Hard to believe that Maximilian is dead after so many years reigning as Emperor. He will be miss. Any chances of the European monarchies going to visit his funeral? If not to pay respects for the man, but to find an off-ramp for their problems with the Belgian prince?

Hey KingSweden24, for some notes on Russia's political future something you might consider though this may sound very bizarre Finnophbia, a trend that lasted for a little while.

The concept is quite simple in theory, the Russian far/populist right began to agitate and build their base around by attacking the Dutchy of Finland politically, a process that began in early in the 1900s but really accelerated after 1905. This could happen for a couple of reasons one it's union status meant it began to be perceived as a parasite not being subject to conscription being protected by the Russians and state efforts at developing say the railways were seen as taking resources that could have been used in actual Russia on disloyal people meanwhile that the mostly loyal or at least willing to work with senate felt increasingly persecuted both internally and in the greater empire. Add in some hysteria about potential Finnish insurgents attacking the Capital you can see how this became both a bugbear of the right post 1905 till bigger concerns like world war one replaced it.

Granted would be different here for a couple of reasons, one think something that might trigger it would be Petersburg's growing so big starts creeping over the Finnish side of the border, triggering legal disputes that the Russian right tries to capitalize on.

Mainly because I think a big source of tension in Russia's future won't be entirely minorities seeking autonomy as much as the rather poor majority of the population seeking more feeling neglected after decades of well neglect of much of Russia at the expense of the minorities.

That and and the state having set a bit of a trap for itself, by that border regions for a lot of reasons would receive a lot of development, it's natural that say Ukraine with it's ports allowing trade with the outside world and a lot of resources would be more built up than say Orenburg by the state however that leaves a bit of a problem.

One, if the Russian interior stays undeveloped it's natural people in overpopulated rather poor provinces they would migrate to say the Baltics for work creating communal tension with the locals acting as a recruiting factor for both nationalists and Russian far right who would profit from it.

Two begin some redistributive development of Russia, in theory this would be a solution that satisfies most people but the industrialists and nobility belonging to the traditional right would resist the process throughout not wishing to see another power base in the country made unless they got most of the pie. Then you also have the issue of satisfising the now to be neglected border regions which after the recent central European war would be one of Russia's highest priorities.

Sure, but a result like that *can* occur in MD or IL and basically cannot in PA.

Anyway, I’m not sure you can call any of those three cities with a straight face.
Yeah, you'd have a *very* difficult time shrinking Pittsburgh to that point. *maybe* after the battle of Pittsburgh in TL-191. Heck, Erie (or even Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton) might be enough to keep that from happening in Pennsylvania.

Certainly not major league sports level city but cities none the less. In Maryland, while the city of Baltimore is equal to a county, everything else from Annapolis and Baltimore to "Chevy Chase, Village of, Section 5" is treated the same https://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/01glance/html/mun.html

And Annapolis wasn't fought over, but was occupied, so figure some damage on the way out when they had to retreat with the rest of the Confederates to behind the Potomac.

Hey KingSweden24, for some notes on Russia's political future something you might consider though this may sound very bizarre Finnophbia, a trend that lasted for a little while.

The concept is quite simple in theory, the Russian far/populist right began to agitate and build their base around by attacking the Dutchy of Finland politically, a process that began in early in the 1900s but really accelerated after 1905. This could happen for a couple of reasons one it's union status meant it began to be perceived as a parasite not being subject to conscription being protected by the Russians and state efforts at developing say the railways were seen as taking resources that could have been used in actual Russia on disloyal people meanwhile that the mostly loyal or at least willing to work with senate felt increasingly persecuted both internally and in the greater empire. Add in some hysteria about potential Finnish insurgents attacking the Capital you can see how this became both a bugbear of the right post 1905 till bigger concerns like world war one replaced it.

Granted would be different here for a couple of reasons, one think something that might trigger it would be Petersburg's growing so big starts creeping over the Finnish side of the border, triggering legal disputes that the Russian right tries to capitalize on.

Mainly because I think a big source of tension in Russia's future won't be entirely minorities seeking autonomy as much as the rather poor majority of the population seeking more feeling neglected after decades of well neglect of much of Russia at the expense of the minorities.

That and and the state having set a bit of a trap for itself, by that border regions for a lot of reasons would receive a lot of development, it's natural that say Ukraine with it's ports allowing trade with the outside world and a lot of resources would be more built up than say Orenburg by the state however that leaves a bit of a problem.

One, if the Russian interior stays undeveloped it's natural people in overpopulated rather poor provinces they would migrate to say the Baltics for work creating communal tension with the locals acting as a recruiting factor for both nationalists and Russian far right who would profit from it.

Two begin some redistributive development of Russia, in theory this would be a solution that satisfies most people but the industrialists and nobility belonging to the traditional right would resist the process throughout not wishing to see another power base in the country made unless they got most of the pie. Then you also have the issue of satisfising the now to be neglected border regions which after the recent central European war would be one of Russia's highest priorities.
Unfortunately, the calculation becomes "How easy is it to move all Finns to Yakutsk?"

Did not expect this was thinking 1922 would be when Maximilian died.
End of an era. Brought a small tear to my eye. “Descanse en paz, su majestad.”
Was Max a perfect Emperor? Of course not. Was he the Emperor Mexico needed in 1862 and well beyond? Yeah, I think he was.

Goodbye to both Max and to Maximilian of Mexico, this TL's longest running cited book. That thing must be a thousand pages hahaha.
The end of an era! Only his brother's reign in Austria had the same length and bridge to the past OTL! Great send off!
Tu requiescas in armis Sanctorum, Maximilianus Magnus, Imperator Mexici
Definitely strange to bid adieu to this man, but I think it's time, and time marches on relentlessly, whether one dies out of nowhere (Forrest, Custer), are cut down to die slowly (Chamberlain, Nappy IV) or finally get to go in peace (Max).
With the editing of the Table of Contents, the Central European War has finally arrived.
Indeed. I have a title for the next Part picked out that might be... a bit on the nose.
Hard to believe that Maximilian is dead after so many years reigning as Emperor. He will be miss. Any chances of the European monarchies going to visit his funeral? If not to pay respects for the man, but to find an off-ramp for their problems with the Belgian prince?
I was indeed fond of the idea proposed earlier that his funeral be something of a last-ditch effort by some aspiring diplomat to solve a problem.

I like how you've collected your thoughts here. Finland is, like Poland and central Ukraine around Kiev and the Dnipro (the areas around the Don I figure will be stably colonized by Russians as the Donetsk Basin rises in importance and is already semi-Russophonic at this point in time, but I'm going to leave it there to avoid any subjects from current pol), going to be a problem long term for St. Petersburg.

Of course these problems are orders of magnitude different - I liked the suggestion somebody gave in the old thread of Ukraine being something like Russia's Scotland in many senses, so there's probably less of an independence movement for Ukrainians sans anything like the Holodomor, WW2, and then the very specific circumstances of the USSR's collapse.

Definitely strange to bid adieu to this man, but I think it's time, and time marches on relentlessly, whether one dies out of nowhere (Forrest, Custer), are cut down to die slowly (Chamberlain, Nappy IV) or finally get to go in peace (Max).
Very happy that Max got to die in peace! As the MC of the TL he deserved such an end.

"...Maximilian and Carlota attended private Christmas services in the Chapultepec's imperial chapel rather than the cathedral down upon the Zocalo below, and at a grand family dinner on Christmas Day, he was noted by many - Margarita Clementina, her two elder sons, a number of palace guards - to have been more chipper than they had seen him in quite some time. Grandchildren sat in his lap, and he regaled everyone with stories of the poorer, more agrarian Mexico he and Carlota had found, and then the story of their voyage to the New World, and the half-finished construction of their palace Miramare on the Adriatic, which he had never been able to enjoy. It was a sweet moment but one even Louis Maximilian found strange, for he had never heard his father speak with such yearning for Europe or to "swim below Miramare" so much before.

Maximilian and Carlota went to bed, separately, on the night of December 27th. One of the Emperor's nurses came in to check on him shortly before midnight and found him peacefully sleeping, with a smile on his face. When another attendant came early in the morning, Maximilian of Mexico had expired, still smiling, hands clasped over his chest, his eyes closed and his chin resting gently on his chest, propped up by the pillow. The nurse made the sign of the cross and out of superstition placed her crucifix in his hands, and then called for help: the Emperor was dead, long live the Emperor.

News of Maximilian's passing, aged eighty-six, quickly spread not just throughout the Chapultepec and the other palaces of the royal family, but through Mexico. Church bells rang, and people wept openly in the streets. Vigils erupted across the country, with paintings of the Emperor that looked almost like religious icons a common sight at them. Women wore black well into 1919; churches swelled with attendees praying for the late Emperor's soul, and units of soldiers proactively began riding with a horse that was saddled with two empty boots in the stirrups. Unlike the Imperial family, which had seen his physical decline even as he remained mostly mentally astute, most Mexicans knew Maximilian only as a symbol - a symbol of national strength, of national virility, and of peace and prosperity.

The grieving for Maximilian was thus not just the loss of a man, but the loss of something more than a man - the Padre de Patria, the father of the country. Maximilian had taken a country beset by civil war and a rotating cast of alternating reformist and reactionary Presidents at one another's throats and modernized it, healed it, made it a co-equal of other powers on the continent. He had ended one conflict and survived another, and Mexico had escaped the Great American War with more dignity than any co-belligerent. In the meantime, the Mexico he left behind was not the Mexico of poverty but rather an increasingly modern one, with bustling cities, factories, railroads, and increasingly aircraft to travel across its vastness. The people of Mexico shuddered to think what their country would be like had he not come along, or if it would even be intact in its current borders what with such rapacious neighbors as those they had.

The funeral would be arranged for late January, but for much of Mexico, all of 1919 was one long funeral, an uncertain hour for what awaited their country, a grim gaze towards the horizon and a future that, after an Emperor who had been on the throne for fifty-six years, so long no Mexican really remembered a Mexico without him, would be strange and unfamiliar to every citizen, in a time and world that through new technologies and ideas was already unrecognizable almost by the year. Mexico's great bridge to the 19th century was at last gone; what loomed beyond, for Mexico at least, remained now in the hands of his son and grandsons.

Maximilian, after all, had done his duty to Mexico and to his family - and with that, with his familiar smile, he had earned his long-awaited and well-deserved rest."

- Maximilian of Mexico

End of Part XI: From These Ashes, Nothing Grows
RIP

how will Mr eyepatch handle the realm (you did say in the modern day his reputation had largely been rehabilitated and is positive now other than the massive amount of adulteration he did, right?)

Out of curiosity, which countries will have the bomb in the present day?
My guess: the US, Mexico, the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, China, and Japan. Brazil is another possibility depending on how their experiment with integralism goes. I dont think A-H is gonna retain great power status after the war, and IIRC its been implied in the EU thread that the Ottomans wont survive to the present, so I don't see either of them getting it.

The biggest question mark is the present-day status of the Indian subcontinent. If the Raj ends up shaking out into a united majority-Hindu India and an alt-Pakistan akin to OTL then both of those states should end up with nukes. But its not clear whats going to happen there.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, which countries will have the bomb in the present day?
Bose’s India would likely have nuclear ambitions
TBH, I haven’t entirely decided which direction I want to go on nukes ITTL. There was a chance they’d never be invented even OTL, after all.
My guess: the US, Mexico, the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, China, and Japan. Brazil is another possibility depending on how their experiment with integralism goes. I dont think A-H is gonna retain great power status after the war, and IIRC its been implied in the EU thread that the Ottomans wont survive to the present, so I don't see either of them getting it.
But if I do do nukes. This is probably what the list would look like. Maybe Argentina and Iran, too.
The biggest question mark is the present-day status of the Indian subcontinent. If the Raj ends up shaking out into a united majority-Hindu India and an alt-Pakistan akin to OTL then both of those states should end up with nukes. But it’s not clear whats going to happen there.
Indeed. The plan is United India, without any immediate Pakistan equivalent.
Will Sanjay Gandhi end up as the leader of India or be involved in its politics in this timeline?
Saving that psychopath for BCM, since the Gandhi-Nehru dynasty won’t play much (if any) role in this alt-India