Rumsfeldia: Fear and Loathing in the Decade of Tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I miss a part, or did you skip ahead a bit, to after the beginning of the invasion?

Also, what the hell is going on in California? Has it seceded or not? Because sometimes it seems like it has, and sometimes you talk about it as if Rumsfeld is still in power there.

American forces have basically overrun the embassy district, so I assume that they have Havanna... Or at least, they've entered and control access to the city. I assume that pacification is still ongoing.

[/FONT][/SIZE]

The way I see it, I think Castro realized that the even with the US having all its problems, they would not be able to contest them in a conventional fight for long, but instead made plans to turn it into an insurgency and outlast the US, waiting for it to implode from its own troubles. Given that Nicholas Cage had to fight for an entire week to get through US held territory, I am also assuming that the Cubans still control the countryside.

I also don't see how the US would be able to pacify the Cubans, especially when they're losing control of themselves.

A military wing of the Liberty Battalions executing American wounded as a cost-saving measure and preventing use of enemy equipment (on the grounds that American tech is superior, no doubt). I can just hear a Liberty Legionnaire dressed up like an Imperial Guard Commissar, with a dollar sign on his cap:
"If you will not serve the free market in combat, then you will serve on the firing line!"

How long is it gonna take before John Q. Public realizes this is a complete disaster?

Well, the resistance is trying to pipe in BBC, and there's probably gonna be a Pentagon Papers-esque leak at some point. Ironically, the USSR might set up a Radio Free America. And given what the Liberty Legions are up to, odds are that someone back home is going to wonder why their fiancee isn't writing letters home anymore.

Did I miss a part, or did you skip ahead a bit, to after the beginning of the invasion?

Also, what the hell is going on in California? Has it seceded or not? Because sometimes it seems like it has, and sometimes you talk about it as if Rumsfeld is still in power there.

The implication I get is that there is an awkward stand-off between the civilian Californian government and the US military in the state. I think Rumsfeld is hoping that if he just ignores the Hawaiians and Californians, while getting the military bases to throw their weight around, he will make the whole movement collapse.

Given that Cuba is turning into a disaster, that probably isn't going to work for much longer.

teg

Sounds like a religious version of Andrew Ryan. :p

Nah, America at the moment is like a poor attempt to mesh together Rapture's no rules on business with Columbia's ideology and social structure. Andrew Ryan would probably go join Cheney or the exiles because he doesn't like the hyper-nationalism or theocratic tendies. Well either that or just purchase a city and then kick out all the 'parasites' for trespassing on private property.

However, unlike these two examples America is still part of the wider world. Rumsfeld is keeping the economy going by getting cheap valuable resources from South Africa and selling them to either 'friends' or the desperate at prices dictated by them. However, as we've seen in an earlier post the corporations doing the deals have discovered that nobody wants to purchase from the US.

If the Rumsfeldia ideology is a body, Cuba is the self-inflicted gunshot, the dissidents a cronic migraine, the theocrats lung cancer, but the heart attack that kills it will be a sudden shock to the economy as some unknown accountant does their job and discovers how bad the financial situation is and tells his boss.

I really hope we dont have to wait to long for the conclusion to the madness. If it gets out that Liberty Battalions are executing wounded Marines...

I really hope we dont have to wait to long for the conclusion to the madness. If it gets out that Liberty Battalions are executing wounded Marines...

We may return to a song briefly sung by American patriots in the 1790's, originally inspired by a comment from Ben Franklin.
"Ah, ca ira, ca ira..."

And given what the Liberty Legions are up to, odds are that someone back home is going to wonder why their fiancee isn't writing letters home anymore.

That won't be a problem. They'll get the bodies back in nice, clean bags, along with letters expressing condolences on their loved ones' heroic death in combat.

On the other hand, the people who process the casualties will notice that a lot of them have identical head wounds, and LL Cool J isn't going to be the only witness. And once the soldiers learn that the reward for being wounded is a bullet from their own side...

Spengler

Banned
I do wonder where that policy originated from as I doubt even Rumsfeld is so insane/stupid as to order the execution of wounded American soldiers.
I suspect that currently the kind of stuff that army and marines have to sign with the PMC has a little bit about their bodies being available for use, and that plenty of bodies showing up in body bags will be missing livers, and kidneys.

I do wonder where that policy originated from as I doubt even Rumsfeld is so insane/stupid as to order the execution of wounded American soldiers.

From the same people that decided it would be cheaper to pay out the occasional charred corpse than it would be to fix a small flaw in the gas tanks of Ford Pintos.

Here's the great thing about totalitarianism: unlike your run of the mill authoritarianism, it actually rewards initiative and innovation, as long as it is in a certain direction: moving the system forwards towards that promised Utopia.

I doubt Hitler ever considered medical experimentation with jews, but once someone else came with the idea, I am sure he liked it very much. It was something that wasn't necessarily predicted by his system, but it made sense within it.

It is horrifying that G.I.s are now being dealt with in the same manner as wounded horses at the racetrack! If Rumsfeld ever read the Geneva Conventions (not that he did in OTL anyway), he may have noticed a clause about caring for the enemy wounded, let alone your own wounded:mad:.

ThePest179

Banned
It is horrifying that G.I.s are now being dealt with in the same manner as wounded horses at the racetrack! If Rumsfeld ever read the Geneva Conventions (not that he did in OTL anyway), he may have noticed a clause about caring for the enemy wounded, let alone your own wounded:mad:.

Speaking of which, how much do you wanna bet that the US soldiers aren't allowed to take prisoners, because it would cost too much to house and feed them? :eek:

Speaking of which, how much do you wanna bet that the US soldiers aren't allowed to take prisoners, because it would cost too much to house and feed them? :eek:

Well, that's going to go over well, internationally. Or with the American people.

I notice that Drew showcased two clear cases of fragging. I wonder how much of the army is on the edge of clear mutiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.