Future US Senator Harland Sanders wrote wryly to a friend in a letter posthumously published to great controversy "one does not search the forest for brigands hiding within it - when they are captured, new brigands will use the forest again, and again. Rather, one should burn the forest down - then no brigand will ever use it, and they will be much easier to find, provided they survive the flames."..."
To say nothing of the implications for future Kentucky - that's some premiere dark humor. Something to be said about the chickens coming home to roost for Forrest's militias?

Aside from that, yeah this update has some right ghoulish contents. About what one would expect for both a war of such destruction and an occupation of such enmity, but sobering to see put to text.

I do wonder what on Earth Florida looks like at this time? With the collapse of state authority wholesale they seem likely to be even more isolated than before from the wider stage of society. The Seminoles might have a decent opening for securing lasting autonomy and social strength in this period (possibly with the help of Sequoyahn oil money), even if the peninsula stays de jure within the Confederate States.

Last edited:
For the sororities listed at the University of Mississippi...
OTL:

Kappa Delta
Founded: Longwood University (current name) Farmville, VA (middle of the state) in 1897
First chapter outside the Confederacy in 1902 in Washington DC
Chapter at U of Mississippi founded 1927

Chi Omega
Founded: U of Arkansas (school founded in 1871 after the POD) at Fayetteville, Arkansas in 1895
First chapter outside the Confederacy in 1899 in London, Ontario, Canada
Chapter at U of Mississippi founded 1899.

Only two of the National Sororities were founded prior to the POD: ADPi and Phi Mu at Wesleyan College in Macon Georgia. (the third oldest was 1867 in Illinois)

So, Confederacy seem to get a century worth of trauma from this experience, uh?
I can already imagine what this new generation of Dixies would look like: untrusting, probably extreme amounts of anger issues, some kind of unhealthy coping mechanism (whether it is drugs, alcohol, some mad preacher who decided that it is a great time to form their own cult, etc), lost their emotions when they were twelve either because they had some close family member that died or they suffered heavy PTSD after joining to resistance or had to prostitute themselves for a loaf of bread or…

Also, I wonder what will happen to Freedmen?
It was mentioned in the EU that there is enough black people in Confederacy to form a political party and to be a very important issue, so I feel like it is not entirely massacre them all… perhaps, some kind of compromise that is a mix of Bantustans and Extreme Amounts of Segregation?
All the above, though I don’t think Bantustans are the exact analogy considering the very different contexts of CSA and the apartheid RSA
@KingSweden24 A difficult one but great work as always
Thank you
Jesus, gonna need a shower after reading this one. I'm clicking "like" mostly because the writing is superb, not to endorse any of the content.

There's no political will, from either party or its voters, to sustain a long-term occupation and fundamentally transform Confederate society "root and branch" as Lodge wanted to do back in late 1916/early 1916. Any party that advocates keeping American troops down in Dixie to be living target practice would get romped electorally. Hell, the fact that the occupation lasted as long as it did is a bit of a miracle given all the forces arrayed against it.
This is likely to be the only thorough update on postwar on the ground conditions in the CSA for exactly that reason. The original draft was even darker

That’s exactly it. Lodge also is where Libs have a handicap on this issue - while they’ll run on ending the occupation, just like Dems, then overseeing the debacle and people like Lodge expressing said sentiments means the electorate will doubt that Liberals will bring the boys home, at least as quickly
Going to sound a tad bizarre but do we know much about the CSA diaspora? By that sounds like their homeland (or homelands) will need all the help it can get stabilising itself much less rebuilding it. Though they might end up being seen as carpetbaggers given they avoided the horrors of their homeland aflame and did not see their all of their wealth nearly rendered worthless.

Though with the time limit I'm not really sure how the CSA will look soon, they will avoid long term occupation but same though that means either somehow the administration manages to roughly find it's feet a couple years or will face a partial collapse/turmoil as it simply can't extend it's writ over large chunks of land because it can't afford to with the US no longer footing the bill and trying to forget all it can of how victory was so bitter.

Maybe sharecropping becomes increasingly embraced the US occupation? As in a close enough system of racial hierarchy a decent chunk of the militias and government will accept to provide a truce with the US army while they focus on dealing with parts of the insurgency that won't accept it or the ex slave groups. Thus leaving a very unstable, wobbling CSA that never the less can function enough not to starve and population is not actively revolting for now.
Warlord Era China is brought up as a parallel, and it sort of fits to an extent, I’d say.

I don’t think I’ve written too much about the diaspora since the 1880s or so but obviously for some time that diaspora will be largely female and often intermarried with Yanks
To say nothing of the implications for future Kentucky - that's some premiere dark humor. Something to be said about the chickens coming home to roost for Forrest's militias?

Aside from that, yeah this update has some right ghoulish contents. About what one would expect for both a war of such destruction and an occupation of such enmity, but sobering to see put to text.

I do wonder what on Earth Florida looks like at this time? With the collapse of state authority wholesale they seem likely to be even more isolated than before from the wider stage of society. The Seminoles might have a decent opening for securing lasting autonomy and social strength in this period (possibly with the help of Sequoyahn oil money), even if the peninsula stays de jure within the Confederate States.
Pyromaniac war criminal turned Senator Colonel Sanders is one of my favorite dark jokes I’ve come up with, lol.

I hadn’t given the Seminole’s much thought but you’ll probably see a bit of that, plus lots of black colonies in the swamps and flatlands; think “Their Eyes Were Watching God” only much bleaker (and that’s already a pretty bleak book)
For the sororities listed at the University of Mississippi...
OTL:

Kappa Delta
Founded: Longwood University (current name) Farmville, VA (middle of the state) in 1897
First chapter outside the Confederacy in 1902 in Washington DC
Chapter at U of Mississippi founded 1927

Chi Omega
Founded: U of Arkansas (school founded in 1871 after the POD) at Fayetteville, Arkansas in 1895
First chapter outside the Confederacy in 1899 in London, Ontario, Canada
Chapter at U of Mississippi founded 1899.

Only two of the National Sororities were founded prior to the POD: ADPi and Phi Mu at Wesleyan College in Macon Georgia. (the third oldest was 1867 in Illinois)
I just needed two names of sororities I knew were from the South, haha. Phi Mu or ADPi could be Interchangeable here, didn’t want to make up a bunch of Greek letter orgs
Wait until you hear about the Kentucky Fryer ;)
“Colonel Sanders doing a My Lai” is one of those sentences I would only ever write on this website hahaha

Going to sound a tad bizarre but do we know much about the CSA diaspora? By that sounds like their homeland (or homelands) will need all the help it can get stabilising itself much less rebuilding it. Though they might end up being seen as carpetbaggers given they avoided the horrors of their homeland aflame and did not see their all of their wealth nearly rendered worthless.

Though with the time limit I'm not really sure how the CSA will look soon, they will avoid long term occupation but same though that means either somehow the administration manages to roughly find it's feet a couple years or will face a partial collapse/turmoil as it simply can't extend it's writ over large chunks of land because it can't afford to with the US no longer footing the bill and trying to forget all it can of how victory was so bitter.

Maybe sharecropping becomes increasingly embraced the US occupation? As in a close enough system of racial hierarchy a decent chunk of the militias and government will accept to provide a truce with the US army while they focus on dealing with parts of the insurgency that won't accept it or the ex slave groups. Thus leaving a very unstable, wobbling CSA that never the less can function enough not to starve and population is not actively revolting for now.
I can definitely see some patriotically-inclined Dixie expatriates supplying funds and resources to try and support the rebuilding of the state, though I can also see them in some cases making the situation worse by giving resources to hillboy militias or Forrest's malcontents rather than civic aid programs or the government in Charlotte. Given how much of the general public in the CSA - the ones who would actually have seen how hopeless the war was - consider Patton and his ilk defeatist traitors, wealthy donors who sat out the war seem even more inclined to back the revanchists. Though the state of ruin in their old home country seems likely to drive at least a proportion to try and make things less violent, methinks.

In terms of migration I'm not honestly sure one would see too much return from abroad to make things better, and indeed emigration seems like it would spike in this period given the rampant famine and social collapse. Hell, considering that the Belgians were getting along handsomely with Confederate slaver mercenaries in the Congo, I can see they and the French (really any colonial power in the era with vested interest in populating their possessions with settlers, though the Bloc Sud sympathizers seem most inclined to it) actively trying to invite Confederates to settle in African and Asian colonies.

Migration to the Bloc Sud countries also seems like it would spike here, or at least to Mexico and Brazil - neither was devastated by the war to the extent of either Chile or the CSA, Mexico has a pretty good economy, and for the ideologically fanatic Brazil still allows slavery. With the case of the latter, a parahistorical occurrence of the Confederados could well be in the cards.
Wait until you hear about the Kentucky Fryer ;)
Pyromaniac war criminal turned Senator Colonel Sanders is one of my favorite dark jokes I’ve come up with, lolol.
Good heavens, I'd forgotten about one. I was just about to make a joke about frying some Kentuckians but thought it would be gauche 😅

Last edited:
I know that the likelihood of MLK Jr existing in this reality in a recognizable form would be considered a bit ASBish the thought of him as the spiritual successor to John Brown leading the most important African-American political entity (whichever form that is going to be) like some kinda Che Guevara/Malcolm X if forever mad sorta figure. The dichotomy of his nonviolence of OTL compared to the sadly forced-into-militancy Civil Rights groups would be a welcome 'Rule of Cool' inclusion to the story (in my inane opinion).

Last edited:
This is likely to be the only thorough update on postwar on the ground conditions in the CSA for exactly that reason. The original draft was even darker
Jesus Christ

Anyway, on the subject of Confederate Freemen. There is no centralized figure representing the black paras, any formal compromise with them is unlikely and will have to be crushed by force.

Congrats to whoever guessed that a big part of the 1920 election is both parties running on pulling out of Dixie
Something of an equivalent of the 1876 election, then?
Senator Harland Sanders
“Colonel Sanders doing a My Lai” is one of those sentences I would only ever write on this website hahaha
Ah, but where shall Senator Kentucky Fried My Lai be a senator from, and which party? A quick hop to Wikipedia implies possibly Indiana as an option, or Utah because why not, but I'm not sure which party... both states lean Democratic IIRC, but I'm not seeing anything on the Wiki about his politics, so who knows.

If he weren't described as a senator already I'd even half-jokingly suggest sending him to Mississauga to engage in Orange Crush Canada's political scene.

Something of an equivalent of the 1876 election, then?

Ah, but where shall Senator Kentucky Fried My Lai be a senator from, and which party? A quick hop to Wikipedia implies possibly Indiana as an option, or Utah because why not, but I'm not sure which party... both states lean Democratic IIRC, but I'm not seeing anything on the Wiki about his politics, so who knows.

If he weren't described as a senator already I'd even half-jokingly suggest sending him to Mississauga to engage in Orange Crush Canada's political scene.
Unfortunately, we know that Ontario is still part of Canada in 2023. OTOH, are the Senators an NHL franchise iTTL? He could even be TTLs equivalent of Ron Hextall!

[2] Congrats to whoever guessed that a big part of the 1920 election is both parties running on pulling out of Dixie
No one's making the "How are we to enforce the terms of the Peace Treaty, in particular abolition, without making sure to keep our boots on their necks?"-argument?

No one's making the "How are we to enforce the terms of the Peace Treaty, in particular abolition, without making sure to keep our boots on their necks?"-argument?
The CSA having Slavery is *much* more difficult if the entire US armaments from the war end up in Negro hands. (and keep supplying them Ammunition)

There's an election due in November of 1917 in Dixie. If you thought 1915's election of Vardaman and friends was corrupt and illegitimate just wait til you see what happens in 1917!

I think Dixie will at least go through the pretense of an election rather than outright abolish it. Of course, any results outside of areas of outright Bourbon control (so basically NC and parts of VA and SC) will be ignored, which explains how the Bourbons keep power until 1933 - easy to keep power when you ignore the votes of anyone who disagrees.

There's an election due in November of 1917 in Dixie. If you thought 1915's election of Vardaman and friends was corrupt and illegitimate just wait til you see what happens in 1917!

I think Dixie will at least go through the pretense of an election rather than outright abolish it. Of course, any results outside of areas of outright Bourbon control (so basically NC and parts of VA and SC) will be ignored, which explains how the Bourbons keep power until 1933 - easy to keep power when you ignore the votes of anyone who disagrees.
There's probably some states that quite literally can't hold a democratic election right now, so they'll probably just re-appoint whoever's up if the government likes them. Like seriously, how would one hold a congressional election in, say, Tennessee right now?

There's probably some states that quite literally can't hold a democratic election right now, so they'll probably just re-appoint whoever's up if the government likes them. Like seriously, how would one hold a congressional election in, say, Tennessee right now?

I suspect that election is going to see the type of violence which will even make Confederates blush - the paramilitary movements of Forrest Sr. are going to have nothing on this. You're probably going to see US forces called in to oversee the elections and help maintain order, which is going to do very little for perceptions of the election's legitimacy and the government it spawns.

Kind of amazing what difference a few years can make. In 1912 the Confederacy was a mostly functioning democracy, albeit on wherein the oligarchy holds a huge amount of power, and a stable(ish) society which would have been recognizable to most western viewers. And then the war came and, four years later, not only has civil government largely failed but every division in society which had been happily papered over, has come to the surface and gone rancid.

Forget Tennessee, try Kentucky! At this point, the Confederacy literally has two choices. Only count the votes in the Far Eastern part of the state (the area in *everyones* definition of Appalachia) or end up with figuring out what to do when Negro electors show up with the US government taking control of the "State" elections in Kentucky. And I'm not sure the choices are going to be much better for the Confederacy through at least the arrival of President Long.

Note, I expect commercial air traffic to grow faster in the Confederacy than you might otherwise expect since then the police only have to cover the airports in question rather than the entire area along the tracks. I do truly wonder how many *decades* it will take travelling by railroad from Richmond to New Orleans/Little Rock will be as safe/comfortable as it was in 1912.

I'm still trying to come up with an OTL war post 1800 that can be compared to this in the level of destruction, a mixture of Paraguay in the War of the Triple Alliance, the OE post-WWI, Germany in WWII and a few others.
It is still possible that a war between the Ottoman Empire and Italy (with friends on both sides(?)) at the beginning of the age of Atomic Warfare could see the OE getting as curbstomped as the Confederacy, but that would take work.

Also Texas lol