Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

(England perks up) "Oi, did somebody say tea?"
The funny thing is that the POD actually predates the introduction of tea to England by the portuguese by about a century, so its very possible Britain in this world doesnt think much about it at all, while you could very much have another country obsessed with the thing due to the japanese bringing their own there...
Like the french for example!

Hello,

With the developments in expanded ship travel and trade, have any imports, other than weapons, changed Japanese lifestyles and society? Have some prominent Europeans made their way to parts of Asia where significant trade centers have been established such as those by the Dutch or the Spanish. Possible travelers may include artists, writers, government officials, and church staff. I would think that travelogues similar to Marco Polo's Travels might have been written by a Dutch ship captain or a Spanish traveling monk. Conversely, have European literature made their way to East Asia. Also have a number of Asian travelers managed to write down their experiences in Europe ?
The answer is yes to your first question but Imma brainstorm specifics and either retroactively add it to a previous chapter or put it in an upcoming chapter. Catholic missionaries and priests are still banned from proselytizing to the Japanese tho. To your second question, even IOTL Aesop’s fables were translated so yes, although other works ITTL other popular literature hasn’t made significant inroads and it’s mostly been scientific and philosophical works. In regards to Asian travelers, some certainly have. In terms of specifics, WIP.
Speaking of the tea ceremony - have the Japanese diplomats and other notables performed it before European audiences, or have they kept it to themselves?
It’s been done for most of the diplomatic embassies.
The funny thing is that the POD actually predates the introduction of tea to England by the portuguese by about a century, so its very possible Britain in this world doesnt think much about it at all, while you could very much have another country obsessed with the thing due to the japanese bringing their own there...
You are 100% correct. This is something I’ll delve into more substantively in a future chapter but ITTL Catherine of Braganza marries Philippe, Duke of Orleans and the younger brother of Louis XIV. Now, Catherine was responsible for introducing tea culture to the English upper classes so ITTL, she does the same thing but towards the French upper classes.

You are 100% correct. This is something I’ll delve into more substantively in a future chapter but ITTL Catherine of Braganza marries Philippe, Duke of Orleans and the younger brother of Louis XIV. Now, Catherine was responsible for introducing tea culture to the English upper classes so ITTL, she does the same thing but towards the French upper classes.
I really hope Charles II has a chance for legitimate children.

This is big if true; thanks to being a fixture of Japanese ambassadors, this is bound to become an actual standard and protocol on par with formal dinners and dances. Not only that they will scour the world to better procure for tea leaves (and tea sets, too!), they will also try to emulate the ceremony itself — perhaps even to the point of even kneeling on clean floors and donning kimonos.
I fear that the Japanese ambassadors have already somewhat beaten her to the punch though.

Last edited:
The answer is yes to your first question but Imma brainstorm specifics and either retroactively add it to a previous chapter or put it in an upcoming chapter. Catholic missionaries and priests are still banned from proselytizing to the Japanese tho. To your second question, even IOTL Aesop’s fables were translated so yes, although other works ITTL other popular literature hasn’t made significant inroads and it’s mostly been scientific and philosophical works. In regards to Asian travelers, some certainly have. In terms of specifics, WIP.

Hello,

This part of a potential exchange between Europe and Asia is of great interest to me, especially possibilities that were never explored in OTL.

An official from the Japanese embassy in France or the Netherlands or a prominent merchant from Japan or China sees portraits from a highly skilled painter and is struck by the amount of detail that leads to a more life like picture. He is so intrigued that he seeks out the artist not only to buy paintings but also to sit for a portrait painting. The paintings eventually make their way to Asia where upper officials or even the Emperor of China or the Chancellor of Japan take notice. Eventually, an official invitation makes its way to the artist or even artists to present their paintings and skills in person...

Trade goods have a way of making through a number of parties and end up being sold to unintended markets.
The Spanish have access to a wide variety of American crops when several loads eventually make their way to the Philippines. Merchants leverage their goods for spices and rare woods from Southeast Asia and other items. Corn, pulses, and especially chiles are not only traded, but are being grown as local crops. These items eventually get picked up by Dutch, Japanese, and Chinese merchants and the foods start to appear in local cuisines. Of course with the Dutch and perhaps the French being far more prominent in Asia than the Spanish, they could have influences on local foods never explored in OTL...

Tea-loving French is so cursed lol, I love it. Imagine them just screaming that 'it's not good tea' and them buying tea from India instead lol.
I think that makes sense, I do think stuff like the metamorphoses and the Odyssey would be interesting, as I think they'd start incorporating the monsters in those stories as yokai and the such. Imagine having the siren myth being split between bird yokai that lures and eat humans maybe getting fox characteristics and the more modern mermaid myth (which has siren characteristics) mixing with the ningyo myth and making a different version that also lures and eats humans with a similar mechanism, but eating their flesh means giving you immortality. Books about philosophy and the rest would be very interesting too, considering that it would supplement Confucianism and other strains of philosophy the Japanese have.

These stories mixing with stuff like the journey to the west would be very fascinating too. After all journey to the west is the quintessential east asian story in a lot of ways.

Speaking of the arts, I think we would see Japanese chamber music developing into orchestral music from European influence. And with the gamba family being the king of instruments in Europe, I could see this causing kokyu to evolve into being a more important instrument due to its similarity with the gamba family, since its the closest thing the Japanese have to a bowed instrument, and development of larger and smaller kokyu (much like how Chinese erhu developed) would make sense as it becomes a more popular instrument in general, while shamisen develop away from the kokyu.

Speaking of orchestral orchestras like this I defo see the koto being an important component of the orchestra alongside kokyus, with the small kokyus and large kokyus being the main pieces of the rest of the orchestra, and a selection of flutes for the rest for an early Japanese influenced orchestral tradition, while a guy sings.

We also probably would see the piano enter Japan as is, since the closest thing being the koto and yangqin (which may be in Japan?).

I really hope Charles II has a chance for legitimate children.
He doesn’t, he has no children with Christina of Sweden. James II succeeds him, although big difference is that James II follows the now Presbyterian Church of England, being that he never had to flee the Isles. Also, English royals are forbidden to marry Catholics.
Hello,

This part of a potential exchange between Europe and Asia is of great interest to me, especially possibilities that were never explored in OTL.

An official from the Japanese embassy in France or the Netherlands or a prominent merchant from Japan or China sees portraits from a highly skilled painter and is struck by the amount of detail that leads to a more life like picture. He is so intrigued that he seeks out the artist not only to buy paintings but also to sit for a portrait painting. The paintings eventually make their way to Asia where upper officials or even the Emperor of China or the Chancellor of Japan take notice. Eventually, an official invitation makes its way to the artist or even artists to present their paintings and skills in person...

Trade goods have a way of making through a number of parties and end up being sold to unintended markets.
The Spanish have access to a wide variety of American crops when several loads eventually make their way to the Philippines. Merchants leverage their goods for spices and rare woods from Southeast Asia and other items. Corn, pulses, and especially chiles are not only traded, but are being grown as local crops. These items eventually get picked up by Dutch, Japanese, and Chinese merchants and the foods start to appear in local cuisines. Of course with the Dutch and perhaps the French being far more prominent in Asia than the Spanish, they could have influences on local foods never explored in OTL...
These are indeed some interesting things you bring up. The next chapter is gonna focus on culture so I'll definitely explore food in that one, and down the line maybe a chapter just covering European-Japanese cultural exchanges (on both sides).
Great timeline! How is the rest of Asia doing?
Outside of what I covered in Southeast Asia, some interesting things are taking place in certain areas I haven't really covered yet but that's a future chapter.
I fear that the Japanese ambassadors have already somewhat beaten her to the punch though.
To some extent but it sometimes takes a more native person to popularize an "exotic" trend.
Speaking of the arts, I think we would see Japanese chamber music developing into orchestral music from European influence. And with the gamba family being the king of instruments in Europe, I could see this causing kokyu to evolve into being a more important instrument due to its similarity with the gamba family, since its the closest thing the Japanese have to a bowed instrument, and development of larger and smaller kokyu (much like how Chinese erhu developed) would make sense as it becomes a more popular instrument in general, while shamisen develop away from the kokyu.

Speaking of orchestral orchestras like this I defo see the koto being an important component of the orchestra alongside kokyus, with the small kokyus and large kokyus being the main pieces of the rest of the orchestra, and a selection of flutes for the rest for an early Japanese influenced orchestral tradition, while a guy sings.

We also probably would see the piano enter Japan as is, since the closest thing being the koto and yangqin (which may be in Japan?).
Entertainment ITTL also in the works. You guys ask a lot of really good questions and ponder on a lot of good material, just need to flesh it out (and nw I read all the replies).

He doesn’t, he has no children with Christina of Sweden. James II succeeds him, although big difference is that James II follows the now Presbyterian Church of England, being that he never had to flee the Isles. Also, English royals are forbidden to marry Catholics.
If there is no glorious revolution and the crown still gets to keep some power then i'm happy.

These are indeed some interesting things you bring up. The next chapter is gonna focus on culture so I'll definitely explore food in that one, and down the line maybe a chapter just covering European-Japanese cultural exchanges (on both sides).
One American crop I see being very useful is quinoa. It is a crop that can survive in hot to somewhat cold areas as long as there is enough water, which should make it a good crop in Beiritou and SEA, and is in general an underutilised crop with a lot potential in general. Other than that potatoes would probably be pretty popular in Hokkaido and the chishima islands alongside European wheat, and taking rice from other regions of the world to breed would be nice too (like European rice).

Other than that there'd prob be relatively minor crops and peppers would prob spread in Japan, and I think we'd still see American fruits and the such spread through SEA and southern China. I will get cherimoya in Bireitou no matter what lmao.
Entertainment ITTL also in the works. You guys ask a lot of really good questions and ponder on a lot of good material, just need to flesh it out (and nw I read all the replies).
Music, especially European classical music, is one of my interests that won't leave me, and it does make me quite interested in more classical music in general (except Chinese opera, its too alien for me, but Japanese classical music is more understandable for me interestingly enough).

I just find it very interesting that the kokyu is an instrument that is introduced from a more south East Asian instrument than the erhu, and the sounds they make are very alien to European music too.

Oh no lmao 🤣

Imagine the Brits being coffee drinkers and the Europeans that settle America dumping British coffee into the sea lol.

It'd be too funny to not do it.

Oh no lmao 🤣

Imagine the Brits being coffee drinkers and the Europeans that settle America dumping British coffee into the sea lol.

It'd be too funny to not do it.
British Starbucks would be VERY canon. Also, Coffee and Chips (Read: fries), the Brits' favorite takeaway.

One American crop I see being very useful is quinoa. It is a crop that can survive in hot to somewhat cold areas as long as there is enough water, which should make it a good crop in Beiritou and SEA, and is in general an underutilised crop with a lot potential in general. Other than that potatoes would probably be pretty popular in Hokkaido and the chishima islands alongside European wheat, and taking rice from other regions of the world to breed would be nice too (like European rice).

Other than that there'd prob be relatively minor crops and peppers would prob spread in Japan, and I think we'd still see American fruits and the such spread through SEA and southern China. I will get cherimoya in Bireitou no matter what lmao.

Music, especially European classical music, is one of my interests that won't leave me, and it does make me quite interested in more classical music in general (except Chinese opera, its too alien for me, but Japanese classical music is more understandable for me interestingly enough).

I just find it very interesting that the kokyu is an instrument that is introduced from a more south East Asian instrument than the erhu, and the sounds they make are very alien to European music too.
Interesting, will consider.

British Starbucks would be VERY canon. Also, Coffee and Chips (Read: fries), the Brits' favorite takeaway.
British Starbucks is officially the most cursed thing and I love it lmao. I don't think chips (I know enough about British slang lmao) would be a popular condiment. Maybe a fried potato-based pastry? It would work quite well.
Interesting, will consider.
Ye thx. My main complaint for quinoa and amaranth is that the Europeans don't really use it as the Spanish banned it, but with more links between the Spanish and the Americas I think it could be possible.

So another question popped up in my mind; A while ago I asked which Clans are the Richest in term of Koku, and we had clans such as Tokugawa, Hashiba, Mori, Shimazu, Ryuzoji, and Ikeda.

But which clans would you say at the poorest? Because if I had to guess, I’d say clans further inland and away from the West and/or small territories. So clans such as the small inland Sanada, and maybe even the Date, since Sendai never becomes a major trading port and centered further inland.

And who would be the very poorest out of the clans?

Chapter 132: Food, Fashion, and Popular Leisure in Late 17th Century Japan New

Chapter 132: Food, Fashion, and Popular Leisure in Late 17th Century Japan

By the beginning of the 17th century, the predominant hairstyle among samurai men was the chasenmage hairstyle (茶筅髷) paired with the practice of sakayaki (月代) or keeping the top of the head completely shaved. Oda Nobunaga’s chasen-mage would become particularly iconic as he was the first ruler of Japan to forgo usage of eboshi hats (烏帽子) except for ceremonial functions. The chasen-mage would soon spread amongst the court nobility and the commoner classes and become the standard male hairstyle by the middle of the century. In the latter half, however, another hair style, the chonmage (丁髷) hairstyle, emerged in the urban centers of Kyoto, Sakai, and Azuchi. Marked by a folded topknot, it was first adorned by the merchant and artisan classes who opted for what they saw as a cleaner and more compact look. Soon, the samurai class began to adopt it, although most still had a chasenmage at the close of the century, especially in eastern and northern Japan as well as in Bireito and Luson [1].

Womens’ hairstyles would change even more significantly in the 17th century. At the beginning of the century, the samurai and court nobility still wore their hair down in varying lengths in the suihatsu style (垂髪) like they had for hundreds of years. However, this began to change with the popularization of the practice of tying up hair upwards. Early examples of this include the karawa (唐輪) and tatehyogo (立兵庫) hairstyles and originated among courtesans before spreading amongst the merchant and artisan classes. Samurai women, however, would largely refrain from adopting these styles until their evolution into the tsukunehyogo (つくね兵庫), marked both by a top knot and downward-trending hair going down to the shoulders. This hairstyle picked up in popularity in the late 17th century and would predominate especially among the samurai class by 1700 [2], with only noblewomen continuing to wear their hair in the suihatsu style. Uniquely in Bireito, the karawa and tatehyogo styles not only saw earlier adoption by women of the samurai class but even spread among middle and upper class Chinese and indigenous women.​

ioW2InJvjGgKHk0-VfaqtkqWawIWfAFxcvN3UleU7vsWYqlpBUz5SrRaEZ5U5i3T09415JW0uUN_aII4HQZD5zQYm0bRsnraOqgWrHO1L7bcVQhNWJYV40viyz8Ky3ofWdC7kY7dpEXtd_dXqEJI44s

Modern-day depictions of the tatehyogo and tsukunehyogo hairstyles​

Kimono would also evolve during the 17th century, with the kosode (小袖) spreading among the common people especially in urban centers and designs and techniques becoming ever more elaborate. Japan’s trade expansionism saw its cities attract commerce and wealth in an unprecedented fashion, resulting in opulent colors and patterns becoming more accessible and fashion trends shifting into the hands of the increasingly wealthy and influential merchant class as opposed to the samurai and court nobility. Even the material changed, with rinzu (綸子) or silk damask becoming preferred over plain-weave silk. Additionally, the fur trade also led to the popularization of fur pelts being worn or accessorized in Japan, principally among men and especially the samurai class. Tiger and leopard furs were the most prized, with wolf, sable, and fox pelts also prominent. Their usage ranged from being strung on the shoulder to being made into kataginu (肩衣). Their incorporation as clothing, however, was seen as immoral and controversial by a sizable segment of the population, being seen as a violation of Shinto-Buddhist virtues.

Food and eating would similarly change and reflect not only the better material conditions and greater peace and stability in the realm but also the extensive trade taking place between Japan and the rest of the world. Japanese cuisine would be able to expand through three key internal developments: the transition from 2 meals to 3 meals a day as a custom, the integration of snacking and snack foods like mochi and noodles, and an intake of foreign foods, crops, and flavors. Additionally, the consumption of white rice would also proliferate among the urban populace, although the vast majority of farmers and peasants continued to rely on millet as a base meal. These developments facilitated an expansion of the Japanese diet and a greater culinary interest in the realm, allowing for steady population growth and a culinary cultural blossoming. This was best represented by the introduction and proliferation of several nanbangashi (南蛮菓子), or Western sweets, followed by their domestic production when Japan began to import sugar in greater amounts. Some of these included the Portuguese konpeito (金平糖) and French sweet and savory crepes [3], with the latter often made from buckwheat as opposed to wheat flour. Various agricultural products also made their way into Japan throughout the 17th century, including sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and squash. Many of these new crops would quickly begin to be cultivated in swaths of the countryside affected by war or susceptible to famine, especially the sweet potato. Ezo in particular saw heavy cultivation of sweet potatoes and potatoes due to the absence of a pre-existing rice-based society and the colder temperatures [4]. Vineyards continued to spread as the demand for wine grew not just from the Yamato Church but also from wealthy merchants and samurai who enjoyed its taste. Fish and poultry would continue to constitute the main protein source as the consumption of four-legged animals remained largely culturally taboo for most of the populace with the exception of those hunted by the samurai class, though. The advent of open-boat shore whaling would introduce whale meat into the mix.​

OrExAmcH28IBnwSux7mfu9Wjc8pH6CUoGWPupfkeaI_xOvaParxnY0BmnSnLuu13_StKW6Ya-7wzU9UGjtXhYQr1X5HsQNfnCmUsSKXVerYj8hdqgc5dcwv14QhWvb4j_GIp-f3MnysEkidS0ZBugks

Sweet potato​

Far to the south, Bireito’s and Luson’s majority non-Japanese populations meant that food that the Japanese cuisine down there would diverge more and more from that of the home islands despite consistent contact throughout the greater realm. Here, the consumption of pork and other native four legged mammals was much more widely accepted, although cows continued to be valued and thus largely not part of the diet on both islands. The cultivation of sugar and tropical fruits also added a more sugar-intensive taste compared to that of the home islands. On Bireito, the sizable Chinese population introduced Fujianese and other mainland cuisines, infusing the Japanese diet with such condiments and foods like pork belly buns and fish sauce. Meanwhile, coconut byproducts like coconut oil and coconut milk made their way in the Japanese diet on Luson while curry and adobo began to infuse into traditional Japanese dishes introduced by settlers.

In general, the late 17th century was a time of increased leisure and fun for the average Japanese person. Beyond the greater quality of food and clothing, several cultural celebrations and traditions began during this time. One of the most significant trends was the popularity of the o-ise-mairi (お伊勢参り), or the practice of pilgrimage to the Ise Grand Shrine (伊勢神宮) which was dedicated to the Shinto sun goddess of Amaterasu (天照大神). As it was a several days’ trip from Sakai, Kyoto, Azuchi, and Gifu, it was an accessible activity for many. Other popular trips included those to the Izumo Grand Shrine (出雲大社) and the Kumano Sanzan (熊野三山) as well as Atsuta Shrine (熱田神宮) [5] where Oda Nobunaga famously prayed at before the Battle of Okehazama. Meanwhile, members of the Yamato Church would embark upon their own pilgrimages to the home church in Azuchi. Another trend was the development of special days and cultural traditions revolved around the gosekku (五節句), the five traditional annual ceremonies held by the imperial court. With the unification of the realm, these ceremonies began to be held in grand splendor without a shortage of funds once again, their occurrence reverberating across a relatively stable Japan. From these gosekku sprouted several days celebrated across both major cities and rural villages from setsubun (節分) to tanabata (七夕), marked by much festivity. Outside of these were yet more other celebrations and traditions, particularly those on the local level. All of these were often accompanied by an abundance of fireworks. A particularly famous annual firework display was one right above Azuchi Castle with a special structure within the castle eventually built to accommodate its ignition and launch. From its position, the fireworks could be seen from across Azuchi, and so magnificent were they that it was described by contemporary writers to be one of the most visually stunning phenomena in all of Japan.​

p8g26GvV8EfCpxUKf0HCAXXHXVq5riqUypI2zIJ-Db91cCEB7Os7vmblrT3THNx5p9HvUkNhBQcsPWs6k6i2H1QjVlWE7aMhNpn_qd9CUrPOTVS-KEoqsesC9__lbS9L0HAkO1r9c6cNFy76dS8v_n0

Depiction of an o-ise-mairi​

[1]: ITTL, the chonmage will take much longer to fully take hold.

[2]: ITTL, the shimadagami style (島田髪) never develops.

[3]: Due to French contact, also overshadows castella

[4]: An IOTL trend that is taking place much earlier.

[5]: A more popular destination compared to OTL for obvious reasons.​

Last edited: