M4A3E8

marathag

Banned
So no units receive them until well after D-Day? Isn‘t the premise of this thread to have the ETO Sherman force re-equipped before D-Day?

I’m questioning if it’s even possible without delaying the landings.
There was not a lot of rush, going from Spring 1942 to November 1943 to get those tracks going, using OTL priority.
It could have been faster.
A lot faster

McPherson

Banned
They didn't have appreciably worse breakdowns than standard Shermans. That was tested before Production was started, by loading steel plates on Shermans.
Mechanically, the only change was to a lower ratio in the final drives(top speed now 22mph), and all had the duck bill end connectors fitted to the tracks to keep acceptable ground pressure of 14.2 psi from the standard 10.8 psi
Tiger II was 15.2
Missed the point. Bridges, cranes, ship's deck load ratings, tank transporters have loaded weight limits. Even ROADS have loaded weight limits, Tiger II had the same exact problem as the Sherman Jumbo. It could not get to the fight without a lot of effort and special scarce equipment.

Indeed 5 out of 6 times a US tank gun was fired it was firing at something that was not a tank. Most of the times it did fire at a tank it was a Panzer III or IV.
As a matter of pedantry I am forced to point out that the important stat is the things that kill you, not the things you survive. If you fire 100 shots at a Panzer III and one shot at a Tiger, that doesn't mean the Panzer 3 is more dangerous than the Tiger, it means it's less. If you can spend all day shooting at a Panzer 3 without it killing you then it's not a problem. If you can only get one shot off at a Tiger before it kills you, it's a problem.

They didn't have appreciably worse breakdowns than standard Shermans. That was tested before Production was started, by loading steel plates on Shermans.
Mechanically, the only change was to a lower ratio in the final drives(top speed now 22mph), and all had the duck bill end connectors fitted to the tracks to keep acceptable ground pressure of 14.2 psi from the standard 10.8 psi
Tiger II was 15.2
Except that the Tiger II could handle its own weight - the Jumbo was known for crushing its ball bearings and suspension, and took a hit to speed and mileage.

marathag

Banned
Tiger II had the same exact problem as the Sherman Jumbo. It could not get to the fight without a lot of effort and special scarce equipment.
They managed without that much effort.
Cobra_King%2C_first_tank_in_Bastogne.jpg

marathag

Banned
Except that the Tiger II could handle its own weight - the Jumbo was known for crushing its ball bearings and suspension, and took a hit to speed and mileage.
You have that turned around. More Tiger II were lost to breakdowns.

The Jumbo weight weight took the M4 phenomenal reliability to standard Allied

I'm not sure Wiki can be believed. AFAIK the tanks the Sherman were mostly PzIV, who were often confused by allied troops for Tigers. The most produced German armoured vehicle was the StUG-III.

They actually did see that as a primary role for tanks. Thing is they faced the difficulty of the Atlantic ocean between their production base and the fornt. This meant they cannot accept failures as the Germans faced with their tanks in Kursk, were they send Panthers and Ferdinands into battle which still had teething problems.

Also AFAIK a tank with a 90mm gun needs a bigger turretring, meaning a bigger tank, meaning they take more space into the ships. In the end this meant that they could either ship 5 Shermans or 2 or 3 M-26s. Since indeed the Sherman was judged good enough in spring 1944 (and it really was at that moment) they decided to go with the (well-tested) Sherman, instead of with a not enough tested tank with 90mm gun.

I don't usually like to bring up videos, but this one by the Chieftain adresses the issues the US faced very well. I'd highly recommend viewing it:

He adresses the myth that tanks were not supposed to kill tanks at 9:50, from the American doctrine: "Attacking tanks frequently encounter hostile tanks unexpectedly. At other times they may be requered to attack hostile tanks in order to break up an attack or counterattack."

At 13:00 he explaines that tankdestroyers are used as a reserve when attacking and been put into action when large numbers of enemy tanks are encoutered. In the meantime, everything else that attacks is also supposed to kill tanks.

At about 15:00 he explains that US army didn't put anything into production unless they bloody well knew that it worked (unlike the Germans).

At about 16:50 he citates a document by the Army board (december 1944) that the T26E1 was not battle ready. Which is almost six months after D-Day. So the reason they didn't take Pershings with them at D-Day, was because they were not ready. What really you don't want is that instead of 5 Shermans, you got 3 Pershing of which a third break down before they get into action.

At 19:00 he discusses the timeline of the Pershing and concludes there is no way that a relable version of it can be build before january 1945.

Taking a new tank ito production needs time and testing. You can't reall rush them into service. Well, the Germans thought they could, and they faced massive reliability problems.
Panthers and Tigers are vastly overrated tanks for that reason. What good is a tank that doesn't show up because it broke down? None. If the Panther and Tiger had a truly massive advantage over the Sherman I could see using them even with the hit to reliability. If it showed up and killed 4 or 5 Shermans before it died it might be worth it even if half of them break down on the way, but they didn't. The one who got off the first shot usually won in the West.

As a matter of pedantry I am forced to point out that the important stat is the things that kill you, not the things you survive. If you fire 100 shots at a Panzer III and one shot at a Tiger, that doesn't mean the Panzer 3 is more dangerous than the Tiger, it means it's less. If you can spend all day shooting at a Panzer 3 without it killing you then it's not a problem. If you can only get one shot off at a Tiger before it kills you, it's a problem.

Except a Panzer IV was fully capable of killing a Sherman, they killed far more Shermans than Tigers did . That was because they were cheaper and thus a hell of lot more of them. A German 88 mm AT could easily take them out and were encountered for more often than a Tiger. A 75mm tank gun took them out better than the 76mm. So you wind up losing a few less to TIgers but considerably more to 88s.

The Jumbo weight weight took the M4 phenomenal reliability to standard Allied
Just because redlining something doesn't lead to a breakdown this time doesn't mean it should be standard policy.

And again, it was slower and ran out of gas faster, two things you don't want in armoured warfare. The WAllies made the right call in limiting them to a few hundred.

marathag

Banned
Over frozen ground. One exception (data outlier) does not negate the mean, when the outlier can be explained as the exception to the mean.
Yet the Tiger II had problems. There's enough US unit histories out there, the biggest complaint was not the weight, but that it was armed with a 75mm, and there just were not enough of the Jumbos to go around
that's why Patton had 3rd Army AD have workshops manufacture ersatz Jumbos
1624413806040.jpeg

1624413879678.jpeg

1624413943716.jpeg

EDIT Note other mods, coaxial .50, and extra .30 on Center image

Last edited:

McPherson

Banned
Yet the Tiger II had problems. There's enough unit histories out there, the biggest complaint was not the weight, but that it was armed with a 75mm, and there just were not enough of them.

1. It was an 88.
2. it bogged during Wacht am Rhein
3. Peiper could not get them to move on the roads or cross country and no bridging equipment he had could hold the weight when the Americans blew the far too few bridges that could hold the weight up in his face.

Rather than two years from idea to battlefield, one year.
It's just tracks and suspension, going from the work of the already in limited production M6 Heavy, put on the M4

Just like magic, poof production capacity appears and logistics movement is accomplished via teleportation.

You aren’t getting the 90mm in a Sherman turret and the Pershing couldn’t use any extant engineering bridges, tank tractors, or landing craft.
You could get a 90mm into a turret for the Sherman. the M36 used the same size turret ring (69") and when M36 hull production fell behind they used excess M4A3 hulls to make up the gap. Also they tested the M26 turret (also 69" turret ring) on a Sherman but felt it was too top heavy for the narrower hull. The test was done on a VVSS Sherman (narrow tracks) so the HVSS version may have been better. But the Pershing was in the pipeline so ...

The Pershing could use the bridges. There were modification kits made for the bailey bridges but they had not been supplied to every bridge kit in the vast stock of equipment that had been built up for the campaign. Without the mod kit there was a much higher likelyhood of causing damage to the bridge due to the tight clearances on the treadways. It was decided to hold off deploying the M26 until most of the rivers had been crossed and they were on the central German plain.

Especially when the US decided that to many companies had been pulled in to make M3 and then M4 medium by 1942, and I'd have to check, but I believe 4-6 companies did not get further production contracts for armored vehicles, plus the Criminally underused Burlington Tank Arsenal that should have made thousands of M7 tanks, made under two dozen
The M7 was supposed to be a light tank but grew until it was in the medium class and provided little (if any) improvement over the M4. So it was (mericully) put out of its misery. There is a website with total production numbers by model and factory on the web along with a whole lot more Sherman information. there are also some very good armor discussion sites where this kind of thing is 'discussed' with great passion. I could post some of the ones I feel are the better ones if allowed or by PM if anyone likes.

Actual large scale tank battles before 1944 might have changed some minds.
And you're right in terms of numbers. 2324 M36 built in 1944+1945 are low numbers by U.S. standards., specially since it's a lot lower than the over 6700 M10 built in 1942+1943.
Perhaps they felt that having part of their tanks with 76 guns reduced the need for Tank Destroyers?
Actually the M36 was still considered an interim TD. The M18 was the one the Tank Destroyer Force wanted

Thanks to everyone for the input to my question.
Yes I understand US Army tactics were for using tanks to support infantry on the battlefield and exploit breakthroughs while tank destroyers were to handle enemy armor. That the 75mm gun was more suited for this. However there was a minority within the army’s ranks that disagreed with this even before D-Day. As we know the line between tanks and tank destroyers began to blur quickly as the allies advanced across France. The evidence of this is the continuation of enhancing the M10 and M36 with hull mounted machine guns for instance to try and turn them into a true tank, which they were never meant to be.

If I’m not mistaken, by the end of the war, all production of the Sherman 75 had ended in favor of 76’s. Even then only a small amount were Easy Eights. Hindsight is always 20-20, but from everything I’ve read M4 crews were clamoring for the 76’s by the end of the war.