In Britannia Salutem

One last post before I am submerged under piles of A4:oops:

This is page 71 of the ITTL version of the D.B.M Army Lists, for use with De Bellis Multudinis Wargames Rules, Book 2 500BC to 534AD, 2nd ed 1998 (I stopped playing DBM in 2006) pub by GYGR (the ITTL version of the Wargames Research Group).

81. POST-ROMAN PRYDANNIAN 407AD-600AD

Cold, Ag 1, WW, Rv, H(S), H(G), Wd, E, RGo, M, Rd, BUA

CinC-Reg Cv(O) @28AP or Reg Kn(F) @31AP 1

Prydannian ally general – Reg Cv(O) @18AP or Irr Cv(O) @12AP 0-3

Heavy Cavalry Reg Kn(F) @11AP 0-8

Cavalry-Reg Cv(O) @8AP or Irr Cv(O) @7AP 8-15

Light Cavalry on hill ponies- Irr LH(O) @5AP 0-5

Heavy Infantry-Reg Bd(O) @7AP 0-8

Infantry-Reg Ax(S) @3AP or Irr SP(I) @3AP 36-120

Archers-Reg Bw(I) @4AP or Irr Ps(O) @2AP 0-4

Only before 425AD

West Roman Allies-Late Imperial Roman (Bk 2) 0-14

Only between 450AD and 480AD

West Roman Allies-Patrician Roman (Bk 2) 0-14

Only between 429-451AD

Saxon Keels-Irr Bts(O) @2AP(Wb) 0-3

Saxon Mercenaries-Irr Wb(S) @5AP 1 per Bts

After 453AD

Angle allies- List Old Saxon, Frisian, Batavian, Thuringian or Early Angle (Bk 2)

After 460AD

Fleet- Irr Bts (O) @3AP (Wb(O)) 0-4

Crews-Irr Wb(O) at 3AP 1 per Bts

Only after 580AD

Praying Monks- Irr Hd(I) @0.5 AP 0-2

The list covers Prydannian armies from the departure of Constantine IIIs field army until just after the collapse of the Council of Britannia in about 586AD. We have assumed that the early military framework was based on the Roman garrison limitanei that Constantine III left behind. Regular cavalry represents possible surviving units of the northern border army. The heavy infantry represents the infantry based in Eboracum and to a lesser extent in Venta which are mentioned as being at least the equal of Roman units in records of the Hallian Empire. The Heavy cavalry is of course that created by Artos (it cannot be used after 550AD). Roman allies represent the various “rescues” mentioned by Gildas and the armies of Aetius, Aegidius and Syagrius in campaigns against the Franks and Visigoths. The praying monks were attacked by an Ostanglii leader in 592AD who decided that those who invoked the gods against him were not non-combatants. Such instances are very unlikely after 600AD.

EDIT:my spacing seems to go haywire when I post this?

Last edited:
The King of Legend

The King of Legend (1951) is an historical novel by Norsaecs author Aelfred Dughannson based on the life of Ebissa Hengistson, founder of the Kingdom of Norsaecs. His later novel Conscience of the King (1962) concerns one of Ebissa's most famous descendants, Eadwulf the Great.

The story begins with Ebissa's birth in 425 CE, ending shortly before his death in 486 CE. Britannia now consists of small Lordships battling each other whilst also fighting off Irish, Picts, Jutes, Angles and Saxons. Ebissa is the youngest son of Hengist, Leader of a Saxon war band, who settles in Tanatus.

The novel purports to be Ebissa's personal memoir and essentially fictional, although certain characters and events are found in the historical record. He plans to deposit the manuscript in a ruined church, which means it will not be read for centuries and he can be completely honest. Ebissa feels true affection only for his children and does not hesitate to remove those who stand in his way, including family members. This ruthlessness is a quality shared by others, including his brother and wife. He recognises and values honour and loyalty in people such as the Romano-British leader Artos and this makes him an interesting, multi-dimensional character.

The first part of the book covers Ebissa's life; he is a generally loyal supporter of his father but frustrated by his lack of patience. This ends in his mid-20s when he kills Vortigern after the treachery at Stonehenge (although he freely admits that his father had planned similarly) and flees north of the wall. He establishes himself in the old Votadini lands slaying Lot in a surprise attack.

The book then follows the campaign against the Suetids and Ebissa’s growing respect for Artos as firstly a warrior and then as a trusted ally. It is also brutally honest about his failings in the aftermath of this war which led to his being deposed by Aescwine.

The book then covers Ebissa’s period in hiding and how he seizes his chance to regain the leadership of the Saxons after Aescwine’s disastrous involvement in the madness of Urien.

The final part of the book, shows Ebissa building the Kingdom of Norsaecs and his love for the family of his old age, especially his elder son Octa. It ends with Ebissa planning to go to Artos’ aid against Cerdicus.

Historical background

The main sources for Ebissa himself are from the Saecson Chronicle, the Historia Pryddonum and Bede, all written centuries later and subject to selective editing. It is generally agreed that the number of references mean Ebissa was a real and important historical figure but we know very little else. This is also true of other historical characters referenced in the book but especially Aelle, Vortigern, Vortimer and Hengist.

The traditional view of Post-Roman Britannia was driven by a reliance on the limited written sources cited above. The novel's portrayal of this period as far more complex has been confirmed by archaeological discoveries in the last 30 years and reassessment of the historical evidence. As he was writing in the late 1940s, this is a considerable achievement and the book builds logical and realistic scenarios based on the few facts available.

A good example is the treatment of Artos. Dughannson provides a rare perspective of this figure from the Saecson side. It highlights various aspects of his character which tend to be forgotten in more traditional approaches to his story, such as his temper, which was slow to build but frightening in its intensity when unleashed, as when dealing with the apparent treachery of his wife and son.

Last edited:
472 AD
Venta

Decidivatus stretched and yawned. He was feeling every one of his years and was looking forward to relinquishing the administration to his deputy Eucherius. Thirty or so years he had been in charge and he wanted a rest! However Artos was loathe to letting him do so although he had finally accepted that it was going to happen and had agreed that Eucherius would take over after the next Council meeting in Viroconium.

Decidivatus looked irritably at his assistant who had coughed gently

“Sa, what is it?”

“The Commander of the Garrison and his deputy are here to see you.”

“Oh, very well show them in.”

A moment later Lucius and Ianus were standing in front of him.

“What is it?” asked Decidivatus.

Lucius stood for a moment and then started

“We both wish to retire.”

Decidivatus smiled

“I’m not surprised but why?”

“You will be going at the end of the Council meeting and since I have never got along particularly well with Eucherius. It would be better if the new administrator had a new Commander of the garrison.”

“And you don’t want the post Ianus?” queried Decidivatus although he well knew the answer.

Ianus actually shuddered!

“Na, I’m a manager not a leader and would be no use in any sort of military action.”

Decidivatus thought for a minute, some sort of continuity would be useful but they both had a point.

Lucius added

“However we do have an idea.”

This was interesting, just what had these two come up with between them? Na, Decidivatus realised, it would be Ianus’ plan. He was the thinker.

“Please go on.”

“Well, it is difficult running the watchmen as part of the garrison. The needs are different.”

Decidivatus said nothing so Lucius continued.

“So what if we split the watch from the garrison. Then we could have bases around Venta each of which would be responsible for a given area. We could use old soldiers as watchmen, they have experience and we could also train up young men. The army can’t take all of them.”

Decidivatus smiled this was not only interesting but it was also a good idea.

“Who would be in charge?”

“Us, well at least to start with.”

“Na, who would you report to?”

“The Chief Magistrate.”

Decidivatus shook his head

“Na, good though he is, he lacks a certain, shall we say, objectivity.”

“Then whom?”

Decidivatus smiled

“Why me of course! It will keep me near the centre of things yet without the load of administering this Lordship.”

He paused

“I need to take this to Lord Artos, but I can’t see him objecting. How do you see the organisation?”

Ianus answered

“Each watch base will be under the charge of a Decurion, there will be 10 men in each base. Half on day duty half on night.”

“Na, have an Optio in charge of the base and the Decurion can be in charge of the night duty. You would be Praefectus and Tribunus if we are sticking to the old army names, we might have to think of something more Britannian later.”

Decidivatus chuckled

“However even Praefectus is better than “vetus faciem lapis”.

Lucius started

“How, oh never mind!”

Looks like things are about to get grim in Artos' household.

And the old guard gives way to the new. As always the world is reborn, but this means new intrigues, new threats and new problems

472 AD
Noviodunum

Syagrius stalked the halls of his family villa near Noviodunum. Aegidius, his father, lay dying and there was nothing that could be done about it. It was as if his father had given up. Certainly he had recovered from a worse illness late the previous year. However the news from Italia which had just reached them seemed to suck all the life out of him. It had seemed that Iulianus Nepos had been coming out on top in the long running civil war which had raged up and down Italia since his father had fled. However he had been assassinated by one Orestes, a Pannonian who had risen to be Nepos’ general. The situation which had been stabilising had immediately collapsed once more into a struggle for power between Orestes and the other remaining claimant to the purple, Olybrius.

The vultures were circling as the jackals fought over the corpse of the Empire. Certainly Theodomir had advanced to the Padus and only the civil war which had broken out between the four sons of the recently deceased Burgundian King Gondioc had prevented their advance towards Mediolanum.

Syagrius was shaken out of his reverie by a servant.

“My Lord, there is a squad of what look like Roman soldiers approaching the villa.”

Syagrius frowned apart from a small squad most of their troops were on the boundaries of the lands that they controlled, keeping an eye on the Franks, Visigoths and Burgundians.

He came to a rapid decision.

“Saddle my horse and order the Centurion to assemble his troops.”

The servant ran to carry out his instructions.

A short while later Syagrius rode out at the head of a small squad of men and waited. The unknown squad approached. Whoever they were they comported themselves like true Roman soldiers rather than a war band of one of the tribes.

“Halt!” he cried

“Who approaches the Villa of Aegidius?”

A rather tired looking man bearing the insignia of a Primus Pilus approached, accompanied by a younger man.

“The villa of Aegidius, you say?”

“Certe” replied Syagrius.

The Primus Pilus sighed in evident relief

“Finally. Who are you, Sir?”

“I am Syagrius, son of Aegidius and currently acting Magister Militum of Gallia.”

“I bring a message from Nepotianus to Aegidius.”

Syagrius raised his eyebrows

“How, Nepotianus has been dead this past year!”

The Primus Pilus sighed

“I was given my orders over a year ago. It has taken me that long to reach here. I have a token to show that I speak the truth.”

He advanced slowly holding a tablet in his hand which he passed to Syagrius. Syagrius read it and looked at the Primus Pilus in surprise.

“Really?”

The Primus Pilus nodded and once again Syagrius came to a quick decision.

“Centurion”

“Yes Sir”

“Billet these men and see that they are fed. Primus Pilus”

“Yes Sir”

“You, come with me to my father. Bring your message with you.”

The Primus Pilus nodded and turned to his men

“Follow this Centurion’s orders as if they were my own. You (here he nodded to the young man who stood with him) come with me to deliver the message.”

NOTE:Apologies for the time since the last post and this one's brevity. Events have conspired against me and this has sort of taken over as a relief valve.

472 AD
At a Death Bed

Syagrius led Geladius and the young man along a corridor. They came to a stop outside a door. Just as Syagrius was about to enter a rather careworn middle aged man came out.

Syagrius looked at him

“Well Galenius?”

“He has just awoken and is with us at the moment. He was asking for you.”

“Very well” replied Syagrius.

“Can he receive visitors?”

Galenius looked at the two men who were with him.

“Yes, but take care not to over-excite him.”

Syagrius nodded and Galenius walked away down the corridor.

“He is the son of my father’s old surgeon. Also a medical man” added Syagrius to Geladius’ questioning look.

“Too few of them still remaining. Well, at least good ones” acknowledged Geladius.

Syagrius nodded

“If only we could establish some stability so that people can learn again!”

He sighed

“They’re beginning to manage it in Britannia and who would have thought that a few years ago!”

Syagrius shrugged

“Let’s get your message to my father.”

He opened the door to the room and they went in.

Geladius was struck by how frail Aegidius looked. Although he had only seen him at a distance many years before, his impression had been of a strong person both in body and mind, not this frail old man.

“Father, there are some visitors here for you. They bear a message from Nepotianus.”

The old man looked at his son

“How? Has he risen from the grave like Lazarus?”

Geladius changed his opinion, Aegidius’ mind, at least at the moment, was still sharp.

“Na, this message was sent before he died. Unfortunately the bearer had to take a rather circuitous route.”

Aegidius pushed himself up

“Well Odysseus, what is your message?”

Syagrius turned to Geladius

“He means you!”

“What..oh of course, the ten year voyage home!”

Before Geladius could speak, the young man who had come with him, pushed his way forward. Aegidius’ eyes bulged and he began to shake. However he irritably pushed his son away and finally spoke

“Ave, Caesar moriturus te salutat”

NOTE: Again apologies for the brevity. RL has struck with a vengeance. Posts will be much more sporadic for the foreseeable future.

The "kid" is roughly 20! He was born in about 450/451 AD.
How does twenty years pass so quickly;)

Lol I am older than that and I consider myself barely more than a kid. Then again, if I survived the messy and backstabby late roman politics, I might not.
Still, I'm thinking Syagrius would expect he is the one to lead next. If Cerdicus end up in charge, things are going to be weird.

472 AD
The Muses

It was early in Autumn, but the weather was still pleasantly warm and sunny. Lucius was stood in his office and staring out of the window watching the garrison doing drills. In theory, he should have been attending to all the administration involved in a changing of command, however Ianus had taken it all in hand (as usual). This left Lucius with very little to do and he was enjoying the peace and quiet. Then he spied Gulielmus making his way towards his office. Lucius sighed, he strongly suspected that his peace was about to be broken!

Indeed a few moments later Gulielmus was stood in front of his desk.

“There’s been another one!”

“Another what?” asked Lucius, although he strongly suspected that he already knew the answer.

“Another statuette of Clio”

This wasn’t what Lucius had expected!

“Pardon?”

Gulielmus sighed and started again

“Another statuette of Clio has been stolen and its broken remains found a little way away.”

Lucius gave Gulielmus a look

“And you’ve brought this to my attention because..?”

“It’s the seventh in the space of a few days.”

“I assume that you suspect that it’s more than somebody having a dislike of writing! I would be a suspect in that case!”

Gulielmus just looked at him. Lucius raised his hands

“A joke”

“Oh. Anyway, you’re correct. They were all made by the same firm. That of Castor near the Golden Amphora.”

“Wasn’t he involved with Falerix?”

“Yes, but only very incidentally. There wasn’t enough to arrest him.”

“Why come to me? This is the sort of puzzle which is your forte!”

Lucius paused

“Ianus sent you, didn’t he?”

Gulielmus nodded

“He wants you doing something to stop brooding.”

“Get me from being under his feet whist he arranges the changeover!”

Gulielmus shrugged

“I agree that is the most likely reason. However I would appreciate your presence. Your being involved might loosen some tongues.”

“More likely stop them wagging! However let’s get started.”

Gulielmus took Lucius to all the places where the statuettes had been stolen. They were scattered all over Venta. Lucius was puzzled.

“Well it’s not plain robbery. Some of these have far more valuable items much more easily accessible. So the only connection is that these statuettes were all from Castor?”

“Sa. They are all part of a set of nine, one for each muse. However in each case it was only Clio that was taken.”

“How did you find the connection?”

Gulielmus looked surprised.

“I asked where they had got the statuettes from. It seemed an obvious question to ask!”

“Not to me” replied Lucius.

“Look, it is almost sunset. We’ll go and visit Castor tomorrow.”

The next day, Gulielmus told Lucius that not only had another statuette of Clio been stolen and broken but that there had also been a murder. They both went to the scene, a small villa on the outskirts of Venta, owned by Horatius, one of Decidivatus’ assistants. During the night, Horatius had been awakened by the sounds of a scuffle outside. He had eventually gone to investigate and had found the body. Lucius examined the body which had not yet been taken away. He recognised it.

“That’s Marcianus, one of Falerix’s henchmen!”

Lucius thought for a moment

“He fled when we closed Falerix down a few years ago. He hasn’t been seen since. Well not until now. Why did he come back, and why is he dead?”

At that moment, a slightly disreputable man sidled up.

“What do you want, Madoc? There’s nothing for you to acquire here!”

“I saw what happened, Commander.”

“Oh”

“I was walking down the road minding my own business, when I saw Marcianus hiding behind a tree. I wondered what he was doing, so I stopped and kept watching. After a moment or two a small dark haired man with a scar on the left hand side of his face came out of this house carrying a bundle. Marcianus leapt out at him. They had words and a scuffle broke out. The small man managed to push Marcianus away. Marcianus took a step back but seemed to trip over his own feet and fell hitting his head on a rock. He didn’t get up. The small man looked horrified and scurried away only pausing to smash the bundle against that wall over there. He looked in it but didn’t find what he was looking for and ran off down the road. The owner of the house came out and raised the alarm, so I scarpered.”

“Why tell me this?”

“I thought that there might be a reward of some sort.”

Lucius sighed and spun a solidus to Madoc.

“Thank You, Commander.”

Madoc sidled away. Lucius straightened himself.

“I always feel the need to wash after talking to him. Come on Gulielmus, we need to speak to Castor.”

They found Castor in his office. He was very forthcoming about the statuettes.

“They were a set that I made and sold a few years ago. Why anyone would want to destroy the Clios is beyond me. Of course I know to whom I sold them. I keep records for all my business dealings.”

“Legitimate ones, at least!” murmured Lucius to Gulielmus.

Castor found the list of who bought the set of muses.

“We made ten sets.”

Gulielmus looked at the list.

“I suggest we are near here tonight.”

Lucius looked at the list.

“Indeed, the other one would need more than a simple break in!”

So that night, Lucius, Gulielmus and two other guardsmen waited outside the address that Gulielmus had indicated. The night passed slowly but just before dawn they saw the small man approaching.

“Let him break in. We warned the owner, so he should have no trouble finding the statuette.”

A few moments later, the small man came out and paused to break the statuette. He examined the remains and cursed. He cursed even more when he was seized by the guardsmen.

Lucius looked closely at him

“Why, it is Portius, Falerix’s little helper. I nearly didn’t recognise you with that scar. Long time, no see.”

“I’ve been trapped in Armorica for the past few years. That’s where I gained this” replied Portius indicating his scar.

“Why the interest in Clio?”

Portius said nothing more and was escorted away.

“He slipped the net, all those years ago, as did Marcianus. What had he hidden, that was so valuable, that he came back?” muses Lucius.

“There’s only one way to find out” answered Gulielmus.

“Oh joy!”

A few hours later both Lucius and Gulielmus were in the presence of Artos and his wife, Findabair.

“You want to what” asked Artos?

“Smash the statuette of Clio. I have a replacement here” answered Lucius.

“They are of little importance but thank you.”

The statuette of Clio was brought into the room. Artos lifted it up and smashed it on the floor. Findabair gasped in surprise.

“That is magnificent!”

There glistening in the shards of the broken statuette was a large and lustrous pearl.

“I have never seen one that large!” whispered Findabair.

“I have” replied Artos.

“It disappeared from my father’s villa just before he was killed. It is an old family heirloom. How did it get to be in this statuette?”

“Somehow it ended up in Falerix’s hands. When we raided him, Portius must have seized it and run. Not wanting to be caught with it, he must have climbed into Castor’s back yard where these were waiting to be fired. He pushed it into the base of one of the Clios intending to get it back later. Unfortunately for him it was much later! I assume that he had some hold on Castor, so that Castor gave him the list of buyers as he did us. Portius had been working his way through them.”

Artos frowned.

“Marcianus?”

“An unlucky chance” added Lucius.

“Well, the pearl is returned. I am in your debt. You are the one who suggested a civilian force of watchmen, did you not?”

Lucius nodded.

Artos smiled

“Well if it keeps people like you in some sort of harness that can only to be to the good of the civitas. It has my support as well.”

“Thank you, My Lord” replied Lucius.

NOTE: Yes I know that this is “The Six Napoleons” slightly altered for the time and place! Lucius and Gulielmus will have a recurring role in this timeline. I rather like them!

Last edited:
472 AD
Noviodunum

Syagrius was sat on a bench in what could still be called a garden despite it not having been tended properly for many years. His father had been buried the day before and he was still grieving. Added to that, he was no longer in charge. It was the young upstart Cerdicus! Oh, he was Majorian’s adopted son, his father’s near death bed acclamation was enough for Syagrius to accept that as a fact. After all Aegidius had met him on several occasions.

Also Syagrius could accept that he was a gifted leader. The way that he had bonded survivors and refugees from several different units into one cohesive whole proved that. No, it was the fact that he, Syagrius, was no longer in charge. He had spent years thinking that he would succeed his father. Hadn’t he successfully led armies against the Franks and Visigoths? Yet he was being shunted aside in favour of a youngster who had no experience in that field. He wasn’t even as Roman as Syagrius! He was the bastard son of a Briton and a Saxon! What right did he have to swan in and take over?

Just the fact that he had been adopted by Majorian, he acknowledged wryly to himself. That was a better claim to the purple than most, especially those still fighting for it in Italia. There was a discrete cough, Syagrius looked up. The major domo was stood there.

“Excuse me, Master. The Emperor asks for your presence.”

Syagrius shrugged, well at least it was asked rather than demanded. He stood up and followed the major domo.

He entered the room that had been where his father had consulted with the local authorities and his advisors. He pulled up short. The young pup had put had installed a chair that could only be described as a throne and was sat on it! Then he noticed that the table had been replaced. Instead of the old long wooden table which dated from his great grandfather there was a circular one. The old table was still in the room, but had been pushed to the side.

Syagrius took a moment to compose himself. The primus pilus, who had arrived with Cerdicus, had seen the emotions and expressions that had gone across his face. It wouldn’t do to be killed for them! Cerdicus had also seen them.

“Pax, Syagrius.”

Cerdicus paused

Syagrius realised that he was supposed to respond

“Salve, Caesar”

A slight smile flitted across Cerdicus’ face

“So you accept me as your Emperor”

“You do have a better legal claim than anyone else, Caesar.”

“Nicely put”

After a moment Cerdicus continued

“I do not think that it is my being Emperor that has upset you. It is the fact that I have, for the moment, taken the place that you feel is rightfully yours. After all you have defended this part of the Empire successfully for many years. Both with and without your father.”

“Caesar is wise”

To Syagrius’ surprise Cerdicus laughed

“Na, I am too young to be wise. In your eyes I am an inexperienced and callow youth who has yet to prove himself. You would not be wrong in such an assumption. However I intend to do so.”

For the next hour Cerdicus questioned Syagrius about the composition, quality and location of the troops that he commanded. Syagrius was also surprised at how quickly Cerdicus had apprised himself of the political situation of the area.

“I need a quick victory to help cement my position. The best bet would seem to be against those Franks who have drifted across the Rhenus. The Franks have not fully recovered from your and Artos’ campaign over ten years ago. Are your troops up to this?”

“Sa, Caesar”

“Good. I name you as my Magister Militum. The troops are loyal to you and will follow your orders without question. There would always be some worry about my orders. I will accompany you on the campaign. I need to prove myself both to your troops and to the local leaders so that they will follow me willingly.”

“Ave, Caesar”

Ah, so that is how Syagrius is handled. Wise, actually. Everyone is tired of civil wars, anyway. Let's see if they can handle this one.

ctayfor

Monthly Donor
Civil wars were very much a Roman disease. The political structure of the empire and the endemic corruption rather made them inevitable and they were only deferred by strong emperors. As soon as someone weak, or perceived as such came along, then it's off to the races again. Think of the whole political atmosphere of Italy from earliest times as the Sicilian Mafia writ large. People like Cincinnatus were anomalies.

472 AD
Viroconium

The annual meeting at Viroconium had started as usual. There was much discussion about the harvest, which had only been satisfactory that year due to a really wet spring and then a blazing summer. However all agreed that there would be no shortages but hoped that next year would be more normal as far as the weather was concerned!

There had been no raids at all that year. Hibernian boats had made the crossing but had only been interested in trade rather than plunder.

“A bit of a surprise” said Emrys of Arfon “but a very welcome one. However it won’t take much to set them off again. There are all sorts of rumours circulating about disquiet with their new High King. The Lords are not too happy with his attempts to clip their wings.”

“We shall have to wait and see” replied Utha.

“At least the regular patrols now being mounted from Portum Insulum should keep any attempts to restart raids quashed before they get near to our coasts.”

The discussion had then moved on to the situation in northern Gallia. There was much surprise that Syagrius had seemingly accepted Cerdicus as his Emperor.

“It is said that Aegidius proclaimed Cerdicus Emperor on his death bed” reported Artos.

“It would certainly explain why Syagrius accepts him” answered Cador.

“Indeed” added Virianus.

“It would be difficult to gainsay such an acclamation from one’s own father, especially in the circumstances.”

“Also, I suspect, deep down Syagrius doesn’t want to be the ruler. Oh, if Cerdicus hadn’t turned up he would have succeeded his father, after all he has been de facto ruler of northern Gallia for many years. However, he didn’t enjoy all the hassles that come with civilian administration. He was much happier when leading the army.” added Artos.

“Much like someone else!” responded Decidivatus with a smile.

Artos nodded

“Sa, both myself and my father!”

Artos then continued

“Cerdicus making Syagrius his Magister Militum was a stroke of genius. It gives Syagrius what he wants and doesn’t demean him. It hints at greatness for the young man.”

“Well he has his hands full. Just restoring Gallia would be a lifetime’s work.” said Lucius.

“And that’s not even considering that he might well want Rome as well. Is there any news from Italia?”

It was Cador who answered

“It’s now down to two, Orestes who is aiming to put his son on the throne and Olybrius. However Olybrius is bottled up in Ravenna so I would think that Orestes will win before too long. I rather think that Orestes won’t last long either, there are strange rumours coming from Constantinople that Leo is thinking of sending Anthemius with a couple of legions to stabilise Italia.”

Decidivatus snorted

“More like getting rid of a claimant to his throne!”

“That or claiming Italia as part of his empire” acknowledged Cador.

“Libius Severus in Africa has already accepted Leo as his Emperor in return for money and some troops.”

“So the empire in the west is all but finished” noted Ida.

“It would seem so, but you never know” replied Artos.

c2000AD
Frontispiece to “The Karbrok History of the Hallian Empire”

Firstly a disclaimer! The Hallian Empire, as we now think of it, never actually existed. Nor to be honest, did what historians call the Second Gallic Empire. The first is a contrivance of first 9th Century Hallian bards giving a spurious legitimacy to the claims of the Frankish Emperor Pepin, the second is an invention of 18th Century historians trying to distinguish between the three Empires extant in the late 5th and early 6th Centuries. As far as Cerdicus through to Flavian II were concerned, they were the true Emperors in the West, no matter what those in Rome and/or Constantinople claimed. Even the Aegidii who ruled the rump Gallic state after the death of Flavian II considered themselves Roman (even after their absorption by the Franks in the early 7th Century).

The authors have attempted to write the only history to provide in concise form detailed coverage of the “Hallian” Empire from its Roman beginnings to its assimilation into the Frankish Kingdom of Hallia. Lively essays and beautiful illustrations portray the emergence and development of a distinctive period, covering from the fourth century to the mid-seventh century.

In AD 476, the Emperor Cerdicus the Great chose Lutetia, a Roman city on the Sequana, as his imperial residence. He renamed the place 'Parisia nova Roma', 'Paris, the new Rome' and the city (modern Pars) became the capital of his Roman empire. This new Rome outlived the old and Cerdicus' successors continued to regard themselves as the legitimate emperors of Rome.

Against a backdrop of stories of emperors, intrigues, battles, and bishops, this Karbrok History uncovers the hidden mechanisms - economic, social, and demographic - that underlay the history of events. The authors explore everyday life in cities and villages, manufacture and trade, machinery of government, the church as an instrument of state, minorities, education, literary activity, beliefs and superstitions, monasticism, the rise of Hallia, and the fusion with Frankish culture.

Chlothilde of the Franks

Chlothilde, daughter of Pharamund [1], King of the Franks, was beautiful, wise, honest, but had the misfortune to inspire a violent love from Chlodio [2], one of the noblemen at the court of her father.

Chlodio was a thorn in her father’s side as he had a claim to the Kingdom being descended from Merovech [3], but he was also valiant, warlike and skilful in all sorts of fights. When Chlothilde indignantly rejected the dishonest proposals of this man and drove him away from her, he spread slanderous rumours about her, and they were so serious and precise that the reputation of the poor woman was tarnished.

Pharamund, her father, came to believe in the rumours and decided on a trial where she would be sentenced to death if she was found guilty.

The court assembled, the accuser was overwhelming, and the poor innocent woman could not defend herself well enough. In a short time it was decided that she would be executed unless someone would show up, armed, to prove the charges were false by a fight.

But the accuser was a terrible and knighted warrior. Several days passed and no nobleman took the side of the princess.

At that time Cardice came to the court in some business. He was both prudent and brave, so he disguised himself as a monk [4] and asked to see the prisoner. He found her in tears and exhorted her to piety and prayer so well that Chlothilde took him for a real man of the church and wished to confess to him. He learnt from her confession that she was completely innocent.

Cardice left her without telling he was no clergyman, and told her to pray a lot. Then he went and put on his armour.

The last day of the period specified by the court had come. Chlothilde was led to the assembled lords. Chlodio was riding in the enclosure tournament field next to their tribune. He was armed and ready to combat anyone to defend what he had said against her.

The public executioner stood ready to carry out the sentence of the court while a herald made the customary summon, asking if nobody would defend the honour of the accused.

Suddenly a knight came riding, visor down. He made it clear he would fight to defend the wrongly accused princess.

Chlodio accepted the challenge. The gathered people thought the newly arrived knight would soon be killed in the fight, for the other had a reputation of being a cruel opponent. But Cardice was fighting for a wrongly accused innocent woman, and did not falter.

The fight was terrible, and for a long time it was uncertain how it would end, but, finally Cardice defeated his opponent and forced him to declare his crime. Chlodio confessed, was hanged and Chlothilde rehabilitated.

Pharamund and Chlothilde wanted to know the brave knight who had upheld rights of innocence. But as soon as Cardice had won the fight, he left for his own his country. No one at the court would know it was him who had fought for the life and honour of Chlothilde that day.

NOTES:

1. Considered to be Faramund, ruler of the Franks during the period when they consolidated their hold on the lands between the Rhenus and the Albus.

2. This is the same name as the ruler of the Franks who invaded Gallia in the mid-480s.

3. Unlikely as Childeric, the son of Merovech died childless. However it is possible that Chlodio is the son of one of Merovech’s daughters.

4. In legend Cardice often disguised himself so as to pass unnoticed and see what was happening first hand. Cerdicus (the historical figure upon whom Cardice is based) is not known to do so. However it is known that Cerdicus did visit Faramund (at the head of an army) in the mid 470s.

5. This is the ITTL children’s version of the OTL French folktale “The skills of Count Bérenger”. The original is far more graphic!

6. Blame @DanMcCollum for this :). My skills are obviously not up to his but the story of Caoimhe inspired this for better or worse!

Last edited: