves into question. The proclamation read:

By his Excellency the Right Honorable John Earl of Dunmore, His Majesty's Lieutenant and Governor General of the Colony and Dominion of Virginia and Vice-Admiral of the same.

A PROCLAMATION

As I have ever entertained hopes, that an accommodation might have taken place between Great Britain and this colony, without being compelled by my duty to this most disagreeable but now absolutely necessary step, rendered so by a body of armed men unlawfully assembled, firing on His Majesty's tenders, and the formation of an army, and that Army now on the march to attack His Majesty's Troops and destroy the well disposed subjects of this colony. To defeat such unreasonable purposes, and that all such traitors, and their abettors, may be bought to justice, and that the peace, and good order of this Colony may be again restored, which the ordinary course of the civil law is unable to reflect; I have thought fit to issue this my Proclamation, hereby declaring, that until the aforehand good purposes can be obtained, I do in virtue of the power and authority to me given, by His Majesty, determine to execute Martial Law, and cause the same to be executed throughout this colony: and to therefore that peace and good order may the sooner be restored, I do require that every person capable of bearing arms, to resort to His Majesty's Standard, or be looked upon as traitors to His Majesty's Crown and Government, and thereby become liable to the penalty the law inflicts upon such offenses; such as the forfeiture of life, confiscation of lands, etc. etc. And I do hereby further declare all indentured Servants, Negroes, or others, (appertaining to Rebels,) free that are able and willing to bear arms, they joining His Majesty's Troops as soon as may be, for the more speedily reducing this Colony to a proper sense of their duty, to His Majesty's Crown and Dignity. I do further order, and require, all His Majesty's Leige Subjects, to retain their Quitrents, or any other taxes due or that may become due, in their own custody, till such time as peace may again be restored to this at present most unhappy Country, or demanded of them for their former salutary purposes, by Officers properly authorized to receive the same.

Given under my hand aboard the ship William, off Norfolk, the 7th day of November, in the sixteenth year of His Majesty's Reign.

DUNMORE

(God Save the King)

On November 14th the Proclamation was made public and the issue of the enlistment of slaves into the Continental Army was once again a subject of discussion in both the Continental Army and the Continental Congress. On November 20th the Congress met to discuss the issue. Once again taking the lead was Samuel Adams who opened the discussion. "Gentlemen of the Congress, once again we are faced with the difficult issue of enlisting slaves into our Continental Army. The last time this body took up this issue a strong majority decided that free blacks may serve in the Army. It was further decided that slaves may be used as substitutes with the understanding the slave would be freed after his period of good service. General Washington also strongly agreed with this decision and had also issued orders to this effect. Now it seems that Lord Dunmore in Virginia forced this issue back upon us. He has issued a proclamation promising freedom to all indentured servants and slaves who enlist under his banner to take up arms against us. We must take decisive action or risk a full scale slave rebellion that could well cost us everything that we are fighting for. We have also been presented with a unique opportunity to secure the services of those slave owners who remain loyal to the Crown. I propose that we authorize the immediate enlistment of slaves with compensation paid to those slave owners who agree. The slave owners now have a choice, they can remain loyal to King George and Lord Dunmore, who would steal their slaves away, or they can join us and allow their slaves to enlist with just compensation. I would propose that each colony determine their own mechanism of payment and amount of payment due to each slave owner. I further urge that the colony of Virginia act with the most haste due to the danger that now exists from Lord Dunmore's proclamation. This is my proposition and I urge that we act at once, every delay only aids the enemy." With that declaration Samuel Adams took his seat and the debate began.

The next man who rose to speak was Benjamin Franklin who saw an opportunity to advance his abolitionist views and strike a blow against slavery. "Gentlemen, Mr. Adams is correct, we have a unique opportunity here to advance our cause by luring more slave owners away from the Crown and rendering useless Lord Dunmore's proclamation. Lord Dunmore has proposed to lure away the slaves of Virginia without compensation and he holds the threat of slave rebellion over us all. How long before other Royal Governors issue similar proclamations? How long before the Parliament issues such a proclamation? Where then will our cause be gentlemen? We must allow the enlistment of slaves into our Army, however we must also take the additional step of offering just compensation to their owners. If we do this we will strike a grevious blow against the Crown's tyranny!"

Rising to his feet in protest was Henry Middleton, he began, "Gentlemen while I respect the motives of Mr. Adams and Mr. Franklin who want to render Lord Dunmore's proclamation impotent there is a very large question they did not address. How are we going to compensate slave owners for the loss of their property? It is proper that we offer compensation, but where gentlemen is the money going to come from? This Congress has no power to levy or collect taxes and without revenue our offer of compensation is without merit. As a slave owner I simply cannot lose my property and risk my livelihood on a promissory note that would not be worth the paper it was written on. I am a loyal Patriot who fully supports our cause, but we cannot support, endorse or pay for this ill-advised measure. We must find another way to deal with this threat."

As Henry Middleton took his seat, Robert Morris rose to support Henry Middleton, "Gentlemen, Mr. Middleton is correct, even if the offer was made to compensate slave owners for the loss of their property to the Army, we have no mechanism to pay them. It would be a hollow promise, a promise that we would not be able to keep and with that broken promise we would lose more than we would gain and perhaps doom our noble cause to failure. Only the colony of Virginia is under threat at the present time, and I do not think the threat is as grave as some would believe. There will be few slaves who will even hear of this proclamation as most cannot read or write and none travel out of sight of their owners lands. I believe that we exaggerate the threat that this proclamation presents. I propose that we take no action to address what is a very minor problem."

The next man to speak on the proposal was Thomas Jefferson, "I have listened to each speaker as they spoke for or against the proposal from Mr. Adams. As a slave owner from Virginia I am under grave threat from Lord Dunmore and I have a lot to lose if he is successful. However I consider myself an American Patriot first and a slave owner second. My first loyalty must be to securing our rights and freedoms, that is why I am here, I am here in service to Virginia and in service to the basic freedom that all men are entitled to. I hear you speak of the risks of this proposal, the risk that we lose our property either to Lord Dunmore and his ilk or lose it to our Army without compensation. Have we forgotten gentlemen that by being assembled here in defiance of King George and Parliament we risk much more! We are risking our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor be being here in defiance of tyranny. What will happen if our cause fails? Do you think that we will simply be allowed to return to our homes and property unmolested? Make no mistake, we have cast the die, we stand here branded as traitors by the Crown, Lord Dunmore's proclamation makes that clear. So what are we worried about? We are worried that we may lose money, when our very lives are at stake. If I can secure freedom for myself and my posterity by freeing all of my slaves, then I would do so. I am willing to provide as many slaves from my home for immediate enlist into our Army as can be spared. I will worry about monetary compensation after our cause is successful and our freedoms secured. Who will join me? Who will sacrifice for our cause?"

Thomas Jefferson's offer opened up a debate that lasted well into the evening. At the end of the debate it was decided that the Congress did not have the power or the funds to offer compensation for the enlistment of slaves. It did however allow each colony to determine it's own policy without interference. It also allowed each slave owner to determine how his slave property was to be used, as it was his own property. Slaves with the proper paperwork from their owner would be allowed to enlist in the Continental Army for a period of two years. Those that completed their service honorably would be given their freedom. However Thomas Jefferson's unselfish offer, he allowed ten of his slaves and five indentured servants to enlist, caused many slave owners in the Congress to also make at least a token contribution. Jefferson stated that if a man can prove himself a good, honorable soldier on the battlefield then he has proven himself a man worthy of freedom. Even Henry Middleton offered one of his slaves "to serve as my substitute on the field of battle as I am unable to bear arms in our cause."

It was another tentative step taken forward on the march to freedom. In Cambridge General George Washington was about to task Crispus Attucks with an important and historic mission...................to be continued.

Lord Dunmore's Proclamation.
DunmoresProclamation.jpg

The Recruiter
01 December 1775
Cambridge, Massachusetts

Crispus Attucks was ordered to report to General Washington's Headquarters at the Vassall House for a new assignment. He was aware of the correspondence from the Congress authorizing the enlistment of slaves into the Continental Army if the individual slave owner consented. In his opinion it did not go far enough, but it was a step in the right direction. He was pleased to hear that a number of patriot slave owners were making contributions in support of the declaration, even though it was usually just a token contribution. Crispus was in high spirits when he reported to the Commander of the Continental Army. General Washington began to speak, "Sergeant Attucks as I am sure you are aware of, the Proclamation of the Royal Governor of Virginia Lord Dunmore has caused quite a stir both in Virginia and in the Congress. As you also know Congress has authorized the enlistment of slaves into the Army with the consent of the slave's owner. I am personally contributing five of my slaves to service in the Army. It is becoming clear to me that victory in this conflict may well rest with whatever side can secure the services of the negro population. I am charging you with helping our Army to secure their service for our cause. Lord Dunmore has recruited several hundred slaves to his cause and we must take action to counter this threat. Therefore I am giving you a commission and an important mission. You are the most well known negro soldier in America. Your brave actions at Breed's Hill that saved the life of General Warren are known and respected throughout the colonies and you are respected by whites and negroes alike. I am giving you a commission as a Captain in the Continental Army and your orders are to secure the enlistment of as many free blacks and emancipated slaves as you can. You will first travel to Newport in Rhode Island where you will begin your recruiting duties. The Rhode Island legislature has been receptive to this plan and it is the best place to begin recruiting. You will remain there until ordered otherwise. I will expect monthly updates on your progress, detailed instructions are here in your written orders. Do you have any questions Captain Attucks?"

Captain Crispus Attucks was speechless for a moment. He did not anticipate being given such a great honor and great opportunity to advance his cause. He quickly composed his thoughts and spoke, "Sir, thank you for this honor and this opportunity. I agree that our cause will be strengthened greatly if we can secure the services of the negro population. I read Lord Dunmore's proclamation with great distress as I feared it would damage our cause and would damage relations between whites and negroes. My mission will help to mend any wounds and will offer negroes a choice between serving the cause of freedom and liberty or serving the cause of subjugation and oppression. I will not fail in this mission sir."

With that declaration Captain Crispus Attucks was dismissed and began making his preparations to travel to Newport to begin his task. The text of Captain Attuck's orders are reproduced here courtesy of the Crispus Attucks collection at the Smithsonian Institute, Washington D.C.

You are hereby authorized and empowered, immediately to enlist, able bodied and effective negro men, as soldiers, in the service of the Continental Army, for the term of two years, from the time of enlistment, unless sooner discharged by Congress. In the execution of this Duty, you will pay the greatest attention to the following instructions:

Every man under five feet six inches in height shall be refused. No man under sixteen or above fourty-five years of age shall be enlisted. Every man, who shall be enlisted, must be robust and perfectly formed, with respect to his body, limbs and organs, and in full health.

No minors are to be enlisted, unless by the consent of their parents, guardians or masters.

Any officer, who shall enlist men contrary to the above instructions, shall be obliged to pay the expenses which may occur by such enlistment.

No enlistment shall be deemed valid, except the person enlisted shall sign his name before a witness, and take the oath directed by the Articles of War, before a Magistrate.

For the encouragement of each non-commissioned officer and soldier, half a month's pay will be advanced on the day of their enlistment, and the other half before they march. A complete suit of uniform clothing shall be furnished to each man as soon as possible; comfortable barracks, good provisions, and every thing necessary to the health and comfort of the soldiers, will be provided immediately.

As soon as a man is enlisted, an exact descriptive list will be taken of him.

In the enlistment of negro soldiers, care must be taken that no promises are made without a certainty of their being complied with. All slaves who are enlisted with the written or personal consent of their owners will be instructed that their freedom will be granted only with the successful completion of their period of service unless medically discharged under competent authority. The non-commissioned officer will be appointed by the Commanding Officer of the Regiment, in Regimental Orders, on the recommendation of the Officers to whom their abilities are known.

Officers in recruiting, will be given preference to single men. The allowance of women to a Regiment is small; and the reception of any into the Regiment, will depend only on the Commanding Officer.

Returns will be made monthly on the success this Officer may have in recruiting; and as soon as six men are enlisted, or sooner, if convenient, they will be sent to Cambridge, in the vicinity of which is the grand rendezvous - with their descriptive lists, under the care of a faithful and trusty man.

As a compensation for any expense a recruit may be at on his route to the grand rendezvous, an allowance of one ration for every ten miles, from the place of enlistment, will be given him on his arrival. And when an officer shall find it necessary to detain recruits, their subsistence shall be allowed. Applications will be made to the government, that each recruiting officer may receive an allowance for each man he may furnish.

You will introduce the best economy and discipline among the recruits. You will find an ease and harmony resulting therefrom, which cannot be afterwards attained and established on a tolerated licentionsness among the recruits. And as it is presumed that every Officer, who now enters the Service, intends to elevate himself by a military behavior, those only will be countenanced and encouraged who shall make the Good of Service and the Honor of their Country the objects of their pursuits.

On the 5th of December 1775, Captain Crispus Attucks left Cambridge Massachusetts to travel to Newport Rhode Island with the mission to actively recruit negro soldiers for service in the Continental Army. It represented a milestone for the African-American as it was the first time the American colonies actively recruited blacks into the ranks of the Continental Army. In Newport Captain Attucks was received cautiously but warmly by the Legislature. The people of Newport and surrounding communities made Crispus Attucks feel welcome as news of his courage in battle made him a minor celebrity, which Crispus took full advantage of. He freely gave his evening time to telling the story of the rescue of General Warren as well as the lesser known story of his actions during the Boston Massacre. Crispus proved himself very adept at public relations and it showed in the success of his mission. His recruiting headquarters enlisted both white and black alike as Patriots offered their services to the Continental Army........to be continued.

African-American Continental Army Soldiers.
black soldiers.jpg

Salem Poor
Salem Poor was a negro Massachusetts militiaman serving in the Continental Army. During the Battle of Breed's Hill he was credited with killing British Lieutenant Colonel James Abercrombie. His bravery during the action caused 14 colonial officers to cite him for heroism and send the following statement to the General Court of Massachusetts:

The Reward due to so great and Distinguished a Character. The Subscribers beg leave to Report to your Honorable. House (Which We do in justice to the Character of so Brave a man) that under Our Own observation, we declare that A Negro Man Called Salem Poor of Col. Fryes Regiment, Capt. Ames. Company in the late Battle of Charleston, behaved like an Experienced Officer, as Well as an Excellent Soldier, to Set forth Particulars of his Conduct would be Tedious, We Would Only beg leave to say in the Person of this Negro Centers a Brave & gallant Soldier.

Captain Crispus Attucks was aware of Salem Poor's exploits and was planning to use his new rank and influence to promote Salem Poor's heroism to advance his cause. Captain Attucks knew that if he was going to defeat the stigma of slavery in the American colonies then he was going to have to prove that the negro was the equal of the white man. Demonstrating that the negro was a capable and brave soldier was one way to change opinions and prejudices. With that in mind Captain Attucks was a careful recruiter, if he had the slightest doubt that a prospective negro recruit would not make a good soldier then he would not enlist him. There were some that said that Captain Attucks was too hard, but he understood what was at stake and he continued to enforce his high standards despite any criticism. Even with his high standards he had enlisted 20 negro recruits his first month on the job, 55 whites had also been enlisted by the white recruiter on station, Captain James Elder. The two men worked well together and became friends during their time together in Newport. As he shipped out his first recruits to Cambridge, he also sent the following letter addressed to General Washington.

Sir,

I would like to beg the honor to present to the General twenty robust and healthy negro soldiers, all willing to faithfully serve our cause. Our efforts here in Newport have been successful and I have had to turn away a number of negroes who were willing to enlist, but did not meet the standards that the General requires for good service. Our efforts will continue until we are ordered otherwise.

I would request that due to the success of our negro recruiting efforts here in Newport that the negro recruiting program be expanded. I call to the General's attention a negro Massachusetts militiaman named Salem Poor. During the action at Breed's Hill Salem Poor was cited for his heroism and bravery by no less than fourteen officers. Colonel William Prescott further cited him for his bravery in a dispatch to the General Court of Massachusetts. This is the character of soldier that is needed to further expand our negro recruiting efforts and further fill the ranks of our Army with brave and willing negro Patriots.

I remain your most loyal and obedient servant.

Captain Crispus Attucks

When the letter and the new recruits arrived from Newport, General Washington personally inspected the new negro recruits and was impressed with their physical appearance, their discipline and their abilities. Despite his early opposition to recruiting negroes, it was becoming clear that he was ignoring a potential source for quality soldiers. In order to be successful against the professional British Army in this struggle for freedom he knew that he was going to have to build an equally professional army capable of meeting and defeating British troops in the open field, and Crispus Attucks and Salem Poor have demonstrated that the negro can meet this requirement and be professional soldiers. The negro soldiers currently in service have demonstrated they can drill and march as well as the white soldiers. In addition negro slaves represented a vast potential recruiting ground of willing and able bodied men who would enthusiastically trade military service for their freedom from bondage. Their were many obstacles to overcome, but General Washington was now sold on the need to recruit from the negro population, both free men and slaves, of the American colonies. He needed to sit and and compose a letter to the Continental Congress in Philadelphia on the subject of negro recruitment, but first he would speak with Salem Poor............to be continued.

Pictured is the Revolutionary War hero, Salem Poor depicted in a commemorative postage stamp from 1975.
Salem_Poor_stamp_1975.jpg

I would if I knew how. Thank you for your interest in the story.
To threadmark a post, look at the bottom left of it, and you should see a button that says "add threadmark". Click it, then a box will pop up and ask you for a name, where you can just type in the name of the chapter you are threadmarking. For all future posts, before you post them, there is a textbook above the textbook you normally type in labeled "Threadmark label...", that is where you type in a threadmark for all future posts.

Expanding Efforts
January 10th, 1775
Cambridge, Massachusetts

After receiving the request from Captain Crispus Attucks to expand the negro recruitment program, General Washington ordered Colonel William Prescott and Salem Poor to report to him to discuss the issue. After the exchange of military courtesies, General Washington began the discussion. "Colonel Prescott, I have read your dispatch that you sent to the General Court of Massachusetts regarding the actions of Salem Poor during the battle on Breed's Hill. You left out the particulars of his conduct in your dispatch, I would like to hear those details if you please." Colonel Prescott replied, "Sir, Salem Poor was in the thickest of the fighting, he bravely maintained his position under heavy fire and inspired the men around him to maintain their position as well. He laid accurate and deadly fire on the enemy and did mortally wound a key English officer Lieutenant Colonel James Abercrombie. Even as the English were overrunning our position, Salem did not break, but conducted an orderly withdrawal, further inspiring those around him to do the same. His actions not only caused great destruction to the English ranks, but his steadfast bravery under fire inspired the Patriots around him as well. His actions were formally commended by no less than fourteen militia officers, and informally by scores of his fellow militiamen." General Washington replied, "Thank you Colonel for your insightful commentary on the actions of Private Poor." Washington then turned to Salem Poor and spoke, "Private Poor, I am most impressed by your actions on the battlefield. I must ask, why are you fighting for our cause?"

Salem Poor was a little nervous to be in the presence of General Washington, but he sat up straight in his chair and replied, "Sir, when the militia was called out to oppose the British occupation and oppression, I left my wife and son to fight for my freedom and for theirs. I purchased my freedom in 1769, I got married and had a son. I was distressed at how the English were eroding the freedoms that I had worked so hard to earn for myself. I was determined that I was not going to go back into servitude for King George, so I offered my services so that I could maintain the freedom that I worked so hard for. Sir, I fight for my freedom and for the freedom of my wife and son." General Washington was silent for a few moments as he thought about what Salem Poor said, finally he spoke, "Private Poor, I believe that you understand the price of freedom more than myself or Colonel Prescott ever could. I have never been in bondage to another and have no knowledge of what that means. The fact that you were able to purchase your freedom demonstrates to me how badly you must have wanted it. Your bravery on the battlefield demonstrates to me what you are willing to do in order to keep your freedom. In order for us to be victorious in our cause, it will require brave and noble men like you to fight for it. Your fellow negro patriot, Captain Crispus Attucks is currently in Newport, Rhode Island recruiting negroes to serve in our Army. He has requested that these efforts be expanded and I am inclined to agree that they should. Should Congress approve my request to expand these efforts to other colonies, I will require negro soldiers and patriots like you to lead these recruiting efforts. I ask you to recommend any other negro soldiers who you think could properly represent us in that effort."

Salem Poor thought for a moment and replied, "Sir, Isaac Freeman would be an excellent candidate to assist in this endeavor, he was in the fight at Concord and fought on Breed's Hill as well. He is a brave and noble soldier who would serve the General well." General Washington wrote the name down and asked Colonel Prescott, "Colonel Prescott, do you have any recommendations?" After a momentary pause for thought he replied, "Sir, there is a negro soldier named Peter Salem who also fought with us at Breed's Hill. It is generally agreed upon that he killed the English Major John Pitcairn and his conduct in battle was exemplary as well." General Washington nodded and wrote his name down as well. He then stood and said, "Gentlemen, thank you for your time and your wisdom. I must compose a letter to Congress in order to advance our ideas. I will be calling on you again, you are dismissed.

A few hours later General George Washington finished his letter to Congress on the subject of negro recruitment, it read as follows.

Esteemed Gentlemen of the Continental Congress, I am writing to you on a matter of some controversy, but it is a matter of urgency to the success of our cause. As I wrote in my previous correspondence, I gave a commission to Captain Crispus Attucks and assigned him to Newport, Rhode Island with the mission to recruit negro soldiers. I am pleased to report that the first of these soldiers have arrived for service and I am further pleased at the quality of these new recruits. I have reflected on my previous position on the use of negro soldiers and I have concluded that I was incorrect in that position. I have learned the stories of a number of negro patriots who have fought with bravery and honor. This evening I met another of these men, Salem Poor, who was formally honored for his combat actions by fourteen officers in official dispatch. I cannot in good faith ignore these actions, I cannot in good faith ignore a potential source of men to serve and fight for our cause. I urge you to also not ignore this matter. I propose that our efforts to recruit negroes, both freemen and slaves be expanded to as many of the other colonies as possible. I urge you gentlemen to forward this request to the separate colonial legislatures for debate. As compensation for those slave owners who would allow their slaves to enlist I would recommend that we offer them what is abundant here in America, land. We do not have the gold, nor do we have the mechanisms to tax or collect money, but there is land to offer. Land with good game, timber and mineral wealth. I would argue that land here in America is a great untapped source of potential wealth that can be traded for the fighting men we need to achieve victory for our cause. Again I humbly beseech you to act upon this matter with urgency.

I remain your most humble and obedient servant.

General George Washington

Once again the Continental Congress will enter into the debate about African-American service in the Army, where will it lead?

An African-American patriot.
Black patriot 2.jpg

Land for Soldiers
January 25th, 1776
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Today General George Washington's letter is read to the assembled Continental Congress and the debate was renewed on negro enlistment in general and slave enlistment in particular. The idea of offering land in exchange for allowing slaves to enlist was generally well received, but their was some very vocal opposition to the measure. The most impassioned speech against the idea was from Robert Morris, who made his fortune in the slave trade. His speech before Congress on this day is widely considered to be one of the worst in American history.

"Gentlemen once again we find ourselves in a debate that we should not be having. It is clear that there is a conspiracy afoot to deprive many of us here of our property, our livelihoods and our fortunes. We have heard the story of Crispus Attucks and I am not ashamed to admit that his actions were brave and worthy of praise, but I also firmly believe that his actions were not typical of the conduct we can expect from negroes. We have to ask ourselves why is the negro in bondage in large numbers? I say that it is because that is the natural state of the negro, ordained by God himself. Why was Lord Dunmore not able to provoke a large scale uprising with his declaration? I say that it is because the negro is naturally subservient and the vast majority of them know and accept their place. Why was Lord Dunmore's regiment of Africans defeated on the field of battle so recently? It is because the negro is not the equal to a white man on the field of battle. There will be a few exceptions, like Crispus Attucks, but for every Crispus Attucks I can show you hundreds of negro slaves who are happy and content toiling in your cotton and tobacco fields. To offer slaves their freedom in exchange for military service is an invitation to disaster. I believe that they will desert in large numbers at the first sight of Redcoat troops, or they will simply desert at first opportunity because they are too lazy and shiftless for the rigors of army life. There is a proposition to offer land in exchange for slaves which is great in theory, but what am I to do with all my free land if I have no one left to work it! Undeveloped land is useless to me and is of no real value. This is simply a trick devised to fool us into giving up our real property for property that I can not use, develop, or derive income from. We have already decided here, against my wise council and better judgement, to allow individual slave owners to allow them to enlist their slaves, using the argument of patriotism. Will you now ask me to give you my home in the name of patriotism? Will you ask for my wife and children in the name of patriotism? Will you ask for the very clothes from my back in the name of patriotism? I say no, too much has been asked already. Here we must draw the line and say no more! No more of your empty promises in exchange for my property! I am as ardent of a Patriot as any man here, but I will not cut my own throat to prove it. Let us do the sensible and responsible thing and end this foolish discussion here and now and pledge to never darken this assembly with it again."

With that firebrand speech the unrepentant slave owners rallied around Robert Morris' cry and called for the measure to be tabled for good, however there were a lot of supporters of the measure who were just as passionate in their beliefs. Some were no surprise as most of the Quakers in the assembly were very anti-slavery, however some supporters of the measure were slave owners themselves, Thomas Jefferson and Richard Bland, both slave owners with large plantations were vocal supporters of the measure and they had a plan to present. However it was the abolitionist and well respected Benjamin Franklin who rose to reply to Robert Morris.

"It is clear that Mr. Morris is opposed to this idea but I find his reasoning deeply flawed. Mr. Morris has made his fortune on the slave trade, a perfectly legal profession, but it is one that I find morally reprehensible. I cannot imagine these frightened natives, stolen from their homes, crammed into the hulls of ships for many weeks, sick with disease only to be taken to a foreign land and sold like animals. It is no wonder that many are broken and resigned to their fate. I believe that Mr. Morris mistakes fear and despair for contentment. If these African slaves are so content and happy with their place in life then why do we see so many labor to purchase their freedom? Why did Crispus Attucks labor with the one desire to use the fruits of his labor to purchase his freedom? Why did he not just labor for his master for the love of doing so? It is simple, all men desire their freedom. Why are we assembled in this chamber? Why is General Washington assembled with his Army? Why do we struggle against the King and Parliament and protest their every illegal action? Freedom, that is why, all of us as free men desire our freedom. It is a basic desire granted to all by the grace of God. We cry to the heavens for our freedom, but at the same time deny freedom to others. Is this not simply wrong? We fill our coffers with gold purchased by the fruits of another man's labor and we are so blind to it's glitter that we do not see this as wrong! We are not here to rob you of your property, we do not want to see you destitute and begging on the streets. We offer just and generous compensation, I would not dream of asking you to give up what is lawfully yours without compensation. I only ask that we ask, why do we continue to stain our very souls with slavery, when we have the opportunity to abandon the institution with our honor intact?"

Benjamin Franklin's bold declaration left the Congress silent as each delegate was forced to examine his views of freedom. To be sure there were some that would turn a blind eye to his words, but Benjamin Franklin has shaken some out of their complacency. The follow up to Benjamin Franklin was Richard Bland, who had been in consultation with other slave owners who supported the measure. They had a plan to deal with the economic fallout that would result from the loss of slaves. His plan along with Benjamin Franklin's bold speech would be a perfect one-two punch that would ensure that slavery in America would enter it's final phase. Richard Bland slowly stood and began to speak.

"Gentlemen allow me to be the first to declare that I am a slave owner, I make my profits by the fruits of slave labor without a thought about the morality of what I do. Mr. Franklin has slapped me in the face with his words and I find myself shamed by his words. We cannot deny what he says it true, so the question is what now gentlemen? I, like you, am not ready to bring about my own financial ruin, that is true. However there is a plan that will benefit us both financially and morally, please allow me to present the particulars. America is a land of unlimited potential, millions of acres of untamed, virgin wilderness, open to anyone bold enough to tame and develop it. Many of us here have pulled our homes and our fortunes from these untamed lands, this is something we should be proud of. Land is the wealth of this country and our offer is land in exchange for soldiers, soldiers who will secure our freedom and liberty to exploit these free and open lands as we see fit. We propose an offer of twenty acres of land for each slave given for a period of two year's service in the Army. At the end of the slave's good service he shall be rewarded with his freedom and an offer. The twenty acres of land given to his former master for service will now be offered to the new freeman two work on as a sharecropper or tenant farmer. Half the profits from the land will go to the landowner and half will be retained by the freeman. Gentlemen, now you have the land, profits from the land, and the stain of slavery will be removed from it. If your former slave is killed in battle, the land will remain yours for you to do with as you see fit. This is our plan, let us make it so with your support."

With that speech the delegates began a fierce debate on what came to be known as the "Bland Plan" even though Richard Bland was only one of the group of men who developed it. The debate would last for three days in the Congress before the measure was voted on. The plan was easily passed by a margin of 51 votes in favor and only 15 against the measure. The plan would now be presented to the individual colonial legislatures who would have to approve the measure in each colony and allocate the land to be compensated. Many of the slave owners who voted for the plan were swayed by both the offer of more land and sometimes for more cynical reasons. By this time in America many colonies had passed laws forbidding slave owners from throwing their slaves out when they became too sick or old to work. They were required to provide for the old and the infirm. Many slave owners reasoned, and it was argued during the debate, that if a free man tenant farmer or sharecropper were to be unable to work the land then they could be removed from it and the land given to someone able to work it. That rather harsh reasoning led some slave owners who had opposed the previous measures, most notably Henry Middleton of South Carolina, to vote for this measure. Despite the cynicism, this measure represented the beginning of the end of slavery in America.

Vast tracts of undeveloped land west of the 13 American colonies
convinced delegates to vote for the Bland Plan.
13colonies1775maps75.jpg

Expanding Efforts
March 15th, 1776
Boston, Massachusetts

There were three proud new Lieutenants standing at attention in front of their Commander and Chief as he attached gold epaulets to the left shoulder of their uniforms. After performing this formality General and Chief of the Continental Army George Washington took a step back, smiled at his new Lieutenants and spoke. "Gentlemen, please stand at ease. Today is a proud day for our army and for our cause. The passage of the Bland Plan in the Congress has afforded the opportunity for negro slaves to trade military service for their freedom. There are some exceptions, but most of our colonial slave owners have embraced this plan as well, as it provides land to them in exchange for their former slave's service. Your postings and your obedience to your orders are therefore critical to this effort. Lieutenant Salem Poor, you will be posted to the city of Philadelphia, Lieutenant Isaac Freeman, you will be posted to the city of New York and Lieutenant Peter Salem you will be posted to Boston as soon as the British Army completes it's evacuation. As your orders indicate your mission is to process new negro recruits. You will ensure that they can meet the rigors of soldiering and are capable of providing good service to our cause. You will send monthly reports to your commander, Captain Crispus Attucks, and he will forward them to my staff. I expect, and I know that Captain Attucks expects, you to follow your orders with diligence and care. Gentlemen, you are dismissed." The Lieutenants all came to attention, exchanged salutes with their commander and moved out to follow their orders as officers of the Continental Army. The negro recruiting effort just started a major expansion.

The passage of the Bland Plan in the Continental Congress was generally well received with the separate colonial legislatures, the exception being the colony of South Carolina, this will be discussed in detail in later postings. George Washington was ordered to send negro recruiting officers to to the four largest cities in the colonies, Philadelphia, New York, Boston and Charleston. The South Carolina Provincial Congress informed the Continental Congress in Philadelphia that any negro recruiting officer sent to Charleston would be rejected and any efforts to recruit the negro slaves of the South Carolina colony would not be tolerated. General Washington was quick to promote Salem Poor, Isaac Freeman and Peter Salem, due to their exemplary conduct in battle, and upon the recommendation of the officers they had served under. The future of the negro in the American colonies was looking brighter, with the exception of South Carolina..............................to be continued.

Lieutenant Peter Salem, Continental Army.
Peter-Salem-by-Walter-J.-Williams-Jr.-Pastal-on-painting.jpg

South Carolina, Rice and Slaves
When the Continental Congress approved the Bland Plan for the recruitment of slaves into the Continental Army and sent the plan to the separate colonial legislatures the reaction was mostly positive and all of the legislatures approved of the plan with the exception of the colony of South Carolina. There the proposal was strongly rejected as was the Continental Congress' plan to send a negro recruiting officer to Charleston which was the 4th largest city in America. The reason for this rejection was simple, by 1776 South Carolina was a slave society, slavery was both central to and absolutely essential to the economy of the colony. Charleston was the port of call for over 40% of the African slaves sent to the British North American colonies and the wealthy Charleston slave traders were a powerful force in the colony. In addition the large coastal rice plantation owners needed large numbers of slaves to work the labor intensive and deadly rice fields. South Carolina was the only colony that had a slave population larger than it's free population. The rice growing, cultivating and harvesting process was not something that could be done by sharecropping and the rich. powerful rice planters were not going to trade their slaves for land they could not use or develop without intensive labor.

Rice was indeed king in South Carolina. In 1698 the colony exported only 5 tons of rice, by 1770 that had risen to 42,000 tons of rice. The key to this expansion was the expansion of the African slave trade. Slaves were imported from regions of West Africa where they were familiar with the cultivation of rice. The slaves used this knowledge in the rice plantations of coastal South Carolina to build a wealthy rice industry. However while the rice plantation owners and slave traders became wealthy and powerful, the African slaves lived in horrible conditions and died at an incredible rate. One writer of the period wrote of these slaves, "negroes, ankle and even mid-leg deep in water which floats an oozy mud, and expos.ed all the while to a burning sun which makes the very air they breathe hotter than the human blood;these poor wretches are then in a furness of stinking putrid effluvia: a more horrible employment can hardly be imagined." It is no wonder that it has been estimated at two out of every three negro slave children on rice plantations failed to reach their 16th birthday and over a third of slave children died before their first birthday. Malaria was the biggest killer, snakes, alligators, poison plants, heat stroke and overwork also killed many slaves as well. Also given the fact that planters paid between 100 and 200 pounds sterling ($11,630 and $23,200) for an ideal slave it is no wonder that 20 acres of useless land for a slave was unacceptable. Until the power of the rice planters and slave traders of South Carolina could be broken, slavery would continue to be a powerful political force in the colony..................to be continued.

A South Carolina Rice Plantation.
Rice-Plantation.jpg

Crispus Attucks Reacts
March 25, 1776
Newport, RI

Captain Crispus Attucks was hopeful and happy after reading the details of the Bland Plan that had been approved by the Continental Congress and most of the colonial legislatures. He was disappointed, but not surprised to hear that South Carolina was the only colony to reject the Bland Plan. He had read extensively about the rice plantations of coastal South Carolina and the plight of the slaves who worked on them. His time as a slave was pleasant compared to the wretched existence of the rice plantation slaves. He also knew that Charleston was the home to the largest slave market in the colonies and that the power of the slave and rice merchants was formidable and they would reject anything that would endanger their empire of rice and slaves. Aware of the challenges he was facing, but not deterred, he composed a letter to the South Carolina Provisional Congress, a letter that survives to this day in the National Archives.

Esteemed Gentlemen of the South Carolina Provincial Congress and Committee of Safety,

I am much distressed to learn of your rejection of the Bland Plan which was presented to you for approval by the Continental Congress assembled in Philadelphia. I am distressed, but I am also not without sympathy for your plight; you have been asked to risk much for the cause of liberty, you have been asked to give up your valuable property for what you feel is insufficient compensation, you have been asked to surrender skilled labor when that labor is sorely needed to sustain your livelihood. While I do understand the difficult position that you gentlemen labor under, and while I have sympathy for your position, I would beg you to see reason in this difficult matter. Charleston is a port city with defense sorely insufficient to deter an incursion from the British Royal Navy, or prevent a landing and occupation by soldiers of the British Army. The position of the British government on the issue of slaves owned by those they consider traitors to the Crown is well known and well established. I would beg you to remember the proclamation by John Murray, Earl of Dunmore, and deposed royal governor of Virginia; he promised freedom to slaves who would desert their masters, hundreds of slaves did indeed desert their masters and fled to the siren song of Lord Dunmore where they were organized armed and provisioned; even today his Ethiopian Regiment remains a threat to the Virginia colony. I beg you to think of the large number of African slaves currently toiling on your rice and indigo plantations; I beg you to think of the dire consequences that you would face if these slaves were organized against you by the British Army operating from the security of Charleston; your slaves armed and provisioned, sent out in a wave of vengeance to burn, destroy and loot your fields and plantation houses. As a former slave I understand that if your slaves were offered a chance at freedom, they would risk everything for that promise of freedom; if given the opportunity to strike back at the hands that wielded the whip and chains, they would do so without hesitation. You gentlemen must ask yourselves; do you risk more with the Bland Plan, or do you risk more by leaving yourselves open to exploitation by the British? You have all proven yourselves patriots, willing to risk everything for the cause of liberty. Will you now throw it all away to maintain your institutions that stand in direct opposition to the liberty that you hold so dear? I humbly beseech you to stand united with your patriot brothers on this issue.

I Am Your Most Obedient and Humble Servant

Captain Crispus Attucks
Continental Army

In Charleston this letter was read on the floor of the Provincial Congress by the Chairman of the Committee of Safety Henry Laurens. Will the members of the South Carolina Provincial Congress listen, or will they continue to chart their own course with the issue of slavery?......................to be continued.

The fear of slave owners, a soldier in Lord Dunmore's Ethiopian
Regiment.
Ethiopian_Regiment_Uniform.jpg

The South Carolina Question
April 10th, 1776

Charleston, SC

After Henry Laurens read Crispus Attucks’ letter on the floor of the South Carolina Provincial Congress it started an intense debate. Most of the prominent members of the Congress were plantation owners who owed their lives and fortunes to slave labor. Henry Laurens, Vice-President of the SC Provincial Congress, amassed a large fortune as a partner in the largest slave trading house in North America. John Rutledge, President of the SC Provincial Congress, was both a lawyer and slave owner, but was only lukewarm at the idea of slavery, this was also influenced by his wife Elizabeth who was not fond of slavery. John was also a successful lawyer who could survive and even thrive without slavery. Most of the rest of the SC Provincial Congress were aristocratic slave owners, convincing them to provide slaves to be armed and trained as soldiers was going to be difficult. Despite being dominated by the planter class, debate on the issue did begin. Crispus Attucks’ letter had raised a number of issues and fears among the delegates. Charleston was the fourth largest city in the American Colonies, and thus was a tempting target for the British. Control of Charleston would mean defacto control of the colony. Construction of a fort on Sullivan’s Island had barely begun and there was little to prevent the Royal Navy from sailing into Charleston harbor and seizing the city. The British had already demonstrated that they were willing to free and arm slaves to fight. That was a frightening realization for many members of the Provincial Congress, as slaves did outnumber freemen in the colony. They also realized that to survive South Carolina was going to require the support of the other American colonies. They understood that if they did not all hang together, then they would surely hang separately! A compromise must be found to keep from alienating support from their sister colonies. It was pointed out by Henry Laurens of all people that the Bland Plan did not touch the issue of slavery and did not call for the abolition of either slavery or the slave trade. Rawlin Lowndes, a member of the Privy Council, was quick to point out that while there was no call to abolish slavery, the prospect of arming and providing military training for slaves was dangerous, especially when these former slaves returned home. Other members pointed out that 20 acres of land was poor compensation for a young healthy male slave capable of enduring the rigors of military service. A slave of that description would be worth 200 pounds sterling (over $23,000 dollars in today’s money) on the market square. He further pointed out that rice cultivation would not be profitable by sharecropping. William Moultrie, a member of the Legislative Council, and a Colonel commanding the 2nd South Carolina Regiment of provincial troops, declared that he would not accept slaves into his command but as a compromise would accept free negroes to serve. After several hours of debate, the Attorney General Alexander Moultrie introduced a resolution that was voted on and adopted by the Assembly. The resolution was then sent to the Congress in Philadelphia. The text read as follows.

Gentlemen of the Congress,

After many hours of reasoned debate, the Assembly of the State of South Carolina has freely voted upon and approved a resolution concerning the use of slaves as troops in the South Carolina militia. It has been concluded that the Bland Plan, recently adopted by the Congress in Philadelphia, is an impractical and unworkable plan for South Carolina. While the plan does provide generous compensation to slave owners, it has been determined that these compensations cannot make up for the losses that will be endured by the rice plantations of South Carolina. South Carolina is committed in the struggle against British tyranny and will remain so, therefore in the spirit of that commitment, and in the interest of fair compromise with our Patriot brothers, it is resolved that South Carolina will accept the enlistment of free negroes, willing to fight for our cause, into the South Carolina militia. South Carolina remains committed to the struggle for liberty, however we must also look to our financial and economic survival, the continued revenue generated from our rice plantations will contribute to our struggle, and with God’s blessings and providence, will contribute to the eventual success of our cause. We remain your most obedient and humble servants.

In South Carolina the Bland Plan was doomed to failure. The South Carolina Assembly was dominated by the Planter Class of the South Carolina lowlands, slavery was far to valuable to these planters to be diminished in any way. It was a blow to the cause of Crispus Attucks and his allies. However, the British were also aware of what was going on in Philadelphia and Charleston…………………….to be continued.

Charleston, SC 1775
Charleston-1775.jpg

Please enjoy the latest post in the story. There will be fewer posts going forward as I have posted all the updates I have pre-written. The goal is to post 2-3 updates per week. I do a lot of research in an effort to present the most plausible story possible. I already know more about rice cultivation, colonial South Carolina and the personalities of members of the Continental Congress and the SC Assembly than I ever thought I would know. If you are enjoying the story, pleased stay tuned, the story will continue.

I am not abandoning this time line. There was an unexpected death in the family and I will be off the forum for a few days. Updates will be posted when I return, 3-4 days. Thank you.

I am not abandoning this time line. There was an unexpected death in the family and I will be off the forum for a few days. Updates will be posted when I return, 3-4 days. Thank you.
Take as long as you need. I know deaths in the family can be extremely hard, especially when we already have a crisis going on.