Plausibility check: Any realistic way to foster Native American boat and sailing tech on the Atlantic and Pacific coasts ?

Petike

Kicked
Exactly what it says in the title.

What would be the natural barriers to Native Americans developing seagoing boats and seagoing traditions in the Atlantic Ocean ? Winds ?

What would be the necessary technological leaps for Native Americans from the eastern coast of North America, or even the eastern coast of South America, creating sturdier boat technology and developing sails and basic sailing technology ?

By sails and sailships, I mean nothing fancy, at most on the level of simpler sailing ships from antiquity or medieval Europe.

What would it take to do the same on the Pacific coasts of North America and South America, where sea-going boat building was more advanced and sophisticated ? Could they eventually develop some simple form of sailboats or even sailships ?

It is a long way from where they started. On top of everything else, it is much harder to get from the Eastern Seaboard to Europe then the reverse, geography and wind is working against you.

The Arawaks and later the Caraibs have enough of sailing technology to settle the Antilles and the Caraibes islands.

The North American tribes had also technology to settle Canadian north eastern islands and go to Groenland. But they don't settle in Iceland...

Coastal sailing seems to not be important in Amerindians societies but river and lake sailing were enough developed.

But sailing over an ocean required skills that the Europeans only developed in the middle of the XV century, before this date, they also feared the immensity of the Ocean. Great nations of sailors, Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, didn't attempt to sauled over the Atlantic.

Well there is these theories that the Polynesians made contact with the pre Inca kingdoms of Peru there is also a fair amount of evidence that Túpac Inca Yupanqui un his expedition made it as far as mangarvera in the Pacific he was using the naval technologies of the conquered costal people so maybe you can have a pod where from some reason the king of chimu or moche etc decides to embark on his own expedition and gets to the same place and subsequent rulers go every further and upgrade the naval technologies it's a a possibility

Last edited:
It is a long way from where they started. On top of everything else, it is much harder to get from the Eastern Seaboard to Europe then the reverse, geography and wind is working against you.
What? There's the Gulf Stream and the westerlies which steer anything from a ship to a hurricane from the Caribbean to Greenland to Iceland to Europe.

The vikings island-hopped to Labrador when, 11th century? The point is, they made no lasting record, as L'Anse aux Meadows was not discovered until after 1960, right? So you have you have missing gaps in history and could it have been possible for the vikings to have gone a little farther south and maybe imparted their technology to the local natives?

Well there is these theories that the Polynesians made contact with the pre Inca kingdoms of Peru there is also a fair amount of evidence that Túpac Inca Yupanqui un his expedition made it as far as mangarvera in the Pacific he was using the naval technologies of the conquered costal people so maybe you can have a pod where from some reason the king of chimu or moche etc decides to embark on his own expedition and gets to the same place and subsequent rulers go every further and upgrade the naval technologies it's a a possibility
Proof was recently found that seemingly proves this theory (attached below) due to mixture of native and pacific islander DNA, dating to approximately 1200AD, which opens up earlier contact between these peoples as being a viable route for native adoption of pacific Island naval technology at least good enough to proveably Island hop across the pacific. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/science-environment-53338203

Proof was recently found that seemingly proves this theory (attached below) due to mixture of native and pacific islander DNA, dating to approximately 1200AD, which opens up earlier contact between these peoples as being a viable route for native adoption of pacific Island naval technology at least good enough to proveably Island hop across the pacific. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/science-environment-53338203
Ok so around the time of the collapse of the wari empire that might explain why said expedition would not amount to more contact as if it was sent by wari no more would be sent as the empire collapsed or maybe it was a costal group fleeing the chaos and just stayed there
Chimu at the point of 1200 was not yet the kingdom it was in the 1400 so I don't think they would sent it but who knows maybe you can have a pod where the wari Empire lives longer or chimu expands earlier allowing for more expeditions

Not being a Nature subscriber, I can’t access the original article, but from what I can gather from the abstract things are more interesting than that. Most significantly, their find is that Native American-Polynesian admixture was occurring well before the Polynesians arrived on Rapa Nui, and it looks as if the contact (at least initially) came from the Americas and not Polynesia. That is, boats from South America got taken out by the current to Polynesia.

It’s not necessarily indicative of Polynesians reaching South America, but it does raise a lot of interesting possibilities.

Exactly what it says in the title.

What would be the natural barriers to Native Americans developing seagoing boats and seagoing traditions in the Atlantic Ocean ? Winds ?

What would be the necessary technological leaps for Native Americans from the eastern coast of North America, or even the eastern coast of South America, creating sturdier boat technology and developing sails and basic sailing technology ?

By sails and sailships, I mean nothing fancy, at most on the level of simpler sailing ships from antiquity or medieval Europe.

What would it take to do the same on the Pacific coasts of North America and South America, where sea-going boat building was more advanced and sophisticated ? Could they eventually develop some simple form of sailboats or even sailships ?
Maybe Polynesian Native American contact is maintained and institutionalizes thus leads to adoption of naval technology.

The first question is: Why would they try to sail to the atlantic ocean? They have to be a motivation, and this is really hard. Native American nations have the whole american continent to explore and the political relations were different compared to the european ones.

Considering the lack of immunity to old world diseases, wouldn't these hypothetical explorers just die on the journey home?

Petike

Kicked
The vikings island-hopped to Labrador when, 11th century? The point is, they made no lasting record, as L'Anse aux Meadows was not discovered until after 1960, right? So you have you have missing gaps in history and could it have been possible for the vikings to have gone a little farther south and maybe imparted their technology to the local natives?

The vikings will be of no help. They didn't have good relations with the natives, and they never really entered the interior of North America, sticking to the coast. The natives traded with them a little, but were too suspicious. You'd need a huge colonization wave, etc., to bring new tech and make the natives potentially interested, but that in and of itself brings further complications, as the power balance is tipped more in favour of the Scandinavians. They weren't technologically that ahead of the natives, despite metallurgy, boat tech, etc., so they'd also find it hard to establish permanent colonies. They'd need the backing of an existing Scandinavian monarchy or a huge "we came here to stay" wave of fleeing settlers or something. All in all, this is the least likely and least convenient way to get any boat tech introduced, and it's at the expense of the natives.

You might find this interesting:

I know about these, and notwithstanding Heyerdahl's questionable use of them in experimental archaeology (putting the cart before the horse with his pet theories), they are very interesting expressions of surviving native navigation on the Pacific coastlines of the New World.

The thing I wander about the most are sails... Did the South Americans use sails at all before the Europeans came ? Building the rafts I can understand easily, but whether they had the knowledge-base to try and equip them with sails, that seems more contentious to me. They had cloth, they could have figured it out, but... I don't know. I'd really like to read some archaeological journals that say "Why, yes ! Based on the latest finds, it is indisputable that Peruvian Amerindians used cloth sails or mat sails on their sea-going rafts !". Unfortunately, I don't know of such sources. I want to dig deeper in this regard.

Even if sails were figured out by pre-Columbian Amerindians in South America, it seems that sails in North America, on either oceanic coastline, are something that just never occured in known history.

The Arawaks and later the Caribs have enough of sailing technology to settle the Antilles and the Caraibes islands.

That they did. Nevertheless, one wonders whether canoes as in OTL was the absolute best they could do. I've wondered about sails, slightly larger canoes, maybe even multi-hulled ones. I think there were one or two timelines with more technologically advanced Caribbean natives, but I'm not sure.

The North American tribes had also technology to settle Canadian north eastern islands

That they did. A rare case of east coast sailing, though not that super-common.

and go to Groenland. But they don't settle in Iceland...

I think you are overgeneralizing a bit. Inuit were largelly apart from the rest of the New World, and were outliers in several ways. I don't necessarily consider their efforts as Amerindian, as they were an almost entirely separate civilization.

Coastal sailing seems to not be important in Amerindians societies but river and lake sailing were enough developed.

You know, one interesting prospect could be more active trade-sailing on the Great Lakes and similar. There's potential there... They're the closest to an inland sea, where you'd need some nearly seamanship-level skills if you were sailing on a larger boat, filled with goods.

Create conditions for native trade in the region, and some native polities and towns built on that foundation, and you can get a humbler "Native American Hanseatic League", for lack of a better term. ;) Maybe even with eventual "lake pirates" seeking plunder on trade boats, arggghhh. XD

But sailing over an ocean required skills that the Europeans only developed in the middle of the XV century, before this date, they also feared the immensity of the Ocean. Great nations of sailors, Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, didn't attempt to sauled over the Atlantic.

Obviously.

I think the Atlantic coastline of North America and South America are the least motivating areas to establish a native sea-going tradition. The Caribbean's a bit more open to that, and you can at least do some island hopping, but that's about it.

Now I'm imagining a scenario where a few North American natives brave the Atlantic coastline, bad weather blows them off course and they arrive at Bermuda. Imagine them staying there as castaways and establishing some sort of tiny settlement. Lack of fresh water would be an issue, they'd have to rely a lot on rain water, but other than that, it would be an interesting scenario. Obviously, most natives wouldn't bother to go in a boat on the Atlantic, so the scenario is rather moot anyway. To the natives, the Atlantic was, for all intents and purposes, one of the edges of the entire world. Huge, inhospitable, impassable.

South or north American?

It would have to be South American. Even Central American is a big stretch. North American is, IMHO, completely ludicrous.

may I introduce you to the incredible timeline Land of Sweetness a Pre Columbian Timeline by Every Grass in Java which is exactly what you are looking for for the pod is their sailing in caribbean

Depends on how that timeline got the Caribs, Arawaks, etc. to invent sails. Or they don't and just navigate the seas without sails like in OTL ?

Considering the lack of immunity to old world diseases, wouldn't these hypothetical explorers just die on the journey home?

Where did I say I want them to do an overseas voyage ? I don't. I was just wondering whether we could get more native seagoing trade in the Americas. Something in the vein of Europe's pre-Age of Sail endeavours, when most ships didn't bother to or couldn't go on the wider ocean, and largelly stuck to the coast and local seas. A taller order with the American Atlantic coast, I'll grant you, but I'd be interested if it would be at all possible, at least in some regions.

The first question is: Why would they try to sail to the atlantic ocean? They have to be a motivation, and this is really hard. Native American nations have the whole american continent to explore and the political relations were different compared to the european ones.

Yes. indeed. One of the biggest stumbling blocks.

Maybe Polynesian Native American contact is maintained and institutionalizes thus leads to adoption of naval technology.

While there is some evidence for it, I'm still iffy about the whole "Polynesians arrive and a tech exchange immediately happens" trope. History is messier and inventions take a bit longer to spread or put down roots, especially if borrowed from a different culture and not necessarily of immediate use.

South Americans doing expeditions with sailing tech borrowed from Polynesians would be certainly cool, though. Also probably the most likely foreign import of more advanced naval techniques. Tech imports through the Pacific Northwest are less likely, or only on a smaller scale.

Not being a Nature subscriber, I can’t access the original article, but from what I can gather from the abstract things are more interesting than that. Most significantly, their find is that Native American-Polynesian admixture was occurring well before the Polynesians arrived on Rapa Nui, and it looks as if the contact (at least initially) came from the Americas and not Polynesia. That is, boats from South America got taken out by the current to Polynesia.

It’s not necessarily indicative of Polynesians reaching South America, but it does raise a lot of interesting possibilities.

Yes. Though it makes you wonder how those South Americans got back home, after the currents took them westward. :p :)

Last edited:
Hard to say. Most of the sophisticated sailing cultures emerged in relatively large yet placid seas. The only equivalent in the Americas really would be the Caribbean - its placidity is debateable considering hurricanes, but it's better than the rest of the coastal continent which is otherwise open coastline or small bodies of somewhat placid water that are too small to serve as the base for sophisticated sailing cultures.

Of course, the achievements of the Arawak and other Caribbean boat people are certainly impressive - but why didn't they go further? Possibly, it could be lack of continental access. In the Mediterranean, sophisticated sailing emerged through peripheral cultures like the Minoans, the Greeks and the Phoenicians. These cultures had access to the productive empires of the inland, but also had access to the waters of the Med and through demand on the part of the metropolitan empires, sophisticated sailing were developed.

The only real equivalents on the Caribbean coast would be Florida and the Guianese-Venezuelan coast in terms of regions that provide adequate access to the island chains of the Caribbean. As continental landmasses, these give ample space for a civilization proper to develop that could then support a more sophisticated peripheral maritime culture developing. To fulfill this, you could either have an expansion of the Southeastern Moundbuilder complex into Florida, and an expansion of either the Muisca from out of the highlands or the Terra Preta civilization from out of the Amazon.

(This is the part where someone points out that the Polynesians developed without access to any sort of a continental metropole to support their development, thus utterly destroying my theory)

Even if sails were figured out by pre-Columbian Amerindians in South America, it seems that sails in North America, on either oceanic coastline, are something that just never occured in known history.
That's debateable, because the Nuu-chah-nulth and several other Northwest Coast groups did have ships with sails starting no earlier than the end of the 18th century, but they were inspired by European sailing ships. They used several types of sails from Indian hemp to mats of reeds or cedar bark.

But I think to get sailing in that area in the pre-contact age, you'd likely need a more developed civilisation which allows for more shipbuilding innovation (I used a mix of this and a religious-inspired development in my TL). Now a little more unconventional alternative would be the same route of "outside inspired development" but with East Asian ships. Not East Asian discovery, but with OTL East Asian ships washing up on the shore. Say around 1000 AD a Japanese fishing boat is washed out to see and lands somewhere in the BC Central Coast. The ship has some nice iron and copper goods to salvage, and a surviving fisherman or two end up slaves to a leader in the nearby village. This leader or one of his followers puts two and two together about the ship and the still-intact sail and copies the design for one of his canoes, and he, his sailors, and their Japanese slaves manage to figure out the techniques needed to stick sails on the canoes. This leader is successful in life (and he already got a nice boost from getting those slaves and that copper) and the design of his ships ends up traded and copied throughout the Northwest Coast within the next 200 years.