Rainbow of Blood

So i got tired of Amazon and just ordered it directly from Potomac Books and my copy arrived today. I didn't even think it was out until August

So i got tired of Amazon and just ordered it directly from Potomac Books and my copy arrived today. I didn't even think it was out until August

Believe it or not, I received mine from Amazon yesterday; I was also surprised since I had heard an early August date from them as well.

Well
I finished it one sitting. Part three is setting up to be a real donnybrook.

Minor spoiler: The entire book takes place over about a month during October and November of 1863. It will be interesting to see how everything can be all wrapped up in Volume 3!

I just went back and re-read my predictions made after reading Britannia's Fist (the first volume):

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=2143793&postcount=82

Many of these predictions were made by using the "starred" (alternate universe-only) endnotes, several of which served as "spoilers" for the last two volumes. (I plan to do the same with the endnotes for this volume when I get a chance.)

Some of the events from the first volume endnotes have now occurred (e.g. the Union recapturing Chicago from the Copperheads, Grant still taking over the Army of the Cumberland in Chattanooga, French forces helping to capture New Orleans, the Battle of Washington), while others are now hinted in the actual narrative (Russians to invade Asia from its southern border, Bazaine taking political control of New Orleans for the French). Among those having not occurred yet is the apparent death of Robert E. Lee before war's end (a Confederate ship is eventually named after him).

Last edited:
Many of these predictions were made by using the "starred" (alternate universe-only) endnotes, several of which served as "spoilers" for the last two volumes. (I plan to do the same with the endnotes for this volume when I get a chance.)

I've now done this, but want to wait until the book has been released more widely to post it :)

Just finished reading it and it's great. Really sad to see how unappreciated this series is compared to some of the slop that gets eaten up here. :confused:

A Rainbow of Blood easily exceeds the high standards of Britannia's Fist. The strategy of the opposing sides is plausible and the tactics employed to carry them out vividly portrayed. The incompetence of Banks, Lee's willingness to gamble, and the personal hallmarks of many more Generals are on display, as is the fighting spirit of the average soldier. Dead Brits and Copperheads abound, but the French are riding high in Louisiana. Sherman and Chamberlain play bit parts in this novel, but are of course awesome. Hooker redeems himself. The Union has staved off defeat, but it is still in deadly peril, I can't wait for the next volume.

Lots of what I predicted happened too, though the magnitude of the victories by both sides and their extreme lethality (even by Civil War standards) was surprising.

(Russians to invade Asia from its southern border, Bazaine taking political control of New Orleans for the French). Among those having not occurred yet is the apparent death of Robert E. Lee before war's end (a Confederate ship is eventually named after him).
I thought the Russians were planning to invade the Balkans come spring?

Does Lee have to die before they name a ship after him? In a brand new nation there aren't exactly too many dead epic heroes to name ships after.

Last edited:
Or the battle of Havana?:D

I gotta think that footnote is misleading, with that "battle" being analogous to the Battle of the River Plate in WWII, i.e. ship chased into neutral port and sunk. There's simply been no foreshadowing of Spanish involvement and there seems to be no reason for them to get involved. Everything points to escalation in eastern Europe, with a Russian invasion of the Turkish Balkans leading to at least Austrian and Prussian intervention.

EDIT: Also, at this rate I can't see how this will be wrapped up in another volume. The first two books covered July 12th to November 9th 1863 and the vast majority of the books were about the events of September and October. There's just too much left to take care of, even with the downtime of winter factored in. The siege of Portland, the opening moves of Hooker's invasion of Canada, Longstreet's attack on the Army of the Cumberland, the Russian invasion of the Balkans, Austrian and Prussian intervention, an attack on Port Hudson by the French, etc. All these things are on the table and seem likely to happen by the beginning of May. There's sure to be lots of heavy fighting in the East, West and Canada following that, not to mention what's going on in Europe. Unless the last book is seven hundred pages I just don't see it.

Last edited:
I gotta think that footnote is misleading, with that "battle" being analogous to the Battle of the River Plate in WWII, i.e. ship chased into neutral port and sunk. There's simply been no foreshadowing of Spanish involvement and there seems to be no reason for them to get involved.

Good point.

Everything points to escalation in eastern Europe, with a Russian invasion of the Turkish Balkans leading to at least Austrian and Prussian intervention.

Very possible.

Also, at this rate I can't see how this will be wrapped up in another volume. The first two books covered July 12th to November 9th 1863 and the vast majority of the books were about the events of September and October. There's just too much left to take care of, even with the downtime of winter factored in. The siege of Portland, the opening moves of Hooker's invasion of Canada, Longstreet's attack on the Army of the Cumberland, the Russian invasion of the Balkans, Austrian and Prussian intervention, an attack on Port Hudson by the French, etc. All these things are on the table and seem likely to happen by the beginning of May. There's sure to be lots of heavy fighting in the East, West and Canada following that, not to mention what's going on in Europe. Unless the last book is seven hundred pages I just don't see it.

I wonder if the end of the third book is the Prussian intervention, and that marks the start of the Great War/World War? After all, the Second Sino-Japanese War started in 1937, two years before the "official" start of World War II. Of course that might mean another trilogy is needed...

Here's my previously-promised analysis of the starred endnotes!

Predictions for Volume 3 and the future history after it, mostly using the "starred" (alternate-history) endnotes from Volumes 1 and 2. Still to occur from Volume 1 is the death of Robert E. Lee before the war's end, since a Confederate ship was named after him before the war's end. (I love Chapter 8, note 6 from this volume, which included the comment that "Lee never wrote his memoirs". If Tsouras didn't want to completely give it way, he might have said "Lee didn't live to write his memoirs.") Of course Timmy811 may be right, and they may decide to name the ship after a living person…

Concerning Volume 2 endnotes:

Chapter One, Note 19: Woodrow Wilson as the author of a history book is consistent with the Wilson of OTL ("our timeline"), so perhaps he still becomes president.

Chapter One, Note 27: Although Volume 1 commented that the Civil War became a world war in this timeline, the use of the term "World War I" is the first to tell us that there would be multiple world wars. (Also see Chapter Nine, Note 8.) This note also presages Russia's expected entry into the war in Volume 3.

Chapter Two, Note 9: The term "Reconstruction" implies the U.S. occupation of the South after the war, as in OTL. (We already know from Volume 1 notes that the U.S. survives and the Confederacy likely does not.)

Chapter Six, Note 10: The title "Wisconsin in the Civil War and the Great War" ihas multiple interpretation. It could be saying that implies that the Great War (World War I) is considered by history to have started at some point beyond Fort Sumter (either in September 1863 with the British and French entering the conflict, or with the expected future invasion of the Turkish Balkans by Russia). Alternatively, it could mean that WWI will last beyond the defeat of the Confederates (which is the likely endpoint of Volume 3). I am surprised that the term "Great War" was still being used in 1922, since we know that WWII started well before that date (See Chapter Nine, Note 8.)

Chapter Seven, Note 16: We know from endnotes in both volumes that Lincoln lives till at least 1868, since Sharpe's conversations with him last that long. However, I noted in the endnotes for the previous volume that since Lincoln's second term doesn't end until March 4, 1869, there is an implication that Lincoln may die several months before that date. We know from this endnote that John Wilkes Booth is eventually put on trial (presumably for treason); however, he was not arrested after Big Jim Smoke's attempted assassination. So, does this mean he was arrested for being part of that October 1863 plot at some later point, or does Booth himself succeed in 1868? (The book shows a year of “173”, probably a typo for 1873.)

Chapter Eight, Note 6: See my comments in the opening paragraph.

Chapter Eight, Note 17: Unlike Woodrow Wilson, a military history book written by Dwight D. Eisenhower is inconsistent with the type of books Ike wrote in OTL. I would think it likely that Eisenhower never became president in a timeline so distorted politically and militarily by the divergence.

Chapter Nine, Note 8: Here is the motherlode of postwar information. Even though in OTL Zeppelin did observe the use of balloons during Civil War and became a protege of Lowe after the war, the increased use of balloons led to a far greater collaboration here. The use of lighter-than-air aerial bombing in the Battle of Washington leads to "Zeppelins" being used to provide something like the Battle of Britian in 1890. So not only are there at least two world wars, but WWII occurred about 50 years early, with the U.S. apparently on the side of the Germans. (By the way, I’ve noticed many of the alternate-history articles are dated around 1890 – coincidence?)

Chapter Nine, Note 9: An German-language book published in St. Louis in 1889!!! (Hmm...one of those articles dates near WWII...) The translation (something like "The German deed for America: The Wall and the Germans in the Great War") doesn't provide anything we don't already know from the text proper.

Chapter Nine, Note 13: Arthur Freemantle...hmm...so apparently in OTL he was an unofficial British observer who left America for Britain mid-July 1863 (before the divergence point) and eventually wrote a pro-South book on his experiences. I would assume something similar happened here.

Chapter Ten, Note 7: There will be a "Second Battle of New Orleans". In our OTL there was only one Battle of New Orleans, and that was at the end of the War of 1812. Since the October 1863 conflict was in Vermillionville (and the Union evacuated New Orleans after that), I assume that the First Battle of New Orleans is either referring to that battle (which is likely), or two battles in New Orleans are yet to come.

Chapter Eleven, Notes 9 and 21: Okay, Denison publishes an English-language book in Montreal in 1868. At somepoint, however, he "immirgrated to England rather than live in the newly acquired territories of the United States". In Volume 1, there was an endnote from a 1914 paper published about Wolseley’s 1863 lectures published in Toronto by “The Defence Staff” (which today appears to be roughly the Canadian equivalent of the future U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff), making me erroneously think that Canada stayed out of U.S. hands, but also implying that at some point before 1914 it becomes independent and/or realigned with Britain. As for Quebec, where Montreal is, maybe Quebec declared its independence after the war, with U.S. encouragement?

Chapter Eleven, Note 22: The tense of Seward's title "Lincoln as I Knew Him", published in 1872, implies that Lincoln is dead by this time.

Chapter Twelve, Note 23: Finally, we find out that there will be Battle of Havana in 1864, and that Prince Arthur will once again be captured by Union troops. Could Spain eventually enter the war? I know that in OTL Isabella II was in the early 1860’s still trying to get reparations for the confiscation of the slave ship Amistad and the slaves it was carrying, but Spain had been convinced into neutrality by the Union's arguments that it was politicians from the South who were behind a U.S. movement to annex Cuba. (Alternatively, Timmy811 made a plausible explanation for why there would be a Battle of Havana without Spain entering the war.)

Chapter Ten, Note 7: There will be a "Second Battle of New Orleans". In our OTL there was only one Battle of New Orleans, and that was at the end of the War of 1812. Since the October 1863 conflict was in Vermillionville (and the Union evacuated New Orleans after that), I assume that the First Battle of New Orleans is either referring to that battle (which is likely), or two battles in New Orleans are yet to come.

Chapter Eleven, Notes 9 and 21: Okay, Denison publishes an English-language book in Montreal in 1868. At somepoint, however, he "immirgrated to England rather than live in the newly acquired territories of the United States". In Volume 1, there was an endnote from a 1914 paper published about Wolseley’s 1863 lectures published in Toronto by “The Defence Staff” (which today appears to be roughly the Canadian equivalent of the future U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff), making me erroneously think that Canada stayed out of U.S. hands, but also implying that at some point before 1914 it becomes independent and/or realigned with Britain. As for Quebec, where Montreal is, maybe Quebec declared its independence after the war, with U.S. encouragement?
I think it's referring to the battle of 1814.

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill there. It could easily be a typo or a Canadian equivalent to the Sons of Confederate Veterans that purposely uses British spelling.

Speaking of the SCV, I think they and other private institutions would be more important in maintaining the myth of The Lost Cause in this timeline. I would think the North is gonna be less willing in this time line to tolerate the Romanticization of the Confederacy by the southern governments/schools. The North has suffered much more in this time line and the Grand Army of the Republic will be a much stronger political force.

I think it's referring to the battle of 1814.

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill there. It could easily be a typo or a Canadian equivalent to the Sons of Confederate Veterans that purposely uses British spelling.

Perhaps, good point :)

Predictions for the next book

NY/Canadian Border - Factoring in casualties from Claverack and likely reinforcements Grant should have at least 33,000 men and Hooker 28,000 (half of them Irish). Should be an interesting battle, not sure who will win.

Maine - If VI corp can relive Portland and cut the Canadian rail line it won't matter if Hope Grant beats Hooker.

Tennessee - Longstreet will attack the Army of the Cumberland and be on the verge of victory when Sherman's veterans and his new Gatling guns turn the tide.

Virginia - I think Lee maintains the stalemate in this sector.

Louisiana - The French will attack Port Hudson. I anticipate the African-American division stationed here will be pivotal in it's defense.

It would be interesting if African-American troops prove pivotal in a major battle. The value of their participation was purposely glossed over in OTL, but it would be much more difficult to do if they were the factor that won a major battle. Extra irony points if it's done against the antislavery Brits.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I just went back and re-read my predictions made after reading Britannia's Fist (the first volume):

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=2143793&postcount=82

Some of the events from the first volume endnotes have now occurred (e.g. the Union recapturing Chicago from the Copperheads, Grant still taking over the Army of the Cumberland in Chattanooga, French forces helping to capture New Orleans, the Battle of Washington), while others are now hinted in the actual narrative (Russians to invade Asia from its southern border, Bazaine taking political control of New Orleans for the French). Among those having not occurred yet is the apparent death of Robert E. Lee before war's end (a Confederate ship is eventually named after him).

Mackensen had a battlecruiser named for him when he was very much alive

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

I finished the book last week.
I found it to be very interesting and a great combination of the real and projected.
I agree that this story arc cannot be finished effectively in one more book.
There is so much going on world wide, based on activities in the US, that several more books are needed to provide a clear picture of how all the issues raised are resolved in this projected time line.

Chapter One, Note 19: Woodrow Wilson as the author of a history book is consistent with the Wilson of OTL ("our timeline"), so perhaps he still becomes president.

I doubt it. After all the footnotes in the first book make it clear that TR is just an academic, I would expect that aside from maybe Grant the whole list of Presidents will be different. There's been incredible butterflies already to the Democratic party.

Hooker is entertaining Presidential thoughts, though I'd prefer to see Chamberlain become President. He'd definitely break the record for languages spoken by a President, he was fluent in Greek, Latin, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Arabic, Hebrew, and Syriac. Maybe he'll learn Russian in this timeline.