PC/WI: Caligula reigns as long as Domitian

What it says on the tin: could Caligula plausibly stay on the throne for as long as Domitian or Nero – essentially, through all or nearly all of Claudius’ OTL reign – and if so, what would Caligulan Rome look like?

The threshold question is whether this can happen at all: even if Caligula is competent and lucky enough to sniff out the conspiracy that brought him down in OTL, there would be another one and another after that, and if he alienated all the Roman power centers, one would eventually succeed. I’m assuming that the more extreme forms of insanity and perversion attributed to him by the senatorial historians are propaganda, but even if those are discounted, we’re left with a ruler who suffered from (justifiable) paranoia, grandiose fantasies, and a mean streak a mile wide. The aforementioned Nero and Domitian did last quite a while with similar personalities, but the imperial system was much more developed by Domitian’s time, and even Nero had the advantage of the Claudian bureaucratic reforms and a lack of intra-family rivals. Caligula might need a personality transplant – enough of one, at least, to avoid antagonizing the army – or else an unshakably loyal ally in the military or the Senate.

Either one would have its problems. It’s been suggested to me off-list that one way to achieve a personality transplant would be for Caligula to spend less time on Capri, but if he did that, would Tiberius single him out as heir in the first place? And if we go the loyal-ally route, such a man would face the temptation to become a Sejanus, and given the nature of early imperial politics, the emperor would almost inevitably start to suspect him even if he didn’t harbor such ambitions.

But let’s assume we can get past that, and that a relatively minor POD could keep the Praetorians loyal and keep Caligula on the throne into the 50s. One thing that’s fairly certain is that Caligula was engaged in a power struggle with the Senate: he was unwilling to continue the Augustan fiction of being first among equals, and wanted to be a divine king in the Egyptian or at least the Seleucid style. We can safely assume that this conflict would continue during a longer reign. Caligula would likely continue his administrative reforms of OTL, including the creation of a civil power base by appointing imperial freedmen to positions of responsibility, and given that even the senatorial historians credit him with administrative competence during the first two years of his reign, it seems likely that he could build an effective palace bureaucracy.

Another of Caligula’s reforms, according to Suetonius and Cassius Dio, was the restoration of popular election of magistrates, a function which Tiberius had shifted to the Senate. Presumably the idea was to shift power from the senators and equites to the remainder of the upper census classes, and to squeeze the Senate between imperial absolutism and electoral populism. Is this something Caligula would have dispensed with once he solidified his hold on power, or would he have wanted to keep elections as a permanent counterweight to aristocratic privilege and even encourage pre-Sulla-style anti-senatorial candidates? Would he even try to increase the voting power of the lower census classes, on the assumption that they would stay loyal as long as they were provided with sufficient panem et circenses? No doubt he would have found ways to keep any real opponents from being elected (as Augustus did), but his empire could become a bizarre mix of divine monarchy at the highest levels with popular participation at the lower levels.

Also, would the showdown between Caligula and the Senate end in large-scale restructuring of the latter? He would certainly eliminate any individual senator he didn’t care for – Caligula’s Rome wouldn’t be a nice place for senators – but would he go beyond that and eliminate the Senate altogether, or alternatively enlarge it and pack it with his supporters? Would he expand Roman citizenship as Claudius did, in order to turn provincial populations into his personal clients and elevate provincial loyalists to senatorial rank?

Finally, assuming Caligula dies in the mid-50s of either natural causes or a sufficiently stealthy assassin, who would succeed him? It probably wouldn’t be Claudius, who would be old by that time assuming that Caligula hadn’t offed him. Caligula’s own sons, if he had any that survived, would be too young - it would be another story if Caligula made it into the 60s or 70s, but in the 50s, any attempt to put one of his sons on the throne would result in said son going the way of Gemellus. Would he adopt Nero? Alternatively, might there be no remaining Julio-Claudian heirs at all, forcing him to make an adoption/marriage alliance outside the family? Or would the aftermath of Caligula’s reign be an early Year of the Four Emperors, leaving the way open for a dark horse (by which I don’t mean Incitatus) to emerge? What would this Caligula’s legacy be, and how would history view him?

Giving this one more try.
Jonathan Edelstein, you already gave all the answers to all of your questions. That's why this thread is not continued.

Caligula might need a personality transplant – enough of one, at least, to avoid antagonizing the army...
I am afraid it is not about personality. I mean it is not only about personality.

Caligula is just one more personal tragedy of a man not fit to his job.

I mean being an emperor in the first century A.D. was a job. It was not a stable monarchy, not yet, which could afford an incompetent ruler or two. Oh, no.

Nowadays it is a copibook maxim that you cannot take just any ordinary guy in his twenties and make him a SEO (General Manager) of a huge corporation like Microsoft, General Motors or Ford.
The Roman Empire was even more complicated than a modern corporation. If a SEO is unfit for his position s/he is fired.
If a Roman emperor was not suited for his job he was murdered.

Caligula was not appropriate for his job. Being stabbed thirty or so times for that is kind of unpleasant. But every job has it's occupational hazard...

I am afraid it is not about personality. I mean it is not only about personality.

Caligula is just one more personal tragedy of a man not fit to his job.

I mean being an emperor in the first century A.D. was a job. It was not a stable monarchy, not yet, which could afford an incompetent ruler or two. Oh, no.

Fair enough. However, even the senatorial historians, who hated Caligula's guts, gave him credit for administrative competence during the first couple of years of his reign. They did say he was a spendthrift, but that might be an exaggerated complaint about the populist nature of his spending, and even if not, financial prudence can be taught. The right lesson learned during young adulthood, or the right imperial freedman managing the treasury, and the empire could be put on a sounder footing.

IMO his main problem was political incompetence, and I'd say that was mainly down to his personality.

Nowadays it is a copibook maxim that you cannot take just any ordinary guy in his twenties and make him a SEO (General Manager) of a huge corporation like Microsoft, General Motors or Ford. The Roman Empire was even more complicated than a modern corporation.

It was a different time, though - lifespans were shorter, it wasn't uncommon for monarchs to succeed to the throne in their twenties or even their teens, and people that age would already have had a taste of responsibility. Some kings and emperors who first took power at that age became very successful - Augustus, for instance, had just turned 20 at the time of the Second Triumvirate. Caligula was already 25 when he became emperor.

Also, nobody's expecting Caligula to rule alone. He'd have the support of skilled people - assuming, of course, that he learned how to pick them.

I'm starting to agree with the person who suggested that Caligula not going to Capri might be the answer - not because he wouldn't have been exposed to Tiberius' perversions (which may also be exaggerated), but because he would have been in Rome holding junior offices, learning how things were done, and making contacts with people who could support his reign. Those things might have helped him stay a step ahead of the assassin's dagger, young man or not.

Some kings and emperors who first took power at that age became very successful - Augustus, for instance, had just turned 20 at the time of the Second Triumvirate. Caligula was already 25 when he became emperor.

Also, nobody's expecting Caligula to rule alone. He'd have the support of skilled people - assuming, of course, that he learned how to pick them.
I knew that you would remember Augustus Octavian. But he was a genius, he was the guy who created the system of principat. He was the real founder of Empire, not Julius Caesar.
You see, Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft, was quite successful in his twenties too. But you cannot expect the same from any ordinary guy.
And Caligula was just an ordinary guy.

My point here is not Caligula being young, my point here is his being ordinary.

He had ordinary, average abilities. If he had been just a member of senatorial class he would have tried himself on different usual posts of a senator. And he would soon have found out that he was not made for this or his political career would have been unimpressive to say the least.
But he would not have been stabbed for this thirty times; he would have peacefully resigned from political ambitions and lived quietly hereafter.

The Roman Empire of that time was not a monarchy. That is my other point.
It was a very risky job to do. You have to qualify. You cannot just reign. No way. You have a lot of challenges.
The disadvantage of any administrative post is that you cannot please everybody which means you have a lot of enemies. So your first challenge as an emperor (probably main) is not to get murdered. No matter how good you are, there are people who want to kill you just because you are a princeps.

The second challenge of Caligulla... oh, that doesn't matter, the first challenge was enough for him.

Someone said that running the Roman Empire/army was like holding a wolf by his ears.
Bad luck for Caligula, the wolf bit.

I'm starting to agree with the person who suggested that Caligula not going to Capri might be the answer - not because he wouldn't have been exposed to Tiberius' perversions (which may also be exaggerated), but because he would have been in Rome holding junior offices, learning how things were done, and making contacts with people who could support his reign. Those things might have helped him stay a step ahead of the assassin's dagger, young man or not.

Why do you think Tiberius had him go to Capri?

Germanicus' and his brood had been a running sore throughout his reign. When one family has made itself the center of most efforts to unseat you throughout your reign, you keep the surviving male heir close.

I knew that you would remember Augustus Octavian. But he was a genius, he was the guy who created the system of principat. He was the real founder of Empire, not Julius Caesar.

That's a fair point. As a counterpoint, however, I will give you Nero. He was 17 when he became emperor - eight years younger than Caligula - and nobody has ever accused him of being competent. In your words, if he had been an ordinary senator, his political career would have been unimpressive. Nevertheless, he stayed on the throne for 14 years.

Granted, Nero had certain advantages during the early part of his reign - the support of his mother and Seneca, the ability to rely on freedmen who had held high posts in Claudius' administration, and the very existence of the bureaucracy that Claudius had developed. But Caligula also elevated imperial freedmen and began to build a palace bureaucracy during his first years in power, and he could take advantage of the stability and full treasury that Tiberius had brought to the empire.

In other words, I don't think that someone with Caligula's inexperience was inherently less able to survive than Nero - his problem was political incompetence.

The Roman Empire of that time was not a monarchy. That is my other point.

Also a fair point, and Caligula's chief problem was that he either didn't realize this or didn't care. He wanted to rule like the Ptolemies or the Seleucids, and that wasn't something Rome was ready to accept all at once, and he wasn't politically adept enough to force it through. Once he lost control of the army, he was doomed.

What I'm imagining is a Caligula who learns just enough survival skills not to alienate the army, or else listens to advisers who tell him to go slow with the divine monarchy thing - maybe a Caligula who builds the case for his divinity gradually and in a populist way. Knowing what we do of Caligula's personality, these probably aren't things he'd think of on his own, but they might be told to him.

Someone said that running the Roman Empire/army was like holding a wolf by his ears. Bad luck for Caligula, the wolf bit.

I'll agree that the wolf (very appropriate metaphor for Rome) was bound to bite sooner or later, but I don't think it's beyond possibility for Caligula to have as long a run as Nero.

If we grant that possibility, at least for purposes of argument, what would he do with such a reign? I'd like to move on to what a Caligulan Empire would be like.

Why do you think Tiberius had him go to Capri?

Germanicus' and his brood had been a running sore throughout his reign. When one family has made itself the center of most efforts to unseat you throughout your reign, you keep the surviving male heir close.

Hmmm, yeah. I was figuring that the Germanicus family was neutered once Caligula's mother and brothers were arrested, but Tiberius wouldn't necessarily trust in that.

Maybe the POD we want would involve Tiberius not going to Capri - for instance, if he realizes he needs to stay close to Rome after Sejanus' fall, giving Caligula the opportunity to stay in the city and learn politics?

...He wanted to rule like the Ptolemies or the Seleucids, and that wasn't something Rome was ready to accept ... and Caligula's chief problem was that he either didn't realize this or didn't care...
... or he was just stupid.
That is my point.
I am not saying that he was dumb as a cork but I have some grounds to make an educated guess, that he was not smart enough to survive as an emperor.

Julius Caesar was one of the greatest Romans who ever lived which even his enemies admitted; and this outstanding general and ruler was murdered for exactly the same thing which Caligula wanted to achieve - to reign king style.
Augustus Octavian set a nice example how to rule the Roman Empire and stay alive for a very, very long time.

Caligula considered himself better than Julius Caesar and smarter than Octavian Augustus. Which automatically makes him stupid.

I'll agree that the wolf (very appropriate metaphor for Rome) was bound to bite sooner or later, but I don't think it's beyond possibility for Caligula to have as long a run as Nero.

If we grant that possibility, at least for purposes of argument, what would he do with such a reign? I'd like to move on to what a Caligulan Empire would be like.
Even nowadays even brain surgery cannot make a smart guy out of a stupid guy.
Nero lived longer because he was smarter. He had some pretty descent abilities and one truly outstanding ability - to avoid assassination.

So, OK, OK, we might give a few more years to Caligula, why not?
Till he is murdered by someone else or overthrown as a result of a palace coup or mutiny of legions.
- But what would a stupid man do with a few more years?
- I don't know, something stupid. Or at least something dull and ordinary.
I mean he did not even have money left for another construction building of his.

... or he was just stupid. That is my point.

I am not saying that he was dumb as a cork but I have some grounds to make an educated guess, that he was not smart enough to survive as an emperor.

I could make the case the other way: for one thing, he was smart enough to survive several years at Capri under Tiberius' eye, either by successfully faking loyalty or realizing that he had to be loyal. But yes, there's also plenty of evidence pointing to stupidity, or else a level of delusion that amounts to the same thing.

Maybe the problem with this WI is that we know so little about the man's real character. I think I'll leave it at that.

I wouldn't even say Caligula was politically incompetent either. I get the impression that Caligula was very calculating and was constantly aware he was pushing the limits. He just mis-stepped and pushed a little beyond them and it was the end of him. I actually find him to be a very competent politician, perhaps a little too confident in himself for his own good.

As to changing Caligula's personality, that's not too difficult. Just not have Tiberius seem determined to kill off just about everyone on his side of the family. I think the importance of his stay at Capri is a little over-inflated-rather I think the offing of his family members one after another had a far larger effect on his psyche.

I could make the case the other way: for one thing, he was smart enough to survive several years at Capri under Tiberius' eye, either by successfully faking loyalty or realizing that he had to be loyal. But yes, there's also plenty of evidence pointing to stupidity, or else a level of delusion that amounts to the same thing.

Maybe the problem with this WI is that we know so little about the man's real character. I think I'll leave it at that.
May I suggest reading "Caligula: The Corruption of Power" if you have not already? It's a fantastic book on Caligula's reign and offers a plausible explanation for his actions and policies and shows the man to be perhaps far more intelligent and competent than we give him credit for, while not drifting into the opposite extreme that he was a genius.

Absolutely. And what is important is not to believe all the lies and caricatures written by the so-called senatorial historians.

Being assassinated is not a proof of stupidity. Caesar was murdered. There were many murder attempts against Augustus, ...etc.

As to changing Caligula's personality, that's not too difficult. Just not have Tiberius seem determined to kill off just about everyone on his side of the family. I think the importance of his stay at Capri is a little over-inflated-rather I think the offing of his family members one after another had a far larger effect on his psyche.

Except then, wouldn't one of his brothers become emperor instead of him?

Anyway, thanks for the book suggestion; I've heard of it but haven't read it. Given your interpretation of Caligula's personality, do you have any thoughts about what kind of stamp he'd put on Rome if given 15 years to do it?

I read that more than anything else, Caligula may have been suffering from schizophrenia rather than stupidity.

A stupid man does dull things indeed, maybe be a bit rash at times.

Then you have the man who takes all the boats of Rome to ride a horse through the bay, that's something else entirely. You'd need strong people around him to "restrain" his impulses, but smart enough as not to get murdered.

Either way, you have someone restraining Caligula and being the true power with a diminished Caligula living longer or you have a free Caligula being too insane to rule much longer

First we have no solid proof that those facts were true.

Second it those were real facts, they were not a signé of stupidity it madness but of hubris, which is very different. Xerxes is supposés to have made a ships bridge.

This is political communication, like Caesar crossing the Channel to Britanny for the glory of being the first one crossing the "ocean". Or like Kheops building the great pyramid.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Assuming Caligula and Drusilla were lovers and this incestuous relationship was at the heart of his energy, then we need to prevent Drusilla's death.

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

I could make the case the other way: for one thing, he was smart enough to survive several years at Capri under Tiberius' eye, either by successfully faking loyalty or realizing that he had to be loyal...
...or Tiberius did not consider Caligula to be a serious threat because Caligula was a dullard.
I mean loyalty is a temporary phenomenon, that's why unreliable; but foolishness is forever.

Maybe the problem with this WI is that we know so little about the man's real character.
Absolutely.

Well, if Caligula had lived longer, he would have been the conqueror of Britain. He was the one who conceived the plan that Claudius achieved.

Why would he die aged 40 ? He does not necessarily get assassinated. He would probably be very popular with the plebs.

You can imagine him live until around 60. And my guess is that a long living Caligula would also campaign in Germany, to have the same strategy ad his father led.

...or Tiberius did not consider Caligula to be a serious threat because Caligula was a dullard.
I mean loyalty is a temporary phenomenon, that's why unreliable; but foolishness is forever.
More likely, Tiberius just never got around to killing off Caligula before he felt really sorry about killing off Germanicus' family. Tiberius doesn't strike me as someone who really wanted to play the role he did, but he kind of lost it for a time after his son died and Sejanus was proven to be behind it.

It also would be easy for him to perceive Caligula as a dullard, but that means nothing. At least the first 2 years of his reign, even by the senatorial historian standards, were pretty good, so no matter the perceptions, it's clear Caligula wasn't an idiot.