The Great Peace: A Long 19th Century

North America
North America Modern.png

North America in the present day.

1. Is the Principality of Neuchatel still ruled the House of Hohenzollern?
  2. Who is the current ruler of Wallachia?
  3. Do the Baltic states have more autonomy than Poland and Finland?
  4. Have any of the monarchies in the German Confederation been ruled by female monarchs?
  5. Does OTL’s Zog I still become King of the Albanians ITTL?

1. Is the Principality of Neuchatel still ruled the House of Hohenzollern?
  2. Who is the current ruler of Wallachia?
  3. Do the Baltic states have more autonomy than Poland and Finland?
  4. Have any of the monarchies in the German Confederation been ruled by female monarchs?
  5. Does OTL’s Zog I still become King of the Albanians ITTL?
1. Yes.
2. Wallachia seems to have been an elective monarchy, so the scion of some prominent Wallachian noble family. I imagine ones that could prove a connection to the House of Basarab would be especially popular.
3. No, but the Baltic States are de jure part of the Eastern Roman Empire while Poland and Finland are de jure in personal union.
4. Holstein and Saxe-Lauenburg has Margrethe II and Austria had Maria Theresa as OTL.
5. No, its still with the Wied-Neuwied.

Is it ruled by a cadet branch or the main line?

But why do they have a lighter color?
Main line.

Baltic states are autonomous as part of the ERE proper while Poland and Finland are not technically part of the ERE so their autonomy is represented by a darker border colour.

South America
South America Modern.png

South America in the present day. The major powers of the continent are the Viceroyalty of Peru and the Kingdom of Brazil and yes, those are Portugal and Britain in Grao Para and Tierra del Fuego respectively.

1. Any reason why Spain’s territories in the Caribbean aren’t independent viceroyalties?
  2. What’s going on in Argentina?
  3. Who’s the oldest living European monarch (Besides Franz of the Southern Netherlands)?
  4. I assume the Windsor name doesn’t exist as Word War I didn’t happen ITTL?

1. Any reason why Spain’s territories in the Caribbean aren’t independent viceroyalties?
  2. What’s going on in Argentina?
  3. Who’s the oldest living European monarch (Besides Franz of the Southern Netherlands)?
  4. I assume the Windsor name doesn’t exist as Word War I didn’t happen ITTL?
1. Better access from the Peninsula plus greater connection to the homeland due to more recent immigration waves and being a popular retirement destination.
2. Chile managed to get most of Patagonia while Argentina was fighting itself. Said fight evenually resulted in most of Argentina uniting under a confederal structure while Buenos Aires became independent.
3. Actually the oldest would probably be Pope Gregory XVII (OTL Benedict XVI) at almost 97 years of age.
4. You are correct, the British royals were still the Saxe-Coburg and Gotha until 2022 when it became the Gluckburg.

Voting and the Franchise
In the average democratic country ITTL such as the UK, France, USA, etc., the franchise is more limited that IOTL. In general, all countries limit voting to citizens that are of the country's state religion and above the age of 25 or married (whichever comes earlier), and in most democratic countries the franchise is additionally limited to:
  • Property-owning men
  • Men paying more than £2000 per month in rent
  • Men that have served for more than 10 years in the military/police/fire service
  • Men and women that have received a state honour
  • Widows of the above or of military/police/firemen that have died in the line of duty
  • EDIT: Also members of the clergy where there is an official religion

Last edited:
In the average democratic country ITTL such as the UK, France, USA, etc., the franchise is more limited that IOTL. In general, all countries limit voting to citizens that are of the country's state religion and above the age of 25 or married (whichever comes earlier), and in most democratic countries the franchise is additionally limited to:
  • Property-owning men
  • Men that have served for more than 10 years in the military/police/fire service
  • Widows of the above or of military/police/firemen that have died in the line of duty
Absolutely dystopian TL.

• Property-owning men
The US has no state religion

Absolutely dystopian TL.
It seems to be more of a give-take than a strict dystopia. Democracy may not be as strong, but on the other hand from the OP it sounds like nearly everyone has their most basic needs (healthcare, housing, etc.) provided for, which is certainly more than many OTL states today can claim, and there's also the obvious fact that TTL avoided the devastation wrought by the World Wars. Of course, a lot of this also stems from particular political views which would probably be more appropriate for Chat.

For my part, I just find it interesting that TTL seems to have a very different political outlook from ours. While I enjoy a lot of the timelines posted here, a criticism I have is that a lot of them seem to assume the ultimate triumph of neoliberalism and values similar to those of our own present, when none of this was set in stone.