Plans For An American Empire TL

A Roman-style monarchy like others suggested would be a possibility. Many of the founding fathers were inspired by the ancient Romans and greeks. In the long term an appointed or elected monarch would be more viable in having a monarchy that's actually relevant to politics.

That just leaves Lafayette, then.
Lafayette is nice, but why not just have a TL were the US just forces a Liberal constitution? If a terrified kid or king whos people just kicked them out, and parents just got beheaded were told they had to sign away absolutist authority, I'm pretty sure they would.

The TL I mentioned plays around this by having Jefferson beg him to accept it then committing suicide (I've shortened it). He accepts it begrudgingly. Why not simply have a bourbon with Lafayette as regent? Surely if one of his daughters marries one of Loius's sons that would be the ideal royal?

From a family that supports absolutism? I don't think so. I would suggest other possible candidates.

Lafayette is nice, but why not just have a TL were the US just forces a Liberal constitution? If a terrified kid or king whos people just kicked them out, and parents just got beheaded were told they had to sign away absolutist authority, I'm pretty sure they would.

Sounds tempting. I'll see what everyone else thinks.

I was hoping to do a TL inspired by @Lord Grattan's TL "The Course of Human Events".

I think the discussion is a bit disjointed because the concept of an American monarchy is open to interpretation. The way I see it, there's four main possibilities

1. A straightforward monarchy with a King who reigns for life and whose crown is automatically bequeathed to his male-line heir upon death. This is most likely to come about between 1776 and 1787, as an alternative to the instability of the Articles of Confederation. With a later POD, the idea of republicanism would be too ingrained in the American conscience, and one of the other options would be far more plausible. While the other options would have a monarch who serves as chief executive, this could only really come about with a Constitutional Monarchy where an elected leader serves as head of government.

2. A monarchy-in-all-but-name, a la Augustus and Cromwell. The chief executive is officially elected, but it just so happens that he is reelected until he dies and the person who succeeds him is always his male-line heir. This could happen at pretty much any time in early America. All that you need is for a strongman to take control of America during a time of crisis and for him to groom his son as his heir.

3. An elective monarchy, wherein the king is chosen by the Congress, an Electoral College, or some similar method. The problem here is that the only real difference between an elective monarchy and a republic is the terminology, and given America's stigma against monarchy, there's no reason for them to call their elected leader a "king," which leads to option 4.

4. An elective monarchy-in-all-but-name. Something like Hamilton's proposed Constitution, with an elected ruler who reigns for life. This isn't fully implausible, but it would require a crisis large enough for Americans to consent to a life leader. This ruler would have a nonmonarchal title like "president" or "governor" but he could still have all the pomp that surrounds a king; for example, John Adams proposed that the POTUS be addressed "His Highness the President of the United States of America and Protector of their Liberties."

Louis the 16th or one of his sons. There are interesting ways this can be done, such as the King making a deal with the revolutionaries for a dual monarchy in exchange for Louisianna territory and help to repay back the debt. Then the French revolution happens and the Bourbons pull a John VI of Portugal and presto a king in America. Or the king dies and one of his sons is spirited away by loyalists and since America made a "deal" with their king they seize all of Louisiana.
If we're looking for a noble who has done something for the country what about the Marquis de Lafayette? Granted he ranks bellow a Duke, but he does have some credit in the United States.
The biggest problem with a French king is sectarianism. Up until the mid-1900s, a large section of Americans were paranoid of Catholics.
It was in a dire situation post-1783. That's why the states got over their mistrust of central government to make the Constitution, because the Articles of Confederation were clearly inadequate for the problems the country faced at the time. Now, would things going a bit worse than OTL be sufficient for a monarch to enter the discussion? That'd take more work, but that was the window where people were, in fact, desperate enough to try something different.
One of the main arguments that America needed a monarch or someone with similar standing was that the powers of European powers wouldn't respect a country ruled by normal citizens. This was a major issue after the Revolution, particularly during the dispute with Spain over the Mississippi River. IOTL, the two countries negotiated the Jay-Gardoqui Treaty, but it failed to meet the necessary unanimous support in the Congress of Confederation. This convinced people that a stronger federal government was necessary, but if negotiations had fallen apart altogether, maybe people would come to the mindset that Europe would only negotiate with the US if it had a respectable king in charge?

I think the discussion is a bit disjointed because the concept of an American monarchy is open to interpretation. The way I see it, there's four main possibilities

1. A straightforward monarchy with a King who reigns for life and whose crown is automatically bequeathed to his male-line heir upon death. This is most likely to come about between 1776 and 1787, as an alternative to the instability of the Articles of Confederation. With a later POD, the idea of republicanism would be too ingrained in the American conscience, and one of the other options would be far more plausible. While the other options would have a monarch who serves as chief executive, this could only really come about with a Constitutional Monarchy where an elected leader serves as head of government.

2. A monarchy-in-all-but-name, a la Augustus and Cromwell. The chief executive is officially elected, but it just so happens that he is reelected until he dies and the person who succeeds him is always his male-line heir. This could happen at pretty much any time in early America. All that you need is for a strongman to take control of America during a time of crisis and for him to groom his son as his heir.

3. An elective monarchy, wherein the king is chosen by the Congress, an Electoral College, or some similar method. The problem here is that the only real difference between an elective monarchy and a republic is the terminology, and given America's stigma against monarchy, there's no reason for them to call their elected leader a "king," which leads to option 4.

4. An elective monarchy-in-all-but-name. Something like Hamilton's proposed Constitution, with an elected ruler who reigns for life. This isn't fully implausible, but it would require a crisis large enough for Americans to consent to a life leader. This ruler would have a nonmonarchal title like "president" or "governor" but he could still have all the pomp that surrounds a king; for example, John Adams proposed that the POTUS be addressed "His Highness the President of the United States of America and Protector of their Liberties."

The biggest problem with a French king is sectarianism. Up until the mid-1900s, a large section of Americans were paranoid of Catholics.

One of the main arguments that America needed a monarch or someone with similar standing was that the powers of European powers wouldn't respect a country ruled by normal citizens. This was a major issue after the Revolution, particularly during the dispute with Spain over the Mississippi River. IOTL, the two countries negotiated the Jay-Gardoqui Treaty, but it failed to meet the necessary unanimous support in the Congress of Confederation. This convinced people that a stronger federal government was necessary, but if negotiations had fallen apart altogether, maybe people would come to the mindset that Europe would only negotiate with the US if it had a respectable king in charge?

You do bring up a few good points. I'm particularly drawn to the first option because that's the POD I wanted to go with.

I'm recently making plans to write an American Empire TL. So far the only POD I could come up with is a slightly different outcome of the American Revolutionary War, with a minor POD being greater support for a constitutional monarchy instead of a republican government.

I want to make this as plausible as possible. Any advice or suggestions?

The US is already a very successful empire. Simply make them even more successful in terms of territorial acquisitions and foreign policy than OTL, but in truth the US was already insanely lucky that they ever became so large/powerful.

Otto von Bismarck once said: "There is a Providence that protects idiots, drunkards, children and the United States of America."

Valid point, but I always thought any king of America would be a king by the people not a king by providence. Rather if you look at it another way, its better that he be a quiet catholic so that Mexicans can integrate better, or Mexico.... but I don't know what OP has in mind.

If we're looking for a noble who has done something for the country what about the Marquis de Lafayette? Granted he ranks bellow a Duke, but he does have some credit in the United States.

Well, he did end up supporting Constiutional Monarchy in France, so maybe he would be a good candidate. Especially if the Franco-American friendship is stronger in this timeline

Then it's settled. I think I've got most of the elements within the TL fleshed out in my head right now, so let me know if the following ideas are correct:

• A POD set sometime between 1776 and 1787, preferably the former (ideas for POD would be appreciated)
  • A stronger Franco-American friendship, leading up to Marquis de Lafayette becoming the first king of the United States
  • A constitutional monarchy with a bicameral system, probably with some recognizable American political institutions like the Senate and House of Congress thrown in for good measure; the monarch's role as head of state is mostly ceremonial and he may or may not have the same duties/responsibilities as the OTL president of the United States
  • Treatment of Native Americans (once we get to that point in time) is slightly better than IOTL, so chances are that events like the Trail of Tears may never happen or occur differently
Is this all good?

Last edited:
Then it's settled. I think I've got most of the elements within the TL fleshed out in my head right now, so let me know if the following ideas are correct:

• A POD set sometime between 1776 and 1787, preferably the former (ideas for POD would be appreciated)
  • A stronger Franco-American friendship, leading up to Marquis de Lafayette becoming the first king of the United States; he might need heirs so that the House of Lafayette may survive up to the present day
  • A constitutional monarchy with a bicameral system, probably with some recognizable American political institutions like the Senate and House of Congress thrown in for good measure; the monarch's role as head of state is mostly ceremonial and he may or may not have the same duties/responsibilities as the OTL president of the United States
  • Treatment of Native Americans (once we get to that point in time) is slightly better than IOTL, so chances are that events like the Trail of Tears may never happen or occur differently
Is this all good?
Almost a replica of @Schnozzberry 's Death of a republic, I'm looking forward to what you come up with.