Preview of my next timeline...

We are the Byzantines. Prepare to be assimilated!

(or, at least, this is the basic idea)

Think about it... and be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

Coming soon to an Internet forum near you...

Think later era... and think of it as the weirdest Byzanti-wank you could possibly imagine. All plausibility will go out of the window as well :cool:

But, let's just say they will end up making the Mongols look like choirboys :eek:

Think later era... and think of it as the weirdest Byzanti-wank you could possibly imagine. All plausibility will go out of the window as well :cool:

But, let's just say they will end up making the Mongols look like choirboys :eek:

Hmmm, combining the heirarchy and complexity of the Byzantines with the mobility and sheer tenacity of the Mongols. You sir, have just made a great TL. :D

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
I can't wait for this! It's bound to more than qualify for a Seal of Approval. ;)

Sargon

Just wait guys, just wait... (another evil grin)

The problem is, whatever they assimilate is going to be a letdown after all this hype. ;)

I can picture what my reaction will be: "Well, they're only assimilating the Han Chinese and the peoples of India completely into Orthodox Greek culture. That's not as much as what I expected." :p

A weird, excessive Byzantiwank, eh?

Let's see.....will it perhaps be something like the Franks converting to Arianism, resulting in the position of Arianism remaining a lot stronger, so that the Pope of Rome never becomes more than an appointee of the Byzantine Emperor, so a successful reconciliation with the Patriarch of Alexandria and his many followers follows, leading to a great Byzantine cultural and (indirectly) political expansion into the Red Sea and Sub-Saharan Africa?

And would we then see a Justinian-analogue-on-steroids come along, who conquers North Africa, Italy, and perhaps even Spain all in one go, and then makes sure that the Latin rite Christians remain divided and that the position of the Pope of Rome remains clearly inferior to that of the Patriarch of Constantinople and, of course, the Emperor?