Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Part 150, Chapter 2716
Chapter Two Thousand Seven Hundred Sixteen

4th September 1978

Belitung Island, Dutch East Indies

There were all kinds of things wrong with this operation, Gunnery Sergeant Tyrone Lee thought to himself.

For years, Lee had heard stories about the amount of firepower a German Marine Rifle Company could bring to bear and put it down to propaganda. To actually see it though, especially when it was being expended on ostensibly civilian structures was shocking. Then there was what the Navy had done. Looking up at the roof of the hut made corrugated steel, Lee could see this one had been hit by several 20mm mine shells that had blown fist sized chunks out of it that light was streaming through. This sort of roof was valued for its ability to catch rainwater, it was no longer fit for service. The rest of the place was lightly built with walls made of woven coconut fiber. Lee knew that the 20mm shells that had hit the roof were flyers resulting from the bobbing of a landing craft. Those shells would passed right through a structure like this, only detonating when they hit something solid. Cold comfort if anyone had been in here. If the shells had not gotten them, the rain of fragments from the shells hitting the roof would have.

Stepping out of the hut, Lee saw that the survivors of the assault were being rounded up by men from the local APRA Militia who had just arrived. It would have been better if the KNIL, the regular Dutch Army of the East Indies were the ones doing that but apparently they were elsewhere today. That was a problem because even in the Philippines, Lee had heard all about Ratu Adil. Even with their reputation of savagery from the brutal Battle of Leningrad or the Borneo Campaign with the allegations of cannibalism among other things, the German Marines were choirboys by comparison.

“We have a problem here Oberfeld” Lee said as soon as he found Muller on the main avenue of what was left of the village. “If we let those guys take the prisoners they will torture them for information, probably shooting them in the back of the head when they are done.”

When Lee had been a boy his grandfather had told him about fighting the Germans in the trenches with the 15th New York National Guard Regiment, the Harlem Hellfighters. This was because Lee had found his Grandfather’s old Adrian helmet in the attic along with a number of documents and medals including a French Croix de Guerre. His grandfather had felt compelled to tell the story he had not told anyone since he had come home from the First World War and eventually settled in Albany, New York, until that day. His description of the Germans had confused Lee at the time. How the German prisoners of war in the camps the Hellfighters had been tasked with guarding had been warm and jovial, curious about all things American. Then there were the Germans he had encountered in the trenches, basically the same people. Cold-eyed, ruthless killers.

When Muller turned and looked at Lee, suddenly what his grandfather had said made perfect sense. Lee had thought that he had gotten to know Aaron Muller quite well over the last few months. This was his other side.

“We need the continued cooperation of the locals, at least the ones who are not totally corrupt as to be reporting to both sides” Muller said as he walked up the lane with Lee keeping pace. “And do you notice anything odd about this place?”

Lee looked around, nothing seemed too out of place. It was a remote fishing village.

“There is no school, church, or children” Muller said, “Though I guess the people around here have different names for those things, but for a community this size of this one that is odd.”

Once that was pointed out to him, Lee couldn’t help but seeing it. This place had only one reason to exist, and it had not been fishing. There were work parties wearing the uniforms of the Marine Infantry and the Tropical uniforms of KM HSF Sailors. Digging through the wreckage of what had been the largest building.

Turning a corner, a foul smell filled the air. Lee saw that another work party had dug up a trench. There was a team of photographers and what looked like a forensics team at work. In the trench was the stuff of nightmares. Bodies of people who had been dead for some time, men, women, and children.

“This is why you shouldn’t cry too many tears for that lot” Muller said, pointing his thumb back at the prisoners. “We believe that these are the crew and passengers of a cargo ship that was taken off Madura Island last month. It is going to take some time to identify them due to the advanced state of decomposition.”

Dublin, Ireland

There was a cartoon that Marie Alexandra had once seen in the funny pages of a newspaper back in Montreal where a small flock of birds had landed on an ice-flow. One of them was demanding to know why they had flown three thousand miles just for this. She couldn’t help but think of that as she sat through the Orientation lecture for First Year Law Students.

First there had been a lengthy lecture, that might have actually been interesting if the delivery had been any good, about how Michael Collins had adopted a version of the European Civil Code as opposed to English Common Law. Probably as one more way of letting the English know that they no longer ruled Ireland. Then they had gone point by point over the academic schedule, the formal events where attendance was mandatory, the dress code in lectures and at those formal events, as well as a million other things it seemed.

Around noon, there was break for lunch and Marie received a message from Jack Kennedy about how he wanted to meet with her as soon as it could be arranged. It was about then that Marie realized just what she was in for.

Last edited:
First there had been a lengthy lecture, that might have actually been interesting if the delivery had been any good, about how Michael Collins had adopted a version of the European Civil Code as opposed to English Common Law.
After a move like that, Collins not being assassinated by a combination of the entire Legal Profession, Civil Service, Law Enforcement and Revenue Agents is shocking.

After a move like that, Collins not being assassinated by a combination of the entire Legal Profession, Civil Service, Law Enforcement and Revenue Agents is shocking.
I know, but it shows the state that Ireland was in during the 20's in TTL. Collins was basically building up from scratch and no one was in a position to oppose him.

I know, but it shows the state that Ireland was in during the 20's in TTL. Collins was basically building up from scratch and no one was in a position to oppose him.
I get it, and I'm not saying that the move is without any merit, but it's a bit jarring to have it be Collins doing it, considering he tended to be an exception among the leadership in the War of Independence in that he actually tended to consider what shape civil and financial functions would need to take after the fighting was done.

The idea of doing this comes across much more strongly as something De Valera would do. That being he'd get pissed off at something petty the British did and overblow his response and refuse to back down out of stubbornness.

the dress code in lectures
Dunno if TCD had a dress code for anything outside formal wear. My mother was there in the 80s and judging by some of her college photos if there was one then it got regularly ignored... :p
It was about then that Marie realized that it was going to be an extremely long three years.
Law in Trinity is a Four-Year programme.

Also worth noting that it doesn't work the way that American unis do. You don't do undergrad and then do Law, it is an undergrad course - you literally start a Law course straight out of school here. Which if Marie is doing undergrad Law after having already been in college, she'll likely be a few years older than the Irish students in her course.

Part 150, Chapter 2717
Chapter Two Thousand Seven Hundred and Seventeen

7Th September 1978

Mitte, Berlin

It was a rainy Thursday afternoon and all Zella wanted to do was lay on the couch in the parlor listening to music. Having Kiki present was an added bonus, especially because she wanted to visit Irina as well as Zella. It wasn’t that Zella disliked her daughter, far from it. It was that passing off parenting duties for a little bit was welcome at times. Like when Zella had been given a tape reel that she was supposed to listen to and give her opinion in a timely manner. That was hard to do with a toddler who loved to get into things she shouldn’t. It didn’t take too much imagination to figure out which one of her parents Irina had gotten that from. Getting into things she shouldn’t was why Zella had a tape to listen to.

The music was rough. Hardly a surprise considering that Ozzy was a singer and couldn’t really play any instruments and Ian was far better on bass than guitar or piano. The two of them still managed to cobble together a number of songs in Ian’s spare time. While much of it involved the ribald humor of those two, Zella found that some of the songs merited a second or third listen.

“This one is pretty good” Kiki said looking up from helping Irina scribble on a roll of butcher paper. The song that was playing was about figuring out that you are not who you thought you were. Among Zella’s earliest memories was in this house scribbling on a roll of butcher paper with Aunt Kat helping her. It was from there that she developed into an artist. As Irina had gotten older, realizing that she needed a roll of butcher paper had been something that Zella had found joyful.

“You think so?” Zella asked.

“Yes and you are friends with the band, right?” Kiki asked in reply.

“Sort of” Zella replied, “Ozzy wants me to be their publicist slash quasi-manager until they find someone who actually wants the to do the job and I have been trying to help him fill out the band with a drummer and a guitarist.”

Finding a drummer had actually been easy. A friend of a friend of Zella knew that former Onyx drummer Hermann Erbel was between bands at the moment, and he had answered the phone on the third ring. A guitarist had been trickier though. Ozzy was known quantity and Zella had talked to three guitarists who didn’t want to deal with his bullshit. Another half dozen had hung up the phone as soon as they had found out who they would be working with. There was guitarist Mick Taylor who was doing session work after basically finding himself at loose ends following the disintegration of Mick Jagger’s band, Delta Flier, a couple years earlier. Having another member of the band frying their brain with a heroin overdose tended to have that effect. On paper, Taylor seemed to be a good match. He was a great guitarist and Zella figured that he would know how to deal with chaotic personalities, but he had yet to call her back.

Kiki had a smirk on her face. “I know how you fall into things” She said, “No real plan at all.”

“A few years ago, perhaps” Zella said, “But Oz and Ian are overgrown teenagers, I don’t have the patience for that anymore. Do you understand?”

Zella expected Kiki to say the same sort of thing that her mother might have. In retrospect, Zella realized that she had taken a very long time to grow up. This was while Kiki had been forced to grow up fast. Family expectations, the Medical Service, and Kiki’s own nature had seen to that. Instead, Kiki said nothing as Irina got to her feet and walked over to Zella on unsteady legs. Picking her up, Zella hugged her closely. Her mother was concerned that Irina was such a quiet little girl, the truth was that Zella knew that Irina had plenty to say when she wanted to. That was it though, it was when Irine wanted to.

Still, at her mother’s insistence, Irina’s hearing and cognitive abilities had been checked. It was hardly a surprise that they said that Irina was considered normal. It was the normal part that Zella objected to. In her opinion Irina was so much more than that.

“It seems to me that you could have a lot of fun though” Kiki said.

“Perhaps” Zella replied with a shrug. Watching Ian and Ozzy wreck themselves, which was probably inevitable, would not be fun. The thankless task of becoming their babysitter was equally undesirable.

They sat there for a long moment of silence.

“I debated coming here this week” Kiki finally said, “There is so much to do, figuring what to pack and what to put in storage.”

“I cannot believe you are going back to Argentina” Zella replied, “Especially Patagonia. You remember what happened the last time?”

“Things are a bit different now” Kiki said, sounding a bit exasperated. Zella figured that this wasn’t the first time someone had mentioned her last, disastrous trip to that part of South America. “After Elene was born Ben and I decided that he ought to get a vasectomy.”

Zella snorted at that. Knowing Kiki, Ben had not really had a choice once she brought it up.

When Zella had realized that she was pregnant with Irina she had realized that it was going to be the last time that it could happen. While Zella and Yuri were still trying to sort out what they wanted for the future, Zella’s decision to have her tubes tied had been nonnegotiable. Getting drunk, stoned, and stupid, and then forgetting to take a pill… Zella had learned from the experience. Never again on so many levels it wasn’t funny.

Last edited:
I may have mentioned this before, but Lemmy is a prodigious song writer. He was supposed to have knocked out Mama I'm coming home for Ozzy in about 10 minutes.

So to have a demo with 30 songs in a more or less complete condition in a few months is Ian taking it easy...

I could still see him writing 1916 though.

I could still see him writing 1916 though.
Considering the country he's living and working in, I could imagine a few tweaked lyrics and it being a much, much more broadly popular anti-war song.

Still based in the experience of poor Northern communities in Britain, but also incorporating the suffering of the poor soldiers of the other side as well.

The best way to fight the pirates is to spread the money around on rewards for information, there could be different bands of pirates around and they would be more than happy to inform on their rivals.

Marie needs to either find out what she really wants to do with her life, or get with the program and give law school a fair chance.
Jack Kennedy will make sure that she has everything she needs, and Marie may find out that Jack has arranged the problem of Marie being followed by foreign intelligence agencies solved by his “friends”.

Kiki and Ben are going to be treated like royalty by the Argentinian people with Kat’s friend Martzel providing extra security in return for them being his guests.
Kiki is going to be very happy going out in the countryside providing medical care to people who can’t easily get to it, she will find that is the kind of medicine she always wanted to do.

Zella, with her contacts knows who are the most honest managers in the music industry, and should be able to help out Ozzy and Leakey.

If Prince Consort Louis Ferdinand of Romania wants to give some deep water and potential combat experience to his navy, he might consider sending them to the DEI to help fight pirates over there.
The last action the Romanian Navy saw was probably during The Soviet War in containing the Soviet Black Sea Fleet, helping out in bombarding Soviet positions in Crimea.

Marie can walk into any office of a multinational corporation with her c.v. and along with her high level contacts and language skills, she would be instantly hired to be a “Special Personnel Assistant to the CEO” with her own secretary and assistant, at a very high starting salary with all the perks and benefits to go along with it.
Also, the same holds if she want to work with an international organization from the League of Nations, to the International Red Cross, to the IOC, and anything else where her language skills would make her a valuable asset.
But if she really wanted to do those things, then she would be doing them and not going to Trinity for law school, she is still trying to figure out her life and Trinity in Ireland is just as good as place to gain space and time as anywhere else.

Part 150, Chapter 2718
Chapter Two Thousand Seven Hundred and Eighteen

10th September 1978

Java Sea, North of Bawean Island

The ships were cruising slowly east on a calm sea, overhead the stars were brilliant revealing just how far they were from civilization. Once again, Erich found himself leaning on the rail looking at the stars. He had found that this was one of the few places that he had time to think. The cabin that he shared with three other Leutnants wasn’t a great place to sort his thoughts.

Erich had spoken with Oberfeld Muller, and the Oberfeld had related the conversation he’d had with the Gunnery Sergeant Lee. Muller was convinced that the American’s sensibilities were shaped by the fact that his nation had not fought a real war in decades. Wouldn’t that be a lark. Spending your entire career in a Garrison City like Cuxhaven, no risks and it would just like any other job. Even as he had the thought, Erich realized how boredom would drive the vast majority of the Marine Infantry completely insane. He had seen that much while they had been in Pusan…

There was a splash that distracted Erich from his thoughts. Poldi, the Battalion’s Senior Cook was emptying a trashcan over the side. Knowing the sort of cooking that Poldi did, Erich couldn’t imagine what he was throwing away considering some of the things that were rumored to have ended up in the stewpot. If it was within screaming distance of edible it was considered food. Still, Poldi was treated with a great deal of respect, mostly because no one in their right mind angered the man who was making their next meal.

Erich had no idea what Poldi’s surname or actual rank was. Just that according to rumor he had once been a proper Marine in a Rifle Company before he had aged out of that role. He had become a Cook to avoid forced retirement with the help of friends in the Naval High Command. His lack of culinary ability was more than made for by his talent for feeding a lot of men with whatever was on hand.

“Poldi” Erich said in greeting.

“Leutnant” Poldi replied, “Taking a smoke break?”

“I don’t smoke” Erich said, “That is discouraged since it was discovered that the men could be worked harder if they didn’t lose their wind.”

Poldi found that hilarious even though Erich wasn’t joking. As if to provide a direct counterpoint, Poldi pulled a pack of cigarettes out of the breast pocket of the stained apron that might have once been white that he was wearing.

“I am glad you found that amusing” Erich said.

“Don’t get me wrong Leutnant” Poldi said, “I just think about how different things are from when I was your age. During the siege of Leningrad we all needed our vices to keep from going nuts, then whenever the weather got above freezing there was the smell.”

“I guess” Erich replied, “I suppose that things will be just as different when I am your age.”

“When you are my age you will be leading a Division” Poldi said, blowing smoke out of his nose. “Unless you get killed or totally fuck up in the meantime, though with your last name I don’t know what that would look like.”

Dublin, Ireland

It was hardly a surprise that Marie had been asleep right up until Jack had knocked on her front door if her mussed hair and dressing gown were anything to judge by. It being a Sunday morning, this was probably the strongest indication that she was out from under the influence of her paternal grandmother. She no longer had to pretend to keep up appearances, so she didn’t bother.

The apartment was the same one that Jack had lived in before he had married Bridget. Considering that Marie had the same attitude that her mother had when it came to money, if he had not stepped in it was easy to imagine her renting a flat in one of the worst neighborhoods of Dublin to save money despite her family swimming in it. Of course, that was sort of how the Mischner family had gotten where they were once you got past where much of the family fortune had come from in the first place. Jack had helped Kat Mischner launder it, so he knew better than anyone and the amounts were large even by the standards of his own family. The detail that Kat had become one of the House of Hohenzollern’s key creditors in the process made her basically untouchable within Germany. That was the reason they had made her the Prefect of Berlin, Queen in everything but name. It created a huge amount of leverage that they had on her. There was also the real story of Kat’s father, Marie’s grandfather, that Kaiser Friedrich IV had once implied he knew about. Everyone knew that Otto Mischner had been a gangster, but that only scratched the surface and Jack had realized that man had been the Devil himself. Kat had a lot of very good reasons to keep all of that under wraps.

“What do you want Jack?” Marie asked as she let him in.

“I wanted to see how you were adjusting” Jack said.

“See” Marie said, “Happy?”

With that, Marie started running an electric coffee grinder making conversation impossible. Rather than yell over that, Jack just watched her prepare coffee.

“I am not thrilled about being back to square one in University” Marie finally said, once she finished making herself coffee. Her not offering any to him was a calculated slight, letting him know that she wasn’t happy with him.

“I graduated from Harvard and spent some time in the US Navy before I started at Trinity” Jack replied, “I found that it gave me a leg up on other students.”

Marie said nothing in response. She had many other options, but this one was the one she chose. So it was probably a safe assumption that this was a sort of performance art. The thing was that Jack didn’t care about that. He needed Marie for his own ends, and he had a case that he knew would be impossible for her to ignore.

“I have something that you might be interested in” Jack said as he dropped an accordion file onto the kitchen table. “It will be a big help to me and to you, as a student.”

Last edited:
There was a splash that distracted Erich from his thoughts. Poldi, the Battalion’s Senior Cook was emptying a trashcan over the side. Knowing the sort of cooking that Poldi did, Erich couldn’t imagine what he was throwing away considering some of the things that were rumored to have ended up in the stewpot. If it was within screaming distance of edible it was considered food. Still, Poldi was treated with a great deal of respect, mostly because no one in their right mind angered the man who was making their next meal.
There 3 people aboard ship that you never, ever, piss off: The Captain, the Coxswain and the Cook.
“I am not thrilled about being back to square one in University” Marie finally said, once she finished making herself coffee. Her not offering any to him was a calculated slight, letting him know that she wasn’t happy with him.
As a newly former student, sleep is air and Jack just woke Marie up. On a Sunday!! He knows he's lucky she didn't slam the door in his face.

Part 150, Chapter 2719
Chapter Two Thousand Seven Hundred and Nineteen

12th September 1978

Hohenzollern Castle

There was broken masonry and shards of glass everywhere.

With a bit of exasperation, Kiki looked up at the partially collapsed tower, it wasn’t the same one that she had lived in during her infrequent stays which was a blessing. She had a lot of happy memories tied up in that small suite of rooms.

When she had heard about the earthquake a week prior and had been more concerned with the welfare of the people who lived in the surrounding communities than the castle her family owned. She had been tasked with minding the castle as part of being Princess Royal, she was meant to be Kristina of Hohenzollern for the rest of her life.

There had also been a lot of phone conversations about that thing that had been quietly ticking away deep under the mountain. Kiki had spent a small fortune over the last few years finally getting it dismantled and removed along with retrofitting the rest of the castle for exactly this eventuality. The damage might have been more extensive without that effort, though it was hard to tell from this angle. It was looking like Kiki was going to have to spend another small fortune. That would be much to the delight of carpenters, stonemasons, metalworkers, and dozens of others in the building trades employed for the foreseeable future. If any of them were putting down roots in Hechingen then it might be an investment that would pay dividends in the future.

It was nice to visit Zella last week. This was because in Zella’s thinking Berlin was the center of the universe. The Hohenzollern Province couldn’t be further from her thinking. Zella was far more concerned about Kiki’s plans to go to Argentina and Kiki was always delighted to see her Goddaughter Irina.

The truth was that Kiki was looking forward to going to Argentina. What Ben was involved with was one of several Astronomical projects that were planned in rain shadow of the Andes Mountains due to the clear weather year-round. Kiki remembered how much her skills as a Doctor were needed.

Dublin, Ireland

After a long day in lectures, Marie was asleep on her feet as she was able to finally make her way home. Before she could sleep though, she had opened a can of tomato soup that she set to heat up on the stove. She had promised Kiki that she would try to take care of herself. That included eating better and looking at the bottles of pills with a bit of distaste, taking the vitamins that Kiki had said she needed. Marie opened the bottles, first there was the white one, then the black one, followed by the one that was a gel tablet that contained cod liver oil. Supposedly the pills were calcium and iron, which Kiki said she needed. Marie had no idea what the cod liver oil was for, just that Kiki had insisted that she needed it and had called Bridget Kennedy to make sure that she had it.

Marie took the three pills with sips of water and as she waited for the soup to heat up, she opened the accordion file that Jack had placed there yesterday morning. She had warned him that the next time he bothered her before noon on a Sunday he should expect her to do her level best to ignore him.

Jack said that he had provided the files because according to him, Marie “Spoke the language” of the perspective clients. It wasn’t a different language per say, it was the ability to talk to them without them getting defensive or them simply refusing to talk. Marie apparently checked a lot of boxes when it came to what Jack wanted. She was young, nonthreatening, and just happened to be a woman. When she had spoken with Jack, she had asked if there was anyone else available in his firm who had those qualifications? His response was to tell her that considering her own family history this was a “There but by the grace of God go I” sort of situation. He had not elaborated on that, nor had he answered Marie’s question.

On its face, the case was about compensation. Though Jack said that it was never just one thing considering the players involved.

The complicating factor was that the Defendant would be a large institution and Jack wanted all his ducks in a row before he would even consider bringing a lawsuit. In order to do that he needed information, lots of it. That was where Marie came into the picture. In addition the handful of clients whose files Marie was looking at there were potentially hundreds of clients, most of whom were from the bottom rungs of Irish society. They had a lot of reason not to trust the system and would look at Jack’s offer to represent them free of charge with deep suspicion. He thought it would be better to get her to talk to them in her spare time.

Pouring the tomato soup into a bowl, Marie thought about Jack’s various offers. That included Sunday dinner at his house. She knew that Jack and Bridget were in contact with her mother. Perhaps that was a good way to make sure that she would be free to do what she wanted the rest of the week.

There had also been a lot of phone conversations about that thing that had been quietly ticking away deep under the mountain. Kiki had spent a small fortune over the last few years finally getting it dismantled and removed along with retrofitting the rest of the castle for exactly this eventuality. The damage might have been more extensive without that effort, though it was hard to tell from this angle.
Oh, thank God! The locals might not know it, but they can sleep easier without that obsolete reactor being in their midst.
The complicating factor was that the Defendant would be a large institution and Jack wanted all his ducks in a row before he would even consider bringing a lawsuit. In order to do that he needed information, lots of it. That was where Marie came into the picture. In addition the handful of clients whose files Marie was looking at there were potentially hundreds of clients, most of whom were from the bottom rungs of Irish society. They had a lot of reason not to trust the system and would look at Jack’s offer to represent them free of charge with deep suspicion. He thought it would be better to get her to talk to them in her spare time.
Looks like Jack is gearing up to take on another cornerstone of Irish society on behalf of its many victims. First time he did this, Kat had to restrain herself from ending a great many people within the Irish Catholic Church, although she did spring his client from prison and ensured it went public outside of Ireland. It would seem he wants Marie to put the institution's prey at ease over his intentions and motives. In doing so, Marie might even find a purpose in life.

Part 150, Chapter 2720
Chapter Two Thousand Seven Hundred and Twenty

16th September 1978

Da Nang, Vietnam

It was pouring down rain and so hot that it felt like being in a sauna. The men were in high spirits despite the weather. This was a place where they would be greeted as heroes. In a few minutes, the Company would be dismissed to enjoy twenty-four hours of freedom.

After days of waiting aboard the SMS Cuxhaven the High Command decided that they needed a breather and redirected them to Da Nang in Vietnam. It had been the site of a major battle during the Pacific War. In the years since it had become a famous, or infamous depending on your perspective, liberty port. While everyone else had been overjoyed when they got that news, Erich had a different perspective. As Leutnant he had to play the role of wet blanket at the express direction of the Medical Officers. This was because of the rumors that everyone had heard. That there was this super bug that there was a nightmare version of the clap that was going around. Erich had been tasked with making sure that everyone had read the pamphlet that summarized what the Medical Service knew and what the recommended best practices were. There was also a list of scams that they would be subject to. They all had to sign those papers so that there would be a record on file that they had read it. He was unsure if many of them had listened as they were dismissed by Hauptmann Dunkel. As he watched them scramble to leave, Erich walked back into the barracks that the Company was using as the Cuxhaven was being fumigated because he still had a lot left on his plate that the Hauptmann had dumped there. Not that he minded being indoors today. After months of being at the mercy of the weather in the tropical seas the air conditioning, even if it was from decrepit window units that dripped water constantly, and a room in the Bachelor Officer’s Quarters that he had entirely to himself were an unbelievable luxury.

The men had joked about how the Navy would have made then stay on the ship, except the hydrogen cyanide that would kill everything still onboard. Erich had seen the Sailors unloading the crates of canasters with the manufacture’s label Tesch & Stabenow Cyclone B printed on each one along with dozens of lines of warnings and a skull and crossbones. It had been noticeable that the Sailors who had been carrying out the fumigation itself were wearing the full chemical warfare suits, the humid heat be damned. They said that the instant you got careless with that stuff it killed you.

Sitting down at the desk in his room, Erich pried out the drawer which had rust issues and removed several sheets of paper, one of which he fed into the typewriter. Because Hauptmann Dunkel had decided that he needed to practice doing the after-action reports. It seemed that Dunkel had been procrastinating until he had delegated the responsibility to Erich. It was a slow laborious task, reading the barely legible handwritten notes and transcribing them, then doing his best to turn them into something comprehensible. Erich was lucky that the Naval Academy had realized somewhere along the line that typing was a valuable skill. He had done most of the work the night before, but the conclusions were a bit thornier. How exactly did he describe the events of the 4th of September? It had been a one-sided fight at the beginning of what was expected to be a protracted campaign. Erich gave a condensed version of events without making any predictions about what was ahead of them. Everyone knew that the next time they encountered the band of pirates they were hunting the pirates would be waiting for them, so he didn’t need to say anything.

Next there was a memo from the High Command in Wunsdorf-Zossen asking about Unit Structure that needed to be responded to. Erich knew all about the structure of his Platoon, three squads of ten men each and the Headquarters Section. Three Platoons to a Company. The Headquarters Section was Erich as the Platoon Commander, Oberfeld Muller as the Assistant Platoon Leader, the Radio Operator, the Medic, the two men who operated the 5cm “Knee” Mortar, the two men who ran the Panzerfaust 400, and finally two Runners. The Squads were comprised of a Leader, an Assistant Leader, A Machine Gun Section with a Gunner and one or two assistants depending on the weapon used, the Gunner needed more help with the heavier MG42/56 as opposed to the much lighter Vz.60. There were two Grenadiers armed with AG44 Rifles equipped with the underbarrel Grenade Launchers. Everyone else was armed with a Mauser G44 or the substitute standard Czech made CZ Vz.62P Rifle, both fired the 6.5 x 38K DFW cartridge. Erich typed up how all of that had worked as they had shredded grass huts in the Dutch East Indies.

That had been how Platoons had basically been structured since the Second World War with changes made due to the introduction of improved radios and better weapons. It was Erich’s hope that Wunsdorf wasn’t planning on monkeying around with it.

“Leutnant von Raeder?” A voice asked, “I would have assumed that you would joined the others going into the City of Da Nang tonight.”

“Too much to do here Pastor” Erich replied as he turned and saw the bespectacled middle-aged man standing in the doorway. Pastor Konrad Metzger of the German Union of Protestant Churches served as one of the Chaplains attached to Erich’s Battalion.

“I don’t object to seeing one of the young men in my congregation behaving in manner that won’t insure his eternal damnation for once” Metzger said with paper thin solemnly. It was a reminder of why he was generally disliked. Soldiers were not the only ones sent to the Marine Infantry because they had really pissed someone off.

“What do you need Pastor?” Erich asked.

“Me, nothing” Metzger replied, “But I have something that might interest you.”

Metzger pulled a stack of envelopes from a pocket before selecting one and handing it to Erich.

“Part of a program for men in harm’s way” Metzger said, “Those who have no one back home.”

“And you think that is me?” Erich asked.

“Well, we pay attention to these things” Metzger replied, “You’ve received no mail since the Regiment left Korea. This will give you someone to write to. To let you know that you are not forgotten as it were.”

Erich looked at the envelope. He had told his father to cut it out with the scheming to get him out of the Marine Infantry and had not heard anything from his parents in the months since.

Last edited:
You have the question of the weapons and circumstances dictating the tactics with the structure of Rifle Companies and Platoons having clearly evolved from those employed during the Second World War. While "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" certainly applies, there are those within the High Command in Wunsdorf-Zossen who are questioning the current status quo. They have to be aware of the changes of structure that the British and Australians would be implementing at this time in the counter-insurgencies within their own spheres of influence.

At the same time you have the inadvertent setup of conflicting doctrines within the Heer and Marine Infantry units. The first is the use of the MG42/56, an improved version of the old bonesaw General Purpose Machine Gun being used with the CZ Vz.60 within the same Platoon. The Vz.60 LMG being an evolution of the Czech Vz.26/BREN family chambered in the same intermediate 6.5mm cartridge as the Mauser G44. The second is subtle with the Mauser G44, a FN FAL analog, now being used in parallel with the CZ Vz.62P has evolved on its own from the Vz.52 without having to resemble the AK47 from OTL. Each of those place a different emphasis on the structure and tactics.

Last edited:
I think that whomever is our mystery potential pen pal is, will have an interesting impact on Erich's life and may be someone of importance.
I also think that Erich is being set up to be one of the officers who will change a major way that the Marine Infantry's TO&E is structured for the actual missions that the MI is anticipated to fight in the future.
Next stop for Erich is Special Warfare training to become a Sea Lion.