The Moon Landing was Fake! How did they get away with that?

Whitewings

Banned
First off, no, I do not buy into the "shot in a studio" stupidity. But let's suppose for the moment that the US did fake one or more of the landings; a plausible fake could have been managed with the technology of the late 1960s and a very large budget. The big question is why the USSR wouldn't immediately blow the whistle on them, and the only reason I can see is that they 1) knew the fake would be exposed fairly quickly and 2) wanted to use the time to get their own moon expedition to completion. So they get to the moon first, and the US gets egg on its face. I know, it's a thin reason, but it's all I can come up with. Can anyone come up with other, possibly better, reasons? And yes, I do know this is edging onto ASB territory.

It's not just the Soviets who have to be persuaded to keep quiet - it's pretty much everybody capable of pointing a radio antenna at the moon and noticing there are no signals coming from it - here's a fascinating account of a ham radio operator using a mostly self-built rig listening in on the Apollo 11 broadcasts.

In July of 1969 a ham radio operator and amateur radio-astronomer by the name of Larry Baysinger, W4EJA, accomplished an amazing feat. He independently detected radio transmissions from the Apollo 11 astronauts on the lunar surface. Fortunately, his accomplishments were recorded by Glenn Rutherford, a young reporter for the Louisville (Kentucky) Courier-Journal. “Lunar Eavesdropping: Louisvillians hear moon walk talk on homemade equipment,” sporting Rutherford’s byline, appeared in the Wednesday, July 23, 1969 issue of that paper — front page of section B, the local news section (see Figure 1).

Rutherford opened the Courier story with “Thanks to some homemade electronic equipment, including a rebuilt 20 year old radio receiver from an Army tank (see Figure 2) and an antenna made of spare pieces of aluminum, nylon cord and chicken wire (see Figure 3 and 4), a small band of Louisvillians was able to ‘eavesdrop’ Sunday (July 20) night on the American astronauts’ conversation directly from the moon.”

It's just not doable I'm afraid, it's just too easy to call foul on this sort of fake.

Actually, when you factor in all the problems and difficulties in keeping the secret, and the parties who would have to have been in on it.... It was simpler to actually go to the moon.

Don't work
the Special Effects of late 1960s were not able to copy the real moon walks
even Today SFX have trouble to make similar as movement at 1/6 of Earth gravity

1968 State of art Special Effects movie
2001: A Space Odyssey

The REAL Astronauts on Moon

Don't work
the Special Effects of late 1960s were not able to copy the real moon walks
even Today SFX have trouble to make similar as movement at 1/6 of Earth gravity

1968 State of art Special Effects movie
2001: A Space Odyssey

The REAL Astronauts on Moon
This is why Stanley Kubrick didn't fake the moon landings. The depiction in 2001 is vastly different from the real thing.

So what about Apollo 13? would they try to fake something like that to increase support for NASA?

This is why Stanley Kubrick didn't fake the moon landings. The depiction in 2001 is vastly different from the real thing.

Film technology also wasn't up to the task. Either you shoot the thing on film and pray to god no one notices the grain, or you broadcast live and hope nothing goes wrong.

Either way, simplest thing would be to just say the camera malfunctioned and only take still photos.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
Actually, when you factor in all the problems and difficulties in keeping the secret, and the parties who would have to have been in on it.... It was simpler to actually go to the moon.

Impossible. The earth is a flat and round disk. It's completly impossible to leave it. Gravity doesn't exist. And I'm an idiot.