Minarets of Atlantis

Could we get an update of Central Asia and india please. I love the TL so far, It being the most original idea.

Of course, all in due course. I plan to return to a few narratives in Bayouk, though first...

Diez Mil Cantos said:
what is the light blue area between Turkish Algiers, and Songhai? I'm glad to hear that West-Africa is going strong instead of collapsing. Songhai is the New Egypt (hopefully the Turks won't conquer it like they did the old one )
Shahrasayr said:
Sorry if I didn't see anything abou this but, who are the Tenariven ?

"Tenariven" is how I imagine the Turks would pronounce "Tenariwen" the Berber term the Touaregs use for the Sahara (meaning "the Deserts") that they inhabit. I use it as a geopolitical term both for the Touareg areas under Ottoman, Songhai and independent/nomadic Touareg control.

RE: Songhai and the Ottomans, ties are close for now, but not always, its only barely the 18th century ;)

chr92 said:
Posting mainly to stroke that beautiful Almay butterfly.

The rest of African update's good, too, of course. Including the map. That 'Benin' down south looks a bit ominous. Is it going to Islamise? If it cuts up rough, it would be a lighter irony than Clio usually goes for if Benin made the African slave trade unprofitable

Which butterfly?

We'll see, though I suppose non-Anglo/Dutch European powers will look to the Guinea coast and non-Muslim west African powers for slaves, African trade without the Anglodutch-Muslim axis monopoly. This will be mutually beneficial to the two, and with Songhai's ominpotency at the time, I do not see the advantages for native powers to convert if they want their own autonomy or thrones...

Badshah said:
No doubt Timbuktu continues to blossom without the Moroccan invasion... but one thing to consider is the Songhai have a lot of investment in keeping the Trans-Saharan trade going. Eventually ship-bound trade (especially with the rise of Bayouk) is going to cut off Timbuktu's wealth, although the salt mines would keep it from completely plunging. Gao/Qao would suffer as well, giving a lot more power to coastal vassals who're already trading with interested parties. Almay is certainly going to have disproportionate influence over the rest of the Empire as time goes on.
altwere said:
I think that there will still be a lot of trade from the northeast and east.

Yes, I still believe the African and slave trades to Egypt, Barbary and the Ottoman East will be best done via the trans-Saharan routes, not to mention the fallout in Morocco renders the "mainstream" (read, for now: Ottoman) Arabo-Islamic Near East reliant on Songhai via Almay for an Atlantic port to Bayouk.

But within Songhai I believe you have hit the nail on the head of a powershift from Gao-to-Almay in the future depending on the projection of the Songhai Empire...

sketchdoodle said:
Okay, now that is an African Sultan.
Soverihn said:
Eh, finally someone does a West African Empire doing well.

Its only the beginning

The Celt said:
What on Earth are the Polish doing setting up Forts in West Africa in the 1700s for?
Zireael said:
I re-read the update just for that. West Africa is a LOONG way from Courland and I can't see a ship sent from the Baltic reaching Songhai in any way.
And why keep a fort???
Novak said:
I laughed at everyone who didn't know of stronk Courland's colonies in Africa. Really now, for a forum that often times spends hours gleefully discussing dividing up an entire continent between Occidental nations I thought you guys knew of every attempt at establishing outposts. Hurrah for the Songhai!
sketchdoodle said:
Yeah, I was actually wondering just when would Courland come into all of this, partly because I just wanna see an underdog company duke it out with all the familiar names of this period!

Yes, the Polish duchy of Courland did attempt to colonize the mouth of the Gambia river in OTL, albeit in the 1650's not the the 1630's/1640's. It was overtaken by the Dutch in OTL. BUT During the later 1630's/1640's Courland attempted to colonize Tobago, which they may or may not still do ITTL.

If they can make it to Tobago and build a fort there during the same time in OTL; and the same in the Gambia twenty years later; they could certainly do Africa first, as it is much closer.

Props to Novak and sketchdoodle

sketchdoodle said:
Oh, and will Austria-Hungary manage to establish their East India Company and colonial policy too? That would put a real spanner into the TL!

What is AH without an Austrian colonial empire? Expect the Nicobar Islands for an outlet to the East Indies, but the Habsburgs via their Netherlands will be preferred to break the now-Bourbon monopoly of Central and South America as the natural Catholic ally of the Anglo-Dutch and the Ottomans. But more on that later.

I am actually not that bothered, but it's like putting "Cornwall" on an entity covering almost the entire island of Britain besides Cornwall :p

I am actually not that bothered, but it's like putting "Cornwall" on an entity covering almost the entire island of Britain besides Cornwall :p

5_22IMAGE43.jpg

Kahoqiya, Pashalik of Kahoqiya
Ramadan/Mares, 1109 (
March, 1698 A.D.)

To Soufiane, his eight year-old grandson, Seifeddine bin Ahmed, was the spitting image of his own elder brother Ahmed, martyred more than a half century prior in Tenoqtitlan by the Crusaders during the Conquest of Atlantis. After his son Ahmed’s placement as an administrator of trade at the Pasha’s court, Soufiane looked forward to traveling north to Kahoqiya to visit his son, and grandson Seiffedine. This year, the travel during Ramadan had been difficult, but the pious elder maintained his fast. The grandson of a refugee and later refugeed himself, like many of his generation, Soufiane was always settled, skeptical, and stoic in his world-view. Nevertheless, victory over the Spaniards in New Mexico and advances against the Jesuits in the forests north of Bayouk had softened him, if only a little.

Soufiane and his wife had been particularly stern parents as they raised their family in exile in Bayouk. Like most Atlanteans, they were keen to keep the stoicism and nobleness of their culture alive. However, as with most grandparents, their approach had softened with the arrival of a new generation in the family. The eldest son, Abu Seiffedine, had in fact married a Muladid woman, Nita Biscaino, of mixed Morisco and Adite origins, much to the chagrin of others in Atlantean high society. As such, Soufiane spoke Arabic with his grandson, who's knowledge of Berber was, understandably, limited due to his Arabic-speaking mother. Amongst other Atlantean families, however, most in fact, the Berber languages was zealously guarded in their homes and amongst their social circles.

Dada?” Seiffedine inquisitively asked his grandfather without any formalities.

Yes, azizi?”

The Navarrans, is it true they are Christians?

To the elderly Atlantean, it seemed at first clear that the Europeans who lived throughout the north of Bayouk worshipped that most infamous of idols – the cross. But the more the octogenarian pondered the question, the more he realized not only its unclear answer, but also the repercussions it had on this younger generation, fully and thoroughly of New World stock.

Since the first Huguenots arrived in Bayouk over a century and a half ago, Bayouk had been either a destination or a point on a migration of Gallic and Iberian Protestants. Many of those more integrated in Moorish society were from Navarre, and had spoke Castilian alongside the Moriscos they had emigrated with, and like their counterparts, had adopted Arabic language and customs; their intellectuals maintaining Castilian as well. Their precedent had led to their French Huguenot kinsmen being likewise labeled “Navarrans” by the Muslims of Bayouk. Yet, there existed many differences between the two groups.

While not all, many Huguenots married amongst themselves and lived in forts, and often traveled to the lands of the Haudenosaunee to trade and many would eventually stay to settle as later waves of migrants traveled to the Americas with the intention of joining the Haudenosaunee in their purge of the Catholic French in exchange for land and freedom. The Navarrans, however, lived amongst their Muslim neighbors, married amongst them, and over a century and half in a Muslim sea, had developed a more puritan and unitarian theology. While in the dialect of Bayouk they were often called nabraween, or Navarrans; these Arabized Protestants, largely of Iberian stock but many of Adite and African lineage as well, preferred to refer to themselves as muwahidoun al-massih- Messianic monotheists.

The Navarrans are Christians- they are People of the Book, ya weldi,” he responded to his grandson wisely. “From where comes these words?

Then why do they not seek to destroy Islam like the other Crusaders?

And then Soufiane realized where this had come from. Since the first Resurrection[1], the Islamic wars of conquest against Catholic Spain in the New World, nearly two decades ago in New Mexico and Jizan[2], popular sentiment against the Catholic Spaniards as “Crusaders” had seen the denouncement of Spaniards reach new highs. Coupled with the incursions of French Jesuits and the Haudenosaunee Ascendancy in the Paidenau[3] region north of Bayouk, certain scholars in Bayouk had spread treatises degrading Spaniards, Frenchmen and Catholics in general as so degenerate and derived from “True Christianity” that they were no longer followers of the Messiah in the monotheistic “People of the Book” tradition, but rather infidel polytheists, lacking protection or rights under Islam.

The presence of Calvinists and Huguenots amongst Bayouk’s allies and populations had seen the popular conception of Christianity, in the Muslims eyes, transferred to the Protestants. To Soufiane’s generation, there was no question that the Spaniards and their blasphemous Catholicism were the enemy; but it would have seemed impossible to reject their Christianity. Yet over the past three decades in Bayouk, such a phenomenon had exactly taken place.

5073799_Jeu_de_la_Koura_20x30.jpg

Near Kahoqiya, Pashalik of Kahoqiya
Emirate of Bayouk
Rabia Althani/Yunyu, 1121 A.H. (
June, 1709 A.D.)

For three years now, Seifeddine had considered René as his brother. The only son of his father, the Huguenot boy from the fort would had first left his fort in the woods to study in the local teboshkali[4] in Talah Baduqa[5], had excelled and been sent to the largest city in the north – Kahoqiya – to the kamlekak[6] there, the highest and most prestigious center for the education of youth in all of the north. Like many Navarrese Protestants and the few Huguenots who integrated into Moorish society, the Atlantean tradition schools were preferred over the local madrassas under the control of the local qadi, for their traditions of equality and humility.

It was at the kamlekak at Kahoqiya that René Jean Calvin-Dubois, later known as Al Nabrawi, had first met the young Muslim named Seifeddine, the son of an Atlantean administrator at Kahoqiya. There were not many Atlanteans in Kahoqiya, and there were fewer Huguenots. The two young boys excelled in their studies, and came to be particularly close: the young Muslim having no brothers, and the young Huguenot living alone at the school by charity of the imams and professors; on one of René’s fathers first visits, he quickly approved to the proposal of Ahmed bin Soufiane, the father of Seifeddine, the house and provide for René.

At the kamlekak, or in the fields and meadows with the other youth, the two were inseparable. They particularly enjoyed attending the la’ab albaroud, or gunpowder game performances[7]. Consisting of a group of tens of horse riders, the chevaliers would race forward, in a synchronizing charge, in a straight path at the end, firing many rounds at the same time into the sky so that one single, loud shot is heard. Usually a part of wedding celebrations, they plays were popular as well for the moussem (festivals celebrating the “gates” or beginnings of the seasons,) celebrations of the harvest, the festivals celebrating the collection of the maple sap[8], the Birth of the Prophet, and the two Eids as well. The Arabized Iberian Protestants, the Navarrans, also often performed their own plays during for Easter and during Christmastide; in Kahoqiya in particular, the local serba, or regional group who performed the plays, contained many Navarrans.

paul_neri_paul_neri_19101965_la_fantasia_huile_sur_toile-219-1.jpg

La Fantasie des Maures

Entertaining pastimes were not how the adolescents spent the majority of their time. Both issued from traditional pious and proud families, the two were well-read and in particular had taken interest in the Kahoqiya council of correspondence, one of several councils in the five largest cities of Bayouk (Kahoqiya, Mahdia, Maqbara, Matagorda and Medora) to between the mercantile and agricultural communities and elites in opposition to edicts and rulings of Mahdia-appointed qadis.

These five cities represented the centers of Moorish New World society[9]: Kahoqiya was, by far, the second largest city and had long-opposed domination imposed by the Moroccan-appointed emir in Mahdia; Maqbara was the largest Muslim society outside of Bayouk, being the capital and chief settlement of the Kadwani Confederation and its main center of trade with Bayouk; Matagorda was the largest city in the Jewish Marches and a primary Caribbean port and mercantile capital from where derived most inland trade with New Spain; while Medora, originally an Adite settlement who’s cooperation allowed for Moorish settlement at Mahdia and into the New World, and was traditionally the “Second City” of lower Bayouk. While Mahdia remained dominated by the judicial and ruling class as well as Magharaba (Moroccan-born administrators, elites and merchants[10]), it was also home the Atlanteans, and the Umayyad Madrassa[11] – both of which were bastions of opposition to the status quo in Bayouk since the assumption of direct control by Morocco and the monopolization of power by the Mudéjar.

Initially formed to address particular problems (the first, in Kahoqiya, to complain about the large tributes and rations demanded by the Emir from the northern harvests to supply the army against the Spaniards), by the early XVIII-century, the councils of correspondence had become permanent groupings of complaint and opposition to the rule of the qadis, attracting intellectuals, merchants, land-owners as well as representatives of nomadic Muslim Adite tribes- most important among whom were councilors to the emir of the Kadwani Confederation.

What does your father make of the Sharifians’ ascent in Fez?” René asked his closest companion as the two reclined under a large oak tree on the edge of a pasture not far from the city’s gates. The two were through and through city boys, but, as most youth of the north, they felt most at ease outside of the walls.

Nothing can stop the raise of the Pentapolis,” Seiffedine responded. “My father says centuries of corrupt dynastic rule is to blame not only for the instability in Fes, but throughout the Oummah…

René was surprised. While he certainly harbored similar opinions, not only about Morocco, but had heard his relatives speak the same of the tyrannical rule of French monarchs as well – he was surprised Seiffedine so openly spoke about his father’s intolerability of the dynasty, despite being an administrator.

He does not feel hypocritical then, as a minor vizier for trade?

My father feels it is best to be on the inside, to know thy enemy you know René. I think the truth is with his opinions.

René nodded in agreement. Indeed many spoke of “the time” or “the near future:” not only for when the de facto Alaouite rulers would overthrow the Saadians properly; but also for when a rift would come between the colony’s diverse elites and merchants on one hand, and the co-opted qadis who enforced Alaouite rule on the other. The Alaouite dynasty had given little support to Bayouk during the war with Spain in New Mexico, and it was rumored Spanish merchants freely traded in Moroccan ports. While the Alaouites, like many opposition dynasties before them in Morocco, sought the backing and power of the Moors’ traditional Iberian enemy; old grudges died hard, and throughout Bayouk, even amongst the Mudéjar judicial elite, many decried the cooling of relations with Spain. Amongst Atlanteans, normalization would be a red line: any normalization with Spain and the Spanish New World would be considered intolerable.

But truly, could the Pentapolis govern Bayouk independent of the sultanate in Fes? With what legitimacy can a Muslim rule without the authority of the sultan?” René inquired. In the circles the boys frequented, (Zahirid zawayas, the Atlantean kamelekak in Kahoqiya, etc.) many spoke of “the renaissance of the Pentapolis,” a name those who opposed the despotic and “immoral” rule of the Moroccan governors and their judicial allies gave to self-rule, referring to the Greco-Semitic Pentaopolis of Cyrenaica of pre-Islamic Barbary whom Atlantean philosophers in the Aristotelian tradition praised second only to Carthage for their governance. It had also become a codeword for the organized and mounting economic, political, and theological opposition.

Seifeddine did not know the answer, but he hard what his father and his father’s friends spoke of late into the early mornings in his home. They spoke of Muslim lands in far away countries- many, no, most Muslims outside of the temporal domains of the Caliph were ruled by their own rulers. As-Sultanah, the authority, was not only legitimate if it derived from the sultanate in Fes. In Arabia, India and Songhai other sultans ruled. But this was not the most daring of presumptions and ideas discussed in secrecy and privacy late at night by candlelight amongst men from many walks of life in Bayouk united in opposition to the judicial class’s rule.

Seiffedine moved closer to the young man he was closest to in the whole world, for all intents and purposes, his brother. Reaching his arms around the young Huguenots shoulders, he spoke in a low voice, lest the deer, squirrels or trees be aligned to the status quo of the qadis:

My father says the legitimacy of the Pentapolis derives from the consensus of the Believers who are sound of mind, and furthermore that freeborn Muslims, as in the time of the pious ancestors, need not and should not submit to the authority of dynasties or kings. Rather, that freeborn Muslims outside of the realms of the Caliph can and ought to elect amongst themselves temporal authority for their own administration, common good, as well as guardianship and protection of the People of the Book therein residing…

[1] The Resurrection: Term used by Muslims historians ITTL to refer to the period of Muslim expansion at the expense of Catholics, primarily by the Moors of the New World against the Spaniards, i.e. kind of a "Reconquista" but not, exactly.
[2] Jizan: Al-Barquq (*Albuquerque) and environs, Moorish New Mexico (see post n°64)
[3] Paidenau: From "Pays-d'en-haut," term used in Arabic and English to refer to the areas of the Great Lakes and further northwest; *Wisconsin, *the U.P., *Minnesota, etc.
[4] teboshkali: Azteco-Berber schools for the populace (see post n°50)
[5] See the introduction narrative of René Al Nabrawi, post n°33
[6] kamlekak: Azteco-Berber schools for elites (see [4])
[7] Known in Arabic as "la'ab al-baroud", in Berber as "tbourida" and in French and English as "Fantasia" (Link to video)
[8] Sugar Eid: See post n°86
[9] Map of the Cities and Settlements of Bayouk: This map is an older attempt before I addressed the issue of the French and the English in the *Southeastern USA, but it shows the cities mentioned. I hope to have a more detailed map and post on Bayouk soon.
[10] See post n°50 on the Demographics of Bayouk
[11] See post on the Umayyad Madrassa (n°50, point [10] as well.)

Last edited:
Expected vilification of the Catholics as Pagan infidels. As well as the growth of Bayouk's democratic ideals on religious basis. I'm looking forward to see how it will contrast and cross-pollinate with European secularism in the future.

Well well, it seems the days of Moroccan authority are now numbered. Can I also say that I really like your style of writing? :D

Last edited:
A couple months earlier and I'm sure this would have been a huge contender for the Turtledoves. :)

There's a really good balance between narratives and 'textbook' here- the fact that the author's great at both makes this one of the best TLs on this board IMO.

A couple months earlier and I'm sure this would have been a huge contender for the Turtledoves.

Damn right. I'm looking forward to nominating it next year.

The unfolding revolution in Bayouk is fascinating. It seems likely to succeed, given Bayouk's size relative to its colonial patron. But I suspect it will be as much a civil war as a revolution, and that afterward, the old order, the rising class of the Pentapolis and the frontiersmen will have many disputes.

It's also interesting that the Pentapolis' claim to authority rests on a consensus of freeborn Muslims when at least one of the cities is mostly Jewish. Maybe the Jews and the Huguenots will achieve some kind of honorary status while the Catholics are reviled.

And I assume "Muladid" is an equivalent term to mestizo, but that Spaniards frequently confuse it with mulatto?

The unfolding revolution in Bayouk is fascinating. It seems likely to succeed, given Bayouk's size relative to its colonial patron. But I suspect it will be as much a civil war as a revolution, and that afterward, the old order, the rising class of the Pentapolis and the frontiersmen will have many disputes.

It's also interesting that the Pentapolis' claim to authority rests on a consensus of freeborn Muslims when at least one of the cities is mostly Jewish. Maybe the Jews and the Huguenots will achieve some kind of honorary status while the Catholics are reviled.

And I assume "Muladid" is an equivalent term to mestizo, but that Spaniards frequently confuse it with mulatto?

I might beat you to it. :p

Something Essam said a while back sort of makes a whole lot of sense right about now- he said that there would be a US. Could that US be based from Bayouk- a 'United States' built on Berber, Atlantean, Arab, Jewish and Huguenot cooperation? That's a seriously cool possibility (closer to reality it seems, with Bayouk becoming more and more separate from Morocco).

Fantastic timeline Essam! I just discovered this, and made it through 5 pages before giving up for the night and subscribing.

Expected vilification of the Catholics as Pagan infidels. As well as the growth of Bayouk's democratic ideals on religious basis. I'm looking forward to see how it will contrast and cross-pollinate with European secularism in the future.

I think any surviving Iberian Muslim civilization would have several generations of vilifying Catholics and Spaniards, especially if they continue to be a menace in their new abode. It should be interesting indeed to see how proto-democratic ideals in Bayouk cross-pollinate with systems that develop in Europe and European colonies in the Americas I agree.

sketchdoodle said:
Well well, it seems the days of Moroccan authority are now numbered. Can I also say that I really like your style of writing?

As J.E. mentioned, a "colony" that existed for almost a century under de facto autonomy, and is almost completely settled (i.e. not nearly a significant "nomadic" or Bedouin population as exists in North Africa) and so far from a non-naval power such as Morocco would only naturally itch for independence after roughly a century of Moroccan rule; especially given its size and the interests of its own elites conflict with those co-opted by the Moroccans and the Moroccan-born administrators as well. However, legitimacy of the Moroccans as outsiders above the system will be hard to easily replace...

Thank you so much! :eek:

Huehuecoyotl said:
I'm led to wonder if the English will come to view Bayouk as a potential ally against the Spanish and French.

Morocco has become less of an ally over the past 50-70 years since the Saadians have been all but overthrown by the Alaouites who have used a lot of indirect Spanish support to rise to power. The Anglo-Moroccan alliance is mainly a naval one, as Morocco was a source and base for Corsairs. Corsairs and other naval traditions of Morocco are much more connected to Ottoman Algiers and Bayouk; so I presume where goes the Corsairs and "Moroccan" navy based in Bayouk, goes the English alliance as well.

Zireael said:
I loved the update!
Herzen's love-child said:
This continues to be marvelous. I could really see this transformed into a publishable book.

Not often I say this about a TL.
Badshah said:
A couple months earlier and I'm sure this would have been a huge contender for the Turtledoves.

There's a really good balance between narratives and 'textbook' here- the fact that the author's great at both makes this one of the best TLs on this board IMO.

You three are too kind, honestly thank you so much genuinely. I am relieved and glad to know you all are able to follow my rambling run-on sentences and hopefully you have a similar coherent idea of the situation and TL in your heads that I have in mine! That is the only reason I have for how I go on and on...and on :p Merci beaucoup

Jonathan Edelstein said:

From an award-winning author, t'es trop gentil J.E. Que dieu te protège merci mon frère...

I suspect, as I mentioned above, given the context and situation, the early XVIII-century is perhaps the longest lifetime a Moroccan-ruled Bayouk could last. It came into force decades after existence, Atlantis had no such tradition, and the Moroccan sultan's power is only due to the lack of the legitimacy of the Nassrids after the collapse of Granada. The societies are drastically different, and Iberian Moorish society has transformed and fused into something entirely different after over two centuries presence in North America.

While it may initially be a popular revolution: it will unite (mostly) everyone against the status quo. How that works after the status quo is overthrown, we will have to see. If it is not immediately much of a civil war, I expect it will become one sometime soon after the revolution when relations between the elites of the opposition and the "popular" support of the opposition begin to realize their differences.

Jonathan Edelstein said:

Protestants and Jews in Bayouk share in a tradition of previous oppression at the hands of Spaniards. They also fit the bill of the "People of the Book" who provide a tax and an income for the State which allows them more financial success as their protection is the responsibility of the Muslims.

While I expect this to continue to be the case as the Zahiri-influenced opposition comes to power, one mustn't forget the difference between the theological opposition and the political one. While both come from a Zahirid reference, the diaglossia between Arabic-writing religious scholars and Castilian-writing "secular" scholars of the political opposition are huge. Both will advocate inclusion of the People of the Book in opposing the Mudeéjars and Moroccans; but the Aristotelians amongst the "secular" political opposition differ greatly from the Zahiri religious scholars on how to administer society when it is not explicitly mentioned in the Shariah. Both are literalists, as we have discussed before. Anyhow, I'm getting ahead of myself. But Opposition right now has a common enemy, and is an unholy alliance of sorts.

Badshah said:
I might beat you to it.

Something Essam said a while back sort of makes a whole lot of sense right about now- he said that there would be a US. Could that US be based from Bayouk- a 'United States' built on Berber, Atlantean, Arab, Jewish and Huguenot cooperation? That's a seriously cool possibility (closer to reality it seems, with Bayouk becoming more and more separate from Morocco).

But I also said the Moorish New World will not always be a single polity :p

alphaboi867 said:
Fantastic timeline Essam! I just discovered this, and made it through 5 pages before giving up for the night and subscribing.

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you around.

We have a lot of discussions and collaborative thinking in between the posts and so I once compiled the first 20 updates in the link below, and then I've linked you the rest of the updates so you can follow just the story if you want to expedite your catching up :eek:

The first 20 updates can be found here in a compiled post with hyperlinks.

The subsequent posts are:

Update 21: The Iroquois League (post n°183)

Populations of North America circa 1700 (post n°186)

Map of North America circa 1700 (post n°187)

Update 22: The War of Spanish Succession (post n°192)

Update 23: The Habsburg, Mughal, Ottoman and Safavid Dynasties (post n°200)

Update 24: The Far East (post n°208)

Update 25: The Ottoman Regent Halima Sultan (post n°214)

Update 26: West Africa and the Songhai Empire (post n°228)

Bon lecture!

You three are too kind, honestly thank you so much genuinely. I am relieved and glad to know you all are able to follow my rambling run-on sentences and hopefully you have a similar coherent idea of the situation and TL in your heads that I have in mine! That is the only reason I have for how I go on and on...and on :p Merci beaucoup
De rien.:)
Your writing style in English has an authentic quality that you sometimes see in good historical fiction and does not come off as mere rambling. Don't sell yourself short!

Merci beaucoup

C'est quelque chose de magnifique. Moi, je trouve cette histoire vibrant, étrange et absolument épique. Merci pour écrire cette pièce d'art- moi je ne pense pas que je suis seul en disant que c'est tellement frais. :)

De rien.:)
Your writing style in English has an authentic quality that you sometimes see in good historical fiction and does not come off as mere rambling. Don't sell yourself short!

Thank you so much, it means a lot :eek:

Badshah said:
C'est quelque chose de magnifique. Moi, je trouve cette histoire vibrant, étrange et absolument épique. Merci pour écrire cette pièce d'art- moi je ne pense pas que je suis seul en disant que c'est tellement frais.

T'es trop gentil...je te remercie! I hope you stay interested :eek:

Such nice responses to end my week-end, you all are incredible :eek:

I'm about half way through it (It had been a while since I read the first few updates, so I started over again). Overall, it's very fascinating and I'm really curious how this is going to play out, especially at all the hints of greater Protestant-European cooperation with Bayouk; and the mention here and there about the USA still coming about.

My only concern so far is some of the same events going the same route as per OTL. Cortes leading the expedition to Mexico is a minor one IMO, but even with him just leading it there were lots of variables to consider (still, just a minor quibble). My greater concern is the Inca conquest, since that one was even more based off sheer luck than the conquest of Mexico. It was a much smaller force, led by someone not quite up to Cortes's standards of leadership, and that arrived just as the Inca were in the midst's of plague and civil war.

I know in your TL, you're taking a more conservative approach with the butterfly effect, which is cool. And it's still well within the realm of possibility for Spain to conquer the Inca, but it's really unlikely for the course it took to mimic OTL, especially decades after the POD. So that's my one big nitpick and suggestion you should look into if it's still a viable option to change. I could see Spain wishing to not loose another conquest to other powers or even the potential to have it turn into a 2nd Atlantis motivating them to put a lot of effort into it.

Otherwise great job so far. I really like how you've shown that a Muslim colonization of the Americas would play out quite differently than a Euro-Christian one.:D

Last edited: