Plausability query, Britain tricks Free State into declaring war on the Nazis

Suppose after the terror bombing of Belfast a speech for Devalera is forged threatening war for attacks on the National Territory. Some Nazi agents are tricked into murdering Dev before this happens.

Could the Dail have voted that way in May 1941?

tonycat77

Banned
How Ireland would help the war effort?
I doubt once that leaks or is found out, that Ireland and the rest of the world will be amused.
Why risk the reputation of the empire on this stunt?
I could see the brits faking something to bring the USA to a war if they were ball to the wall, i doubt they would pull this off.

Absolutely the last thing Britain needs in May 1941 is another place they have to defend.
By May 1941, Ireland is likely an easy net gain, the Battle of the Atlantic is significantly altered, while the Luftwaffe capability to attack has been diminished already.
That said, I don't see how this could happen, the Daíl isn't going to be bounced into such a vote.

By May 1941, Ireland is likely an easy net gain, the Battle of the Atlantic is significantly altered, while the Luftwaffe capability to attack has been diminished already.
That said, I don't see how this could happen, the Daíl isn't going to be bounced into such a vote.
If it was after Barbarossa I'd agree with you, but until then there is the risk that Luftwaffe activity is down because they're gearing up for another all out assault on Britain. Ultra intercepts are handy to read but they could as easily be fake as genuine.

I do agree that such a plot wouldn't work anyway.