Into the Cincoverse - The Cinco de Mayo EU Thread and Wikibox Repository

Friday night also sees the first Play-In game, with Chargers RFC - who took the 14th position in the table for the second consecutive year - will hope that Pete Carroll, brought onboard in the winter break, can keep them up out of the Second Division through the Play-In once again. They will face off in the first Play-In match against fourth-placed Second Division Los Angeles Aztecs, making a short trip down the highway; while we'd probably rather be Chargers after they escaped the guaranteed drop, Aztecs are no slouch.

Saturday afternoon's matchup will be a very different affair, as Seattle heads out east to Boston in a rematch of the 2015 Championship Final. Redskins narrowly evaded the permanent drop and bid adieu thus to Green Bay, but if we're being honest, we'd probably rather be Seattle here. The Redskins look tired, old, and gassed, and a thirty-year run in the top division for a storied club looks to be drawing to a (hopefully for them, brief) end; Seattle supporters, meanwhile, will be ecstatic at a chance to face off against West Coast rivals Chargers the following weekend for a chance to return to the first flight after the humiliation of "First to Worst" two years ago.
I'm kinda missing how it works: the Chargers arrived third to last and are going to face the Aztecs which arrived 4th? Is there a playoff in the 2nd division to decide which teams are going to go to the play-ins? The way I understood it I thought the third to last in the 1st division were going to meet the 3rd placed in the 2nd division. Also, Seattle (how are they called, by the way?) is going to face the Boston Redskins which I suppose arrived second to last...and then they're going to face the Chargers? Why?

I'm kinda missing how it works: the Chargers arrived third to last and are going to face the Aztecs which arrived 4th? Is there a playoff in the 2nd division to decide which teams are going to go to the play-ins? The way I understood it I thought the third to last in the 1st division were going to meet the 3rd placed in the 2nd division. Also, Seattle (how are they called, by the way?) is going to face the Boston Redskins which I suppose arrived second to last...and then they're going to face the Chargers? Why?
So, here's how it works, with the 2024 teams used to illustrate. Inspired by the promotion playoff in the UK.

Championship

14. Chargers RFC (Play-In)
15. Boston Redskins (Play-In)
16. Green Bay RFC (Relegated)

Second Division

1. Philadelphia Federals (Promoted)
2. Cincinnati Bengals (Promoted)
3. Seattle (Play-in)
4. Los Angeles Aztecs (Play-in)

So the Play-In, essentially, is a fight for the third spot. It is guaranteed at least one of those two Championship teams gets dropped, just not which one; in some cases, both might drop if the 3 or 4 out of the 2nd Division wins the Play-In.

(And I unfortunately have yet to decide on the club name for Seattle; leaning Seahawks (Go 12s!) for simplicity but amenable to Mariners, too, since the baseball club is Rainiers ITTL)

Championship

14. Chargers RFC (Play-In)
15. Boston Redskins (Play-In)
16. Green Bay RFC (Relegated)

Second Division

1. Philadelphia Federals (Promoted)
2. Cincinnati Bengals (Promoted)
3. Seattle (Play-in)
4. Los Angeles Aztecs (Play-in)

So the Play-In, essentially, is a fight for the third spot. It is guaranteed at least one of those two Championship teams gets dropped, just not which one; in some cases, both might drop if the 3 or 4 out of the 2nd Division wins the Play-In.
Ooooohh, it make sense. I thought it was 14th-I div vs 3rd-II div and 15th-I div vs 2nd-II div.