The most ridiculous aircraft design

Insider

Banned
What... They designed a perfectly ok aircraft carrier and then decided it would launch its aircraft vertically... even though it has standard horizontal catapult... Did they received stamps collection from Mk-Ultra?

What... They designed a perfectly ok aircraft carrier and then decided it would launch its aircraft vertically... even though it has standard horizontal catapult... Did they received stamps collection from Mk-Ultra?
I'd say they take off normally, and just land vertically

Insider

Banned
I'd say they take off normally, and just land vertically
So instead for scrambing and launching 4-6 fighters in one minute in case of emergency (that could be some explanation) with vertical launchers, they decided to make them start one by one, in traditional way, but land in the hardest way they could concieve.
Yeah
Because that has even less sense ...

So instead for scrambing and launching 4-6 fighters in one minute in case of emergency (that could be some explanation) with vertical launchers, they decided to make them start one by one, in traditional way, but land in the hardest way they could concieve.
Yeah
Because that has even less sense ...
I'm just going by what I see in the pictures..
Anyway,It's a stupid f*cking idea no matter what way you put it..

Had it in service a six years earlier or so, could it have carried reinforcements to Midway and the Philippines?

Per Wikipedia, "it was designed to carry 150,000 pounds, 750 fully equipped troops or two 30-ton M4 Sherman tanks."

I wonder if it actually could have flown. I know Hughes got it up in the air for a short period of time (barely) but was it really viable?

I wonder if it actually could have flown. I know Hughes got it up in the air for a short period of time (barely) but was it really viable?
There were some very large transports that had some success in WW2, including the Messerschmitt Me 323, Blohm & Voss BV 238

The Caproni Ca60 - would have been at home in the Armada.
CaproniCa.60.jpg

This is something from an alt steam/diesel punk story. Just way too much to try to comprehend. :evilsmile:

trurle

Banned
Of modern designs, the Rotary Rocket may be most ridiculous. Handling was bad enough for even the professional test pilots to gave up.
rotaryRocket.jpg