Pershing
"...Wittenmyer's crossing with two landship brigades and six divisions on October 27th from Augusta, directly into the teeth of Confederate defenses centered upon Aiken and the highlands around Edgefield, directly to the northeast of his crossing point. Wittenmyer's postwar memoirs described "possibly the most hellish fighting since we were in the belly of the beast at Nashville; trees exploded around men as they surged forward, and it seems like every artillery piece left in the Confederacy had been evacuated into South Carolina." Nonetheless, the material advantages of the United States were now overwhelming; on the 29th, an aerial assault launched from Savannah terrorized Aiken through firebombing and phosphate gas detonated above hardened trenches. The hundred kilometers towards Columbia were now, for the most part, open as the state's elite but thinned-out Palmetto Guard attempted to prevent the fall of the state capitol and, another hundred kilometers north of it, the last bastion of Dixie's government in Charlotte.

Pershing was fairly persuaded, however, that it was not in fact Charlotte that was the most necessary target, but rather the annihilation of Charleston. In practical terms, this had in some ways already been achieved; limited naval raids had been essentially uninterrupted against the city since the summer of 1915, with long-range bombardments destroying much of its critical infrastructure, but the city nonetheless maintained its population and the harbor fortress of Fort Sumter remained in Confederate hands, with hardened shore batteries having prevented an incursion into the city proper via its large natural harbor, and the low-lying, marshy islands surrounding it a poor place for an amphibious landing, especially in the malarial summer and autumn.

The choice to follow Wittenmyer's lead and attack across the Lowcountry on October 28th was driven not so much by a strategic calculation, however, so much as an ideological one. It was not to bottle up Charleston's use as a harbor that motivated Pershing's attack with the weight of his forces but rather the desire for a "Carolina campaign" even harsher than the March to the Sea. Pershing, a dedicated student of history, viewed "the cancer of Palmetto-ism" as the reason for not only the current war, as instigated by the Charleston Mercury, Benjamin Tillman's intransigence and Ed Smith's decision to authorize the preemptive assault on Washington, but "the beating heart of violence, hatred and bloodshed on this continent for nigh a century." Pershing took the notion - a notion shared amongst many of his fellow officers and many politicians in Philadelphia, for that matter - that South Carolina was uniquely responsible for the War of Secession beginning in 1861 and looked further back to the Nullification Crisis as much of the origin of virulent politics in what would become the Confederacy. If the intellectual project of an aggressive, belligerent Confederacy as competing regional power was to be ended and a supine, obedient client state that would never again subject the Republic to the outrages of 1862-63 and 1913-14 was to replace it, then the core of said project needed to be ripped up, root and stem.

The Carolina Campaign that drove across the Lowcountry in the first days of November is certainly not Pershing's finest work; it was probably launched too soon after the March to the Sea, too many men were thrown at makeshift Confederate defenses to rapidly overwhelm the enemy, and valuable landships and planes were lost as Charleston was placed fully in the United States' crosshairs. But despite the staggering bloodshed - numbering as many as fifteen thousand killed between both sides on November 3rd, the bloodiest day of the push - the Army rapidly reached Charleston just as Wittenmyer blasted his way through Columbia on the same day, and both of South Carolina's major cities were razed to the ground, with homes and shops burned alongside depots and armories, while suspected partisans were rounded up and thrown in prison camps, if they were lucky.

As Charleston glow deep into the night of November 4th, rockets and shells from a major fleet collected just offshore hammered the fortresses as mobile artillery and aerial bombs rained down on them from land; Pershing estimated that the "drumfire" was probably the largest expending of artillery in the history of war. Just before dawn on the 5th, Marines came ashore at Fort Sumter to find nearly all the defenders dead and the thick defensive walls, heavily damaged but sturdy throughout the war, reduced to rubble. As the sun broke over the Atlantic, Pershing was handed field binoculars by aide-de-camp Omar Bradley and looked out across Charleston Harbor from his vantage point, and smiled at what he saw: for the first time since 1861, Old Glory flew over the ruins of Fort Sumter..."

- Pershing

The Yankees are bleeding way more than they need to and are incredibly overstretched. All we need is to hold out for a little bit longer and their army will finally crack, and then they can be pushed back!

(Joking, this is probably the last time is sort of shitpost is getting made in here)

Pershing was like the ultimate mentor to all the WW2 generals.

Which actually makes me wonder what George C Marshall is up too now...
A Confederate, no doubt, but i don't remember if he's been killed off yet.
My favorite person to wonder about ITTL is Babe Ruth. He probably didn't make it out of Baltimore in 1913 if we're being honest but hopefully he survived.

My favorite person to wonder about ITTL is Babe Ruth. He probably didn't make it out of Baltimore in 1913 if we're being honest but hopefully he survived.
looking him up, he'd be 18 at the start of the GAW. .....
Be funny if he was a leader of Marylander partisans fighting the confederates during the occupation..

Pershing was handed field binoculars by aide-de-camp Omar Bradley and looked out across Charleston Harbor from his vantage point, and smiled at what he saw: for the first time since 1861, Old Glory flew over the ruins of Fort Sumter..."
God damn does it feel good to be an American. It took 50+ years, but Dixie finally learns its lesson and place in the world.

What the hell is the largest city still under Confederate control in the east at this point?

New Orleans, of course, in the west… but my guess is that’s the only one of their largest 5-6 that they currently hold.

I was reading a thread on the Acre Republic ( @Sharknator3000 's Acre - The Nation of Amazonas ), based on the OTL Republic of Acre.

I don't remember if the topic was broached in this TL, so I wonder what came of it, especially in the context of a continued Brazilian Empire, and the pre GAW Brazilian foreign policy, and find it too interesting not to mention it.
So, while we are speaking of the Halifax "pseudo peace" protocol, what would come of it. I imagine Brazil would have seized it in a less gentle manner than IOTL, but that with the post Halifax order, Bolivia may "recover" it (something like "take it if you can") with Brazilians ostensibly withdrawing from the region, but leaving behind weapons and ammunitions that curiously find their way into the hands of local "revolutionaries" of a TTL Republic of Acre (let's say the OTL republic never happened because TTL Brazilians annexed the region outright without bothering with this fiction).

How do you find the idea ?

I was reading a thread on the Acre Republic ( @Sharknator3000 's Acre - The Nation of Amazonas ), based on the OTL Republic of Acre.

I don't remember if the topic was broached in this TL, so I wonder what came of it, especially in the context of a continued Brazilian Empire, and the pre GAW Brazilian foreign policy, and find it too interesting not to mention it.
So, while we are speaking of the Halifax "pseudo peace" protocol, what would come of it. I imagine Brazil would have seized it in a less gentle manner than IOTL, but that with the post Halifax order, Bolivia may "recover" it (something like "take it if you can") with Brazilians ostensibly withdrawing from the region, but leaving behind weapons and ammunitions that curiously find their way into the hands of local "revolutionaries" of a TTL Republic of Acre (let's say the OTL republic never happened because TTL Brazilians annexed the region outright without bothering with this fiction).

I mean Brazil OTL got the territory since 1903 and here a stronger Brazil might've gotten it earlier, combine this with Bolivia always having difficulty exercising control over the territory beyond the mountains and the fact even before it was Brazilian the territory was already swarmed with Brazilian settlers, I don't think Bolivia would be too thrilled to get back a territory they don't want and could win them the ill will of their much larger neighbor.

I mean Brazil OTL got the territory since 1903 and here a stronger Brazil might've gotten it earlier, combine this with Bolivia always having difficulty exercising control over the territory beyond the mountains and the fact even before it was Brazilian the territory was already swarmed with Brazilian settlers, I don't think Bolivia would be too thrilled to get back a territory they don't want and could win them the ill will of their much larger neighbor.
In a sense, you could say that about Antofagasta as well.
In Antofagasta's case, they had a distinctly revanchist policy; IOTL, we can see in their war with Paraguay over the Gran Chaco a later manifestation of that revanchism. ITTL, they got Antofagasta back in the aftermath of Chile's surrender, and if I get it right from my reading of the updates on it, they are proving quite inept at reintegrating the region into their fold.
Now, Acre is less valuable per se, it's not going to give an access to the sea the Bolivians still crave up for to this day IOTL, but compouding the humiliation of losing Antofagasta in the Pacific War to Chile with another TTL humiliation if Brazil had annexed Acre in a less diplomatic solution than OTL, with a fait accompli occupation, I don't see why they would not want it back, even if for no other reason than nationalistic pride, no matter how difficult it will actually be to 're'impose Bolivian sovereignty in the region (you can't exclude delusional thinking of an easy promenade by the Bolivian government).

That said, I don't believe there had been anything written in specific regarding the war of Brazil with Peru and Bolivia. Understandably, they only shared remote and ill defined rainforest borders in the Amazon basin, but even unsaid, I don't see how they would not be at war, even if skirmishing in the rainforest, at least officially. But I think that still leaves room for a brief recap of the war in the rainforest as some intro for some post GAW flashpoint conflict in Acre between a revanchist, mutilated victory obsessed Brazil and Bolivia over a corner of the Amazon the Americans would probably not really bother about beyond initially having the Brazilians "withdrawing" at Halifax.

Yeah, such a canal holds a bit too much geostrategic and economic importance to not be nationalized eventually.

Will be interesting to see when Nicaragua's Nasser (since the situation there seems more similar to the Egyptian one than the Panamanian one) shows up and how Philadelphia reacts to him/her.
Yes and no. Nicaragua like OTL Panama will never have the military ability to challenge the US. It isn't unreasonable to imagine a fairly robust Egypt iTTL as well.

A thought. The United States took Key West and it is not out of the question for it to keep it post war. (Though like the Baja California base, it will *rapidly* outgrow the water there) Would the US keep Fort Sumter post-war?

In Antofagasta's case, they had a distinctly revanchist policy; IOTL, we can see in their war with Paraguay over the Gran Chaco a later manifestation of that revanchism. ITTL, they got Antofagasta back in the aftermath of Chile's surrender, and if I get it right from my reading of the updates on it, they are proving quite inept at reintegrating the region into their fold.
Now, Acre is less valuable per se, it's not going to give an access to the sea the Bolivians still crave up for to this day IOTL, but compouding the humiliation of losing Antofagasta in the Pacific War to Chile with another TTL humiliation if Brazil had annexed Acre in a less diplomatic solution than OTL, with a fait accompli occupation, I don't see why they would not want it back, even if for no other reason than nationalistic pride, no matter how difficult it will actually be to 're'impose Bolivian sovereignty in the region (you can't exclude delusional thinking of an easy promenade by the Bolivian government).

That said, I don't believe there had been anything written in specific regarding the war of Brazil with Peru and Bolivia. Understandably, they only shared remote and ill defined rainforest borders in the Amazon basin, but even unsaid, I don't see how they would not be at war, even if skirmishing in the rainforest, at least officially. But I think that still leaves room for a brief recap of the war in the rainforest as some intro for some post GAW flashpoint conflict in Acre between a revanchist, mutilated victory obsessed Brazil and Bolivia over a corner of the Amazon the Americans would probably not really bother about beyond initially having the Brazilians "withdrawing" at Halifax.
I was honestly hoping for something like a raid by a small yet elite force by Colonel Rondon to happen in that front. Around this time Rondon took Ted Roosevelt on an expedition during which the Yankee almost died. I can see possible similarities betwrn this alt expedition and the OTL Fiume affair of d'Annunzio.

Yes and no. Nicaragua like OTL Panama will never have the military ability to challenge the US. It isn't unreasonable to imagine a fairly robust Egypt iTTL as well.
But the canal is privately owned by a consortium (like the Suez was IOTL), so the main question of feasibility for that is how many US troops are actually *in* Nicaragua, which I'm assuming is not zero, especially right now in the immediate aftermath of the GAW, but which will fluctuate a lot more than OTL Panama since the US doesn't have a canal zone to defend (the main question here will be US military bases in the country). And again, the canal is way too important to remain in private hands forever. Either it eventually ends up in US and/or German hands, making it a diplomatic issue, or Nicaragua nationalizes it (and then either gets to keep it or the US takes it right back, although not returning it to the consortium and maybe reimbursing the Germans for their trouble). What I mean by "more similar to the Egyptian one" is in terms of legal arrangements; geopolitically, Panama bears more similarity, although it's important to consider even if Nicaragua can't take the US on one-to-one, it can very much become an ulcer if the US pushes too hard, which Panama could've easily been IOTL (see: Bi-Centennial Man, or any other TL where Huele A Quemado happens).

Damn.
Charleston and Fort Sumter simply.....ceased to exist.
Hey there’s still… *checks* notes Greenville, I guess?
The Yankees are bleeding way more than they need to and are incredibly overstretched. All we need is to hold out for a little bit longer and their army will finally crack, and then they can be pushed back!

(Joking, this is probably the last time is sort of shitpost is getting made in here)
Pour one out for the last “the Confederates gave them where they want them” shitpost of the GAW!

Pershing was like the ultimate mentor to all the WW2 generals.

Which actually makes me wonder what George C Marshall is up too now...
A Confederate, no doubt, but i don't remember if he's been killed off yet.
Pershing was a meh tactician (and as a strategist he followed the lead of French commanders in the field), but he was a very talented administrator and one can see how that rubbed off on the Ike/Bradley generation as they prepared for the logistic nightmare of the European War and then pulling it off (Ike’s interstate highway system is also basically just a crude, overbuilt copy of the Pershing Map, too)
He could be like that guy from Inglorious Basterds who uses a bat to kill the Nazis. Gives a new meaning to "Sultan of Swat" x'D
OMG 😂
God damn does it feel good to be an American. It took 50+ years, but Dixie finally learns its lesson and place in the world.
Glory, glory, hallejulah!
What the hell is the largest city still under Confederate control in the east at this point?

New Orleans, of course, in the west… but my guess is that’s the only one of their largest 5-6 that they currently hold.
Charlotte

@Kurd Gossemer has your answer
At this point who is leading the Confederacy in the unoccupied areas lacking contact with the federal government in Charlotte?
Local warlo- errr, I mean state governors and theater level military officers

There were definitely skirmishes, just nothing definitive and very much a sideshow
A thought. The United States took Key West and it is not out of the question for it to keep it post war. (Though like the Baja California base, it will *rapidly* outgrow the water there) Would the US keep Fort Sumter post-war?
Key West, yes - Fort Sumter, no, that’s purely just for “fuck you” symbolic purposes
But the canal is privately owned by a consortium (like the Suez was IOTL), so the main question of feasibility for that is how many US troops are actually *in* Nicaragua, which I'm assuming is not zero, especially right now in the immediate aftermath of the GAW, but which will fluctuate a lot more than OTL Panama since the US doesn't have a canal zone to defend (the main question here will be US military bases in the country). And again, the canal is way too important to remain in private hands forever. Either it eventually ends up in US and/or German hands, making it a diplomatic issue, or Nicaragua nationalizes it (and then either gets to keep it or the US takes it right back, although not returning it to the consortium and maybe reimbursing the Germans for their trouble). What I mean by "more similar to the Egyptian one" is in terms of legal arrangements; geopolitically, Panama bears more similarity, although it's important to consider even if Nicaragua can't take the US on one-to-one, it can very much become an ulcer if the US pushes too hard, which Panama could've easily been IOTL (see: Bi-Centennial Man, or any other TL where Huele A Quemado happens).
I haven’t entirely settled on how this issue is eventually forced (and I don’t want to plagiarize myself with another Huele a Quemado scenario haha) but it’s eventually going to become a major thorn in US-Nicaraguan relations, yes