Planting trees in the Roman Empire

Do you know if there was any big tree planting projects in the Roman Empire?

If there wasn't, would such a tree planting project, supported by the emperor, have made any difference for the Empire's survival?
I'm thinking along lines of stopping desertification, getting more material for charcoal production, more timber for both the navy and trade vessels etc.

Do you know if there was any big tree planting projects in the Roman Empire?

If there wasn't, would such a tree planting project, supported by the emperor, have made any difference for the Empire's survival?
I'm thinking along lines of stopping desertification, getting more material for charcoal production, more timber for both the navy and trade vessels etc.

I think that would definitely help the empire, I've heard that Romans were forced into importing wood for fuel and construction from as far aways as Romania to supply their urban centers.

Well Lucullus introduced cherry trees......

That counts right?:)

As for the rest, the gradual desertification of the African coast was just another symptom of the Imperial decline. I doubt the Empire would have wasted money on ecological projects when you can barely afford to maintain the city of Rome itself or pay its armies.
It was a gradual inevitability and became less likely as crisis after crisis afflicted the Empire.

In bad economic times environmental issues take a backseat to other problems, like the dust bowl in the US during the Great Depression.

In Mesopotamia the early deforestation of the region would have resulted in earlier desertification, where it not for the incredible and complex irrigation system in place since the first cities sprang up. They were well maintained and looked after for millenia
The destruction the Mongols of Hulagu Khan caused by filling in the irrigation systems and destroying all the infrastructure ensured the desert would swallow the entire region and it has never recovered.

Have them start by planting trees along the roads and require that all of the large estates have a certain amount of land in wood lots.

Have them start by planting trees along the roads and require that all of the large estates have a certain amount of land in wood lots.

That seems to be a good POD.
Probus had projects for establishing vineyards north of the Alps.
Maybe he could have a tree planting project as well.

But that might be too late.
It would be better if the tree planting started already with Augustus.

Last edited: